• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited November 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    I love watching the fanboys gets riled up when someone dare have any critique of Ed or the band... i'm cool with it as long as it pays for more Skate parks, which I think is the coolest thing they do... or any other cause they support... or help pay and maintain full time staff... I'm all good... just don't lecture from the stage about corporate greed/sponsorship, that ship defintely sails once you're on the Citi payroll homeslice , so feel free to play another B-Side, I won't complain. 

I guess it's better than telling corporate lobbyists in 2010 Bristow to go kill themselves... thought that was a little over the top 

Not to mention their ticket prices are still great, so if doing this helps maintain that, seems like a good thing for all of us
    Agreed.
    That ship actually sailed when they played the Oracle conference, lol. I think they felt like maybe playing Green Disease at it and gave the massive payout to charity (supposedly) offset the fact that they were playing a private Oracle party, but no. Didn't work. :lol:;)
    The ship sailed when Verizon sponsored the 2008 tour
    I don't recall verizon sponsoring the 2008 tour. refresh my memory.  
    http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=40973

I don't know if I d call that a sponsorship for the tour but rather boots were first released to Verizon members. 
    I agree more of a partnership imo though I am sure Verizon dished out some good money for the exclusive opportunity. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    I was upset for two seconds and then I realized it was a solo gig.
  • Would love to see a set list!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • More concerned about the setlist  then well....... "Any of the surrounding Bullshit" 
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    anyone in NY last night for the Jackson gala and Heal EB?
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    my2hands said:
    I love watching the fanboys gets riled up when someone dare have any critique of Ed or the band... i'm cool with it as long as it pays for more Skate parks, which I think is the coolest thing they do... or any other cause they support... or help pay and maintain full time staff... I'm all good... just don't lecture from the stage about corporate greed/sponsorship, that ship defintely sails once you're on the Citi payroll homeslice , so feel free to play another B-Side, I won't complain. 

I guess it's better than telling corporate lobbyists in 2010 Bristow to go kill themselves... thought that was a little over the top 

Not to mention their ticket prices are still great, so if doing this helps maintain that, seems like a good thing for all of us
    Critiques are always good.  Inaccuracies or presenting information one doesn't actually know details on, have access to or understand, generally bad.  That is not really anything to do with getting riled up.  Factual information is always good.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• jeffbr said:

with his Hollywood friends. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Eddie Vedder: Brought to you by JP Morgan 

Has a nice ring to it :)
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.
    That ship actually sailed when they played the Oracle conference, lol. I think they felt like maybe playing Green Disease at it and gave the massive payout to charity (supposedly) offset the fact that they were playing a private Oracle party, but no. Didn't work. :lol:;)

I don't know if I d call that a sponsorship for the tour but rather boots were first released to Verizon members. 
    And the Verizon text boards above the stage... and the Verizon trucks outside of every venue... the boot deal you mention.... seems like a sponsorship to me

Ed probably just found a happy home with Neoliberalism after losing with Ralph Nader in 2000.... 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.

And the Verizon text boards above the stage... and the Verizon trucks outside of every venue... the boot deal you mention.... seems like a sponsorship to me

Ed probably just found a happy home with Neoliberalism after losing with Ralph Nader in 2000.... 
    verizon text boards above the stage?! i don't remember any of that!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    The video boards were used as Verizon text boards before the shows and maybe during the encores... you txt a message to a certain nuber and it posted up on the screens
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    jeffbr said:

with his Hollywood friends. 

Those are Brooklyn friends. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    who cares. just get back on tour . all this is noise. look uncle neil charges a fortune for tickets. if he can supplement his income and keep our prices down great. as i say JUST GET BACK ON TOUR.
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.

I don't know if I d call that a sponsorship for the tour but rather boots were first released to Verizon members. Wtf?
  • MF658872MF658872 Posts: 247
    Does anyone have the full setlist?
    Philly 1 2016                     
    EV New York 2016            
    TOTD Philly 2 2016 
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2017 
    Boston 1 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    EV New York 1 & 2 2022
    Berlin 2022
    Frankfurt 2022
    New York 2022
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    "This photo or video has been removed from Instagam."

