Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Ok folks. I didn't do well with the office treats today. But haven't had any more. Took the kids trick or treating which did involve some jogging and I did 30 minutes cardio. It in no way makes up for what I ate, but hey what can I say.

Back to the norm tomorrow.....till thanksgiving! 
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I feasted on a wide range of vaguely Halloween themed foods and candies.

No shame.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Monday morning: 183.5
    Tuesday afternoon: 179.0
    Wednesday morning: 183.5 
    LOL I feasted!
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I have complete shame for yesterday. Not for candy though. Was my wife's birthday and we splurged for some heavenly cheesecake. That slice was soooo good and soooo bad at the same time lol.

Gonna do some extra squats, deadlifts, and more cardio today as penance for yesterday. 
    I'm back at work trying to stay strong. Haven't even gone near the left over treat area! Avoiding! I was outta control yesterday. Which is fine like gambs said, just I have goals haha and those treats won't help me get there. Stay strong people! :lol:
    I have complete shame for yesterday. Not for candy though. Was my wife's birthday and we splurged for some heavenly cheesecake. That slice was soooo good and soooo bad at the same time lol.

Gonna do some extra squats, deadlifts, and more cardio today as penance for yesterday. 
    One slice???
    There's no shame in that.
    rgambs said:

One slice???
    It was Cheesecake Factory, so 1 slice was probably 1300 calories. So, yeah, shame...
    I ate a fun size snickers, Reese's Cup, and three musketeers, 1 large piece of cake, 1 tootsie pop, a bowl of jello, and a sugar cookie.
    After a dinner of pig in a blanket, baked beans, mac and cheese, stromboli, and 3 deviled eggs.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:

One slice???
    It was Cheesecake Factory, so 1 slice was probably 1300 calories. So, yeah, shame...
    What's the point of life without being able to enjoy food we like without shame?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Agreed.
    Even if I gotta skip lunch to get it, I'm eating that cheesecake with nothing but pure pleasure.

When I'm mindful and appropriately hungry for it, delicious food is like a drug, it's like being on shrooms.  Perfect focus on sensory delight.
    There's a reason chocolate is likened to and associated with sex!

Never been to the cheesecake factory, but cheesecake is an all time favorite.
    I prefer cheesecake with a blueberry or strawberry topping.
    edited November 2017
    rgambs said:

One slice???
    What's the point of life without being able to enjoy food we like without shame?
    That's the problem though. I've enjoyed a lot of food for a long time without doing much to counteract it.

rgambs said:
    Agreed.
    Even if I gotta skip lunch to get it, I'm eating that cheesecake with nothing but pure pleasure.

When I'm mindful and appropriately hungry for it, delicious food is like a drug, it's like being on shrooms.  Perfect focus on sensory delight.
    rgambs said:

I enjoy eating there. From appetizers to meals to cheesecakes, I've not had anything bad there. It can be relatively expensive though, as you could easily drop $100+ for a couple depending on how much you order. Closest one is an hour away, so it has to be a planned trip. We've never done it, but you can have their cheesecakes shipped to you. I got the salted caramel and it was definitely decadent and delicious.

I paid my penance today, so I don't feel that guilty anymore. I may not be able to walk tomorrow though. Judging from today, my squats and deadlifts have really improved the last couple of months. I'm ready to get to the point in my workout program to retest my 1 rep max. If I can get in enough sessions, may be able to do it the week after next.
    My belly has been outta whack. On day 2 now. I am cranky!

Cranky!
  • rgambs said:

Love cheesecake! It's one of the only "poisons" I allow myself to indulge in. Maybe 2 times a year. I try to think of food as FUEL for your body. Makes it easier to try to eat healthier. Well at least it works for me. 
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
    rgambs said:

Love cheesecake! It's one of the only "poisons" I allow myself to indulge in. Maybe 2 times a year. I try to think of food as FUEL for your body. Makes it easier to try to eat healthier. Well at least it works for me. 
    I get that, I'm too much of a sensualist to adopt that mindframe.
    I'm not sure I would choose a longer span of healthy life if it meant giving up delicious foods like cheesecake.
    Our time in this life is so friggin short, and that works as an argument for both sides lol

