Stone Gossard contributes new song "Obey The Law Of The Heart" to ‘Basmati Blues’ Soundtrack

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    So when is the release date on this?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2017
    New music is a good thing!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QElmY0lp8

:)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,316
    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pearl-jam-records-first-new-song-since-2013/

PEARL JAM Records First New Song Since 2013

PEARL JAM Records First New Song Since 2013

According to The Pulse Of Radio, PEARL JAM is contributing a new song called "Obey The Law Of The Heart" to the soundtrack of an upcoming film called "Basmati Blues". Written by guitarist Stone Gossard, and performed by PEARL JAM with Sain Zahoor and Priya Darshini, it's the band's first new song since the release of its 2013 LP "Lightning Bolt". "Basmati Blues" is an independent musical romantic comedy film starring Academy Award winner Brie Larson, Scott Bakula and Donald Sutherland.

The band has posted a preview of the track online. The film just opened in Sweden but currently does not have a North American release date.

Although there have been rumors that the band is working on a new album, PEARL JAM has not indicated when or if it will return to the studio.

Guitarist Stone Gossard told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that the band never sets out with a predetermined goal for a new LP. "It's very difficult to set out to do something and achieve it, as opposed to just each song, try to make it as good as you can," he said. "We set out more like, we're gonna make a record and we know we're gonna… everyone's gonna write some songs, and we're gonna try to do the best for each of those songs and then we're gonna see what we've got at the end and figure out how to put 'em together, you know. It's much less planned than you would imagine."

The group took most of 2017 off, getting together only to perform at their induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame last April. A documentary chronicling the group's two-night August 2016 stand at Chicago's Wrigley Field, titled "Let's Play Two", came out in late September.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pearl-jam-records-first-new-song-since-2013.html#6ss8YIUBbTsecaZ7.99

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Not hearing a preview 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Not hearing a preview 
    I think that is the song. Ed’s not singing. Sain Zahoor and Priya Darshini are. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RS151862 said:
    Not hearing a preview 
    If the song in the movie trailer is THE song... it will be the 3rd song in the PJ catalog I don't like. Ugh!  These guys better not turn into Coldfuckingplay.
    The only thing that gives me any bit of hope is the article states "the band has posted a preview of the track online."  There is nothing on this website or any of their official social media pages even mentioning the song or the film.
    RS151862 said:
    Not hearing a preview 
    If the song in the movie trailer is THE song... it will be the 3rd song in the PJ catalog I don't like. Ugh!  These guys better not turn into Coldfuckingplay.
    The only thing that gives me any bit of hope is the article states "the band has posted a preview of the track online."  There is nothing on this website or any of their official social media pages even mentioning the song or the film.
    Believe me, I hope I’m wrong. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Stones sings it. Interesting. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Cool.  It'll be nice to hear a clearer version, but it doesn't sound bad from what I can make out.
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    hey pjsoul, appears I was right..
    Eheheheh..
  • GoinHungry94GoinHungry94 Albuquerque, NM Posts: 236
    RiotZact said:
    Said every Pearl Jam fan right before the started playing Ole on Jimmy Fallon. 
    Effin A, youse right about that
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    PJ Wrigley--08-20 & 22 2016
    PJ Wrigley--08-18 & 20 2018
    Denver— 09-22-2022
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    "Real Thing" written by Dave Abbruzzese, Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Senan Reyes (Sen Dog), Louis Freese (B Real), Lawrence Muggard (DJ Muggs)
    Thanks! But Eddie still might have a role.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    RiotZact said:
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    wasn't this one listed as "Pearl Jam" as well?  it could be Stone on vocals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QElmY0lp8

