PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    @Jearlpam0925, we asked the three year old what he wants to do most today.  "Ride on a train"
    Worked that into a train to 9th and Locust and a walk to Jake's for a Turducken Sammy.
    Good heads up.  Sounds like an awesome monstrosity.
    Nice, man. Let me know what you think. It sounds like too much crap on a sandwich, but nope, all the right amount of crap on a sandwich.
    Awesome!  About ten other things I wanted on the menu as well.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    the fuck?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Fucking sweet, dude. I think I'm gonna get another for lunch this week. I mean I kinda have to...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Any of you watch Vice Principals? That was one of the most ridiculously entertaining finales I've ever seen
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I watch it and am up to date up to last night's finale.  I will watch sometime this week. 
    Not nearly as good as Eastbound & Down but that guy just kills me. 
    Glad to hear it was fun.  I have gone back and forth on VP, but there are no less than a few times every week where I crack up at the idiocy.

I watch it and am up to date up to last night's finale.  I will watch sometime this week. 
    Glad to hear it was fun.  I have gone back and forth on VP, but there are no less than a few times every week where I crack up at the idiocy.

I actually have it right up there with Eastbound and Down...maybe even a tad better. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Walton Goggins is pretty great. 
    I just liked his character 5x more from E&D. 

I actually have it right up there with Eastbound and Down...maybe even a tad better. 
    I can get down with this. Eastbound lost its greatness once it looked for more of a storyline - Mexico and what not. Walton Goggins is Kenny Powers if they just left Kenny Powers as a gym teacher.

I can get down with this. Eastbound lost its greatness once it looked for more of a storyline - Mexico and what not. Walton Goggins is Kenny Powers if they just left Kenny Powers as a gym teacher.
    Poor guy had his hand eaten by a tiger last night. haha 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I didn't realize this, but there's a Cracker Barrel now in Delco just off 95. I HATE most everything food-chain-wise....but I think this  is worthy of me getting in the car and going down 95 for fifteen minutes. I have an irrational obsession with - and therefore FUCKING LOVE - Cracker Barrel.
    Never eaten at one.  What is it that drives your irrational obsession?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Cracker Barrel is the absolute pits.  There is one just north of Syracuse that we would drive by on the way to the 1,000 Islands pretty much every weekend.  Stopped once out of curiosity. Never again.

Haven't been there in years but you can't beat the ol' Country Boy Breakfast. That was always a favorite of mine. 

Not a fan of anything but breakfast there though...

chinese-happy.jpg
    Never eaten at one.  What is it that drives your irrational obsession?
    It's mainly the peg puzzle triangle game jawn. And the ones in the south always had sausage and biscuits served whether you ordered them or not.

And as Jugs has said - the Country Boy breakfast. 

And the syrup.
    Sausage and biscuits sound good.
    Sausage and biscuits sound good.
    Correction: I meant biscuits and gravy...which also has sausage in it. I'm chalking it up to baby brain.
    Fuck it. I'm going to the one in Plymouth Meeting for breakfast on Saturday
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Dude, just make biscuits and gravy yourself.  They are soo good and really easy.
    Dude, just make biscuits and gravy yourself.  They are soo good and really easy.
    Take it to your Food Thread, guy.
    I wanna play checkers on a big board too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This story is crazy
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/roy-halladay-chris-carpenter-swam-in-the-amazon-river-20171114.html

“I could talk to you about how he texted me after Game 5 in 2011, while I was still on the bus and he was still sitting at his locker after pitching his heart out, to congratulate me. To wish me good luck the rest of the way,” Carpenter said. “And, of course, how he was looking forward to the trip to Brazil going fishing.

“Let’s talk about that trip. We never spoke about Game 5, except for the first night. I had to mention — I don’t think most people know — but I did get a hit off him that game. I had to mention it, just once. Then he told me to shut up. We all had a laugh and didn’t talk about it anymore. We just wanted to get away from all that and relax.

“He was never afraid of a challenge or doing something that others might not want to do. Or dare do. Like one of the days we went fishing, it was 100 degrees out, and he wanted to jump in the Amazon River. Remember now, we’re in the jungle. The water is as clear as a cup of coffee. And we’ve been catching piranhas all day. I looked at him and said, ‘You’re freaking nuts.’ He said, ‘I know. Come on Carp, it’s wicked hot and I’m sweating like crazy. We can say that we swam in the Amazon River. Who do we know who could ever say that?’ OK, good point, let’s do it.

“He talked back and forth with our guide. They speak Portuguese. Doc was using Spanish words. [The guide] was using Portuguese words. It was free entertainment. Finally, they decide on a good place to swim. The guide stopped, looked at us, and said, ‘Swim.’ Before I knew it, Doc was belly-flopping into that coffee-colored water. He proceeded to backstroke around. I literally have video of this. I was like, ‘Dude, get back in the boat. You’re going to get eaten by something.’

