If i could dedicate a song for your soul
    I'd pick John Denver "Annie's Song"

And if i could resonate on your silhouette
    I'd start in Black. 

Drugs don't work
    But i know
    I'll see your face again

• ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    OSU got exposed when they got dominated by a team we then dominated the next week. Kinnick doesn't bring a 50+ point shift for Iowa, OSU is just bad. I for one am looking forward to playing that defense that let IOWA score 55 points on them. I for one am looking forward to smothering that offense that has NOT seen a defense like ours all year. It is gonna be a fun game 

Me and 5 friends are going to the B1G Championship game, so I'll get to see in person Wisconsin finally proving the naysayers wrong.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I am sure it will feel great to see this, should it happen.  If it does, I would think based on what else happened the past few weeks...that you are in.
    Cool to go to big games w/friends, enjoy it!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I am sure it will feel great to see this, should it happen.  If it does, I would think based on what else happened the past few weeks...that you are in.
    Cool to go to big games w/friends, enjoy it!
    So excited! Even if we lose, gonna be a great road trip
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Oh boy.
    Why not a 16 team playoff?
    I was thinking at least 8. That's only 1 more game, and when there is so much opinion/controversy in the rankings, why not?
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    mace1229 said:
    Oh boy.
    I was thinking at least 8. That's only 1 more game, and when there is so much opinion/controversy in the rankings, why not?
    I know many people want to expand it to 8 teams but personally I think 4 is better.

I think an 8 team playoff will ruin the regular season. Many of the traditional powers wouldn't schedule difficult non-conference games. I like Notre Dame but a 2 loss ND would make the playoff every year. The Power 5 conference teams would have to worry about 2 or 3 games a season.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    mace1229 said:
    Oh boy.
    32?
    64?

I just think that every time we expand it, we allow the fringe teams to scramble.  Look at this season -- teams with 2 losses are lining up for access.  We will have to see what happens but I think there is something to diluting the regular season and the magic of having a great year and not just being a great team at the end.

I think this may have yielded a few more USC titles during the Pete Carroll era (4 or 8 team playoffs) but I still am against it at this point.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    eddiec said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh boy.
    I know many people want to expand it to 8 teams but personally I think 4 is better.

I think an 8 team playoff will ruin the regular season. Many of the traditional powers wouldn't schedule difficult non-conference games. I like Notre Dame but a 2 loss ND would make the playoff every year. The Power 5 conference teams would have to worry about 2 or 3 games a season.

Wouldn't teams be more likely to schedule tough non-conf games if there were more teams included in the playoff?  Feels like teams are afraid to schedule the tough games now because if you drop a non-conf game, you pretty much have to run the table in order to get into the 4 team playoff.  I don't know what the right answer is, but this current system is so dumb.  The fact that every other sport in every level of college also has a legit playoff system makes it even worse.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The current system is worse than the Bowl Coalition, the Bowl Alliance, and the BCS.
    eddiec said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh boy.

What sucks about it though is there are teams with the same record (9-1) that are likely not going to make it, only because their schedule wasn't as difficult, or when they won't it wasn't as big of a land slide, or whatever goes into their ranking calculations.
    With 8 teams at least almost every year all the teams with the best record would likely get in.
    I guess a lot depends on if you think the team playing best at the end of the season should have a shot or if it is the team that has played the best all year long.  (Yes, as I type that I realize there are holes in that thought...but on the overall/bigger picture try to think of it that way)

I do not love the idea of 2 loss teams playing for championships -- just not the way I came to know college football.  It has happened but not often. 

Having to be pretty much perfect to have a shot was fun.  Now...I just feel like you lose that feeling.  How in the frig is Ohio State still in so-called contention?  They got smoked x2.  They should be out, no matter what. 

I do not argue that teams in the Top 10 may be able to beat teams Head to Head in a playoff matchup that are ranked way ahead of them at year's end.  Have believed that to be the case many times over the years. 

Tough to figure out, for me.  Every angle I find presents a legitimate problem.
    mace1229 said:
    eddiec said:
    mace1229 said:
    Oh boy.