Yeah, but I think Eddie was still involved somewhere. Same with Mankind, right? I'm just thinking that Pearl Jam isn't Pearl Jam when Eddie literally has nothing to do with it, and it's just some combo of the other members alone. I dunno, just a theory, lol.
    edited November 2017
    RiotZact said:
    Olé is a pretty mediocre song.. but the only time I really, really wished that it was not a PJ song what I was hearing, has been the first time I heard Sirens. Pearl Jam going full Bon Jovi.
    edited November 2017
    RiotZact said:
    Olé is a pretty mediocre song.. but the only time I really, really wished that it was not a PJ song what I was hearing, has been the first time I heard Sirens. Pearl Jam going full Bon Jovi.
    Good point. I think I felt the same. Ole is horrible, but at least it still just felt like PJ doing a bad song. Sirens is just confusing as fuck.
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    RiotZact said:
    Good point. I think I felt the same. Ole is horrible, but at least it still just felt like PJ doing a bad song. Sirens is just confusing as fuck.
    yeah, Olé does not bother me that much anymore, I even still listen to it (and actually enjoy it) from time to time, plus it's not a song that takes up space on an actual album. do I dare to say it, I even come to appreciate Sweet Lew (yes), enjoyable bass lines and funny song that has been put where it belongs. There's not a single element that I enjoy in Sirens, from the cheesy lyrics to the music, even the guitar solo is cringeworthy. what the hell were they thinkin?
    and to be back on topic, we pretty much have a rival for Sirens here..
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
    edited November 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    RiotZact said:
    yeah, Olé does not bother me that much anymore, I even still listen to it (and actually enjoy it) from time to time, plus it's not a song that takes up space on an actual album. do I dare to say it, I even come to appreciate Sweet Lew (yes), enjoyable bass lines and funny song that has been put where it belongs. There's not a single element that I enjoy in Sirens, from the cheesy lyrics to the music, even the guitar solo is cringeworthy. what the hell were they thinkin?
    and to be back on topic, we pretty much have a rival for Sirens here..
    Oh man, Ole is still like sticking knives in my ears, lol.
    As for Sirens... it's totally weird and uncomfortable to me, but I think it has one redeeming quality - that way Eddie put that one phrase together, the part about death over the shoulder... I think the lyrics are tied together with the music in kind of an interesting way in that part. But besides that, yeah, it's just too weird for me. It's also weird for me to know that some of the band and BoB think of it as one of the band's masterpieces. BoB actually said that it's the best thing they've done since Black.:tired_face: That just worries me, lol.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited November 2017

so I swear I heard a PJ song that I have never heard before last Friday at Barnes and Nobles.

Ed was def singing. does anyone have a clue what this might be? sounded like a female was singing background vocals.

I am totally stumped as was my girl. neither of us have ever heard it before.

Any ideas?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited November 2017
    lolobugg said:

so I swear I heard a PJ song that I have never heard before last Friday at Barnes and Nobles.

Ed was def singing. does anyone have a clue what this might be? sounded like a female was singing background vocals.

Any ideas?

what type of song? uke, guitar, acoustic? do you remember some lyrics? Maybe Golden State? Or Croon Spoon?
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
    edited November 2017
    lolobugg said:

Any ideas?

what type of song? uke, guitar, acoustic? do you remember some lyrics? Maybe Golden State?
    Yeah, I was thinking Golden State too, but the female part is a lot more than background vocals - it's a full on duet - so I figured that couldn't be it. :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Could be Again Today, I think Brandi Carlile sings back up on that. We could easily solve this if you would sing a few bars. 

edited November 2017
    RS151862 said:
    Could be Again Today, I think Brandi Carlile sings back up on that. We could easily solve this if you would sing a few bars. 

Ah, you're probably right about the song. I forgot that there were female backup vocals in that (not a fan). If that's it lolobugg, I'm not surprised you weren't aware of it. I felt like it flew pretty far below the radar for something Eddie did.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    lolobugg said:

Any ideas?

what type of song? uke, guitar, acoustic? do you remember some lyrics? Maybe Golden State? Or Croon Spoon?
    RS151862 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    RS151862 said:

Ah, you're probably right about the song. I forgot that there were female backup vocals in that (not a fan). If that's it lolobugg, I'm not surprised you weren't aware of it. I felt like it flew pretty far below the radar for something Eddie did.

Thanks guys and gals. I think it probably is the Brandi Carlisle song. It was a full band song. rocking uptempo. Ed sounded a little like the Boss in some parts. no uke. I wish I could remember the words. I will try to track down that BC song. thanks for your help

it's been a long time since I heard a Ed song on the radio that I couldn't place.

I would have to go back to "Against the 70s" when it used to get radio play.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Not bad. 
  • KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:

Any ideas?

RS151862 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    RS151862 said:

Thanks guys and gals. I think it probably is the Brandi Carlisle song. It was a full band song. rocking uptempo. Ed sounded a little like the Boss in some parts. no uke. I wish I could remember the words. I will try to track down that BC song. thanks for your help

it's been a long time since I heard a Ed song on the radio that I couldn't place.

I would have to go back to "Against the 70s" when it used to get radio play.

Could be "Golden State" with Natalie Maines?
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
    Yep. that's the song I was looking for. Thanks.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,316
    Pearl Jam share new song ‘Obey The Law Of The Heart’ https://t.co/Oh1t7wMCeq