This week has been goodbad.  Or maybe badgood.
    Yeah, that's the one.
    I have eaten mostly like a normal person, no extremes on either end.  My workouts have been great, I had to skip Wednesday and Friday but my days on have been killer.  Slinging weight and burning miles everyday.
    Today I didn't lift, I just did 6 miles in 65 minutes on the treadmill.  That's a new best for me.
    Not losing weight, but feeling pretty good.  
    Guac, I've ate poorly for so long I look forward to Friday's! Can't wait for dinner! I do notice several foods don' do it for me anymore and I'm disappointed and then just look for something else to fill the void.

I'm now going to stick with Halo Top ice cream and so far pistachio and candy bar are my favs.

Iv'e almost lost 20lbs from educating myself some about food, meal prepping my breakfast and lunches, and at home workouts.

I'm still hung up on this cardio vs weight training. Going to try an at home workout Piyo. Focuses on continual movement of pilates, yoga, and flexibility. The lady that developed it said it will cover cardio and strength training and stretching in 30 minutes. Gonna give it a go to keep mixing it up. It's a 60 day challenge. I'l be happy with any results :lol:
    Halo Top is good enough, but just barely lol
    Better than Arctic Zero!
    180.9<183.5<185.1<187.7
  • Beat myself up 2 weeks ago. Tried to run a little(very little)for the 1st time in 16years, since my injuries. Bad idea! Between the little bit of running & a little bit of twisting, I wasn't able to walk for a week & was pretty much restricted to couch time. Should have known not to participate,(Dr's recommendations), but wanted to try & see what I could do. Won't be a next time. At least I was able to get back to the gym, albeit a light workout, a few days ago. Outside activities will be restricted to some biking & snowboarding(when it snows). Body just can't take much else. Will continue to visit the gym sometimes, & maintain what I can. 
    What You Giving

Swimming is always enjoyable!!!
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Guac, I've ate poorly for so long I look forward to Friday's! Can't wait for dinner! I do notice several foods don' do it for me anymore and I'm disappointed and then just look for something else to fill the void.

I'm now going to stick with Halo Top ice cream and so far pistachio and candy bar are my favs.

Iv'e almost lost 20lbs from educating myself some about food, meal prepping my breakfast and lunches, and at home workouts.

I'm still hung up on this cardio vs weight training. Going to try an at home workout Piyo. Focuses on continual movement of pilates, yoga, and flexibility. The lady that developed it said it will cover cardio and strength training and stretching in 30 minutes. Gonna give it a go to keep mixing it up. It's a 60 day challenge. I'l be happy with any results :lol:
    Re cardio vs weight training:
    If you're just chasing numbers on the scale, cardio is the way to go. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose weight training for many of the reasons gambs listed in a previous post. The best approach is a combination of both, varying your cardio between long, static cardio and HIIT style routines.

I know gambs stated he doesn't really buy into the weight training for weight loss camp, but it does work. I don't do cardio at all and am losing weight. Granted, it's at a slower pace than if I was doing cardio, but I'm dropping weight nonetheless. I might get back to doing cardio, but right now I just loathe it so I don't do it.
  • FoxyRedLa said:
    Unfortunately I sink like a rock, lol. Get exhausted just treading water :o , so I don't swim much. Love being on my float in our pool, but there's not many calories burned that way  ;) .
    What You Giving

FoxyRedLa said:

If you're just chasing numbers on the scale, cardio is the way to go. If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose weight training for many of the reasons gambs listed in a previous post. The best approach is a combination of both, varying your cardio between long, static cardio and HIIT style routines.

I know gambs stated he doesn't really buy into the weight training for weight loss camp, but it does work. I don't do cardio at all and am losing weight. Granted, it's at a slower pace than if I was doing cardio, but I'm dropping weight nonetheless. I might get back to doing cardio, but right now I just loathe it so I don't do it.
    Maybe the you tubers I've been watching are speaking to those those that want muscle definition and are confusing me. I just don't want to waste my time. I want to slim down. Way down ha! After that maybe I would be interested in building muscle - looking like they do. I am definitely not interested in growing my peach.