“After I thought a little bit more, I jumped in. Before I could even hit the water, I was doggy-paddling in the air to get back out. We both go back in the boat, all cooled off, and feeling good. We cracked a beer and cheers’d to how stupid that was. But we were still pretty sure we wouldn’t meet anybody else in our lives who said they did that.”

This story is crazy
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/roy-halladay-chris-carpenter-swam-in-the-amazon-river-20171114.html

“I could talk to you about how he texted me after Game 5 in 2011, while I was still on the bus and he was still sitting at his locker after pitching his heart out, to congratulate me. To wish me good luck the rest of the way,” Carpenter said. “And, of course, how he was looking forward to the trip to Brazil going fishing.

“Let’s talk about that trip. We never spoke about Game 5, except for the first night. I had to mention — I don’t think most people know — but I did get a hit off him that game. I had to mention it, just once. Then he told me to shut up. We all had a laugh and didn’t talk about it anymore. We just wanted to get away from all that and relax.

“He was never afraid of a challenge or doing something that others might not want to do. Or dare do. Like one of the days we went fishing, it was 100 degrees out, and he wanted to jump in the Amazon River. Remember now, we’re in the jungle. The water is as clear as a cup of coffee. And we’ve been catching piranhas all day. I looked at him and said, ‘You’re freaking nuts.’ He said, ‘I know. Come on Carp, it’s wicked hot and I’m sweating like crazy. We can say that we swam in the Amazon River. Who do we know who could ever say that?’ OK, good point, let’s do it.

“He talked back and forth with our guide. They speak Portuguese. Doc was using Spanish words. [The guide] was using Portuguese words. It was free entertainment. Finally, they decide on a good place to swim. The guide stopped, looked at us, and said, ‘Swim.’ Before I knew it, Doc was belly-flopping into that coffee-colored water. He proceeded to backstroke around. I literally have video of this. I was like, ‘Dude, get back in the boat. You’re going to get eaten by something.’

“After I thought a little bit more, I jumped in. Before I could even hit the water, I was doggy-paddling in the air to get back out. We both go back in the boat, all cooled off, and feeling good. We cracked a beer and cheers’d to how stupid that was. But we were still pretty sure we wouldn’t meet anybody else in our lives who said they did that.”

I watched this a little bit and actually saw this part.  I felt a little weird about this story.  He clearly died seeking thrills and adventure and I am not sure talking about a fond memory of him doing something crazy is the thing to share in that setting.  I don't know.  Just felt a little weird with his kids there.

Speaking of, the bigger kid with the hair, man he looked uncomfortable.  Feel so terrible for those kids.
    I guess that depends on someone's definition of crazy, no? Granted, the plane thing I think was pretty reckless but stories like that Amazon story are pretty great - the point is live your life, don't be afraid of living that life, come away with experiences because in the end that's what it's all about. You take nothing with you when you die, you rot in the ground. He felt the need to have experiences that made life worth living, and I can respect the hell out of that.

And I get it about the kids, but they seem to be raised pretty well and will come away with their own feelings on all this.
    Saw his wife's part last night. Really difficult to watch...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Saw his wife's part last night. Really difficult to watch...
    Watched some of it this morning. Got about halfway through and thank god the stream got all buffered so I had an excuse to turn it off. 
    edited November 2017
    I guess that depends on someone's definition of crazy, no? Granted, the plane thing I think was pretty reckless but stories like that Amazon story are pretty great - the point is live your life, don't be afraid of living that life, come away with experiences because in the end that's what it's all about. You take nothing with you when you die, you rot in the ground. He felt the need to have experiences that made life worth living, and I can respect the hell out of that.

And I get it about the kids, but they seem to be raised pretty well and will come away with their own feelings on all this.
    I don't know.  I mean I think fishing in the Amazon is a pretty amazing experience living life in itself, without jumping into murky water with god knows what that could kill you.  Likewise, flying a plane is likely a pretty exhilarating experience without flying 10 feet off the water.

Whatever though, no one there seemed to have a problem with it, so no reason for me to.  Just didn't feel that setting is the time to highlight reckless behavior.  Was just kinda uncomfortable knowing that that mindset that he had in the Amazon likely lead to his death and was being highlighted as a positive.
    If I'm fishing on the Amazon and it's 100 degrees out I think I could see myself doing that for the same reasons. What I cannot see myself doing is dipsy doos in a tiny airplane over water, which I am piloting.
    I think he was taking risks that he is free to take...but that many might question given his status as a parent.
    I have done lots and lots of crazy shit that I cannot imagine doing now that I am responsible for 2 kids.  (Although I do have a fat life insurance policy...and obviously his family was set financially)  That being stated....there are risks I still take that I likely should not.
    It is life, people are going to do what they justify for themselves as OK. 

I have been fishing many times on trips in the bayou and I refuse to jump in.  Flat out refuse.  Gators scare the crap out of me.  I don't even like riding the jet-ski around in those waters, although I have done it many times.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    as bad a rap as philly has.....

you guys are a’ight.

:nohugtho:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11