Dating as A PJ Fan

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    As long as she's no shorter than 6 feet.
    Wow. I understand liking tall women if you're very tall, but geez, that really limits your options. There aren't very many women who are taller than 6'.... unless you mean when they wear heels (hubba hubba btw - sounds like you're really really tall; that is very attractive to me - I like extremely tall men ... but I'm "only" 5'10" :lol:;) ).
    I am 6' 2". Do you love No Code?
    Lol, of course I do!
    Let's get together. 
    Move to Canada and I'll think about it. ;)
    Too cold for my liking. I don't handle cold weather too well.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of love, my parents' friends turned up uninvited and the lady is like "have you got a girlfriend yet?" "not good, you're nearly 40" 
    Gosh I hate immigrant south eastern Europeans. 
    Now my mum is at me (indirectly via conversations with my dad) as her friend's son has a girlfriend and I don't and how it makes my parents look bad and how people will talk how shit my family situation is.
    P.S. I'll say it again, I hate immigrant south eastern Europeans.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    ^^just tell them you've been mastering the art of swiping left and right. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Lucky for me my girlfriend  hates Crocs, isn't  tall, and loves Pearl Jam.
    Lucky for me we met at a PJ shos.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of love, my parents' friends turned up uninvited and the lady is like "have you got a girlfriend yet?" "not good, you're nearly 40" 
    Now my mum is at me (indirectly via conversations with my dad) as her friend's son has a girlfriend and I don't and how it makes my parents look bad and how people will talk how shit my family situation is.
    I'm a little surprised at your double use of hating a certain group, when you have asked for a break from others' judgment many a time, for your own reasons.

I've been given the same spiel from my family's older relatives and may have bristled internally in the moment, but chalked it up to cultural differences more than ill-will on their part.  People may immigrate but (and especially in older age) still hold on to their traditions and mindsets.

Jenny, is "swiiping left and right" a euphemism?

(I know it's not, but couldn't resist =) )
  • Lucky for me my girlfriend  hates Crocs, isn't  tall, and loves Pearl Jam.
    Lucky for me we met at a PJ shos.
    Same =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I don't think I've ever dated someone who was into PJ before I met them. Maybe I need to narrow my preferences in the future. 

On a side note, I see the way people are dating now with swipe left/right and online sites. It makes me feel like Mel Gibson in forever Young when he wakes up from being frozen and the whole world is different. In just 7 years since I've been actively dating, it feels like an entirely different world. Not that I'm in a hurry to jump back out there, but damn it feels a little intimidating. I don't even have Facebook...
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    WYtM, just take your time - and it sounds like you are.

I've found the best experiences - and coming upon those best people - happen organically.
  • Organic is best and no Facebook is best. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    We need that dating thread bumped......ah, who am I kidding, its complete waste land.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • There used to be one im sure
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited November 2017
    hedonist said:
    I'm a little surprised at your double use of hating a certain group, when you have asked for a break from others' judgment many a time, for your own reasons.

I've been given the same spiel from my family's older relatives and may have bristled internally in the moment, but chalked it up to cultural differences more than ill-will on their part.  People may immigrate but (and especially in older age) still hold on to their traditions and mindsets.

Jenny, is "swiiping left and right" a euphemism?

(I know it's not, but couldn't resist =) )
    They refuse to accept that things are different in their new country.
    They cause more mental anguish than anything.
    Every family does it in my cultural group.
    They don't ask "how are you going?" but "have you got a girlfriend?"
    Sorry for feeling animosity towards them.
    They obviously know I am single but need to ask after having boasted about how their son has a girlfriend and a new car.
    It's a way of rubbing it in to make my parents envious.
    If it wasn't for my parents I'd tell them to go fuck off.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
  • Tell em anyway. Be kind to yourself
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Glad I’m not in dating scene but if I was it wouldn’t matter at all wether they liked PJ or not , I’ve been married for so long when we started dating PJ was not even on the radar..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Speaking of love, my parents' friends turned up uninvited and the lady is like "have you got a girlfriend yet?" "not good, you're nearly 40" 
    When I was 20 I said "no marriage, no kids".

I'm 42 now and I've stuck to my guns, lol.  Not to say that I might change my mind but I'm in no rush.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I'm 42 now and I've stuck to my guns, lol.  Not to say that I might change my mind but I'm in no rush.
    Shit, you probably pull more action from the divorcé crowd now than you did when you were in your 20s!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:

Shit, you probably pull more action from the divorcé crowd now than you did when you were in your 20s!
    I have all my hair, a good job, i'm not a fat slob so I'm ahead of the curve, lol.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    rgambs said:

I have all my hair, a good job, i'm not a fat slob so I'm ahead of the curve, lol.

But you have a sock fetish. Strike one.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • I've been told by friends that my passion for music (Pearl Jam specifically) and sports (Pittsburgh teams specifically) can be intimidating.  You walk anywhere in my apartment and you'll be reminded of both, and I travel to a lot of shows and games.  Even though I don't believe a partner would need to live up to, or match my passions for those things, it's more of a "just respect the fact that I'm passionate about them and don't prevent me from enjoying them" thing.  Not sure how much of a concern that really is, but thought I'd throw it into the conversation.  
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Golf would be the deal breaker for me.   I would need to be able to play golf when I want to play golf.  I have always been independent so hoping to find a girl who is as well.  I know so many people whose spouses can be very clingy.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    A hole in one does not always lead to one in the hole.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I dated a girl last year for a few months who was into PJ.  That’s how I approached her, actually. She was wearing an Eddie Vedder t-shirt. She totally screwed me over and I went thru about a 2 month period where I didn’t even want to listen to the band. Made me sick to my stomach. Thus, I’ll never date a PJ fan ever again.

That said, I’m not too worried about what music they like or any of that (although country might be a deal breaker). I just seem to have a problem finding a woman who isn’t a cheating fucking whore. This modern “hook-up culture” has pretty much ruined dating for me. No one gives a flying fuck about exclusivity and faithfulness anymore. It’s all about sneaking around and “side pieces.”
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2017
    I dated a girl last year for a few months who was into PJ.  That’s how I approached her, actually. She was wearing an Eddie Vedder t-shirt. She totally screwed me over and I went thru about a 2 month period where I didn’t even want to listen to the band. Made me sick to my stomach. Thus, I’ll never date a PJ fan ever again.

That said, I’m not too worried about what music they like or any of that (although country might be a deal breaker). I just seem to have a problem finding a woman who isn’t a cheating fucking whore. This modern “hook-up culture” has pretty much ruined dating for me. No one gives a flying fuck about exclusivity and faithfulness anymore. It’s all about sneaking around and “side pieces.”
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with being someone's side piece.

Someone's got to scratch that itch; just don't get your ass shot off.

And it ain't nothing new. There's a rich history.

https://youtu.be/aVIA1n5ng4Y
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited November 2017
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    As long as she's no shorter than 6 feet.
    Wow. I understand liking tall women if you're very tall, but geez, that really limits your options. There aren't very many women who are taller than 6'.... unless you mean when they wear heels (hubba hubba btw - sounds like you're really really tall; that is very attractive to me - I like extremely tall men ... but I'm "only" 5'10" :lol:;) ).
    I am 6' 2". Do you love No Code?
    Lol, of course I do!
    Let's get together. 
    Move to Canada and I'll think about it. ;)
    Too cold for my liking. I don't handle cold weather too well.
    And I can't stand hot weather... I don't think it was meant to be! :heartbreak::tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    We need that dating thread bumped......ah, who am I kidding, its complete waste land.
    Haha, no wonder. It turned into people "advertising" themselves with "Male/female, aged xx, live in xxxxxxx." Sounds like a real catch! :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2017

Ditto. TBH I don't even really think about dating. I'm open to falling in love again if it randomly hits me over the head, but until then it kind of just seems like way more trouble than it's worth. I am absolutely not looking. Lucky for me, my parents think I've got the right idea, lol.
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728

See this was my mantra as well only from the time I was about 10. Life was sweet.
    Then I joined the fan club, got involved in SS, started talking with my giftee more and more, met at a show and now I live in North Carolina.  :o
    Basically if it happens with fellow fan great, but not the main focus.
    PS. Stay off the internet kids. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Speaking of love, my parents' friends turned up uninvited and the lady is like "have you got a girlfriend yet?" "not good, you're nearly 40" 

See this was my mantra as well only from the time I was about 10. Life was sweet.
    Then I joined the fan club, got involved in SS, started talking with my giftee more and more, met at a show and now I live in North Carolina.  :o
    Basically if it happens with fellow fan great, but not the main focus.
    PS. Stay off the internet kids. 
    Good for you.

I traveled for work for years so it wasn't fair to anyone if I was to marry or have kids so I tried dating long distance which only works so long...

I'm in one place now so we shall see.