Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    There's nothing like training for a big climb, it can keep you motivated for months.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I love you guys know what I'm putting down when I don't know how to say it. I don't want loose skin. A couple reviews I read about Piyo is that it wasn't easy and they were sore. So one can only hope it will help me. I store chub all over. Not naturally in one area. So it's tough for me to "see" progress.

I am enjoying the process. Mostly. Gonna keep on.

I had something more to say but can't see the posts as we're on a new page. I'll check back if I think of anything.

Thankful for all the insight thank you again. 

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    6 miles in 65 minutes, a new PR!
    Whoa! :clap: GO gambs!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    rgambs said:
    6 miles in 65 minutes, a new PR!
    Congratulations, rgambs!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    This week was a rollercoaster.
    Killer workouts 7 straight, bad food control.
    On and off the diet due to circumstances beyond my control and subsequent lack of willpower.
    177.0 at my lowest, 183.4 at my highest.

Final weigh in was an abysmal 181.8, but I felt like I looked better in the gym mirrors than ever before so maybe there was a little muscle gain.

I'm sad to see that I'm at a natural (but not ideal) weight and I'm going to have to fight tooth and nail from here out.
    Non scale victories as people call em. Nice gambs! Are you thinking plateau? I watched a video about about dude saying the way to get out of about slump is to add more weight. Not more weight to your lifts. More weight to your body. Wear a weighted vest. Explained the whole thing about how a heavier persons body works harder. His example was walking. Wear a weighted vest and walk at an incline to lose weight walking. I'm sure you're getting what I'm putting down but hope it makes sense.

I've been saying it - almost almost almost.... I am not almost anymore!!! I'm finally officially down 20.4 lbs!!!!! Wahoooooooo!!!!!! I'm starting my 19th week and I actually did! Met my goal! 

Never thought it was possible. Always told myself this is what it is I'm chubby. I'm not meant to be thin. Wow so untrue. But now I know I wasn't really trying and wasn't sticking with anything long enough. I am a different person now and I know what I want so that's important and has a lot to do with it.

Now on to counting down the next 20!!! I could be at my maintanance weight in prolly 4 months. Whoa. :open_mouth:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Non scale victories as people call em. Nice gambs! Are you thinking plateau? I watched a video about about dude saying the way to get out of about slump is to add more weight. Not more weight to your lifts. More weight to your body. Wear a weighted vest. Explained the whole thing about how a heavier persons body works harder. His example was walking. Wear a weighted vest and walk at an incline to lose weight walking. I'm sure you're getting what I'm putting down but hope it makes sense.

I've been saying it - almost almost almost.... I am not almost anymore!!! I'm finally officially down 20.4 lbs!!!!! Wahoooooooo!!!!!! I'm starting my 19th week and I actually did! Met my goal! 

Never thought it was possible. Always told myself this is what it is I'm chubby. I'm not meant to be thin. Wow so untrue. But now I know I wasn't really trying and wasn't sticking with anything long enough. I am a different person now and I know what I want so that's important and has a lot to do with it.

Now on to counting down the next 20!!! I could be at my maintanance weight in prolly 4 months. Whoa. :open_mouth:
    Get after it Foxy! 
    Great work.

My fitness level is really rocketing upward.
    I'm averaging 2 hours a day, I'm hitting 15 rep pull-up sets, I can do 40 rep push-up sets, and I'm stringing ten minute miles together easily.  I tried to use the elliptical today, didn't work very well.  I felt quad burn but couldn't get my heart rate over 120.
    Keep at it Foxy, it feels great when you meet goals or even just see yourself reflected off a window or something and you can see the difference.
    I'm going to run a 5k turkey trot, just for kicks.  Never ran a race before.
    Thanks gambs! Feels pretty dang good to do something I haven't before. I understand I can't change like my hip bones haha but it is possible to lose weight. People can be taught! :lol:

Are you dressing up for your turkey run? That'd be fun. 

Certainly sounds like your fitness is advancing! Maybe what you feel as bad food control is just simply you aren't eating enough....you are in a sense bulking right? 
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Thanks gambs! Feels pretty dang good to do something I haven't before. I understand I can't change like my hip bones haha but it is possible to lose weight. People can be taught! :lol:

Are you dressing up for your turkey run? That'd be fun. 

Certainly sounds like your fitness is advancing! Maybe what you feel as bad food control is just simply you aren't eating enough....you are in a sense bulking right? 
    Trying to bulk and slim at the same time lol
    Not easy!