*LOL!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    My, my, my, how times have changed.
    There was a time when Pearl Jam and Eddie were against all things corporate. Corporate logos, and flying Billboards Adds over their shows, advertising during shows like blimps and things Clear Channel ads.   Now they endorsed credit cards companies, home entertainment systems, what's next? Maybe we'll see Eddie featured in a Cadillac commercial soon.
    Who cares? Good for him. This is a business. If you don’t like it, don’t buy into it. Did he get paid? Fuck yes he did, you know why? Because this is his JOB. 
    One of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti corporate giant posturing.  On many many occasions Ed would stand up vilify giant greedy corporations.  He didn't like the word Ford being on banners associated with the venue that they were playing at for goodness sakes.  On one of my bootlegs they were getting ready to play I got Shit.  Okay then he said "I'm in in too good of a mood to play such a depressing song.  I'm so happy.". 2 seconds later he spots a advertisement for Clear Channel and said now I'm depressed that's perfect." Then played the song I got Shit/ID.  So don't go back and pretend like that didn't happen.  I love Pearl Jam but if he needs to be called out on  some hypocrisy so be it.  Don't put a band or anyone so high that they can't be criticized
    ugh. not this shit again. he was in his 20's and angry with the world. people grow up and gain perspective. over two decades ago. TWO DECADES. they/he haven't been outward critics of big corporations for a VERY LONG TIME. they've moved on to more important things. they realize that just bitching about big box stores is not as effective as actually doing something good, which is what they do now, to my knowledge. 

and this is funny: "one of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti-corporate giant posturing". Really? I always thought it was the music people liked. 

and as someone else stated, no one knows the context of this. this could have been for charity, it could have been a favour for a good friend, it could have been a big fat paycheck that he wanted. no one knows. so just blankly criticizing something when you have no idea what you are talking about for no other reason than a corporate logo attached to it is just downright silly. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    There was a time when Pearl Jam and Eddie were against all things corporate. Corporate logos, and flying Billboards Adds over their shows, advertising during shows like blimps and things Clear Channel ads.   Now they endorsed credit cards companies, home entertainment systems, what's next? Maybe we'll see Eddie featured in a Cadillac commercial soon.
    Who cares? Good for him. This is a business. If you don’t like it, don’t buy into it. Did he get paid? Fuck yes he did, you know why? Because this is his JOB. 
    One of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti corporate giant posturing.  On many many occasions Ed would stand up vilify giant greedy corporations.  He didn't like the word Ford being on banners associated with the venue that they were playing at for goodness sakes.  On one of my bootlegs they were getting ready to play I got Shit.  Okay then he said "I'm in in too good of a mood to play such a depressing song.  I'm so happy.". 2 seconds later he spots a advertisement for Clear Channel and said now I'm depressed that's perfect." Then played the song I got Shit/ID.  So don't go back and pretend like that didn't happen.  I love Pearl Jam but if he needs to be called out on  some hypocrisy so be it.  Don't put a band or anyone so high that they can't be criticized
    ugh. not this shit again. he was in his 20's and angry with the world. people grow up and gain perspective. over two decades ago. TWO DECADES. they/he haven't been outward critics of big corporations for a VERY LONG TIME. they've moved on to more important things. they realize that just bitching about big box stores is not as effective as actually doing something good, which is what they do now, to my knowledge. 

and this is funny: "one of the biggest draws for Pearl Jam fans early on was the anti-corporate giant posturing". Really? I always thought it was the music people liked. 

and as someone else stated, no one knows the context of this. this could have been for charity, it could have been a favour for a good friend, it could have been a big fat paycheck that he wanted. no one knows. so just blankly criticizing something when you have no idea what you are talking about for no other reason than a corporate logo attached to it is just downright silly. 

