Dinosaur Jr. + J Mascis

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
So in love with them right now. I missed the train on DJr back in the day and I'm really enjoying their new records a lot. Also J Mascis + The Fog are super cool too. Love this tune with Watt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qPaI6QvyU

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Oh yeah! Can't say enough about J/Dinosaur. I got into them a bit late as well. I first hear about them when I read Michael Azerrad's excellent book, Our Band Could Be Your Life. I was already a fan of several of the bands Azerrad wrote about in that book but wasn't familiar with Dinosaur Jr. I decided to check out some of their stuff and thought, "Well, interesting but this guys voice sucks." But then a few years later I read one of Henry Rollins books in which he talks a lot about Dinosaur Jr and raves about the band and, having much respect for Mr. Rollins, decided to revisit the band. I listed to a few more records and J's voice grew on me (in fact now, I love it!) and really got into his guitar playing and just love Murph and Lou's work as well.

If you don't already have it, you'll probably love the DVD "Dinosaur Jr, Bug Live at the 9:30 Club". Superb! And the other DVD they made, "Live in the Middle East" (the club, not the place) is great. Middle east has poor camera work, the flashing lights are irritating after a while but the particular live version of "The Lung" on that one just simply blows the top of my head off ever time. J in the zone, big time!

For the last four or five years I would say clearing, Dinosaur Jr have been my favorite band. In that time I've invested in 27 LPs, 11 singles, 12 CDs and two DVDs. In fact, since getting my first LP in 1964 I would have to say that among my all-time favorites- The Beach Boys, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, The Replacements and Pearl Jam,- if I had to list one all-time favorite it might just have to be Dinosaur Jr./J Mascis.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

By the way, I love that clip! Any idea where and when it was recorded?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    brianlux said:

By the way, I love that clip! Any idea where and when it was recorded?

Thanks for sharing your awesome story. Only thing I can find on clip is it was 2001 tour for J Mascis + The Fog album More Light. Recorded sometime between April-October 2001, but I could be wrong. Anyone else maybe know?
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I don't know anything about the clip but I love just about everything J Mascis is involved with.

Dino Jr, J Mascis and the Fog, his solo albums and Heavy Blanket are all in my regular rotation.

I had the opportunity to catch Dinosaur Jr in '97. What an amazing experience!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

I don't know anything about the clip but I love just about everything J Mascis is involved with.

Dino Jr, J Mascis and the Fog, his solo albums and Heavy Blanket are all in my regular rotation.

For sure, Heavy Blanket is great!

If you haven't heard it, you might very much dig this one. Two records/ four sides, one looooooong jam! Awesome!

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

If you haven't heard it, you might very much dig this one. Two records/ four sides, one looooooong jam! Awesome!

Oh man! I hadn't heard of this before. I'm doing some work on my speakers and this might be just the right thing to test them with.
    dudeman said:

brianlux said:

dudeman said:

Oh man! I hadn't heard of this before. I'm doing some work on my speakers and this might be just the right thing to test them with.
    Cool! Give yourself an hour plus to sit back and get some wind in your face off the speakers!

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    J Mascis is killer.
    I never saw old Dinosaur Jr the first time around though i've been a fan since 93 when Where Ya Been came out
    I saw J for the first time back in 2003. I think i've seen him solo (or with backing band) 5 times and with Dinosaur jr 4 times.
    Never disappoints
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep said:

J Mascis is killer.
    I never saw old Dinosaur Jr the first time around though i've been a fan since 93 when Where Ya Been came out
    I saw J for the first time back in 2003. I think i've seen him solo (or with backing band) 5 times and with Dinosaur jr 4 times.
    Never disappoints

Excellent! Would love to hear anything more you have to share about those shows!

Interesting article here although if I were to list five essential Dinosaur Jr albums I would replace "Beyond" with "Where You Been" from their list.

Oh wait! And then there's the incredible BBC: In Session LP! And how can we leave out "Hand it Over"? And "Bug" for cryin' out loud! And all the rest... but then I'm a fanatic and there's not a single one of the bunch I would want to do without!

http://flagpole.com/music/music-features/2017/03/22/exploring-five-essential-dinosaur-jr-albums

And here's an excellent and rare opportunity to hear all three band members interviewed at the same time. Good stuff!

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/wednesday-march-29-2017-dinosaur-jr-shuki-levy-and-more-1.4042280/dinosaur-jr-reflect-on-30-years-as-one-of-rock-s-loudest-bands-1.4042885

Thanks for sharing these!

Not sure I agree with the picks either. Where You Been needs to be on the list. Hand It Over, Without a Sound, Beyond and Farm round out the five essential albums for me.

There's not a bad album in the catalog, though.
    edited April 2017
    dudeman said:

Thanks for sharing these!

Not sure I agree with the picks either. Where You Been needs to be on the list. Hand It Over, Without a Sound, Beyond and Farm round out the five essential albums for me.

There's not a bad album in the catalog, though.

