The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Man, I just never understood the sweet potatoes with marshmallows.

Fav side is some tie between biscuits and mashed potatoes all slathered in gravy. Scratch that - it's the gravy.

Tomorrow: The ideal leftover turkey sandwich.
    I had two things today for the first time that I loved!  Sauteed asparagus with cumin and roasted beets.  Game changers for me.

Tomorrow @Jearlpam0925 I make turkey salad!!!

Turkey, mayo, celery, white vinegar and black pepper!!!

As in like a chicken salad - mayo-based salad jawn?

If so not far off from the ideal leftover turkey sandwich - now ya keep this thing simple. WHITE bread, gotta be white bread, the more food processed the better - Stroemann's, Wonder, etc; mayo on both slices, salt and pepper; throw on your turkey; then throw on those canned cranberry sauce slabs and salt it. Put it together. That's all that should make up a leftover turkey sandwich; tastes like childhood.
    Leave out the cranberry, it's good to actually taste the turkey!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    rgambs said:
    Man, I just never understood the sweet potatoes with marshmallows.

Fav side is some tie between biscuits and mashed potatoes all slathered in gravy. Scratch that - it's the gravy.

Tomorrow: The ideal leftover turkey sandwich.
    I had two things today for the first time that I loved!  Sauteed asparagus with cumin and roasted beets.  Game changers for me.

Tomorrow @Jearlpam0925 I make turkey salad!!!

Turkey, mayo, celery, white vinegar and black pepper!!!

As in like a chicken salad - mayo-based salad jawn?

If so not far off from the ideal leftover turkey sandwich - now ya keep this thing simple. WHITE bread, gotta be white bread, the more food processed the better - Stroemann's, Wonder, etc; mayo on both slices, salt and pepper; throw on your turkey; then throw on those canned cranberry sauce slabs and salt it. Put it together. That's all that should make up a leftover turkey sandwich; tastes like childhood.
    Leave out the cranberry, it's good to actually taste the turkey!
    Nah, man, that sandwich tastes like childhood.

Speaking of which, fried turkey:

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Wow that friend turkey looks awesome!

Hope everyone enjoyed their turkey.

Dueling Tacos (pulled pork & carne asada) the night prior to Thanksgiving was awesome.  I am a dipshit and forgot to take pictures.  Was half in the bag as I was cooking and there were 15 people snapping for their food by the time I was ready to serve.

Turkey Day food was frigging great.

Stuffing -- In my tradition, you put the stuffing IN the bird.  I think stuffing cooked outside of the bird suffers by comparison.  Time is skewed, but the different size turkeys and different ovens always mean that I roll with the thermo. 

Favorite Side Dish -- for me, it is the stuffing.  (Mashed Pots & Gravy finishes behind by a small bit)  Walnuts are textural weapons in the Stuffing Battles.

How about carving up the bird --- do more people carve from the bird or break down the bird and then slice?  (I remove the legs, things, wings, and breasts from the carcass.  Set aside and then slice.  My dad always used to just remove the meat in slices directly from the bird.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Carve the bird from the breastbone outward.
    No, that's not right, now that I think about it, I guess I pull legs and thighs and then do the breast.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    But you do not disassemble the bird and then cut?
    My mom always chuckles at watching me do that, but I find it is much easier.  I also use a regular knife.  My dad used to use an electric knife jobber.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited November 2017
    I disassemble and then cut.  Definitely my least favorite thing to do as part of a turkey meal.

My uncle who was responsible for carving this Thanksgiving sounds like your dad. Cut directly from the bird with an electric knife
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    I disassemble and then cut.  Definitely my least favorite thing to do as part of a turkey meal.

My uncle who was responsible for carving this Thanksgiving sounds like your dad. Cut directly from the bird with an electric knife
    Even if you let that darn bird rest for 15 minutes prior to carving it still is some hot work.  Every time I think I really should wear some sort of gloves and not burn off my fingerprints the next time.  (And of course, I forget)
    But you do not disassemble the bird and then cut?
    My mom always chuckles at watching me do that, but I find it is much easier.  I also use a regular knife.  My dad used to use an electric knife jobber.
    No, I slice pieces from the breast on the carcass after the legs come off.  I usually forget to leave the thighs on for stability, but if I remember, I do that.
    I use an electric knife as well, it makes it easier, faster, and gives a cleaner cut.  You don't have to use a sawing motion, you just press directly downward, which allows for a ton of precision and eliminates any yaw, which would leave ragged edges and turn too much juice on the loose.
    Interesting.....
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The hell is "yaw"?

My dad used the electric knife too, no initial disassembly.  Dude was a pro :)
    hedonist said:
    The hell is "yaw"?

My dad used the electric knife too, no initial disassembly.  Dude was a pro :)
    Yaw is rotation on a vertical axis, so while you are sawing straight forward and back, if your elbow wanders toward or away from your body, the angle of the cut changes and you grind slivers of the meat up unnecessarily under the blade.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I rip the shits apart with my bare hands. 

Electric knives. Pshaw!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :lol:
    dankind said:

Electric knives. Pshaw!
    Hahaha how do you serve the trukey that gathers under your fingernails?
    Scrape and drop it in the gravy?
    Keep it all for yourself and savour it one nail at a time?

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

Electric knives. Pshaw!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    dankind said:

Electric knives. Pshaw!

Dip my hands in the gravy and then savor it myself one nail at a time. If the above happens, I get to savor it all over again. 