People didn't worship Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain because they could sing and write great songs.  Lots of artists can do that and never make it big.  They were on the cover of Time because of the message in their music and their rebellion against society. 

Not disagreeing on your overall point but I do think that their social stance turned a lot of their music fans into die hard fans. 

RYME said:
    RYME said:

People didn't worship Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain because they could sing and write great songs.  Lots of artists can do that and never make it big.  They were on the cover of Time because of the message in their music and their rebellion against society. 

Not disagreeing on your overall point but I do think that their social stance turned a lot of their music fans into die hard fans. 

sure they did. as a canadian, maybe the context is different, but that message didn't resonate with me at all in the beginning. I think it had more to do with them being relatable as having experienced a disaffected youth rather than anti-corporate. all the political stuff came after they got massive. however, I will admit i was politically/socially pretty unaware when Vs came out. I loved WMA as a song, but it didn't resonate with me at all until years later the actual topic of the song. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017

RYME said:
    RYME said:

Okay.... but don't you think it's more accurate for a lot of people that he LOST perspective rather than gained it? To say he gained perspective suggests that his current outlook is somehow more enlightened... IMO, in this day and age, to not be anti-corporation is a much less enlightened viewpoint, not a wiser view. If Eddie doesn't care anymore, okay, but I am not willing in any way to suggest that that means he has found some kind of positive outlook on things. On the contrary... to me it says that he has just given in to the bullshit. That is his prerogative. I'm just surprised anyone expects others to embrace that after Eddie railed against it for years and made it a major driving force behind the music he wrote. To me it seems totally justified and reasonable that a lot of fans would be disappointed by Eddie's acceptance of corporate America, while corporate America steadily destroys so many things and keeps growing economic disparity. I think it's fair that some are sad that Eddie no longer cares about that.... I think it's very easy not to care about that stuff when you're filthy rich.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

RYME said:
    RYME said:

Okay.... but don't you think it's more accurate for a lot of people that he LOST perspective rather than gained it? To say he gained perspective suggests that his current outlook is somehow more enlightened... IMO, in this day and age, to not be anti-corporation is a much less enlightened viewpoint, not a wiser view. If Eddie doesn't care anymore, okay, but I am not willing in any way to suggest that that means he has found some kind of positive outlook on things. On the contrary... to me it says that he has just given in to the bullshit. That is his prerogative. I'm just surprised anyone expects others to embrace that after Eddie railed against it for years and made it a major driving force behind the music he wrote.
    no, age and experience changes people. having a family can change your perspective, and not necessarily change your stance on issues, but changes how you address them. and as I said, just ranting and raving from a stage maybe he felt that wasn't the best way to go about things. he seems more inclined to be positive in his stage messages rather than divisive. I don't know the man. I don't claim to know his prerogative on anything. But I cant assume he's "given in to the bullshit". Why would that be the go-to? that would be a pretty big 180 to make. I would suggest maybe he's just more "bigger picture" than he was before. or even smaller picture, as in, stuff closer to home. 

changing your perspective doesn't necessarily mean losing it or gaining it. it can mean both or neither. he seems to choose different fights than he did before. I honestly don't care either way. if he's found peace and doesn't want to fight what he fought before, do what you want (as you also stated). it just seems to me that people feel some sort of betrayal in the message, like they lost their spiritual leader or something. Like when Forrest Gump stopped running and went home.  I don't get the feeling Ed ever wanted to be any type of leader, he just wanted to bring issues to the masses so they could do what they wanted with that information since he was the guy with the microphone. 

