Options

Riot Act: How has your view of it changed after 14+ years?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Definitely a fan and have always liked it.
    I still can't get over how great RA sounds on vinyl.  All the nuances come out and the sound is so solid, warm, powerful and/or subtle just as it was meant to be.  One of the all-time "must have on vinyl" records for me... so SO glad to have it at long last! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I still can't get over how great RA sounds on vinyl.  All the nuances come out and the sound is so solid, warm, powerful and/or subtle just as it was meant to be.  One of the all-time "must have on vinyl" records for me... so SO glad to have it at long last! 
    Same.. i always loved it. Lyrically its the best. Musically. Matts influence is mind blowing. Its my favourite album now. And to own the vinyl finally is a dream come true. Might spin it right now bri
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Fyi my new tattoo is riot act based
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    VOLAREVOLARE Posts: 314
    Like it better than I used to.
    I liked it but at the time was listening to much heavier music. Benaroya really got me to go back and listen to it more than I may have without hearing the acoustic cuts.  
    8-28-92 Harriet Island
    6-16-93 University Theatre, UM
    2-8-95 Adams Field House
    6-20-98 Washington-Grizzly Stadium
    5-28-03 Adams Field House
    8-29-05 Adams Field House
    7-22-06 Gorge Amphitheater
    9-3-11 Alpine Valley
    9-30-12 Adams Field House
    10-31-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    11-01-12 The Pearl - Eddie Vedder
    9-6-13 Key Arena
    6-20-14 Milan
    6-22-14 Trieste
    11-28-15 Mexico City
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited November 2017
    Nice, what's your tattoo of exactly?
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    funny to see this poll, ive been listening to this quite a bit at work lately.... always like the album but nowadays its one of their best.    
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    a masterpiece.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    Didn't care for it then, don't care for it now.
    Listened to this today and I still believe I am mine and half full are two of pj s best songs that need to be played more live.
      I also still believe you are is the worst Pearl Jam song ever. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
     still believe you are is the worst Pearl Jam song ever. 
    This has been wellllll documented haha! We know this opinion will not be changing anytime soon :lol:
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    edited November 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    This has been wellllll documented haha! We know this opinion will not be changing anytime soon :lol:
    My ex wife and current wife can not stand this song and always ask/ed me to skip this song if I was playing a boot.  This is probably the only thing they have in commmon lol. 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Im putting elements of the album in a design. The green disease skull and the 2 figures on the cover are gonna be in there i will be able to show it in feb when its done.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Same.. i always loved it. Lyrically its the best. Musically. Matts influence is mind blowing. Its my favourite album now. And to own the vinyl finally is a dream come true. Might spin it right now bri
    Cool!

Nice!

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My ex wife and current wife can not stand this song and always ask/ed me to skip this song if I was playing a boot.  This is probably the only thing they have in commmon lol. 

I'll admit it's not at the top of my list of songs on this album.  It's almost like it wants to be isolated and listened to on it's own terms or played at just the right time.  Maybe try listening to it by itself as though it is a semi-obscure b-side.  It has a cool, funky groove to it that works well for me at times.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Im putting elements of the album in a design. The green disease skull and the 2 figures on the cover are gonna be in there i will be able to show it in feb when its done.
    Cool!
    Central Park 15

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Vs. 
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt

I can't say I'd move it any higher than where I have it now, but I certainly enjoy listening to the album more these days.

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    edited December 2017
    I think it is great. I also think it would have been better if they left out 2 songs for B sides. (Green Disease + Bu$hleaguer)
    Would have been a classic album front to back.
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 836
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Man, you guys are missing something. This is one of the best songs on the album.
    ...........and Evelyn 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Man, you guys are missing something. This is one of the best songs on the album.
    said no one ever.
  • Options
    troysp1troysp1 Posts: 412
    Riot Act is my favorite Pearl Jam album, then Binaural.  
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

said no one ever.
    Watch your mouth! :rofl:
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Did not care for it much when it first came out, but got really into it a few summers ago. Inching it's way towards replacing No Code as my top dog.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,845
    edited December 2017
    Like it less than I did early on.
    Ed's vocals are especially mumbly and the band sounds old, slow and tired. Too many songs, imo. It's my least favorite.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

said no one ever.
    Mind blown here!  I love that song.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Agreed!  I love You Are!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited December 2017
    Have always been neutral on this one.
    Vs. 
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt

I can't say I'd move it any higher than where I have it now, but I certainly enjoy listening to the album more these days.

Decent enough album but no way will it ever crack my top six (same six as yours - and so many other's).
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    edited December 2017
    Ironically, I was disappointed in the following albums heavily when they came out:

No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Lightning Bolt

I liked them, but was hoping for something different (aka a similar formula like Vs or Vitalogy lol!). Funny thing is, the only one now not in my top 5 is LB, which easily sits in last place overall. Those other 3 are some beautiful pieces of musical art.

Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    This was released at a very low point in my life. I remember my mindset at the time, no matter what, I will go out and buy it on release day. And I did, I remember driving in the pouring rain to pick it up after work. It certainly served its purpose of keeping me sane and somewhat optimistic that all will be ok. And all was ok, over time.  I can't believe it's been that long. So it's hard to rate it on a poll level because it wasn't a matter of do I like this or that song but a matter of I just NEED this right now.  
  • Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    rummy said:
    Vs. 
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt

Decent enough album but no way will it ever crack my top six (same six as yours - and so many others).
    Two of my favorite songs these days are: Cropduster and 1/2 Full. Riot Act is where I started to drift away from the band. Honestly, I always felt their greatest album could’ve been combining the best of Riot Act and Avocado. 
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Vs. 
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt

Decent enough album but no way will it ever crack my top six (same six as yours - and so many others).
    Two of my favorite songs these days are: Cropduster and 1/2 Full. Riot Act is where I started to drift away from the band. Honestly, I always felt their greatest album could’ve been combining the best of Riot Act and Avocado. 
    Great idea!

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Riot Act is amazing.
  • Options
    treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,806
    Riot act is a master piece for me along with Binural  Yeild and No code.I love the off beats and timeing 

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014