***The Official Stone Temple Pilots Thread***

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I don't even know what the X-Factor is. Dumped TV years ago.
    haha. me too (netflix only). but it's the british version of American Idol. Simon Cowell's talent show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Gotcha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I have never heard of Jeff Gutt and don't watch any of those dumb panel-of-judges talent shows.  So, like 2-feign, I'm coming into this blind (or deaf, should I say?).  I really dig the new single after the first listen.

Like Hugh said, listen to it for what it is instead of focusing on what it isn't.  And what it is, to me, is Stone Temple Pilots.  It sounds like the band I remember.  Sure, the guy does sound a lot like Weiland but it's different enough that at least I can discern.  And no offense to the deceased, but he sounds a hell of a lot better than Chester.  I gotta say, based off this single alone, I'm looking forward to some new STP!
    new album Spring 2018.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Looks like they went for a Scott sound a like.  
    It’s a hard call to make, at the end of the day they needed someone who could sing the songs in a recognisable way. They tried something different with Chester, and whilst I don’t want to put him down, for obvious reasons, I don’t think he was a great fit.

I like the new song, decent chorus, and thankfully some really strong vocals. I’m looking forward to the album. 
    As a side note, I did feel that heavy feeling of ‘what could have been’ with Scott, especially as it’s approaching the 2nd anniversary of his passing. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    heard the song today on the radio.  It was ok.  didn't love it, didn't hate it.  Sounded like it could have been off their self titled album from a few years ago.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    I kind of like the new single. The guitar sounds great.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    The new song is good!  Much better then i expected.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Yeah I like the new single...sounds like STP
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    If I heard this on the radio without knowing I would've thought it was a lost track from the Weiland days. I think it sounds good. Nothing groundbreaking, but a good rock song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Full show with the new guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlUPqzsRA1Q&t=1546s sounds pretty damn good to me

Fuck yeah! Love it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I enjoyed that a lot more than i thought I would, to be honest. I thought they sounded really good.
    Cheers for posting it!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I was fortunate enough to have seen STP with Scott three times, in 1996, 2000 and 2010. All three shows were amazing. 

I would gladly pay the cost of admission to see them again with their new singer. Quite impressed.

Thanks for posting that complete show!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

• Album drops March 16. New single, tour dates. Haven't listened to it yet but Meadow was pretty good.
    I am wired and fading...
    Meadow was good. The new one isn't the greatest. will listen to it more over the weekend. sometimes headphones make all the difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I was an STP fan before I was a PJ fan...I'm glad they went with a Weiland soundalike whether intentional or not.  It fits.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • It's another strong song, I think he's a great singer in his own right.  Looking forward to the record.
    I was an STP fan before I was a PJ fan...I'm glad they went with a Weiland soundalike whether intentional or not.  It fits.
    thing that bothers me the most is their live show. the whole band did a facebook Q&A when Jeff was announced as the new singer. Several people asked about playing deep cuts live. Robert responded something like "deep cuts? what deep cuts? we play all our songs!". Um, no, you don't. Look at their tour stats for each year. They play 15-20 songs for a headlining set, which is bad enough, and it's mostly the same rotation of songs. Very few deep cuts. If they play a one-off, it's usually a cover. Which is why I skipped going to see them the last time they were here. 3 times for the same album, I just couldn't be bothered. Which is too bad. The show sold so poorly that it was downgraded to a 1500 seat venue, which actually would have been cool. Then Scott broke off from the band again, he was scheduled to play that same venue, but sold so poorly that show was downgraded to a 200 capacity dive bar. I regret not going to that now, as it wasn't long after that he died. But even if he hadn't, $40 to see Scott solo in such a small place? would have been cool, but I had been reading reports of him being so out of it on that tour that the shows all sucked. 

I wonder if they'll play any of the CheSTP stuff. I kinda doubt it. 