What sucks about it though is there are teams with the same record (9-1) that are likely not going to make it, only because their schedule wasn't as difficult, or when they won't it wasn't as big of a land slide, or whatever goes into their ranking calculations.
    With 8 teams at least almost every year all the teams with the best record would likely get in.
    I think that is where the committee is meant to take everything they have for data into consideration, right?

Who would those teams be if we were to use this year?

(Disclaimer -- I dont think everyone should be included.  All things are very rarely equal, imo.  It is meant to be an incredible thing, to win a College Football Championship.)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

my prediction for tonight.....

1. The Tide

2. Clemson

3. Oklahoma

4. Miami

5. Wisconsin

6. All-barn

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    ^^^close 

1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Miami
    4. Oklahoma 
    5. Wisconsin 
    6. Auburn
    7. Georgia
    8. Notre Dame

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    IMO...Clemson should be no higher than five.  You cannot discount that loss to Syracuse just like you can't discount my Buckeyes horrible loss to freakin Iowa.  I would have it
    1. Bama
    2. Miami
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Wisconsin(even though I think they lose to TTUN this week)

It's going to be a lot of fun seeing how things pan out these next three weeks.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    IMO...Clemson should be no higher than five.  You cannot discount that loss to Syracuse just like you can't discount my Buckeyes horrible loss to freakin Iowa.  I would have it
    1. Bama
    2. Miami
    3. Oklahoma
    4. Wisconsin(even though I think they lose to TTUN this week)

It's going to be a lot of fun seeing how things pan out these next three weeks.
    I think I just saw Clemson got pushed up to #2.
    I wouldn't agree with that, but your rankings you discount OKs loss. No matter what 1 or 2 of the top 4 teams are going to have a big loss. I think Clemson's loss was "discounted" more since the starting QB was clearly injured to start and taken out before half.
    I'm a Clemson fan so I'm a little bias. 
    But I think they'll make it to the championship and (unfortunately) get blown out by Alabama. They don't have the offensive strength they did the last 2 years.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm ok with Clemson being #2.  For years we all heard how a 1-loss SEC team was superior to an undefeated team from any other conference.  With ACC teams not only playing for, but winning, multiple championships in the past few seasons, it's about damn time they started getting the same notoriety and respect.
    I think it doesnt matter much since there are still games to be played.  Will see when the dust settles.
    ^^^so there's still hope for a ND vs. USC playoff match-up? Hahaha....how great would that be though?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yeah, no way USC deserves to get it.  There are scenarios but I just dont see any of them happening.  Only way is if Stanford destroys ND and we pound them again for a 2nd time in the title game...or I guess if WSU makes it and we blow them out.  (Which we would)

We got our shit pushed in.  I think getting slaughtered should take you out of title discussion unless the only loss you had was to that team and they went undefeated and were #1.

It would be great & someday it could happen.  Not this year!
    WWWWWWWWWWWISCONSIN
    Are we talking about the WWWWWWWWWWWISCONSIN...the only team in the top 25 to not face a team that will be in the top 25 after Tuesday?
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Are we talking about the WWWWWWWWWWWISCONSIN...the only team in the top 25 to not face a team that will be in the top 25 after Tuesday?
    Ohio State will smoke them in Indy.  And OSU isn’t that good this year.

59-0, never forget.
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Ohio State will smoke them in Indy.  And OSU isn’t that good this year.

59-0, never forget.
    You really like to talk about that shut out. Like 10 months ago Ohio state didn't get shut out in the playoffs. 
    Any day we beat those dogs from fUCLA is a good day.
    Coaches are still total fools, though.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    even if OSU loses to michigan, I still see them beating wisconsin.

even if OSU wins both, they should not get in.....last year’s shellacking by clemson is evidence.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Any day we beat those dogs from fUCLA is a good day.
    Coaches are still total fools, though.
    Well, now you (fUSC) can hire Mora! 
    Ha!  That guy sucks even more than our coaches