I think I'm going to have a classy T-shirt made to advertise my wife's Optometry Practice since there will be a few thousand people there in a relatively small town.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I haven't exercised in a while, but I remember that my cardiologists strongly recommend it. I'll be back to it soon.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Trying to stay consistent hitting the gym, almost straight 8 weeks now. Not easy with all my injuries. It's the eating/appetite that's giving me problems. My days of having a body fat % near 10% are a distant past. Think I need to lose just 1 lb a year, for the rest of my life, to die in great shape when I'm 90  :D. Already been here for 58 years. My weight is just 5lbs more than I weighed at 18, mid 20s driving for UPS & 31, when I joined the NYC Fire Dept. 
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    Just ran a 7:30 mile! Woot!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited November 2017
    I've put on 10kgs this year. Since I stopped going to the gym due to injuring my knee. Keen to get back into it, my knee always hurts, will give it a try.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I've put on 10kgs this year. Since I stopped going to the gym due to injuring my knee. Keen to get back into it, my knee always hurts, will give it a try.
    Just be that dude that only lifts upper body and fuck anyone who has a problem with it!
    rgambs said:
    Just be that dude that only lifts upper body and fuck anyone who has a problem with it!
    I have no upper body strength. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    rgambs said:
    Sounds like destiny lol 
    The Fates have sent you a message, "work upon thy guns my son" they have said.

It's natural to want to stick with what you are good at, but tenacity is found in attacking your weaknesses!
    Don't tell me no excuses neither, get after them pecs and crush them arms.
    Start with incline push-ups, pull-ups and dips in the assist machine, and work the pecking deck if you feel ashamed of how little weight you can move in barbells and dumbells.
    Only the dumbest lunkhead roidragers look down on properly performed bodyweight exercises.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Sounds like destiny lol 
    The Fates have sent you a message, "work upon thy guns my son" they have said.

It's natural to want to stick with what you are good at, but tenacity is found in attacking your weaknesses!
    Don't tell me no excuses neither, get after them pecs and crush them arms.
    Start with incline push-ups, pull-ups and dips in the assist machine, and work the pecking deck if you feel ashamed of how little weight you can move in barbells and dumbells.
    Only the dumbest lunkhead roidragers look down on properly performed bodyweight exercises.
    My friend offered to give me his bar and weights as he no longer needs them.
    I've always disliked weights because I suck at it and take a long time to get over the soreness.
    You have to take your weaknesses in life and just...lean in.  You know? 
    Challenge yourself, grow and learn.  
    You're not tired, you're uninspired.

Get after it!
    edited November 2017
    rgambs said:
    180.9<183.5<185.1<187.7
    <178.0
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    My workouts have been killer.  Averaging 2.5 hours a day.  Running like a boss.  All good in the gym, but the struggle at home has been tough.
    I felt like giving up all week. Weight was just hovering mercilessly, every ounce out matched by an ounce in, and always hungry.  Friday and Saturday I had pizza and way too much chocolate.  Sunday I said "fuck it" and ate a glorious cravings box from Taco Bell.

I decided to go back off the diet and join the "bulk season" crowd and then everything came around.
    I'm not going to dirty bulk, but I'm not going to restrict calories as rigorously either.
    For now im focusing on huge amounts of protein and accepting the calories that come with.

I dunno, I'm in flux right now but I'm not worried.
    I'm pretty much addicted to working out, so whatever happens, I'll be better than I was before I started on this path.

I miss running on the treadmill at gym. My damn knee. Need to get it looked at (again).
    rgambs said:
    My workouts have been killer.  Averaging 2.5 hours a day.  Running like a boss.  All good in the gym, but the struggle at home has been tough.
    I felt like giving up all week. Weight was just hovering mercilessly, every ounce out matched by an ounce in, and always hungry.  Friday and Saturday I had pizza and way too much chocolate.  Sunday I said "fuck it" and ate a glorious cravings box from Taco Bell.

I decided to go back off the diet and join the "bulk season" crowd and then everything came around.
    I'm not going to dirty bulk, but I'm not going to restrict calories as rigorously either.
    For now im focusing on huge amounts of protein and accepting the calories that come with.

I dunno, I'm in flux right now but I'm not worried.
    I'm pretty much addicted to working out, so whatever happens, I'll be better than I was before I started on this path.

I have not been working as hard as you at any point, but wanted to mention it took damn near 10 weeks before I seen any weight loss. I was cranky all the time. But my goal is 1 lb a week. So far so good. And I'm not even really that disciplined. I am, however, changing my lifestyle. 
    Sorry something happened to my keyboard. 

Wanted to add I'm not on a diet. What I'm currently doing I could sustain long term. I do need to get back at my workouts. I'm in another slump. Lazy. Busy. Tired.
    Just keep at it, when I feel like shit I tell myself, "this is when it counts".
    When the going gets tough the tough get going, as our grandfathers surely told us.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    You're crushing it gambs! 2.5 hour workouts are killer. Great job!

Foxy, you may be in a slump with your workouts, but changing the diet/nutrition to something sustainable is probably even more important than working out. If you can keep this lifestyle change going, I think you'll see some great improvements in your workouts when you get back to them.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I'm taking about 2 weeks off from lifting. Partly because I have to and partly because I need to. My gym is closed this week for renovations and next week my wife and I are taking an anniversary trip. Plus, I've been lifting consistently with intensity for a while and my body just needs a break. Got some nagging injuries to get over and this time off will be great for that.