speaking of tour stats, apparently they played here in Winnipeg in 93 for Core opening for Megadeth on their Countdown to Extinction tour. I loved that album too. No idea why I didn't go. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I don't think they attracted the die hard audience that a band like Pearl Jam does, so they just went the same greatest hits setlist with a couple of new songs thrown in.  Scott was such a shadow of his former self by the end, I don't think I would have wanted to see him in that state.  It's hard looking back, remembering how good he was.  I've been on a bit of a Doors kick recently, and stumbled across his performance with the remaining members.  His version of Break On Through was just incredible - his versatility was beyond.  I'd hope they don't play any of the stuff they did with Chester, it was pretty unremarkable, in my opinion of course.
    I don't think they attracted the die hard audience that a band like Pearl Jam does, so they just went the same greatest hits setlist with a couple of new songs thrown in.  Scott was such a shadow of his former self by the end, I don't think I would have wanted to see him in that state.  It's hard looking back, remembering how good he was.  I've been on a bit of a Doors kick recently, and stumbled across his performance with the remaining members.  His version of Break On Through was just incredible - his versatility was beyond.  I'd hope they don't play any of the stuff they did with Chester, it was pretty unremarkable, in my opinion of course.
    I said the same thing about the Foo. And many people in that thread schooled me on the fact that they have many die hard fans who travel to see them just like PJ does. So I thought "maybe i was wrong about STP's fans too". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I don't think they attracted the die hard audience that a band like Pearl Jam does, so they just went the same greatest hits setlist with a couple of new songs thrown in.  Scott was such a shadow of his former self by the end, I don't think I would have wanted to see him in that state.  It's hard looking back, remembering how good he was.  I've been on a bit of a Doors kick recently, and stumbled across his performance with the remaining members.  His version of Break On Through was just incredible - his versatility was beyond.  I'd hope they don't play any of the stuff they did with Chester, it was pretty unremarkable, in my opinion of course.
    I said the same thing about the Foo. And many people in that thread schooled me on the fact that they have many die hard fans who travel to see them just like PJ does. So I thought "maybe i was wrong about STP's fans too". 
    The key difference with the Foo Fighters being that they appealed to a much wider audience in the first place than STP. 
    I don't think they attracted the die hard audience that a band like Pearl Jam does, so they just went the same greatest hits setlist with a couple of new songs thrown in.  Scott was such a shadow of his former self by the end, I don't think I would have wanted to see him in that state.  It's hard looking back, remembering how good he was.  I've been on a bit of a Doors kick recently, and stumbled across his performance with the remaining members.  His version of Break On Through was just incredible - his versatility was beyond.  I'd hope they don't play any of the stuff they did with Chester, it was pretty unremarkable, in my opinion of course.
    The key difference with the Foo Fighters being that they appealed to a much wider audience in the first place than STP. 
    yeah, I know, but my point is, if a band has that many followers that go to multiple shows, there's very low risk in playing a deep cut or a b side, so why more bands don't do it is beyond me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    thing that bothers me the most is their live show. the whole band did a facebook Q&A when Jeff was announced as the new singer. Several people asked about playing deep cuts live. Robert responded something like "deep cuts? what deep cuts? we play all our songs!". Um, no, you don't. Look at their tour stats for each year. They play 15-20 songs for a headlining set, which is bad enough, and it's mostly the same rotation of songs. Very few deep cuts. If they play a one-off, it's usually a cover. Which is why I skipped going to see them the last time they were here. 3 times for the same album, I just couldn't be bothered. Which is too bad. The show sold so poorly that it was downgraded to a 1500 seat venue, which actually would have been cool. Then Scott broke off from the band again, he was scheduled to play that same venue, but sold so poorly that show was downgraded to a 200 capacity dive bar. I regret not going to that now, as it wasn't long after that he died. But even if he hadn't, $40 to see Scott solo in such a small place? would have been cool, but I had been reading reports of him being so out of it on that tour that the shows all sucked. 

speaking of tour stats, apparently they played here in Winnipeg in 93 for Core opening for Megadeth on their Countdown to Extinction tour. I loved that album too. No idea why I didn't go. 
    They're doing a "you choose the songs we play" thing for the upcoming tour.

https://settheset.com/t/stone-temple-pilots

We will see if the setlist changes. And yes, the Chester songs are listed, so there's a possibility they will play those songs.

We will see if the setlist changes. And yes, the Chester songs are listed, so there's a possibility they will play those songs.
    i read that they did that before and completely ignored the requests. but hopefully!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465

i read that they did that before and completely ignored the requests. but hopefully!
    Yep, I'll believe it when I see it.
    listening to Army of Anyone right now. not a huge fan of richard patrick, but always love the deleos' music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

does anyone have those AOA bonus tracks? i had them all before my pc crashed. 

B-sides

1. "Good Time to Loosen" (iTunes exclusive)
    2. "Used to Know Her" (iTunes exclusive)

Bonus tracks

1. "Ain't Enough (Acoustic)" (Target exclusive)
    2. "It Doesn't Seem to Matter (Acoustic)" (Best Buy exclusive)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have one of em’ - PM me 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,971
    does anyone have those AOA bonus tracks? i had them all before my pc crashed. 

B-sides

1. "Good Time to Loosen" (iTunes exclusive)
    2. "Used to Know Her" (iTunes exclusive)

Bonus tracks

1. "Ain't Enough (Acoustic)" (Target exclusive)
    2. "It Doesn't Seem to Matter (Acoustic)" (Best Buy exclusive)
    Which session are these from? Just something they did for iTunes and Target?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1