Big Wreck/Thornley

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
edited May 2021 in Other Music
***EDIT: I just bought a VERRRY expensive rare cassette tape (Big Wreck) that I currently can't listen to or convert. My cassette capture device is playing slow, and everything I see on Amazon and elsewhere has at least a few bad reviews with stuff not working. Anyone know of a reputable device that I could buy at a reasonable price to convert that (and all my old band jam tapes)?***

Many years ago, Ian Thornley (Big Wreck, Thornley) would post demos he was working on to his myspace account, allowing for them to be downloaded. They were honestly some of my favourite tracks by him. My PC crashed last year, and lost all of my digital music. I have been able to reclaim most of my catalogue, but these demos elude me. It was so long ago I don't even recall the track names. I know the demo of Good Times Roll was on there, which I was able to find by way of one of the old Thornley fansites (and it's MUCH better than the version Big Wreck recently released on iTunes). But the rest I can't find. Can anyone help a dude out?

Man it sucks loving Canadian music sometimes. So hard to find the hard-to-find stuff. 

edit: so, the songs I have that are not commercially available:

Thornley:
-Straight to Hell (Tiny Pictures bonus track)
-Fade Away (unreleased Tiny Pictures track)
-All Because of Me (Come Again bonus track)
-Mistake (Come Again bonus track)
-Piss It Away (Come Again bonus track)

Ian Thornley:
Myspace demos:
-Brit Pop
-Good Son
-Let The Good Times Roll (MUCH different version released on "Bag of Tricks" Big Wreck digital EP)
-Mama
-Might Be The End
-My Heart Is
-One of Those Days
-Stop and Think

Big Wreck:
-Ill Advice (from the Much @ Edgefest 99 compilation)

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    got em all from a buddy if anyone wants them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Glad that you have been reunited with music you love. I have never listened to Thornley and I haven't heard anything from Big Wreck except for the first album. I've been meaning to rectify that. 

I love the first record, saw them at a tiny little bar in the late nineties and met and had beers with the band. They were all very nice and accommodating. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • MattRHMattRH Alberta, Canada Posts: 11
    Hey, you wouldn't mind sharing these would you? Been looking everywhere and can't find anything! Never seen a record company so good at wiping something from the internet.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    If you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d love to add them to my collection. HUGE fan of his. Still waiting for Big Wreck to do a wider US tour and come down Arizona way.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    edited October 2017
    @DC29940 and @MattRH both of you pm me with your email addresses and I'll wetransfer them to you. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

DC29940 said:
    If you wouldn’t mind sharing, I’d love to add them to my collection. HUGE fan of his. Still waiting for Big Wreck to do a wider US tour and come down Arizona way.
    do you have the Big Wreck song called Ill Advice? It was on a Canadian festival tour compilation cd released by MuchMusic, Edgefest 99. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_at_Edgefest_'99
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bought Albatross and Grace Street last night. interesting how much work Ian has done with Alain Johannes. I wonder if Ian knew Chris. Ian would be a perfect to do a one-off in Cornell's shoes if they ever got into the hall of fame. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hey, I have Ill Advice! I ripped it straight from the Much @ Edgefest '99 CD. Found it used in a local record shop here in Lethbridge; if you want any of the other stuff, I could share those as well. I also have Still Holding, another In Loving Memory Of... B-Side, but it's just a rip from youtube, as I've had no luck trying to find the 2 commercial singles that Ill Advice and Still holding were released on. That said, Still Holding is among the best songs they ever did.
    Still Holding? Don't recall ever hearing that. I'll have to check that out tonight. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

MattRH said:
    Hey, I have Ill Advice! I ripped it straight from the Much @ Edgefest '99 CD. Found it used in a local record shop here in Lethbridge; if you want any of the other stuff, I could share those as well. I also have Still Holding, another In Loving Memory Of... B-Side, but it's just a rip from youtube, as I've had no luck trying to find the 2 commercial singles that Ill Advice and Still holding were released on. That said, Still Holding is among the best songs they ever did.
    what "other stuff" are you referring to?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Other stuff as in the rare tracks from other bands that were part of the compilation. Fated by Matthew Good Band (edited version different than the one on iTunes), a remix of Surefire by Econoline Crush, Morphine by Moist, a different mix of Life Line by The Tea Party than what is on Tangents, Best Sunday Dress by Hole, and a few others from Can Rock bands of the late 90's. Granted, a lot of these tracks by the big name bands were later released in some form or another, but as a completionist I like everything.
    Actually just found a link to a download of what should be the source rip of the song with variable bitrate, and not a youtube rip according to the guy that posted it.
    You wouldn't happen to also have the Come Again demos would you? I hear a lot about how different the title track was, and how much better Beautiful was but I still can't find anything on them.
    MattRH said:
    Other stuff as in the rare tracks from other bands that were part of the compilation. Fated by Matthew Good Band (edited version different than the one on iTunes), a remix of Surefire by Econoline Crush, Morphine by Moist, a different mix of Life Line by The Tea Party than what is on Tangents, Best Sunday Dress by Hole, and a few others from Can Rock bands of the late 90's. Granted, a lot of these tracks by the big name bands were later released in some form or another, but as a completionist I like everything.
    oh, got it.No, I have that cd actually. but thanks!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

MattRH said:
    You wouldn't happen to also have the Come Again demos would you? I hear a lot about how different the title track was, and how much better Beautiful was but I still can't find anything on them.
    no come again demos. didn't know they were out there! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

DC29940 said:
    do you have the Big Wreck song called Ill Advice? It was on a Canadian festival tour compilation cd released by MuchMusic, Edgefest 99. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Much_at_Edgefest_'99
    Yes I do, actually!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    wow. how odd that just in the last week or so that I've been listening to Big Wreck again. Bought two of their most recent albums last friday. And BOOM, they announce this In Loving Memory Of anniversary tour. Just bought front row centre VIP complete with signed ILMO vinyl and soundcheck/meet and greet. SICK. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I know! Sucks that they skipped Calgary and Medicine Hat for the tour. Left most of southern Alberta out to dry.
    MattRH said:
    I know! Sucks that they skipped Calgary and Medicine Hat for the tour. Left most of southern Alberta out to dry.
    got my laptop back last night. Should be able to get you Piss it Away and Straight To Hell over the weekend. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Just got VIP tix for Halifax, woot!
    I really wish they were coming to AZ. LA is the closest and I can't make it out there then. I did, however, preorder ILMO on vinyl. That album is easily in my top ten 90s albums. So stoked to finally be getting a vinyl copy!
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    I'm spinning the 20th Anniversary edition of "In Loving Memory of" on vinyl right now and it sounds great! This is probably in my top 20 albums of all time and I'm beyond stoked to have it on vinyl.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    DC29940 said:
    I'm spinning the 20th Anniversary edition of "In Loving Memory of" on vinyl right now and it sounds great! This is probably in my top 20 albums of all time and I'm beyond stoked to have it on vinyl.
    And while they aren't on the vinyl, the download card included Ill Advice and Still Holding which was a nice surprise.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Brian Doherty, guitarist for Big Wreck, has terminal cancer. There is a gofundme set up for his expenses:

https://www.gofundme.com/brian-doherty-cancer-care-fund
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

also, new single Locomotive is on digital services, and is the lead single for upcoming album But For The Sun. Not sure how Brian's diagnosis will affect upcoming touring and the release of the record. They have some dates lined up this summer, and they are already talking like the end is near for Brian. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    that's really too bad.
  • RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    also, new single Locomotive is on digital services, and is the lead single for upcoming album But For The Sun. Not sure how Brian's diagnosis will affect upcoming touring and the release of the record. They have some dates lined up this summer, and they are already talking like the end is near for Brian. 
    It sucks for sure. As for the touring, probably as a trio since they were doing that over the past year anyways.
    I am wired and fading...
    RoeDawg13 said:
    It sucks for sure. As for the touring, probably as a trio since they were doing that over the past year anyways.
    they were? I didn't realize they did any dates since the ILMO anniversary tour. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    RoeDawg13 said:
    they were? I didn't realize they did any dates since the ILMO anniversary tour. 

A few one offs and festival shows. They mentioned that Brian would not be there due to illness but didn't go any further than that.
    I am wired and fading...