9/1/05 George, WA Show-Tom Petty Comments

JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
edited July 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
I am currently listening to this show & I noticed that Ed comments on Tom Petty quite a bit so I was wondering did anyone know what the story was behind this,sounds a little like Tom pissed Ed off.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prince119prince119 Posts: 104
    Petty was playing the next night at the Gorge.

Eddie first acknowledged this by saying that the next night a "great man will be playing here....Mr. Tom Petty."

Through the night he convinced the crowd that Tom was staying at a hotel and he could "probably hear us right now" (There is not a hotel within MILES of the Gorge ha ha)

So he had the crowd chant "Hello Tom.....Come Down Tom" To try to convince him to come and play with PJ.

He never showed, but Eddie came out and did "Won't back down" as the opener of the 2nd encore"

He was not angry at Tom at all and it was a very funny few moments. My buddies were CONVINCED that Petty was going to show and all the while I kept telling them that there was no way. Didn't want to get my hopes up.

For what it is worth, this is the best show I have seen of the 12 I have seen.
  • There actually is a hotel located right next to the Gorge. But, its only for the bands that are playing there. Its right at the winery right next door. Tom was actually siting in the third row next to my buddy so if Tom wanted to come up and play he could've easily. What I didn't understand though is why he didn't come up and play.
  • JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    Funny,thanks for the info,great show as usual.
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    There actually is a hotel located right next to the Gorge. But, its only for the bands that are playing there. Its right at the winery right next door. Tom was actually siting in the third row next to my buddy so if Tom wanted to come up and play he could've easily. What I didn't understand though is why he didn't come up and play.

Not for bands only....my hubby and I stayed there for the PJ shows in 2006 (booked the room the day the show was announced by 10C, which was odd...it was suprisingly easy to do, which was odder. Yeah, the band was there, but we left them alone. It was too hot to bother them anyway...
    be philanthropic
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    Tom was actually siting in the third row next to my buddy so if Tom wanted to come up and play he could've easily. What I didn't understand though is why he didn't come up and play.
    This I do not believe at all.
  • mozettimozetti Posts: 95
    Jboogie wrote:
    I am currently listening to this show & I noticed that Ed comments on Tom Petty quite a bit so I was wondering did anyone know what the story was behind this,sounds a little like Tom pissed Ed off.

Not listening too closely, are you? Ed explains it the first time he mentions Tom Petty. ;)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Not for bands only....my hubby and I stayed there for the PJ shows in 2006 (booked the room the day the show was announced by 10C, which was odd...it was suprisingly easy to do, which was odder. Yeah, the band was there, but we left them alone. It was too hot to bother them anyway...
    was it pricey? what's the name of the hotel?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    oktacoma wrote:
    This I do not believe at all.

me neither.
    tacos
  • JboogieJboogie Posts: 34
    mozetti wrote:
    Not listening too closely, are you? Ed explains it the first time he mentions Tom Petty. ;)

I was listening to it at work so with a few distractions I didn't catch the 1st comment.
  • skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    Here is the Cave B Inn:

http://www.sagecliffe.com/Inn.htm

It is expensive, never stayed there so could not tell ya if its worth the price
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    skinnypig wrote:
    Here is the Cave B Inn:

http://www.sagecliffe.com/Inn.htm

It is expensive, never stayed there so could not tell ya if its worth the price

I had seen this hotel's website before, though I don't think its that pricey actually taking that the views and just the place is breathtaking!

I wouldn't pay $235+ for a room when I got on vacation but I would definately splurge for one night at that beautiful place :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Yeah, we paid a bundle all right...the setting is great - I mean the view is nothing short of spectacular! But I would pay that again if PJ was playing at the Gorge because it turns out that we were not all that great at the camping thing...

The Winery itself was OK. We went to the wine tasting and the guy hosting it got all mad at us because Ed "chugged" an entire bottle of red wine and that's not how you're supposed to drink wine. "You tell him!" he shouted. Yeah, we're not with the band...and it was gatorade in a wine bottle...are you pissed because it wasn't your wine, which isn't that great, actually? Whatever. I bought a t-shirt...and just had to laugh at the guy. It was apparent that he was unknowledgeable about many things about wine...he was also afraid that the terrorists were going to blow up Quincy because of all the data farms that were going to be built in the area. Lots of rolly eyes on our part...

But overall...it was a great place, the staff at the hotel were just the nicest and there were huge pitchers of watermelon or cucumber infused ice cold water in the lobby!!! And we had our own entrance to the Gorge...No sign of Tom Petty, except maybe all the red wine stains in the carpet in our room (the older part of the hotel)!! It certainly wasn't the best room we've ever stayed in (and there are places much nice and much cheaper), but its the only out there...and location is everything!

And we'd just sold our house, which was the only reason we could afford it...
    be philanthropic
  • I didn't believe that my friend was next to Tom either, but when I saw a picture of him with my friend I was shocked. Personally, I still find it hard to believe but when I actually saw the picture I was a believer. Pretty cool I think.
  • SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    Great show and a great Tom memory.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I had no idea Tom Petty was in the audience.  I was row 13 dead centre (so fairly close).  You'd think me (or anyone around) would of picked up on it :(

Luckily I saw him Perform 2 night later at the Gorge.. so everytime I listen to the bootleg not only does it remind of my favourite pj show ever, but it reminds of those crazy few days driving to the gorge for pj, back to vancouver for pj and then back to the gorge for Tom Petty.