Saying goodbye to my Pop. Rest in peace.

Comments

• Sorry for your loss, Brian.   I don't get on here much anymore, but this caught my eye.  You're a good dude.   Thanks for all your help with my Sanders questions last year.   Hang in there.  Take care.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Very sorry for your loss Brian. You and your family are in my thoughts.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Thanks so much my friends.    You guys really are the best. 
    Love to you all,
    Brian
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Sorry for your loss.  Just remember he lives on in you and he really is never far away :hug:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Brian, I have no idea what to say. All these lovely comments before me. Sounds like you hit the jackpot for parents. Did he have a fav PJ song? I'm sorry for your loss and know you'll continue to honor him as you are know. Good man. RIP. 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    edited November 2017
    Sprunkn7 said:
    Sorry for your loss.  Just remember he lives on in you and he really is never far away :hug:
    Thank you so much.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Brian, I have no idea what to say. All these lovely comments before me. Sounds like you hit the jackpot for parents. Did he have a fav PJ song? I'm sorry for your loss and know you'll continue to honor him as you are know. Good man. RIP. 
    Thank you FLA.  Pop was a G.I. generation man (it struck me how few of them there are now and one less as of Sunday) so definitely more a Glenn Miller era fan than PJ. 

I thought about what Pearl Jam song fit him the most and it's a toss up between "Better Man" (yes, hard to find a better man) and, because he wished almost more than anything he could fly so, "Given to Fly". 

My Mom was a bit more into contemporary music.  In fact, one weekend while I was recovering from hernia surgery she sat down with me and watched the Neil Young and Crazy Horse "The Complex Sessions" DVD with me and dug it.  I played my acoustic guitar version of "My Heart" at her memorial. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    My condolences Brian 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Sorry for your loss Brian.. I lost my father when I was 20 but we always felt better telling stories.  If you ever feel up to it, I'm sure we'd all love to hear more about him someday.  

My condolences Brian 

mrussel1 said:
    Sorry for your loss Brian.. I lost my father when I was 20 but we always felt better telling stories.  If you ever feel up to it, I'm sure we'd all love to hear more about him someday.  
    Thank you, guys.

Yes, M., stories are great.  My sister just forwarded the following story to me.  One of Pop's big projects with Unites Air Lines was working on specs for the Boeing 747 during its  development up in Seattle (he made many a trip up there to work with Boeing).   As the article pointed out, today marked "the final time that the airline [United] will use the massive jetliner for commercial travel."  My sister told me she figured somehow Pop made it (figuratively speaking) on the last flight to be with our mom in paradise.  Pretty sweet.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Final-Flight-United-Airlines-747-Aircraft-455899543.html

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    That is cool.. I didn't realize they were retiring the big sonsuvbitches.  
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    You have my deepest condolences, Brian, and a partner in grieving.  I lost my mom at the age of 90 on September 23.  That orphan feeling is hard.  I'm here if you need to talk.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    You have my deepest condolences, Brian, and a partner in grieving.  I lost my mom at the age of 90 on September 23.  That orphan feeling is hard.  I'm here if you need to talk.
    Thank you W.P. and thoughts go out to you with the loss of your mom. Yes, it's strange to think of myself as an orphan and to feel that as reality.  I had no idea it was so hard.  I told my sister it was like being unmoored and she said, "Yeah, that's the feeling".  It's a hard part of life- I hope I learn from it well.

Thanks for good supportive words, Who. 

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Your a legend Brian. Love to you in these moments of grieving. 
    I lost my beautiful granny august 26. 
    Ive come to the belief though that death doesn't truly exist in how our human minds perceive. 
    No matter what i love ya 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Brian, my deepest condolences to you. PM if you need to chat.
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Sending healing thoughts to you. It's a deep journey to take especially when you are so close. My Dad went 6 years ago in January and I still talk to him but I miss hearing his voice and his sense of humor.  Take care and I hope you can still feel his presence at times. He sounds like a great Pop.
    Shyner said:
    Your a legend Brian. Love to you in these moments of grieving. 
    I lost my beautiful granny august 26. 
    Ive come to the belief though that death doesn't truly exist in how our human minds perceive. 
    No matter what i love ya 
    Thank you Shyner.  I'm sorry to hear about your grandma.  Thanks for the love.
    Brian, my deepest condolences to you. PM if you need to chat.
    Thanks so much, stuckinline.  Very much appreciated.
    camsjam said:
    Sending healing thoughts to you. It's a deep journey to take especially when you are so close. My Dad went 6 years ago in January and I still talk to him but I miss hearing his voice and his sense of humor.  Take care and I hope you can still feel his presence at times. He sounds like a great Pop.
    Thank you so much, cams.  I'm sorry you lost your dad as well.  I'll bet he was as great a guy as you are.

