The Food Thread

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Not a fan of broccoli rabe on my roast pork, or of broccoli rabe at all really. Spinach all day, but I can't do the rabe.

The 50/50 and The Mensch - both really good sandwiches there as well.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Not a fan of broccoli rabe on my roast pork, or of broccoli rabe at all really. Spinach all day, but I can't do the rabe.

The rabe has to be paired with that good sharp cheese.
    The pork was excellent but the pork sammy was....kinda dry.  What I love about DaNic's or Tony Luke's is that you get the juice all in the bread. 

50/50 and Mensch both looked awesome.  Take on the steak looks interesting & the Buffalo Cauliflower?  Gotta try that.
    Sucker for friend pickles as well...and we did a mixed bag of fries and onions on Saturday.  The onions were really addictive.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

Fired up a triple layer pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce and chopped pecans over the weekend. 
    Did you make that?  Looks amazing....nice job!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Fired up a triple layer pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce and chopped pecans over the weekend. 
    Did you make that?  Looks amazing....nice job!
    Thanks!  Yep, all from scratch!  It tastes as good as it looks, too.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

The pork was excellent but the pork sammy was....kinda dry.  What I love about DaNic's or Tony Luke's is that you get the juice all in the bread. 

50/50 and Mensch both looked awesome.  Take on the steak looks interesting & the Buffalo Cauliflower?  Gotta try that.
    Sucker for friend pickles as well...and we did a mixed bag of fries and onions on Saturday.  The onions were really addictive.
    I like Rabe.  I never had it until I moved to Philly, but I do like it.  Definitely gotta go with sharp provolone though.  

Jake's certainly isn't on the same level as DiNic's, but it has some damn good sandwiches.  Haven't been in a while since I changed jobs and moved about 7 blocks west.

I like Rabe.  I never had it until I moved to Philly, but I do like it.  Definitely gotta go with sharp provolone though.  

Jake's certainly isn't on the same level as DiNic's, but it has some damn good sandwiches.  Haven't been in a while since I changed jobs and moved about 7 blocks west.
    it's too bitter and I personally think it adds nothing to the sandwich. And a roast pork sandwich should never not have sharp provolone, and probably roasted red peppers too. John's Roast Pork-style all day - garlic spinach steeped in the jous.

it's too bitter and I personally think it adds nothing to the sandwich. And a roast pork sandwich should never not have sharp provolone, and probably roasted red peppers too. John's Roast Pork-style all day - garlic spinach steeped in the jous.
    I am somewhat indifferent on spinach vs. rabe. I could go either way and enjoy both.  The lines at John's these days are just out of control.
    There have been times when I had it and felt it was too bitter...and times where it balanced nicely.
    I love spinach & garlic so need to give that a whirl.
    Have not tried John's yet.  So many places to eat lardo sandwiches in Philly at -- slowly working my way through them.  If I lived within walking distance of any of these I would weigh 20 pounds more than I do. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I am a fan of broccolini, charred with plenty of garlic.

Spinach?  Same - or creamed, a la Lawry's.  Good god, that is on my ultimate comfort food list.

(as is green bean casserole =) )

That cake is quite impressive!
    GBC!  ;)
    Lawry's....drool!
    Made a ghost pepper hot sauce yesterday.  Had about 8 or so peppers still.  Roasted them for a half hour with garlic.  Popped them in a blender into a paste.  Then brought to a boil with white vinegar, black vinegar, soy sauce and some honey.  

Pretty pretty good and pretty pretty hot.  

Going to pop some on some leftover red beans and rice tonight, while likely catching up on Hot Ones.  Oh yeah.
    Made a ghost pepper hot sauce yesterday.  Had about 8 or so peppers still.  Roasted them for a half hour with garlic.  Popped them in a blender into a paste.  Then brought to a boil with white vinegar, black vinegar, soy sauce and some honey.  

Going to pop some on some leftover red beans and rice tonight, while likely catching up on Hot Ones.  Oh yeah.
    Do you share a bathroom with your wife?
    ;)

;)
    hhahah. I do, though hot food doesn't hurt me too bad just yet.  

;)
    Sounds fortunate for the both of you.

;)
    Indeed.  Though she likes spicy food even more than I do and has a stomach of steel
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

;)
    Give it time :sunglasses:

(still worth it, though!)

;)
    Indeed.  Though she likes spicy food even more than I do and has a stomach of steel
    I hope that doesn't change post-delivery.  (For my wife, it did.)
    hedonist said:

;)
    Give it time :sunglasses:

(still worth it, though!)
    Oh it's coming, I know.

;)
    Ugh. Didn't even think about this.

;)
    Wife went for a run on Saturday. Post- about 8 weeks now....yeah....not good. Though I'm sure Trump could put it in his collection of pee tapes.

On a related note - I think I just let out wayyyy too much information about my wife than I believe she'd be OK with...
    :rofl:
  • Made a ghost pepper hot sauce yesterday.  Had about 8 or so peppers still.  Roasted them for a half hour with garlic.  Popped them in a blender into a paste.  Then brought to a boil with white vinegar, black vinegar, soy sauce and some honey.  

;)
    Wife went for a run on Saturday. Post- about 8 weeks now....yeah....not good. Though I'm sure Trump could put it in his collection of pee tapes.

On a related note - I think I just let out wayyyy too much information about my wife than I believe she'd be OK with...
    Shit just got real!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Looking forward to lunch 

chinese-happy.jpg
    Looking forward to lunch 

Not too shabby at all.  Gonna get down with a good sandwich myself here.
    What is on that sammie?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    What is on that sammie?
    Soylent Green
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cincinnati Chili 5 ways and then chili dogs leftover.
    Delicious fucking food right there!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    dankind said:
    What is on that sammie?
    Soylent Green
    Soylent Green is people!

I love chili.  (NOT made from people)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    What is on that sammie?

Well, sir......we have:

Boars head blackened turkey, pepper salami, sharp provolone.....roaster peppers, onions, pickles, yellow mustard, pepper, oregano on  jewish rye bread. It's a Juggler go-to on brown baggin' it days.

And nobody better give me any shit for the yellow mustard either.

chinese-happy.jpg
    I prefer yellow mustard to the others. 
    Sounds like a good lunch!