I just don't get the outrage. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2017
    I'm not arguing that age and experience doesn't change people, but it's not like it always causes people to abandon their principles about things like the harm done by Corporate America. I don't think it's really reasonable to say that Eddie's stance hasn't changed when he's playing private corporate gigs. I mean, him doing that definitely tells us that this isn't just about how he's addressing that issue. It tells us that he doesn't care about it anymore, or at least not enough to not play along with them and to take money for performing his art for them. I do think him doing that shows us that he doesn't care (aka given in to it). You can't say he hasn't, just like you couldn't say that David Suzuki doing a paid book signing at a Kinder Morgan event wasn't a sign that Suzuki had given in to a pipeline company.
    I am aware that changing your perspective doesn't necessarily mean losing it or gaining it... But it often does, and I think that is the case for Eddie. And FWIW, Eddie did a lot more than rant and rave on stage. That was never his only method of addressing issues. And I don't think he ever "ranted and raved". That poorly characterizes what his intent was IMO.
    I always had the impression that Eddie simply wanted to spread the good word, and to change people's perspectives that he thought needed changing. He definitely stood up and declared himself an agent of change, and he still does in other ways. I totally disagree that his behaviour suggested that he didn't mind what the masses did with that information either way. I think he always made it very clear what he hoped people would do with the information.
    ... As for outrage. I don't think any outrage is being expressed by anyone, and I think you are exaggerating the meaning behind people talking about this. Just because people don't like it it doesn't mean they are acting like they lost their spiritual leader. That's very dramatic, lol. I think people are expressing disappointment and perhaps disillusionment about someone they used to see as sharing their own perspectives. And I think they are justified in that. It's not like being older and having kids makes doing private corporate gigs and abandoning ethical stances through action a given. I personally think that is a really lame excuse actually.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2017
    I think fans have the right to be disappointed in Pearl Jam/Vedder turning into a corporate gig-playing band.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I think your post above makes so many assumptions I'm not even sure where to begin, so I'll just say this:

without asking Ed himself, or knowing him personally, or knowing the circumstances surrounding this gig, everyone is assuming he has "abandoned his principles" with very little to no information. that's my point. I am not saying he did, or saying he didn't either way. I'm saying no one here knows and everyone jumps on the "Ed is a hypocrite" bandwagon. and it happens constantly. I think the disappointment is disproportionate to the knowledge of what this is. 

Ed has always said "I don't care how you vote, just vote". sometimes he speaks to specific causes (animals rights, female reproductive rights, etc), but most of the time I think he is just passionate about not being ignorant. 

I don't think anyone can be justified in any type of disappointment or disillusionment without knowing the facts. and we likely will never get any. 

I think these guys have shown how passionate they are about causes, in the foundations they have started and participate in, how much money they give to those and other causes, so I have no reason to believe that he all of a sudden doesn't give a shit. 

But again, if he doesn't, so be it. Live your life. Even if his perspective has changed, doesn't make him a hypocrite. he'd be a hypcocrite if he still went ranting and raving about big corporations and then played a paid corporate gig for nothing else but a payday. but he hasn't done that in YEARS, and people still hold onto this idea of swinging-from-the-rafters-frothing-at-the-mouth Eddie. that Ed no longer exists, and hasn't for a long time. it's their own nostalgia that feeds this false ideal. 

Does anyone here really believe that ed, in his financial state, would take a gig against his personal philosophies? that simply makes zero sense. Zero. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    None of us know exactly how Ed or the band feels, thinks or are as people. We've used their music to gain some insight. Just because Ed and the band don't rail against Trump and make a song about him doesn't mean they are any less outraged than when Bush was in office.

What I glean from all of this is that Ed and the band have decided when, how and what they can do to impact the change they have always wanted in a less ostracizing way. Whether it be with the environment, politics, corporatization(?), social justice, etc. They also have some pretty powerful friends in some of these organizations after all these years and they can help affect change instead of pissing all over the entire group and having no impact. Not every person working for a corporation is bad and there are several people trying to make change to improve the situation.

I was an angst ridden teen working in a grocery store when I got in to Pearl Jam and loved their music and the message it sent because it was who I felt like at the time. I still love the music, but I don't need Ed to jump off of scaffolding or Stone to testify against a corporation to know they still have passion and energy about the world they live in. I work in an office now and do the best I can to make positive impacts and influence change from within based on the position I hold. I'm not going to boycott a meeting with some jackass I don't like because that sure as shit isn't going to make them think twice about their actions or get any support from my colleagues. You stay in the room.