I'm going to try this Piyo business. I also want to heart and lung wise be in shape not just slim down. Definitely don't want to reach my goal weight and not be able to maintain it.

Thanks always for the input!
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Unfortunately I sink like a rock, lol. Get exhausted just treading water :o , so I don't swim much. Love being on my float in our pool, but there's not many calories burned that way  ;) .
    :giggle:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    FoxyRedLa said:

Maybe the you tubers I've been watching are speaking to those those that want muscle definition and are confusing me. I just don't want to waste my time. I want to slim down. Way down ha! After that maybe I would be interested in building muscle - looking like they do. I am definitely not interested in growing my peach.

I'm going to try this Piyo business. I also want to heart and lung wise be in shape not just slim down. Definitely don't want to reach my goal weight and not be able to maintain it.

Thanks always for the input!
    No problem! Here's more unsolicited advice lol. I would still suggest you incorporate both cardio and weight training to achieve your desired goal. You don't want to lose a lot of weight but still have loose skin. The weight training should be used for toning up as you lose the weight, not necessarily for building muscle. Low weights and high reps (12-15 rep range) would be what you should do. If you're going to do PiYo for 60 days straight, then use that in lieu of of the weight training as that will also help tone and sculpt your muscles. As you get more into that program and you can do the more advanced moves/poses, you'll probably start to build some muscle. The cardio/PiYo should get you to your goal as long as you keep doing well with your nutrition.
    I agree with Sir Mark!
    Weight training is definitely a viable option for losing fat, but it takes a greater commitment for many, IMO.
    I know from your posts that you are serious about your lifting, strenuous anaerobic conditions maintained regularly.  You are sweating and out of breath and you feel the workout for hours and days in your muscles and joints.  That's the kind of training that stimulates your metabolism for hours and all sorts of good stuff that will make you lose weight almost as fast as cardio if you are on top of your diet.
    The thing is, not everyone lifts like that, particularly among women.  I feel like so many women and men who aren't taught how to lift just shuffle around the gym doing sets with poor form, not enough, or too much weight, and always too much time between sets.
    I see people every single day that lift for a half hour or hour and not break a sweat.
    Of course, that's way better than nothing at all!  But you can't expect to get much from it.

Cardio, on the other hand, is fool proof.
    Just move as fast as you can sustain and keep doing it lol
    Yeah, I try to train as hard as I can. I feel like I'm cheating myself and wasting money on a gym membership if I don't.

Speaking of feeling it, man my legs are on fire today! Back and leg day yesterday and all the squats and deadlifts have me doing the penguin waddle lol.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I'm trying to claw back to where I was six months ago. There have been a lot of changes in my life, some of them pretty tough ones. I had to take a month off climbing in the summer to deal with some stuff, and another almost a month off from the end of September after I injured my shoulder. Now I'm back, trying not to re-injure myself, and feeling pretty discouraged and dismayed by how much strength and skill I've lost. Climbing used to be a ton of fun and it seemed like every time I went I could see positives; complete a route I'd never finished before, or improve a skill. Now all I can see is what I can't do any more. It's hard to stay motivated.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I'm trying to claw back to where I was six months ago. There have been a lot of changes in my life, some of them pretty tough ones. I had to take a month off climbing in the summer to deal with some stuff, and another almost a month off from the end of September after I injured my shoulder. Now I'm back, trying not to re-injure myself, and feeling pretty discouraged and dismayed by how much strength and skill I've lost. Climbing used to be a ton of fun and it seemed like every time I went I could see positives; complete a route I'd never finished before, or improve a skill. Now all I can see is what I can't do any more. It's hard to stay motivated.
    Don't give up. That's a good bit of time away from climbing, so I wouldn't be too discouraged about not being where you were before the injury. You'll get back to that level in no time!
    Do you climb in the field ever or just at the gym?
    Either way, just get out there and pick routes that are dramatic but not difficult, I can't imagine having a hard time being motivated with a few hundred feet of vertical exposure!