Eddie Vedder - Keep Me In Your Heart. David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited November 2017 in The Porch

https://pearljam.com/news/eddie-vedder-to-celebrate-the-humor-of-david-letterman

NEWS JULY 20 2017

Eddie Vedder will join Jimmy Kimmel, Steve Martin, John Mulaney, Bill Murray, Paul Shaffer, Martin Short, Sarah Silverman, and Jimmie Walker to salute David Letterman at the 20th Annual Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor on Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 8 p.m.

In addition to honoring this country's greatest comedians, the Mark Twain Prize gala also also serves as a major fundraising event—all contributions help support the Center's year-round educational and artistic initiatives that reach millions of students, educators, and families throughout the nation.

TICKETS on sale to the public August 9th.

WATCH on PBS November 20th. Check your local listings.

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Known universe: hooray!!!
    PJ fans: guess there's no PJ27 this year :angry:
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Has Robin Williams never received this?  If so...damn.

May the group up there salute Dave's beard as well.

(though the beard made a later appearance in his life, so OK...cutting a break on that one)
  • TracerTracer Posts: 102
    Show just finished. Eddie, Paul, and a choir performed Warren Zevon’s “Keep Me In Your Heart”. 
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Oh sweet Jesus. That’s one of my favorite songs of all time. Good Lord, if Ed started playing that at shows, I’d be an emotional train wreck. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    Tracer said:
    Show just finished. Eddie, Paul, and a choir performed Warren Zevon’s “Keep Me In Your Heart”. 
    was wondering what he would perform. 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    can't wait for the broadcast
    I miss igotid88
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Dear 10c, ignore the 5,000 threads about the annual single- a great recording or studio cut of Ed singing this will suffice for the single. Take your time. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

edited October 2017

Mike Coppola/Getty Images

On Sunday night, an impressive cast of comedians and actors poked fun at and celebrated retired late-night TV legend David Letterman as he accepted the Kennedy Center's 20th Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Letterman's post-Late Show beard was a popular topic. "Dave has always had spot-on comedic instincts," Steve Martin said. "What better time than right now to insist on looking like a Confederate war general?" Amy Schumer joked later that Letterman "has successfully transitioned from a standup comic to a late-night host to a Civil War re-enactor," adding, "I'm glad you didn't look like that when you were the last thing we saw when we were going to bed at night."

Bill Murray, last year's Mark Twain Prize recipient, cracked Letterman up with a rundown of what his new honor means. "You're not exactly a god, but you're way up there," he said. "You will be able to walk up to any man or woman on the street, take a lit cigar out of their mouth, and finish it. You'll be able to board any riverboat in this country." And Letterman's psychiatrist, Clarice Kestenbaum, made a surprise appearance, paraphrasing a typical session: "'I'm dumb. People hate me. I have E.D.' Oh, Jesus, what a f---ing pity party. Don't get me wrong: He's crazy. Not Trump crazy. But who knows?"

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder played a Warren Zevon song on a guitar with Tom Petty's initials. There was a Top Ten List, Paul Shaffer led the band, and Late Show regulars made appearances. Letterman himself ended the show on a serious note, urging people to be nice to one another ("If you help someone, in any way, big or small, automatically you will feel good about yourself") and quoting Mark Twain's definition of patriotism: "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." PBS will broadcast the entire ceremony on Nov. 20. Peter Weber

edited October 2017
    http://www.pbs.org/mark-twain-prize/shows/2017-show-david-letterman/

2017 Recipient: David Letterman

Celebrating David Letterman

David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize premieres on Monday, November 20 at 9 p.m. ET on PBS stations nationwide (check local listings).

David Letterman The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize

The special will be recorded at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on October 22, and it features a star-studded cast of Letterman’s friends and colleagues including top entertainers and comedians. The evening pays tribute to the humor and accomplishments of the broadcasting icon.

“This is an exciting honor,” said David Letterman upon learning he is to receive the nation’s top prize for comedy and humor. “For 33 years, there was no better guest, no greater friend of the show, than Mark Twain. The guy could really tell a story.”

David Letterman has been hailed as one of the most innovative and influential broadcasters in the history of television. In 33 years on late-night television, Letterman hosted 6,028 episodes of Late Night (NBC) and The Late Show (CBS), surpassing his mentor, Johnny Carson, for the longest-running late-night broadcaster in American history. As a writer, producer and performer, Letterman is one of the most-nominated people in Emmy Award history, with 52 nominations, resulting in 10 wins. Letterman is also a Peabody-Award winner and a Kennedy Center Honoree.

Born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana, Letterman's first network break came as a writer, in 1978 on the CBS variety series Mary, starring Mary Tyler Moore. In November of that year, he made the first of his 22 appearances on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson. He also guest-hosted Tonight numerous times. In 1980, Letterman began hosting a morning comedy-variety program, The David Letterman Show, which ran for three months on NBC. His ground-breaking show Late Night with David Letterman premiered in February 1982. Throughout its 11 years, Late Night changed the complexion of late night television, earning five Emmys and 35 Emmy nominations. On Aug. 30, 1993, the Late Show with David Letterman made its debut on CBS, establishing itself as the first successful comedy/variety show in late night, outside of NBC. In its 22 years at CBS, Late Show became known as one of the most inventive and imaginative comedy programs in television, and launched the careers of countless comedians and musical acts.

From his roots in comedy, Letterman also became renowned as a masterful interviewer, sharing the stage with the U.S. Presidents, Cabinet officials, Medal of Honor recipients, and virtually every Presidential candidate for more than 20 years. Through his guest interviews, Letterman also brought to light important global issues such as world hunger and climate change. Letterman announced his departure from Late Show in 2014, and aired his final episode on May 20th, 2015 to an audience of 13.76 million people. David Letterman is 70, and resides in New York with his wife Regina, and twelve-year-old son Harry.

David Letterman is the 20th recipient of The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. Past recipients of the prize have been Richard Pryor (1998), Jonathan Winters (1999), Carl Reiner (2000), Whoopi Goldberg (2001), Bob Newhart (2002), Lily Tomlin (2003), Lorne Michaels (2004), Steve Martin (2005), Neil Simon (2006), Billy Crystal (2007), George Carlin (2008), Bill Cosby (2009), Tina Fey (2010), Will Ferrell (2011), Ellen DeGeneres (2012), Carol Burnett (2013), Jay Leno (2014), Eddie Murphy (2015) and Bill Murray (2016).

David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize is a production of WETA Washington, D.C.; CoMedia; Mark Krantz Productions; Cappy Productions and The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Executive producers are Dalton Delan, Deborah Rutter, Peter Kaminsky, Cappy McGarr, Mark Krantz and Bob Kaminsky.

Corporate funding for David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize is provided by Capital One. Major funding is provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, PBS and public television viewers. Air travel is generously provided by American Airlines.

• TracerTracer Posts: 102
    None of the writeups about the event have gone into much detail about Zevon’s relationship with Letterman and how poignant of a moment the whole segment made. Dave, when he took the stage, said a few words of loving appreciation of Eddie’s performance. 
  • Tracer said:
    None of the writeups about the event have gone into much detail about Zevon’s relationship with Letterman and how poignant of a moment the whole segment made. Dave, when he took the stage, said a few words of loving appreciation of Eddie’s performance. 
    I didn't know Zevon and Letterman were good friends?  Thanks for that info.
  • IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,621
    Just wish Ed came back out for an encore of werewolves of London AH_ HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

"David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize premieres on Monday, November 20 at 9 p.m. ET on PBS stations nationwide"

I like the sound of that cause I can view it up here in Canada. :) We get the Bangor, Maine PBS feed.

Mark Twain Prize Pre- and Post-Tape Videos, October 22, 2017

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Great news!  I love these!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    Great news!  I love these!
    I can't wait to see it next month on TV. :)
    Next Monday!!
    Tomorrow night! :)
    Check out this video from @PBS: Mark Twain Prize, David Letterman: The Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize Trailer http://www.pbs.org/video/david-letterman-kennedy-center-mark-twain-prize-trailer-ot9x
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    DVR all set :sunglasses:
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Will Ferrell's acceptance speech for his award was perfection.

edited November 2017
    Tonight's the night!
    Post edited by demetrios on

• When is Letterman's Netflix show coming?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Hmm .. thought it was 9pm EST, but it's 8pm EST. It's on now. 1hr 30 broadcast. 
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    That was beautiful!

Thanks for posting it Demetrios.