Anyway, if Ed or any of the band want to use their art to deliver a great experience to fans, cheers to that! Just keep playing music.

It's a hopeless situation...
    So based on this thread, PJ should title their next album; The Who Sold Out So We Did Too! smh
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, but not railing against Trump isn't the same as playing a Trump rally, right? I'm pretty sure most of us actually would be outraged if they did that, lol.

I agree none of us can know exactly how they feel. We are certainly free to surmise, guess, debate, ponder, hypothesize, and talk about how their actions make us feel. Also, for famous public figure/performers, optics and actions do mean something. Let's not pretend that Eddie is a regular private citizen. Of course his actions mean something to his fans. That is what he entered into when he decided to put himself out there, and especially when he decided to be so outspoken about politics and the role of corporations in society, and doubly-especially when he addressed such issues in his art, which, of course, he still performs, meaning he still broadcasts such views... When his actions contradict the messages he is still putting out there, yeah, obviously some people are going to react to that contradiction.
    I think your post above makes so many assumptions I'm not even sure where to begin, so I'll just say this:

without asking Ed himself, or knowing him personally, or knowing the circumstances surrounding this gig, everyone is assuming he has "abandoned his principles" with very little to no information. that's my point. I am not saying he did, or saying he didn't either way. I'm saying no one here knows and everyone jumps on the "Ed is a hypocrite" bandwagon. and it happens constantly. I think the disappointment is disproportionate to the knowledge of what this is. 

Ed has always said "I don't care how you vote, just vote". sometimes he speaks to specific causes (animals rights, female reproductive rights, etc), but most of the time I think he is just passionate about not being ignorant. 

I don't think anyone can be justified in any type of disappointment or disillusionment without knowing the facts. and we likely will never get any. 

I think these guys have shown how passionate they are about causes, in the foundations they have started and participate in, how much money they give to those and other causes, so I have no reason to believe that he all of a sudden doesn't give a shit. 

But again, if he doesn't, so be it. Live your life. Even if his perspective has changed, doesn't make him a hypocrite. he'd be a hypcocrite if he still went ranting and raving about big corporations and then played a paid corporate gig for nothing else but a payday. but he hasn't done that in YEARS, and people still hold onto this idea of swinging-from-the-rafters-frothing-at-the-mouth Eddie. that Ed no longer exists, and hasn't for a long time. it's their own nostalgia that feeds this false ideal. 

Does anyone here really believe that ed, in his financial state, would take a gig against his personal philosophies? that simply makes zero sense. Zero. 

Agreed. I posted about the same thing before I saw this. 
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, but not railing against Trump isn't the same as playing a Trump rally, right? I'm pretty sure most of us actually would be outraged if they did that, lol.

I agree none of us can know exactly how they feel. We are certainly free to surmise, guess, debate, ponder, hypothesize, and talk about how their actions make us feel. Also, for famous public figure/performers, optics and actions do mean something. Let's not pretend that Eddie is a regular private citizen. Of course his actions mean something to his fans. That is what he entered into when he decided to put himself out there, and especially when he decided to be so outspoken about politics and the role of corporations in society, and doubly-especially when he addressed such issues in his art, which, of course, he still performs, meaning he still broadcasts such views... When his actions contradict the messages he is still putting out there, yeah, obviously some people are going to react to that contradiction.
    well, again, you are ASSUMING his actions contradict his message. you don't know that. nobody here does. that's part of the point. 

edit to add: and the thing here is, Ed doesn't go on and on about how all corporations are bad. that was part of what got lost in the "controversy" about them sliding into bed with Target to get Backspacer distributed. Stone came right out and said they did a lot of exhaustive research about who to choose for this, but people see 'pearl jam' and 'big corporation' and automatically jump to these conclusions that they sold out, when in fact they chose the best company they thought possible to get their product to the masses. people not involved have zero clue. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD