The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I tried frying my own corn tortilla chips for a nacho dinner...
    Wow!  So easy and so good, I may never buy chips again!
    It's a revelation, like back in college when I bought a block of good cheese and shredded it myself and never went back to shredded bagged cheese.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Never done that.
    Tried making my own tortillas a few times and wasn't happy with the outcome.  They weren't bad but weren't good, either.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    rgambs said:
    I tried frying my own corn tortilla chips for a nacho dinner...
    Wow!  So easy and so good, I may never buy chips again!
    It's a revelation, like back in college when I bought a block of good cheese and shredded it myself and never went back to shredded bagged cheese.
    Yes!!!! Love that you did this. Amazing right? Solid crowd sourcing here.
    I owe you a debt of gratitude cliff! Delicious and easy, a total no brainer that I had never brained.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    Placed a pre-order for a bottle of Hot Ones "The Last Dab" hot sauce today.  Hoping to have it around Christmas.  This stuff hits around 2.5 million SHU!

https://youtu.be/-zCYX0esYlo
    Yum!!
    My favorite hot sauce in the world is Matouk's (It's a West Indian product). They have different hotness levels (the hottest is fucking HOT - of course, it's from India - their idea of hot is superior to the North American concept, haha). I get it at the Great Canadian Superstore, but you can get it online too. The thing that makes this brand so good is that it's not just hotness. It has an extra subtle quality behind that heat that other kinds of hot sauces don't have. It's just plain old more flavourful than any other hot sauce I've ever tried.

I’ll have to check them out. I usually have about 4 or 5 bottles of hot sauce in the fridge at any given time.

I gotta admit though, The Last Dab scares me a little. This video of Hot Ones superfan Brett Baker giving it a try looks painful.  Watch 1:20-1:30 specifically. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IYQBuPoDtU

As rgambs mentioned, 2.5 million Scoville can fuck you up. That's equivalent to commercial grade pepper spray.  And while I have eaten wings made with pepper spray, they were diluted down to about 850k - 1.25mil.  And they were painful!  Maybe I'll do my own tasting video... with a toothpick, lol.

I have gently touched my tongue to the inside of a fresh Carolina Reaper, and it was no fun.
    It burned intensely for about an hour, at which point it lost sensation and taste for a few more hours before returning to normal.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Thanksgiving coming up - I have made a tradition of frying the bird now. And it's worth every goddamn second of the shitty cleanup.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Thanksgiving coming up - I have made a tradition of frying the bird now. And it's worth every goddamn second of the shitty cleanup.
    You and your food projects. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    You should see the bacon paper mache I'm working on.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I am headed to VT to see my family for Bird-day.  I thought about getting what is needed & frying the bird.
    Decided against it for a number of reasons but this is still something I want to try.
    I am headed to VT to see my family for Bird-day.  I thought about getting what is needed & frying the bird.
    Decided against it for a number of reasons but this is still something I want to try.
    Thanksgiving in VT sounds great. Yeah, it's definitely a project, as stated above. Gotta get a propane burner, propane tank, big pot, 5 gallons of peanut oil (which you'll then have to clean out), the bird, thing to dip it in and out of the oil, thermometer, and do it outside with plenty of room 'cause that chance of fire is no joke. But I'm now convinced it's worth it since it's my contribution to the dinner, and I'm only doing it once a year.
    dankind said:
    Don’t forget to put a bird on it.

https://youtu.be/-H_ZnC203Wo

I SAW PEARL JAM
    PJ_Soul said:
    Placed a pre-order for a bottle of Hot Ones "The Last Dab" hot sauce today.  Hoping to have it around Christmas.  This stuff hits around 2.5 million SHU!

https://youtu.be/-zCYX0esYlo
    Yum!!
    My favorite hot sauce in the world is Matouk's (It's a West Indian product). They have different hotness levels (the hottest is fucking HOT - of course, it's from India - their idea of hot is superior to the North American concept, haha). I get it at the Great Canadian Superstore, but you can get it online too. The thing that makes this brand so good is that it's not just hotness. It has an extra subtle quality behind that heat that other kinds of hot sauces don't have. It's just plain old more flavourful than any other hot sauce I've ever tried.

I’ll have to check them out. I usually have about 4 or 5 bottles of hot sauce in the fridge at any given time.

