New OLP (This is a band from Canada called Our Lady Peace)

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    They do a pretty sick version of Tomorrow Never Knows. Forgot about that
    still searching for this track. I lost it when my PC crashed. 
    I have it.  It's on The Craft soundtrack.  I'll post it up on Google tonight and send you the link.
    would you also have Needle and Whatever? I have the live version of Whatever, but I'd like to have the studio track again. 
    I have the studio Whatever, but not NDD.  Got home extremely late last night and won't be in 'til late tonight again.  I'll definitely have them for ya by tomorrow night.
    no huge rush, man, it's all good. Thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I finally had a chance to listen to the new EP last night. It's okay, but nothing really stuck out for me.
    I finally had a chance to listen to the new EP last night. It's okay, but nothing really stuck out for me.
    me neither. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have it.  It's on The Craft soundtrack.  I'll post it up on Google tonight and send you the link.
    would you also have Needle and Whatever? I have the live version of Whatever, but I'd like to have the studio track again. 
    I have the studio Whatever, but not NDD.  Got home extremely late last night and won't be in 'til late tonight again.  I'll definitely have them for ya by tomorrow night.
    :wink:
    @HesCalledDyer
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    :wink:
    @HesCalledDyer
    Man I have terrible short-term memory!  I have to get some download codes to some folks tonight for the RAK thread, so I'll be sure to upload these as well.  Thanks for the reminder!!
    LOL. no problem. I'm the same dude, so I get it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• @HughFreakingDillon

Do you still need studio of Whatever? I also found the Jim Johnston instrumental. It's fun to hear it before Our Lady Peace added their parts to it.
    @HughFreakingDillon

Do you still need studio of Whatever? I also found the Jim Johnston instrumental. It's fun to hear it before Our Lady Peace added their parts to it.
    no, got studio of Whatever. Thanks! I'll take that instrumental, though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Anyone hear the new songs yet?
  • Yeah, I have the four songs that they've released so far. They're okay, but I didn't really think anything special. 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I checked out Winnipeg tickets and holy crap! Over a hundred per ticket after fees. Are they that popular in Canada? They are more of a $30 band in the US. Honest question, as I thought about the 4 hour drive to Winnipeg until I saw the price tag. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    I checked out Winnipeg tickets and holy crap! Over a hundred per ticket after fees. Are they that popular in Canada? They are more of a $30 band in the US. Honest question, as I thought about the 4 hour drive to Winnipeg until I saw the price tag. 
    They have always been fairly popular in Canada, but yeah, over $100 is super excessive for OLP I think. That's more like what you pay for shows like U2 or NIN. I would have expected OLP tix to be more like $50.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    That seems super expensive.  I just paid $120cdn (after fee's) for Foo Fighters tickets.   I saw headstones do a bar show last week for $35.   I saw I Mother Earth do a bar show here last year for about the same.    I'm thinking OLP should be $30 to $50.  They're one of the great 90s Canadian bands, but they haven't put out anything good in a while and their popularity has waned.
    it's because it's a co-headlining tour with Matt Good. usually they don't cost that much. their VIP experience is $275, and that's without the ticket to the show. But you get meet and greet with both bands, soundcheck with both bands, signed merch, etc. But still, you'd have to be a massive fan to pay that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So kind of like when PJ & Petty played together in 2006 and the prices were $90, which was almost triple the 2003 ticket prices. Makes sense then. 
    lol, adding Matthew good to the bill doesn't make it a $100 ticket...
    I don't even know who that is. I was assuming another popular Canadian act? Yeah, I've heard of Google; I just don't care enough to check, LOL. 
    Zod said:
    it kind of does, actually. every time MG comes through winnipeg his shows all sell out. they've actually scheduled two shows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2017
    Zod said:
    Definitely not, lol. Maybe Matthew Good has special standing in Winnipeg or something? But no way does MG and OLP justify $100+ tix in Vancouver (IMO). Or sorry, not even Vancouver. This show is being played in Abbotsford... I always assume that means they didn't think they could get the attendance numbers in the city. They might manage to sell all the tix for an Abbotsford show though, just because nobody out that way has too much to do and avoiding the long commute into Vancouver for a show probably seems like a treat.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    Definitely not, lol. Maybe Matthew Good has special standing in Winnipeg or something? But no way does MG and OLP justify $100+ tix in Vancouver (IMO). Or sorry, not even Vancouver. This show is being played in Abbotsford... I always assume that means they didn't think they could get the attendance numbers in the city. They might manage to sell all the tix for an Abbotsford show though, just because nobody out that way has too much to do and avoiding the long commute into Vancouver for a show probably seems like a treat.
    vancouver and toronto are different than the rest of the world, entertainment-ly speaking. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    vancouver and toronto are different than the rest of the world, entertainment-ly speaking. 
    I never ever thought about that TBH. Since I'm only exposed to what's going on here, I have no clue! ... I do know that I don't like Matthew Good at all, lol. I had no intention of going to this show anyway - it's in Abbotsford and is way too expensive. But if I had considered it for OLP, I would definitely change my mind just to avoid seeing MG. It's like a repeat of how Lionel Ritchie came to town this year... but fucking Mariah Carey was incorporated into the show. I would have loved to see Lionel Ritchie, but there was no way in hell I was going to endure Mariah for him, lol. 
    I lost interest in both MG and OLP long ago (I've seen MG so many times, and OLP's post 90's stuff doesn't do it for me). But I can still see the value in seeing them both for $100. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited November 2017
    If I could see OLP for $25 I might go (not in Abbotsford though... I don't think I'd go there for free).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    If I could see OLP for $25 I might go. 
    they opened for GNR and I didn't even show up for them. and I paid a LOT of money for that ticket. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Zod said:
    it kind of does, actually. every time MG comes through winnipeg his shows all sell out. they've actually scheduled two shows. 
    I guess except you're leaving out pertinent details, like how much his solo shows are, and what size venue's he plays.

