Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

there is no time to hate
    get over it

I despise rudeness / inconsideration on an individual level - the "I Me Mine" mentality.

En masse?

Fuck me!

Puscifer, at a similarly intimate venue, banned phone use (but not bringing in the actual phone) at the show we went to. Sort of like operating on the honor system, and the majority of the people there respected it.

Aside from the chick near us who puked from a bad mushroom trip, it was one of my most memorable musical experiences.

How difficult is it to realize it's not just about YOU?

You know, we're living in a society! - G. Costanza

• Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    edited October 2016
    I think a few snaps here and there are alright; videos are fine too... BUT if you're going to record a whole song or the whole show, put your camera in front of your own face and not mine. I tend to tolerate a few snaps and a few seconds of filming because it might be a very special night for that person, e.g. 1st show, only chance, terminal disease, or whatever the case may be. You never know what that person is going through, but once it gets too much, I respectfully say something. The few times people gave me lip, I flag a show attendant and tell, I don't really have time to deal with an offender's bitch ass. So far attendants have always succeeded because in most cases, technically, it is illegal to record a show and people are usually scared to get booted out by attendant. Don't gimme no lip.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/11/06/over-60-people-tossed-from-a-perfect-circle-show-in-reading-pa-for-violating-no-photos-policy/

I was at this show.  i didn't see anyone get thrown out, did see one security guard tell a lady to turn off her phone after she took a picture.  Although this was during the opening band.  I was afraid to even look at my phone during APC. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/11/06/over-60-people-tossed-from-a-perfect-circle-show-in-reading-pa-for-violating-no-photos-policy/

I was at this show.  i didn't see anyone get thrown out, did see one security guard tell a lady to turn off her phone after she took a picture.  Although this was during the opening band.  I was afraid to even look at my phone during APC. 

Love the policy! Maynard doesn't fuck around does he...
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    I only take pictures at the beginning or end of shows.  I miss the days when there were no phones out and could enjoy the show without a flash from a camera.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774

Fuck Maynard for this bullshit. Let me state I HATE the over use of cellphones at shows but honestly? You can’t ban them. Jack White encourages it which is great but to eject people with no warning is ridiculous. I saw about 20 people thrown out of the perfect circle at Barclays show.  It was way more distracting to see over zealous security pouncing on people, mostly small women , 5-7 deep at a time and throwing them out. It ruined the show for me and not because I wanted to take videos. I haven’t taken a video at a show in years. 
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    This is the world we live in.  You're told how it's going to go down, told to abide by something (that's pretty reasonable btw) or suffer the consequences, you still do it, then get mad why you're getting kicked out and call the artist and security a bunch of dicks.  There are signs everywhere and it's on every big-ass screen.  It's like jaywalking and losing your shit because you got cited.  When do you just hold someone accountable and say, well, that person is pretty stupid to still pull his/her phone out after that many warnings that literally tells you, you're getting thrown out.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Ryan Adams has a crew member make an announcement before each show- please turn off your flashes. They even tell people to take a test shot before the show starts to ensure the flashes are off. Now, they attribute this to Ryan's eye issues with bright lights but you don't get those idiots in the back using their flashes. 

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    nicknyr15 said:

Fuck Maynard for this bullshit. Let me state I HATE the over use of cellphones at shows but honestly? You can’t ban them. Jack White encourages it which is great but to eject people with no warning is ridiculous. I saw about 20 people thrown out of the perfect circle at Barclays show.  It was way more distracting to see over zealous security pouncing on people, mostly small women , 5-7 deep at a time and throwing them out. It ruined the show for me and not because I wanted to take videos. I haven’t taken a video at a show in years. 
    When I saw APC last week, there were signs everywhere warning people they could be ejected for using their phones for pics and video. Literally everywhere.  Email I got before the show from Ticketmaster, Doors walking in, at the entrance to the seats, every other seat on the floor had a sign taped to the back. Even then, all I saw was security tell people put their phones away. 

And it was great being able to watch the show through my own eyes in stead of someones cell phone in front of me. I don't mind people taking pics and I dod from time to time, but holding your phone up in front of people for two straight hours gets old after a while.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Recently saw LCD SOundsystem at Brooklyn Steel and they also had a No Cameras policy which for the most part people listened to.

Something I found weird was at the 2nd show the crew handed out the setlists from the stage but at the 5th show the crew says that they couldn't hand them out because the names of the new songs were on there?

WTF?!?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

When I saw APC last week, there were signs everywhere warning people they could be ejected for using their phones for pics and video. Literally everywhere.  Email I got before the show from Ticketmaster, Doors walking in, at the entrance to the seats, every other seat on the floor had a sign taped to the back. Even then, all I saw was security tell people put their phones away. 

And it was great being able to watch the show through my own eyes in stead of someones cell phone in front of me. I don't mind people taking pics and I dod from time to time, but holding your phone up in front of people for two straight hours gets old after a while.
    nicknyr15 said:

I’m not saying it wasn’t clearly stated I just find it extremely ridiculous to throw people out of an arena gig for using a phone in 2017. The security flashing their lights and running around like they were stopping a fight every 5 minutes was way more distracting than cell phones. Maynard needs to get over himself. 
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    This is the world we live in.  You're told how it's going to go down, told to abide by something (that's pretty reasonable btw) or suffer the consequences, you still do it, then get mad why you're getting kicked out and call the artist and security a bunch of dicks.  There are signs everywhere and it's on every big-ass screen.  It's like jaywalking and losing your shit because you got cited.  When do you just hold someone accountable and say, well, that person is pretty stupid to still pull his/her phone out after that many warnings that literally tells you, you're getting thrown out.
    nicknyr15 said:

Is it weird that I agree with BOTH of these people and they're taking different stances. 

Sometimes the enforcement is way worse than the offense but in the end it comes down to the individual thinking only they matter and rules don't apply to them. I went to a phish show at msg this summer and for once they finally kept the aisles clear. I despise the aisle dwellers but it was at the cost of security constantly going up and down with flashlights on the one person every 5 minutes that thought they were slick and discovered a new spot(even after 13 shows when it was clear the policy had been set, there was always multiple idiots)

I liked what dave Chappelle did at radio city, you got a pouch and it was sealed until you left. It didn't take too much time either way on the way in or out.  But if you're a parent out on a date you do stress it a little if you want to check in with the sitter. You can go to the unlocking zone but that requires leaving the performance. 

If people would just just chill and take a quick pick here or there. OR like taper sections at Jam band shows have a cellphone section where people can just go nuts. But people are too obsessed with showing off on Facebook and they spend all show on their phone and now we have extreme rules
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    On paper the cell phone ban sounds good. When enforced at an arena concert it came off as obnoxious. And granted it could have been how Barclays security was acting as well. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amen!

Someone wants to say fuck it because they MUST get a photo, MUST do what they want, fine.  But be prepared to deal with the results.  No bitching about it allowed.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Put your phones away and enjoy the show for fucks sake.

I'm cool with tossing out every single one of them
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/u8LJ25t-0rc
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2017
    I support the thinking, I just think how they went about trying to stop the problem is very flawed. Speaking of Jack White, he does this in a way that actually works. You barely see anyone with their phones up at his shows because of how he asks everyone not to do it. Everyone should just do what Jack does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I do pull my phone out and take the a few pictures during shows but never video.   Given that the quality of photos is maybe 1 in 5 turns out ok... I'm more than happy to never pull it out, if no one else pulls them out either.

Obviously it makes me a hypocrite, but it's awful trying to look at the stage and people have their cameras with lit up displays pointed right at you.  It does distract from the experience.  If artist's want to enforce it, i'm ok with it.

It's kind of funny though.  I was watching the GNR bootleg from the st. louis riot show... and Axl tells security to get the guys camera, they don't, and he dives into the pit to do it himself.... gets pissed, walks off stage, and a riot ensues.....  lol.
  • Options
    ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    Recently saw Bob Dylan in Chicago. The ushers were out in force. Same deal. Was emailed about phone policy before the show. Was told to shut down phones as we entered. Announcement over the PA prior to the show starting. Ushers giving one warning and then ejecting for the second offense. By the second half of the show, the audience was dark. I didn't love it because I like to take a picture or two from each show, but it was pretty clear that Dylan didn't want photos taken. I could either abide by his wishes, get kicked out, or simply not go. I chose to go and adhere to his request.
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    In Taormina ushers were going up and down the aisles with flashlights shining them on people using their phone. That was way more distracting than the people on their mobiles. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I like filming shit with real cameras.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I have zero problem with you and other pro's... you guys keep it slick, not bothering anybody, with great quality... it's the other 99% I can't stand...  drunks snapping worthless shots nonstop, taking shitty video of the the video boards, or watching people post updates on social media and who knows what else... 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Yes, we don't take pictures (obviously) so there are no lights and you never hold it higher than your head.  
  • Options
    I don't tend to use my phone at a gig. 
    I learned that whilst you are recording or snapping a picture you miss the real vibe and environment. Kills the buzz for me anyhow. It is nice to see a good video after on you tube
     But many are shit.if done privately no worries .
    But its normally in everyones way.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I did record some sound which i enjoyed listening back to with my own mental images added .
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    10LordsALeaping10LordsALeaping Posts: 171
    edited November 2017
    60 people got kicked out of A Perfect Circle in Camden tonight.  Good.  They got what was coming to them because it was posted everywhere.  Cellphones at shows are obnoxious.
  • Options
    nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    While I also agree the usher enforcement is worse than the offense, it may not simply be about a cellphone in people's view. While that offense is seemingly minor, the environment it sets up makes this worse for the artist. It is possibly/probably for the artist's sake:  they are the ones that find it distracting, they are the ones that don't want people at their shows out of the moment, and they don't like how other guests feel under a microscope at a show trying to unwind when social media johnny/Jane is going nuts taking crowd shots and vids. 

To everyone saying "I just want one simple picture what is the big deal?" a concert is supposed to be 2-3 hours to forget about life and unwind, and the artist is trying to enforce that for those reasons. 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:
    yes to this.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    60 people got kicked out of A Perfect Circle in Camden tonight.  Good.  They got what was coming to them because it was posted everywhere.  Cellphones at shows are obnoxious.
    Hahahahahahahaha boot their ass!!!

On the earlier comment that the ushers enforcing this type of rule can be even more distracting, I tend to agree, but feel like maybe we need to deal with that upfront in the hope to create a new norm/culture at live concerts where it's not acceptable/cool to pull out your phone... I want people to be ashamed to pull those damn phones out

I leave my phone in the car, and have for years
  • Options
    Who gives a shit? Enjoy yourself and don't worry because someone you don't even know has their phone out at a concert.