Options

Another Drunk Winnipeg Cop Kills Civilian

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
so yesterday a cop, 34 year old Justin Holz, an 8 year veteran of the Winnipeg Police Force, struck and killed 23 year old Cody Severight. Holz fled the scene and was later apprehended by police. 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fatal-crash-cop-winnipeg-1.4348975

In 2008, an off-duty cop drove drunk and plowed into the back of Crystal Taman's vehicle at a red light, killing her. There was much public outrage over the incident, as he plead down to dangerous driving causing death, and got 2 years less a day to be served AT HOME. 

They'd better not fuck this one up. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Inquiry
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    I hate reading stories like this and I hope they don't fuck it up either. I hate when police and politicians seem to get 2nd tier treatment when it comes to stuff like this. Not held to the standards that the general public is. We have a cop here in town that has been on 2 year paid leave while they sort out his drunken issues. The worse part is everyone knows he is a drunk and he was allowed to serve for years. I'm only in a town of 9000 people. Bothers me that he gets paid, if it wa me, be fired from work and not be paid, not right
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    yeah, this cop is on paid leave right now too. I don't think that will last long though. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Should get nothing as you and I wouldn't get paid leave
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    I have no problem with the paid leave. It is common practice in just about any industry to be on paid leave during an investigation.
    I remember similar comments with recent shootings, cmplaining about the paid leave. Teachers get paid leave when under investigation for child rape, because often times it isn't true and going through that process is bad enough, imagine if you had to go through it and lose your house too? If they are found guilty, the weeks or even months of paid leave isn't going to make it worth while.
    Cops get mandatory paid leave after every shooting now. my dad was just telling me a story last weekend about a close friend of his who was a cop, shot and killed someone on duty and didn't get any time off. They were expected to go back to work the next day back then. He lost so much sleep over it he got into a crash and died on his way to work just a couple days after the shooting. This was 30 years ago, but it was incidents like that that, and false accusations that demanded paid leave.
    Now if he's guilty of drunk driving and killing someone, and looks like he is, I agree he should be treated no different. And when he spends several years in prison I doubt a few weeks of paid leave is going to lessen his punishment. 
    I've always thought there needs to be more consistency when handing down sentencing, it seems way too random. You can get 2 years for murder and someone else gets life for attempted murder.

• Options
    I agree mace. however, do you think they should still be on paid leave when on trial? or get cut off when indicted? they could still be found not guilty, but if found guilty, the city has been paying him on tax dollars for however long the trial is. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Innocent until proven guilty. Paid leave until then.
    Typically trials are short compared to the time leading up to the trial. 3 weeks can be long for even a murder trial, but the lawyers may need 6 months to prepare for it. Usually only the trials that draw major attention like OJ are going to last longer. So those extra couple weeks aren't really going to matter if the person has been on paid leave the entire time leading up to the trial. The paid leave tax payers cover are nothing compared to all of the other court costs involved in a trial
    edit: That only applies if the charge is related to your job while on the job. A cop shooting, a teacher being charged with a sex crime, etc. Anything on your own time is on your own dime. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    mace1229 said:
    Typically trials are short compared to the time leading up to the trial. 3 weeks can be long for even a murder trial, but the lawyers may need 6 months to prepare for it. Usually only the trials that draw major attention like OJ are going to last longer. So those extra couple weeks aren't really going to matter if the person has been on paid leave the entire time leading up to the trial. The paid leave tax payers cover are nothing compared to all of the other court costs involved in a trial
    edit: That only applies if the charge is related to your job while on the job. A cop shooting, a teacher being charged with a sex crime, etc. Anything on your own time is on your own dime. 

leaving the scene of a caused fatality while drunk and off duty?

suspended WITHOUT pay.

shit goes down on duty is one thing...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

leaving the scene of a caused fatality while drunk and off duty?

suspended WITHOUT pay.

shit goes down on duty is one thing...
    I did say should get paid for stuff on duty. But still think suspended with pay is the right thing to do. He hasn't been "proven" guilty yet. And even though I don't see any reason to believe he won't be, there's still a process and a level of proof needed before you fire someone.
    And when he's found guilty, its not like  few months of paid leave is going to make a few years of jail time sound any sweeter. There just really isn't any reason not to in a case like this.
    Put it in another light. A teacher who is a coach gets accused of sexual misconduct by a student athlete. Turns out the student made it up because as a player he got benched and was pissed. Do you fire the teacher right away, give him paid leave while the investigation goes on, or let him keep working with the allogations. Doesn't matter if it was on the weekend or at school, only fair thing to do is paid leave until the matter is resolved.
    Same goes for cops. 
  • Options
    maybe the fucker should have to pay back the money he was given while on paid leave if found guilty. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    maybe the fucker should have to pay back the money he was given while on paid leave if found guilty. 
    That sounds fair. Be given the option to resign, or paid leave but return the money if found guilty.
  • Options
    What's up with the US and your police force murdering people and being so lousy? There is so many stories about shitty behaviour and straight up murders?
    Is it an education thing, or problems with values within the force?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    What's up with the US and your police force murdering people and being so lousy? There is so many stories about shitty behaviour and straight up murders?
    Winnipeg is in Canada. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    Winnipeg is in Canada. 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    Winnipeg is in Canada. 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1

• Options

• Options
     =) this made my day 

• Options
    edited October 2017