EV Citi Sound Vault

Comments

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited November 2017
    I also remember the song called Not For You.
    Wasn't that all about corporations filling your mailbox with junk mail full of credit card applications, ads and coupons that end up all over your kitchen table and there's no place to sit? .
    If you hate something, don't you do it too? to... That's a good question.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    PB11041 said:
    RYME said:
    I am genuinely interested. What are the more ample things to criticize the band about that have more nuanced then I want to believe or willing to accept?? What the hell does that mean?
    You can't even seem to acknowledge that he was playing at a concert series that is designed for the cardholders who pay for a certain tier of access to Live Nation events and you want me to explain nuance?   What it means is, everything is not cold hard black and white.
    Corporation puts on private concer for its major customers.  Seems like a corporate event to me.  Which is fine.   
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    RYME said:
    I also remember the song called Not For You.
    Wasn't that all about corporations filling your mailbox with junk mail full of credit card applications, ads and coupons that end up all over your kitchen table and there's no place to sit? .
    If you hate something, don't you do it too? to... That's a good question.
    No. That is not even remotely what the song Not For You was about. No.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    I'm willing to give my guy for over 27 years now the benefit of the doubt. Knowing him, he turns it around and uses things for charitable purposes
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    It is weird to see bands do corporate gigs, however, it does create a payday for a band's crew.
    In terms of EV, he may give the money to charity......who knows!
    PB11041 said:
    RYME said:
    I am genuinely interested. What are the more ample things to criticize the band about that have more nuanced then I want to believe or willing to accept?? What the hell does that mean?
    You can't even seem to acknowledge that he was playing at a concert series that is designed for the cardholders who pay for a certain tier of access to Live Nation events and you want me to explain nuance?   What it means is, everything is not cold hard black and white.
    Corporation puts on private concer for its major customers.  Seems like a corporate event to me.  Which is fine.   
    https://www.livenation.com/events/704299-sep-18-2017-citi-sound-vault-mumford-sons
    https://pitchfork.com/features/sponsor-content/10019-live-from-citi-sound-vault/
    https://twitter.com/CitiPrivatePass

Willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that Vedders was involved with something similar to Global Citizens as what occurred in New York in September.  Either way, this is basically commonplace for every artist on the planet.

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    I'm willing to give my guy for over 27 years now the benefit of the doubt. Knowing him, he turns it around and uses things for charitable purposes
    Exactly. Don't understand the frustration frankly. They pay Ed handsomely with no strings attached, Ed dictates where the funds are donated on his terms, Ed receives tax receipt, year's worth of income tax sorted. Done and done.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • As usual...I'm just pissed I wasn't there.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
    As usual...I'm just pissed I wasn't there.
    Laughter and applause.

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    100 Pacer said:
    Exactly. Don't understand the frustration frankly. They pay Ed handsomely with no strings attached, Ed dictates where the funds are donated on his terms, Ed receives tax receipt, year's worth of income tax sorted. Done and done.
    I agree. They've earned our trust and we still see how much charitable work they do. Short of playing for Trump, they can do what they want.

Regarding your tax note, that's not how the charitable deduction works here (if I'm understanding your "sorted" idea correctly). You only get a deduction for the amount donated, not a tax credit.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    you guys.......I'm just jealous I wasn't invited......
  • you guys.......I'm just jealous I wasn't invited......
    Hey...that is what I said (pretty much) two posts up....copy catter... =)
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    I didn't hear anything about this and I live in the Bay Area. Sucks! The Chapel is very intimate. I got to see Charles Bradley there and it was pretty damn sweet.

1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Eddie Vedder: Presented by Goldman Sachs

lol

• nalyd61nalyd61 Boston Posts: 698
    keep clicking hoping for a review or set list. 

People Change. If Ed was the same guy he was back in the day/bashing the corporate sponsors there is a decent chance PJ would not be a current touring band.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    100 Pacer said:
    I highly doubt that the one performance offsets a years worth of tax, but I am on the same page as both of you. Have some faith in the man.
  • seems like a decent idea to me if you take advantage of the situation.  Maybe a little political talk about gun control or health insurance or women's rights etc with powerful movers and shakers right there in the room?  Don't know if it did happen or if it would change anybodies mind but the opportunity is there.  plus a little money to donate to a charity.  seems alright to me.
    I love watching the fanboys gets riled up when someone dare have any critique of Ed or the band... i'm cool with it as long as it pays for more Skate parks, which I think is the coolest thing they do... or any other cause they support... or help pay and maintain full time staff... I'm all good... just don't lecture from the stage about corporate greed/sponsorship, that ship defintely sails once you're on the Citi payroll homeslice , so feel free to play another B-Side, I won't complain. 

I guess it's better than telling corporate lobbyists in 2010 Bristow to go kill themselves... thought that was a little over the top 

Not to mention their ticket prices are still great, so if doing this helps maintain that, seems like a good thing for all of us
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    my2hands said:
    I love watching the fanboys gets riled up when someone dare have any critique of Ed or the band... i'm cool with it as long as it pays for more Skate parks, which I think is the coolest thing they do... or any other cause they support... or help pay and maintain full time staff... I'm all good... just don't lecture from the stage about corporate greed/sponsorship, that ship defintely sails once you're on the Citi payroll homeslice , so feel free to play another B-Side, I won't complain. 

I guess it's better than telling corporate lobbyists in 2010 Bristow to go kill themselves... thought that was a little over the top 

Not to mention their ticket prices are still great, so if doing this helps maintain that, seems like a good thing for all of us
    Agreed.
    That ship actually sailed when they played the Oracle conference, lol. I think they felt like maybe playing Green Disease at it and gave the massive payout to charity (supposedly) offset the fact that they were playing a private Oracle party, but no. Didn't work. :lol:;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    edited November 2017
    Time keeps moving, people get older, people mature, circumstances change, views change, wisdom is gained. It's all part of life. If you're just in it for the music it's so much easier to not care what events they play and whose hand they shook.
    Post edited by bflynn1 on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I don’t get the old argument of how they used to be “anti-this” or “anti-that.” That was years ago, people. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    My god the man played a two hour show, let it go. At least he is out playing live.
     And I bet my life savings that you who criticize ed for playing this "corporate" event would be the first psycho fans to line up four days in advance for the chance to get tickets. (Especially if it was ga, because fuck seniority lol)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    No issue here.  Take the cash and play for music fans.  Everyone thought Oracle World was 20,000 millionaires.  Maybe like 50 and the rest were folks who sit in cubicles all day.  This was hardly different 

He’s not playing for the Royal Family here 
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.
    That ship actually sailed when they played the Oracle conference, lol. I think they felt like maybe playing Green Disease at it and gave the massive payout to charity (supposedly) offset the fact that they were playing a private Oracle party, but no. Didn't work. :lol:;)
    The ship sailed when Verizon sponsored the 2008 tour
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.
    I don't recall verizon sponsoring the 2008 tour. refresh my memory.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.
    http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=40973

PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Agreed.
    http://top40-charts.com/news.php?nid=40973

I don't know if I d call that a sponsorship for the tour but rather boots were first released to Verizon members. 
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,743
    edited November 2017
    bflynn1 said:
    Time keeps moving, people get older, people mature, circumstances change, views change, wisdom is gained. It's all part of life. If you're just in it for the music it's so much easier to not care what events they play and whose hand they shook.
    Exactly. Hillary Clinton was a Young Republican in college. As they say in Big Fish: “people see things differently at different times of their lives” 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314