The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Can't think of a tuna noodle I've met that I didn't enjoy!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That sounds fantastic, gambo (although I'd put the peas right in there vs. the side).
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    You had me at Vodka

Made burgers tonight.  Grass fed.  Simple salting and cook in a cast iron pan.
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Pickles
    Heinz
    And..... breaking from traditional approach I put mustard on.
    Beer mustard, inspired by our recent posts on the subject of mustard.

Bangin'

Did someone mention vodka?  Ok just one!!

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I use Le Sueur canned peas and they can tend to get mashed up if mixed in, so I warm them on the side and add them to my bowl.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    There is a thread just for that!
    (Tequila and beer tonight while I read a book and have the game on in the background)

Neil Gamby introdces a good topic though....
    Vegetables.  If not fresh.....
    Frozen
    Or
    Canned

How do you roll?

I'm a Frozen guy, all the way.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Growing up, everything was fresh or frozen except for peas, which were canned Le Sueur. Is that an Ohio thing? Asking because my family is a bunch of Hicks—literally, surname Hicks!—from the Buckeye State. 

Now, I haven’t had a canned vegetable in at least 25 years. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I grew up eating mostly canned.  Canned green beans?  Omfg, horrid.  Frozen?  Much better.  Obviously, fresh is preferred

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Several years ago I procured Green Giant's canned "asparagus".  That shit was MUSH.  I'm not one to send angry letters but I came *this* close to doing so.  Their quality was much better way back.  Assholes.

Yes to frozen - corn and peas, particularly.

(fine to go with canned French-cut beans for GBC though!  Just sayin', Senor F Me)

DK, is your Hicks family related to Bill?  .....because that would make a whole lotta sense =)
    Le Sueur are just the best I guess.

It really depends on the veggie and the way you are eating it.
    I would never prepare frozen corn as a side dish, it is chewy and loses all the corn flavor.  Yuck, there is no objective basis for claiming it's better than canned, do yourself a favour and taste test them side by side.  Then again, it goes better in soups and casseroles. 
    Green beans, broccoli, carrots, frozen.
    Peas, canned all the way.
    Maybe if they froze decent peas I would eat them, but they only seem to freeze large starchy peas, which are good in soups and casseroles, but not fit for a quickly prepared side dish.  Let Sueur early young sweet peas are tiny and tender and super sweet, there is no frozen equivalent.

Peas and corn....I see a taste test in the near future!

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Canned veggies are the absolute worst.  Straight mush.

Frozen all the way.

Frozen all the way.
    Canned corn is twice as crisp as frozen, unless you don't thaw it.

rgambs said:

Frozen all the way.
    Canned corn is twice as crisp as frozen, unless you don't thaw it.

Hmmm, will look into but color me skeptical 
    If I want chewy corn, I'll save the electricity and dry it.
    Corn and peas, taste test them folks, let me know what you think.
    If you conclude that frozen is better, you will be wrong but I'll let it go lol
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Canned vegetables are for depressions and wars.
    rgambs said:
    Corn and peas, taste test them folks, let me know what you think.
    If you conclude that frozen is better, you will be wrong but I'll let it go lol
    Peas are where I drew the line, actually.  The wife grew up with canned peas and brought them into my life once and I had to set the record straight.  I don't know about the specific brand you speak of, but if they are anything along the lines of what I have had, it is dark green nasty mush.
    I'd rather have mushy peas than starchy peas!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Y’all see how F Me is dividing us again?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited November 2017
    rgambs said:
    I'd rather have mushy peas than starchy peas!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Hahahaha!

What other kinds of beans do you eat out of turn? Do you wait until your bush beans are fat and starchy too, or do you eat them at peak ripeness?

dankind said:
    Y’all see how F Me is dividing us again?
    :rofl:

I am going to do a taste test, for real.  Will choose "high end" options from both and report back at some time in the not too distant future. 
    I am going to do a taste test, for real.  Will choose "high end" options from both and report back at some time in the not too distant future. 
    I like your resolve!  

I will concede that frozen is better for soups and casseroles and similar dishes, that's off the table.  But as an unadorned side dish... Let there be war.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    I grew up eating mostly canned.  Canned green beans?  Omfg, horrid.  Frozen?  Much better.  Obviously, fresh is preferred

Oh man, I felt like we had canned green beans with every meal growing up.  So disgusting.  I still don't eat green beans to this day....
    Hahaha I think disgusting is a bit much! 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Corn and peas I prefer frozen, green beans I prefer canned, french cut.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    Corn and peas are fine frozen, and are the only veggies (well, is corn a veggie? It's a grain, right?) that can be frozen. I would never eat any other frozen veg unless I was starving to death. I also think that canned veggies are vomit-worthy. I wouldn't eat any canned veggies unless I was living in a post-apocalyptic world where all the soil is dead and can't grow things anymore.
    Why would anyone use canned or frozen green beans anyway, when they are readily available fresh all year round? I at least understand canning or freezing peas and corn because of the "format" - most aren't husking their own peas and stripping corn cobs - but why can beans? It's like canning broccoli.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I think you're looking outnumbered here, gambs.  The force is strong on the anti-canned takes.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Mushroom, prosciutto , evoo and garlic sauce over ravioli. Locatelli to taste. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......