Savor the flavor. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    So, my beloved Amazon Fresh is going away as of tomorrow.  We have been using this for about a year and a half and would share 10 ways you can greatly benefit from this service if available in your area and you would like to discuss.  Awesome stuff...I guess they just didnt have enough people ordering in some ZIP Codes so they chose to suspend service.

One of the great things about it was getting the gourmet city shop type of shit from Philly/NY w/o having to drive in myself.

Pat LaFrieda is the name of the purveyor they supplied our whole, organic, chickens from.  These are a staple at my house.  With 4 of us, one 4 pound chicken is enough to join some beans, baby bok choy, and salad to make a dinner we all can enjoy and be relatively healthy with.

I went to their website to see about ordering directly from them....holy shit.  Check out what I found!!!

Rolled and Stuffed Hampshire Porchetta Roast (7 - 8 lbs)

http://shop.lafrieda.com/specialty-roasts/rolled-hampshire-porchetta-roast-frozen-7-8-lbs.html

"We're doing something special for this holiday. For a limited time, we are offering our Rolled and Stuffed Hampshire Porchetta Roast to our online customers. It's our take on an old Italian specialty. We take a Hampshire Pork Loin, wrap it in pork belly, and stuff it with sage, rosemary, oregano, garlic, fennel, lemon zest, salt, and pepper."

$99.00, so this is very pricey...but at this size you can serve a group or eat on it for days.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So, my beloved Amazon Fresh is going away as of tomorrow.  We have been using this for about a year and a half and would share 10 ways you can greatly benefit from this service if available in your area and you would like to discuss.  Awesome stuff...I guess they just didnt have enough people ordering in some ZIP Codes so they chose to suspend service.

One of the great things about it was getting the gourmet city shop type of shit from Philly/NY w/o having to drive in myself.

Pat LaFrieda is the name of the purveyor they supplied our whole, organic, chickens from.  These are a staple at my house.  With 4 of us, one 4 pound chicken is enough to join some beans, baby bok choy, and salad to make a dinner we all can enjoy and be relatively healthy with.

I went to their website to see about ordering directly from them....holy shit.  Check out what I found!!!

Rolled and Stuffed Hampshire Porchetta Roast (7 - 8 lbs)

http://shop.lafrieda.com/specialty-roasts/rolled-hampshire-porchetta-roast-frozen-7-8-lbs.html

"We're doing something special for this holiday. For a limited time, we are offering our Rolled and Stuffed Hampshire Porchetta Roast to our online customers. It's our take on an old Italian specialty. We take a Hampshire Pork Loin, wrap it in pork belly, and stuff it with sage, rosemary, oregano, garlic, fennel, lemon zest, salt, and pepper."

$99.00, so this is very pricey...but at this size you can serve a group or eat on it for days.

Oh, that looks delicious. Not sure I'd pay $99 for it though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited December 2017
    The whole chicken I baked tonight was sublime.  The white meat was juicier than the dark.  
    Family picked the carcass clean.

I told them about the roast and they all wanted in on it.  ;)
    The girls laid early this morning so I fried 3 up broken yolk style and had some delish bacon egg and cheese sandwiches on toast.  Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Sugardale thick sliced bacon, a dash of ketchup and a double dash of my homemade hot sauce.
    Cabot SS Cheddar.  I eat a piece (at least) every day I am home.
    Cannot go wrong.
    Been slacking of late. Though hopping back on the horse tonight. Arugula, green onions, blanched asparagus and green beans, roasted beets, grilled shrimp with goat cheese, olive oil and lemon

Tomorrow is a big day. Christmas tree day. Pick up the tree from down in south philly. Lamb shanks braising for much of the day and finished off with a little home alone action 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Does anyone shop at Aldi? One opened up in the area recently. I know it’s a lot less expensive than the big chain grocery stores (we have Martins & Weis), mostly because they don’t carry name brands. Just wondering about the quality of their products.
    I haven't although they do have one near me.
    Shopping changes for me this month as Amazon Fresh stops delivery to my ZIP code.  
    Fucked.
    I loved their service.  
    Back to ShopRite and Wegmans.  Wife goes to Whole Foods 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Does anyone shop at Aldi? One opened up in the area recently. I know it’s a lot less expensive than the big chain grocery stores (we have Martins & Weis), mostly because they don’t carry name brands. Just wondering about the quality of their products.
    Not to be a food snob but I stay from it. They usually ship in their products from all over the world wherever they find it the cheapest. If you're trying to source local food then Aldi is the furthest thing from it- along with other huge outlets. 
  • Breakfast burritos this morning!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    eddiec said:
    Not to be a food snob but I stay from it. They usually ship in their products from all over the world wherever they find it the cheapest. If you're trying to source local food then Aldi is the furthest thing from it- along with other huge outlets. 
    I’m just trying to save money on groceries. The only way to get local food here is farmers market. Which is only in the summer, and on Thursday mornings when I’m at work. Like, why not have it on the weekend, ya know, when people can actually go?
    My wife is a gigantic aldi fan. I find the Trader Joe's/Aldi story to be pretty interesting.

Regardless, I am down with it.  It is especially outstanding for things like snacks, cereals, spices, paper products, soaps, etc. Day to day things. We will occasionally get meat or frozen fish there, but not our go to. It is extremely well priced. I was a hater for a long time and I still rarely go, but I have absolutely no complaints about what the wife comes home with, especially given the price point.

They also have a shit load of random stuff. My sister in law bought a pressure washer. Aldi is basically 'Food & Stuff'

https://youtu.be/54SdxmRHV6U