I gotta admit though, The Last Dab scares me a little. This video of Hot Ones superfan Brett Baker giving it a try looks painful.  Watch 1:20-1:30 specifically. 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IYQBuPoDtU

As rgambs mentioned, 2.5 million Scoville can fuck you up. That's equivalent to commercial grade pepper spray.  And while I have eaten wings made with pepper spray, they were diluted down to about 850k - 1.25mil.  And they were painful!  Maybe I'll do my own tasting video... with a toothpick, lol.

Dude, I love hot ones and have been watching since the beginning.  Definitely gonna get my hands on that hot sauce at some point. Gotta support my boy, Sean Evans.
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Don’t forget to put a bird on it.

https://youtu.be/-H_ZnC203Wo

We can pickle that.
    F Me, do you ever go to VT in the summer--you know, like a sane person?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Almost never.  T-G and XMas.  Occasionally at other times but probably 3-4 times in the past 24 hours since I moved away.

Hot Ones is great stuff.
    So you probably never get to experience the goodness that is Rainbow Sweets, considering that the pastry artist/chef closes up shop and goes to France every winter.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    We had family friends that lived in Marshfield, so I actually know of what you speak. 
    Not in years and years, though.
    Marshfield was where we did our deer hunting.  Some fucking tasty venison came from that place.
    Deer Sausage
    Steaks
    Liver
    Heart
    Burger
    So good...

I once microwaved a small venison steak for one minute and ate it.  Best fucking deer steak I ever had.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Going sausage and peppers tonight with yellow onions.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited November 2017
    We had family friends that lived in Marshfield, so I actually know of what you speak. 
    Not in years and years, though.
    Marshfield was where we did our deer hunting.  Some fucking tasty venison came from that place.
    Deer Sausage
    Steaks
    Liver
    Heart
    Burger
    So good...

I once microwaved a small venison steak for one minute and ate it.  Best fucking deer steak I ever had.
    Hmmmm.  Got some sausage from a buddy last year.  Had it in the morning with poached eggs and some good toast. 

Love me some heart.  Last Giants' Super Bowl had deer heart "stuffed" with elk sausage.  Fucking amazing.  One of the most legit parties I have been too. Outdoors, rigged with massive TVs. tons of awesome beer in snow mounds. Amazing food from a bunch of hunters Giants super bowl champs.  Insane firework show at half time too.  Went well into the 2nd half starting
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    That sounds good!
    Went to VT one year for Super Bowl and emptied the freezer of game since my mom wouldn't eat it and my dad loved it but had just recently died, so he wasn't gonna eat it.  We got shitfaced and ate elk, moose, and deer.  Was great stuff.
    Saints won that year, I think?
    Fresh mozzarella with prosciutto and tomato. 

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Toss a couple basil leaves on the tomatoes and yum!  Even without.  Looks delicious.
    hedonist said:
    Toss a couple basil leaves on the tomatoes and yum!  Even without.  Looks delicious.
    Oh yeah they are going on next along with evoo.
    Alright alright. So we had a piece of pork that needed to be cooked so the wife put it in the crock pot yesterday. Real basic. Rosemary, rhyme, stock kind of thing. Didn't even get to it yesterday, so today making red beans and rice and gonna pull the pork and mix it in there with it. I am basically an old black lady when it comes to red beans and rice so it's gonna be sooooo fucking good.

Good RB &R is so good.
    edited November 2017
    recommended by @Jearlpam0925
    Holy Shitballs this was good.
    From their site:
    Philadelphia's Holiday Sandwich. Slow-roasted turkey, duck, chicken, and sausage with cranberry-apple spread and topped with savory brown gravy and crispy hash browns.

Wife got a roast pork.  Also very good, although not on the same level as the same 'which prepared elsewhere in the city.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    recommended by @Jearlpam0925
    Holy Shitballs this was good.
    From their site:
    Philadelphia's Holiday Sandwich. Slow-roasted turkey, duck, chicken, and sausage with cranberry-apple spread and topped with savory brown gravy and crispy hash browns.

That’s a Thornton Melon sandwich, right there. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Back 2 school?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Fired up a triple layer pumpkin cheesecake with caramel sauce and chopped pecans over the weekend.