"Where You Been" for sure! "Start Choppin'" is one of the coolest guitar songs (love the singing too) ON EARTH! I'm blown away by J's playing on that number every time I listen to it. Just crazy good!

Edit: Here's the whole glorious piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbD1sZj8BbA

Post edited by brianlux on

edited April 2017
    ^^^ Augh- never actually listened to the Official Video until now. They cut out most of that amazing solo at the end!! Fantastic album in any case!

Fixed!
    Post edited by brianlux on

Official Dino video for "Knocked Around".  Only just saw this.  I'm absolutely crazy nuts for this song!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=tl6xfkikd8M

edited May 2017
    I hadn't seen that video before. I agree, it's a great song and another solid album from these guys. They deserve every bit of praise they receive.

Thanks for sharing, blux!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    dudeman said:
    I hadn't seen that video before. I agree, it's a great song and another solid album from these guys. They deserve every bit of praise they receive.

Thanks for sharing, blux!
    :plus_one:

dudeman, have you checked out the official Dinosaur site lately?  They put up these very cool Dino emojis you can download if you have an iphone.   I don't, but they look great!  I was checking them out and then went to their store and had to get another t-shirt- the Owl Man! 

Haven't been there in a while but I'll check it out now. Thanks again man. 
    I saw Dinosaur Jr last night in Grand Rapids. J, Lou and Murph were all in top form. They played a long, diverse set that spanned pretty much their entire career. 

Can't believe it's been 20 years since I saw them last. 

Man, what a band!
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Such a great band. Saw J. open up for Negative Approach at El Cortez in Brooklyn with his Stooges cover band a few weeks ago. Got to chat with him for a few. Super cool guy but kinda quiet but awesome seeing him jam out on Stooges songs in a tiny venue.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    They did a cover of a Negative Approach song for an encore with members of Easy Action. They fucking tore it up! 

One thing about the show:  there was a lot of moshing and fighting. My friend and I were the second row back from the rail right in front of J and most of the fighting and moshing was behind us a little. I managed to stay out of the worst of it. There were 6 or 7 women in the pit and a couple of them were randomly punching people in the face.  A guy on the floor had a half full glass of beer smashed into the side of his head. Some dude was flicking a lighter at people attempting to light them on fire.

The venue being a brewery with glass glasses was particularly interesting. The floor was covered with broken glass, spilled beer and vomit. My friend had to stop on the way out to pull pieces of broken glass out of the bottom of his shoes.

All in all, it was quite a night. Dinosaur Jr definitely rocked the place. 
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    dudeman said:
    They did a cover of a Negative Approach song for an encore with members of Easy Action. They fucking tore it up! 

One thing about the show:  there was a lot of moshing and fighting. My friend and I were the second row back from the rail right in front of J and most of the fighting and moshing was behind us a little. I managed to stay out of the worst of it. There were 6 or 7 women in the pit and a couple of them were randomly punching people in the face.  A guy on the floor had a half full glass of beer smashed into the side of his head. Some dude was flicking a lighter at people attempting to light them on fire.

The venue being a brewery with glass glasses was particularly interesting. The floor was covered with broken glass, spilled beer and vomit. My friend had to stop on the way out to pull pieces of broken glass out of the bottom of his shoes.

All in all, it was quite a night. Dinosaur Jr definitely rocked the place. 
    Jesus sounds crazy. Glass beer cups in a pit sounds terrible and the lighter guy... lol. John Brannon, singer of Easy Action also singer of NA.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    That makes sense. I hadn't heard of either band before. They definitely got people riled up. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    Thanks for sharing these! Not sure I agree with the picks either. Where You Been needs to be on the list. Hand It Over, Without a Sound, Beyond and Farm round out the five essential albums for me. There's not a bad album in the catalog, though.
    "Where You Been" for sure! "Start Choppin'" is one of the coolest guitar songs (love the singing too) ON EARTH! I'm blown away by J's playing on that number every time I listen to it. Just crazy good! Edit: Here's the whole glorious piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbD1sZj8BbA
    Always loved this song.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    saw Dino Jr last year -- awesome show (my hearing returned to normal after about 4-5 days)
    chiefnjk said:
    saw Dino Jr last year -- awesome show (my hearing returned to normal after about 4-5 days)
    yeah I read that they're very loud.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Oh yes. I took earplugs and was glad I did. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dudeman said:

when I saw them, J was about 3 feet in front of approx 72 sq ft of amps.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    dudeman said:

when I saw them, J was about 3 feet in front of approx 72 sq ft of amps.
    I wonder how deaf he is.
    Why the need to be so loud but?
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    I saw them last year and it had to be the loudest show I’ve ever been to. I don’t know how they stand in front of those stacks every night. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Wow!!! Funny you guys mention how fucking loud they are. I saw them in 94 at a small club in Seattle and my ears were ringing for three days!  I've been using cotton balls or ear plugs at shows ever since.