William Patrick Corgan

2»

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Wma31394 said:
    4 great albums is license to be an ass.. besides most of it is tongue and cheek..how do you rate his contemporaries new music these days?? Thats right you cant since they are dead or not making music anymore..

Pearl jam?? - hardly any new music..average at best.
    um, no, it's not. most of it is not tongue in cheek. he's actually been apologetic lately about being such a dick. 

WPC has a history of releasing every single thing he writes, at least eventually. he throws all the shit at the wall and sees what sticks. that's part of the reason people can't get into his music; there's too much water to wade through. 

that comment about his contemporaries was gross. 
    Gross??? Its a fact..Why would all the shit against the wall bother anyone? If you dont like it..fair enough...i dont like 75% of it. 
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Wma31394 said:
    Furthermore he takes chances with the music he releases..has pearl jam ever gone adrift and tried something new?? I dont think so. 
    well, pj's leader wrote and released a fucking ukulele album. I think that qualifies. either way, not sure why what pj does is relevant to this discussion. 

most of WPC's SP stuff sounds mostly the same as it always has. Adore was an anomaly, but everything else.....kinda just a rehash of things he's done in the past. And I have it ALL. LOL. I keep giving the guy a shot. 
    You're right, not a relevant part of this discussion, but I can't resist adding that just about all of the band's side projects are something new and a big departure from Pearl Jam. I also think that PJ's entire mid-career body of work went adrift (in a good way) and was something new.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Wma31394 said:
    Wma31394 said:
    4 great albums is license to be an ass.. besides most of it is tongue and cheek..how do you rate his contemporaries new music these days?? Thats right you cant since they are dead or not making music anymore..

Pearl jam?? - hardly any new music..average at best.
    um, no, it's not. most of it is not tongue in cheek. he's actually been apologetic lately about being such a dick. 

WPC has a history of releasing every single thing he writes, at least eventually. he throws all the shit at the wall and sees what sticks. that's part of the reason people can't get into his music; there's too much water to wade through. 

that comment about his contemporaries was gross. 
    Gross??? Its a fact..Why would all the shit against the wall bother anyone? If you dont like it..fair enough...i dont like 75% of it. 
    it was the way it was put. 

because there's too much to wade through, as I just stated. when he re-releases an album, he makes it fucking 300 tracks with 14 different versions of Starla on it. If the guy didn't learn from his "one song every 3 months" thing to keep people's attention, no one's going to give a shit about a gaggle of songs that are all different demo versions that are all basically the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

FWIW, Neil Young also just releases everything he writes and doesn't give a shit what sticks, but that doesn't prevent people from continuing to love him. They don't seem to struggle with his massive and varied body of work at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Fair enough what pj does is irrelevant in this discussion..but like many say here on these boards about pj..just be happy hes still making music and touring after all these years. Some new material youll like and some you wont. To your point i dont think how he releases his art should factor in anything..the music biz has changed. If he wants to release a synth album at a tea shop thats his choice.
    I'm not happy Billy is still making music or touring because I think he's doing a terrible job of both. But I am happy for those who do enjoy it! ;)
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not happy Billy is still making music or touring because I think he's doing a terrible job of both. But I am happy for those who do enjoy it! ;)
    Ha..this tour is billy at his best..acoustic songs spanning his whole career. Many songs we haven't heard live since the early 90s...and Ogilala in its enterity. Also different versions on piano that Hugh will appreciate  ;)
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
    I expect good things in the future from Billy, WPC, and Smashing Pumpkins. I think hes finding/found peace in his own skin. I predict hes going to be one hell of a blues guitarist in his elder years.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    been really turned off to the guy and his music since he started doing appearances on Alex Jones' show.

Haha, yeah. What the fuck is that all about. Corgan is a loon.
    I'm not one to bad-mouth any music.  If it's out there, somebody must like it.  So be it.

But I'm with you guys.  I think Corgan is out to lunch big time which makes it more than a little difficult to care much about what he is doing musically. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Wma31394 said:
    I expect good things in the future from Billy, WPC, and Smashing Pumpkins. I think hes finding/found peace in his own skin. I predict hes going to be one hell of a blues guitarist in his elder years.
    I agree 100%.  This new album is fantastic and he seems to be in balance right now.  Lookin forward to his shows/
    PJ_Soul said:
    FWIW, Neil Young also just releases everything he writes and doesn't give a shit what sticks, but that doesn't prevent people from continuing to love him. They don't seem to struggle with his massive and varied body of work at all.
    I do. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Wma31394 said:
    Fair enough what pj does is irrelevant in this discussion..but like many say here on these boards about pj..just be happy hes still making music and touring after all these years. Some new material youll like and some you wont. To your point i dont think how he releases his art should factor in anything..the music biz has changed. If he wants to release a synth album at a tea shop thats his choice.
    it's just a discussion about him. of course he can do what he wants. But I can also say what I want about it. I'm not "thankful he's still releasing music". I couldn't give a shit, honestly. he has so much out there, and he's not one of my faves anymore, but I'll check it out and buy it when it comes out. if I don't like it, I won't listen to it anymore. 

well how he releases his art HAS factored into it for me. I LOVED the idea of the Teargarden project. it got me invested in it, getting excited about a new track every 6 weeks or so. Not releasing a ridiculous amount of sound-alike demos all at once to sift through. I was disappointed when he abandoned the project. But that's his choice. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Wma31394 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ha..this tour is billy at his best..acoustic songs spanning his whole career. Many songs we haven't heard live since the early 90s...and Ogilala in its enterity. Also different versions on piano that Hugh will appreciate  ;)
    if he came here solo I'd go, but he won't, so that's not a concern. I enjoyed when he played Oceania in its entirety. I dig those shows. I am a minority in that I like to listen to a whole record, so I LIKE when older artists play as much new stuff as possible live. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I love this crazy fucker. digging the new album. can't wait for the Nashville show. JUPITERS LAMENT or some rarity.

shapeshifters welcome.  

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• He was on Stern this week and I couldn’t get through the entire interview. He’s a pretentious gas bag
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    lolobugg said:

I love this crazy fucker. digging the new album. can't wait for the Nashville show. JUPITERS LAMENT or some rarity.

shapeshifters welcome.  

Me too lolo - you said it mate. On my first listen this morning and man, it's so, so good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    As someone who isn't that much of a Corgan fan - mostly due to the tune and pitch of his voice, little bit because of the douche factor - I have to say I like the new album. Lyrically it is beautiful and when he isn't trying to do whatever he does to his voice for Pumpkins stuff it's not so bad. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    lolobugg said:

shapeshifters welcome.  

Me too lolo - you said it mate. On my first listen this morning and man, it's so, so good! 

me and you, man

I think we are about the same age and probably experienced the Pumpkins in the same way.

I am forever grateful to BillCo and I will always support him... (unless he rapes or kills someone)

BTW........ the concert was wonderful. lot's of way stuff and different arrangements.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Wma31394 said:

Dude! this was the setlist I wish he would've played in Nashville. oh well. lucky Californians.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Yea that LA show was a great one..love that porcelina version..check the same guys other videos from that show..great tour for billy.
    Wma31394 said:
    Yea that LA show was a great one..love that porcelina version..check the same guys other videos from that show..great tour for billy.
    that is was. need to check to see if any audio boots are out there from LA night 3.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2