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    B, goodbye for now. Xoxo

Thanks for sharing about him. My feet belong on the ground so I cannot enjoy his enthusiasm. All these beautiful memories you have. :heart:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    B, goodbye for now. Xoxo

Thanks for sharing about him. My feet belong on the ground so I cannot enjoy his enthusiasm. All these beautiful memories you have. :heart:
    I'm a feet-on-the-ground kind of person myself.  The first flight my Pop ever took me on was in a DC-7.  We flew through a thunder storm, lightning hitting all around the plane, shaking and bouncing like crazy and one of the engines had fire coming out of it.  Pop sat there calmly reading his book and told me not to worry, everything was under control.  He went for test flights on jet airliners that cut their engines to test drop rate.  He said it was fun!  Nerves of steel!

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Your father sounds like an incredible man!  Sorry for your loss!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    Your story made me smile.  The only time I remember being scared on a plane I was flying home with Dad after a visit to his parents. I think Iwas around 11yrs old.  About 2 minutes after takeoff from Denver there was a really loud bump and then a strong smell of something burning.  I grabbed my Dad's hand and must have looked scared so he kept saying it will be okay. The pilot announced that a large bird had been sucked into the right engine and to be safe we were returning to Denver to have it looked at.  When we finally  arrived about 2 hours late Mom was at the gate to meet us looking really worried. The gate agent told her what happened and that the flight was on the way but they were glad to confirm that the aircraft could still fly with just one engine.
    Your father sounds like an incredible man!  Sorry for your loss!
    Thank you Wil.

camsjam said:
    Your story made me smile.  The only time I remember being scared on a plane I was flying home with Dad after a visit to his parents. I think Iwas around 11yrs old.  About 2 minutes after takeoff from Denver there was a really loud bump and then a strong smell of something burning.  I grabbed my Dad's hand and must have looked scared so he kept saying it will be okay. The pilot announced that a large bird had been sucked into the right engine and to be safe we were returning to Denver to have it looked at.  When we finally  arrived about 2 hours late Mom was at the gate to meet us looking really worried. The gate agent told her what happened and that the flight was on the way but they were glad to confirm that the aircraft could still fly with just one engine.
    Sounds like a scary experience, cams!  I'm glad you got through it OK!

• chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    good men those WWII guys. i'm sorry, buddy.    
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:
    good men those WWII guys. i'm sorry, buddy.    
    Thank you my friend.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    There are no words that truly convey what it's like to lose someone you love and likewise, none that can express the deep and heartfelt feelings of condolence. I can't imagine or even begin to understand what you must be going through, but I wish you peace, clarity and contentment. 

Thank you for sharing the beautiful memories of your father. I hope that someday my children will reflect upon our relationship with the same joy, happiness and appreciation.

As others have stated, take care of yourself Bri. Believe and trust that your father continues to live through you and those who love him.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Brian, I've never met you're Pops but and he is the greatest and a great guy.  Much love .... 
    tbergs said:
    There are no words that truly convey what it's like to lose someone you love and likewise, none that can express the deep and heartfelt feelings of condolence. I can't imagine or even begin to understand what you must be going through, but I wish you peace, clarity and contentment. 

Thank you for sharing the beautiful memories of your father. I hope that someday my children will reflect upon our relationship with the same joy, happiness and appreciation.

As others have stated, take care of yourself Bri. Believe and trust that your father continues to live through you and those who love him.
    Thanks so much, t, for good, kind words.

Your kids are very lucky and I have no doubt they feel that way.  For sure.

Jason P said:
    Brian, I've never met you're Pops but and he is the greatest and a great guy.  Much love .... 
    Thank you Jason.  He would dig that coming from you!

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    So sorry for your loss......wishing you peace and strength.
  • Very sorry for your loss, Brian. My thoughts are with you and your family. Your Pop sounds like a remarkable man.

JOEJOEJOE said:
    So sorry for your loss......wishing you peace and strength.
    Thank you Joe. 

Very sorry for your loss, Brian. My thoughts are with you and your family. Your Pop sounds like a remarkable man.

Thank you, Asterisk.

Much thanks to all.  Love you guys.

• Very sorry to hear, Brian.  Sounds like he was a great man and you're the proof.   Keep passing his strength and compassion along, and you'll continue his deserved legacy long after he's passed.   And stay true to his wishes and "have fun!" (How cool)
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.