I'm seeing Queens of the Stone age w/ Eagles of Death Metal here in Victoria (which is also a smaller market that doesn't get a whole lot) and that's $70/ticket.   I feel that's much better value than $100 for OLP and Matt Good.   I was curious what they were charging for the closest show to me (which is abbotsford).  $86 for floor and close sections, 60 for mid section, and 46 for rear sections.   I think $86+fees (which would be $100) is still a little pricey.  That's only $23 less than foo fighters.   

I guess we'll see.  I loved OLP in the 90's.   I saw them open for Alanis Morisette which would of been in support of naveed.  They kicked ass.  Saw them once at the university bar, and a few times at various edgefests.  They kind of faded after that.  I didn't think they were still popular enough to warrant expensive tickets, but I'm probably not the target demographic to go?

edited November 2017
    Zod said:
    Zod said:
    I guess except you're leaving out pertinent details, like how much his solo shows are, and what size venue's he plays.

I'm seeing Queens of the Stone age w/ Eagles of Death Metal here in Victoria (which is also a smaller market that doesn't get a whole lot) and that's $70/ticket.   I feel that's much better value than $100 for OLP and Matt Good.   I was curious what they were charging for the closest show to me (which is abbotsford).  $86 for floor and close sections, 60 for mid section, and 46 for rear sections.   I think $86+fees (which would be $100) is still a little pricey.  That's only $23 less than foo fighters.   

I guess we'll see.  I loved OLP in the 90's.   I saw them open for Alanis Morisette which would of been in support of naveed.  They kicked ass.  Saw them once at the university bar, and a few times at various edgefests.  They kind of faded after that.  I didn't think they were still popular enough to warrant expensive tickets, but I'm probably not the target demographic to go?

MG's solo shows are usually at the same venue that this tour is at, which holds 1,638 people. top price for his shows I think usually hover around $40-$50. 

you have to remember this is a co-headlining tour, not a headliner with an opener. I'm guessing what that means is they will both be playing headlining-length sets, which is probably reflective of the price. 

I also loved OLP in the 90's. that alanis show with them opening was sold out, which sucked. But I saw them several times at festivals over the years. But now....meh. they still sing songs about youth depression and shit. it's weird. they're in their 40's singing about teenage topics. I find that a little odd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• New album out last Friday - Had a couple of listens and it seems a bit short, but I like!
    Any other OLPinions?
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    I haven’t listened to OLP in years, they kind of got a bit too poppy for me, Raine trying to show how high his voice can go on every tune. Happened upon the new album this morning and it’s really good! Maybe I’m just getting old but I really like it. Production is great and the songs are all good and catchy. I dig it. 
    he actually stopped using his falsetto a few albums in, but it is come back sparingly lately. because of the first few albums, I have checked out every release since. been largly disappointed. somethingness is ok, but a bit too slow and meloncholy for me. but i suppose it will have its place. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I loved Our Lady Peace so much during the Clumsy/Happiness... era. Their first two albums are absolute piledrivers. Their next two albums are patchy, but still good. It was a straight nosedive when Mike Turner left, and when Jeremy Taggart left any lingering interest I had in them disappeared completely. I gave the new album a listen the other day. It's just so generic and such a damn shame.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022