Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Hardly what I would call obscene.  Kind of funny really (other than maybe a waste of time/money):

If they really wanted to write something obscene they might have considered:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Not okay, but hilarious
    Not okay, but hilarious
    I'll admit, some of these pilots do really stupid things.  In (around) 1998, I was driving my Dodge van into Death Valley National Monument, heading there for long weekend camping trip.  I was driving alone on a lonesome highway when suddenly this blast of sound very nearly caused me to run off the road as a jet fighter buzzed me from behind, swooping very low over the top of my vehicle.  Because of their high rate of speed, you can't hear them coming until they are right on you and then it deafening.  I was super pissed and very rattled.  I later sent a letter to the AF base nearby and got a not-very helpful response some time later.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    As much as I think this was not okay, people really need to turn down the drama dial. You might have to explain the images to your young children? Why? Just tell them it’s randomly the way the plane flew and they should be none the wiser, if they’re as innocent as you make them out to be. It’s amazing to me how easy people’s lives must be that they have to look for reasons to victimize themselves. 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    brianlux said:
    Hardly what I would call obscene.  Kind of funny really (other than maybe a waste of time/money):

It kinda looks like a tall cartoon cowboy hat to me
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RiotZact said:
    As much as I think this was not okay, people really need to turn down the drama dial. You might have to explain the images to your young children? Why? Just tell them it’s randomly the way the plane flew and they should be none the wiser, if they’re as innocent as you make them out to be. It’s amazing to me how easy people’s lives must be that they have to look for reasons to victimize themselves. 
    Better yet, just tell them it's supposed to be a penis. Do we really think kids don't know what a penis is? Many things in this world would be better off if we talked more openly and non- dramatically about our bodies and about sex, starting with using the correct words for body parts. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:

i'm thinking arby's
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited November 2017
    :lol: This is pretty funny.
    I don't find it funny that anyone would suffer negative consequences for it though. That really shows skill IMO. Those pilots should be given kudos for being able to pull that off without any practice. Who gives a shit if it's a penis? Almost 50% of the population has one! I am so sick of the almost pervert-level puritanical attitude North America has when it comes to images of genitals.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:

i'm thinking arby's
    Yes!
  • brianlux said:
    Not okay, but hilarious
    I'll admit, some of these pilots do really stupid things.  In (around) 1998, I was driving my Dodge van into Death Valley National Monument, heading there for long weekend camping trip.  I was driving alone on a lonesome highway when suddenly this blast of sound very nearly caused me to run off the road as a jet fighter buzzed me from behind, swooping very low over the top of my vehicle.  Because of their high rate of speed, you can't hear them coming until they are right on you and then it deafening.  I was super pissed and very rattled.  I later sent a letter to the AF base nearby and got a not-very helpful response some time later.
    Brian, Edwards Air force base was known for doing this.  All alone on a road and a plane would buzz overhead!

A place where I worked at actually encouraged the planes to buzz Galileo Hill so the vacationers could see the planes up close.  I got to see the underbelly of a B-1 and the F-22 Raptor very closely.

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:

i'm thinking arby's

Holy shit. Haha
    brianlux said:

:lol:

brianlux said:
    Not okay, but hilarious
    Brian, Edwards Air force base was known for doing this.  All alone on a road and a plane would buzz overhead!

A place where I worked at actually encouraged the planes to buzz Galileo Hill so the vacationers could see the planes up close.  I got to see the underbelly of a B-1 and the F-22 Raptor very closely.

You worked out there!  Well I'll be!

I actually did have a positive got-buzzed-by-a-jet-aircraft out in a valley west of Death Valley not far from the 395.  We were camped out on some desert flats and this guy came flying right toward us.  I grabbed my headphones and we ran out and started waving at the guy.  Zoom!  Right over our heads.  And he came back!  Zoom!  Again.  That was cool!

But that low fly, not-much-change-I-can-see-you because I'm in a cargo van, surprise low buzz fly-by while I'm on the road... and, damn, that guy was bookin'!...  that was not too cool.  I damn near went off the road.  I'd have been toast.  Desert toast! 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The pilot should get a promotion; this is absolutely hilarious.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    The pilot should get a promotion; this is absolutely hilarious.  
    :lol: