Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    nycrats said:
    i love these guys so will have a blast no matter what but would liek to see them at a smaller venue for sure.  was in GA though which was awesome.

last 5 songs i wound up basically in the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th row center, it wasnt up to me, people were getting MOVED.. it was pretty wild for my old man ass but I loved it.. I dont think I ave the stamina for more than a few songs liek that though.. 
    one of my favorite PJ concert  memories was Argentina 2015.  I walked up to the side of the stage and listened to the first couple slow songs. First fast song I used the surge of the crowd to push me towards the middle and I would hold my ground when the surge went backwards.  After a couple songs And surges I made it to fourth row middle in front of Ed.  Was great for about 40 minutes but being slammed up against other sweaty people is only fun for so long.  The 34 year old conservative brain came in and said it is not safe to be squeezed into a large group of people.   Had a heluva time getting out.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    nycrats said:
    i love these guys so will have a blast no matter what but would liek to see them at a smaller venue for sure.  was in GA though which was awesome.

last 5 songs i wound up basically in the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th row center, it wasnt up to me, people were getting MOVED.. it was pretty wild for my old man ass but I loved it.. I dont think I ave the stamina for more than a few songs liek that though.. 
    one of my favorite PJ concert  memories was Argentina 2015.  I walked up to the side of the stage and listened to the first couple slow songs. First fast song I used the surge of the crowd to push me towards the middle and I would hold my ground when the surge went backwards.  After a couple songs And surges I made it to fourth row middle in front of Ed.  Was great for about 40 minutes but being slammed up against other sweaty people is only fun for so long.  The 34 year old conservative brain came in and said it is not safe to be squeezed into a large group of people.   Had a heluva time getting out.

This is why I don't go for GA anymore. At 40 years old, I'm all set rubbing up against (and being rubbed up against by) strangers, and at 5'7" I can't really see the stage from the back of the floor.

You youngsters can have your GA, I'll take reserved seating all day every day.

• Yeah was at MSG last night and thought it was fine but not blown away. 100% would rather see Queens in a club and wasn't really feeling Royal Blood so much. The poster is rad and glad i picked one up. 
    Oh man, you didn't like Royal Blood?

• Damn how many skeleton prints did you get haha
    I got 5.  3 are for other people whom asked for a poster.
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Yeah was at MSG last night and thought it was fine but not blown away. 100% would rather see Queens in a club and wasn't really feeling Royal Blood so much. The poster is rad and glad i picked one up. 
    Oh man, you didn't like Royal Blood?
    They weren't really my thing but Queens ripped!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596

Damn how many skeleton prints did you get haha
    I got 5.  3 are for other people whom asked for a poster.
    Did you end up with a foil?
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    Gosh, you guys are making me worry about their show not being very good. :frowning: Few things are worse than a club/theatre band playing an arena. Mudhoney hammered and clashed and bashed and horribled that lesson into me some time ago, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I'd be interested in the sound in an arena.  Their music is louder than most and I wonder if the sound would actually be better in an arena.   Has anyone done both on this tour?
    PJ_Soul said:
    Gosh, you guys are making me worry about their show not being very good. :frowning: Few things are worse than a club/theatre band playing an arena. Mudhoney hammered and clashed and bashed and horribled that lesson into me some time ago, lol.

I think we all prefer club shows.   If Pearl Jam played club shows for 10 years and then graduated to arenas we would all have the same fear that it wouldn't translate as well in an arena.  PJ were big from the beginning so we never really got used to them in small venues.   QOTSA is a 5 piece with a huge sound so I can't imagine they would be terrible in an arena. 
    edited October 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I think we all prefer club shows.   If Pearl Jam played club shows for 10 years and then graduated to arenas we would all have the same fear that it wouldn't translate as well in an arena.  PJ were big from the beginning so we never really got used to them in small venues.   QOTSA is a 5 piece with a huge sound so I can't imagine they would be terrible in an arena. 
    That's true I guess.
    I like club shows when the band plays a club best. But I don't think every band is better in a club. I think Pearl Jam excels in arenas. That is where they are BEST. I would not want PJ to be demoted to being a club/theatre band because they are best at getting the most energy out of an arena. And I would be stoked to see them in a really small venue for the novelty of it, but I still don't consider it my venue of choice for PJ. I understand why they went acoustic for Benny Hall, and thank goodness they did. Any other small venue examples for PJ outside of their first 6 months or whatever? I saw them in Missoula - that was around 6000 or 7000 or something, and I think that is about as small as they ought to go normally. I guess I kind of assumed the same would be true of QOTSA. I suppose I will find out how they do in an arena in the few months!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    How full was MSG last night? What is the average capacity of venues this tour?

Seeing them in Portland was fantastic. 1700 capacity and the place was packed and loud. But I could see how seeing them in a half full arena may not be as great for the fans or the band.  They came to Bangor a couple summers ago, where the capacity is 8500 and it wasn't even half full.  I felt bad for them.  They still did their job and put on a great show, but like others said, they are almost built more for the 4000-6000 capacity places.  

Kind of like how MMJ has seemed to accept or at least preferred playing in smaller venues.  They couldn't fill Agganis Arena for a NYE show years ago (not sure if that should be held against them as NYE outside of NYC could be tough to gauge) but always seem to be perfect for the smaller clubs/theaters.  It seems to work for them.

Seeing them in Portland was fantastic. 1700 capacity and the place was packed and loud. But I could see how seeing them in a half full arena may not be as great for the fans or the band.  They came to Bangor a couple summers ago, where the capacity is 8500 and it wasn't even half full.  I felt bad for them.  They still did their job and put on a great show, but like others said, they are almost built more for the 4000-6000 capacity places.  

Kind of like how MMJ has seemed to accept or at least preferred playing in smaller venues.  They couldn't fill Agganis Arena for a NYE show years ago (not sure if that should be held against them as NYE outside of NYC could be tough to gauge) but always seem to be perfect for the smaller clubs/theaters.  It seems to work for them.

Agganis Arena was probably 80-90% full Saturday night, the capacity is around 7,000. 

It was definitely a bigger crowd than last time they played there, it was probably only 60% capacity a few years ago. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894

Agganis Arena was probably 80-90% full Saturday night, the capacity is around 7,000. 

It was definitely a bigger crowd than last time they played there, it was probably only 60% capacity a few years ago. 
    That's good to hear.  I had friends that went a few years ago and said the same, maybe a little more than half full.  And then add on the Bangor show a year later, and I was worried they may not come back this way.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    nycrats said:

This is why I don't go for GA anymore. At 40 years old, I'm all set rubbing up against (and being rubbed up against by) strangers, and at 5'7" I can't really see the stage from the back of the floor.

It depends on the GA.  Most of the shows I go to now don't have the old school pits.  Mostly because the audience has aged right along with me.   Even back in the day if it was only the floor that was GA, but the seats were reserved.... you didn't have a super big pit... you could either endure the pit or stand 20 people back and be fine.

I can't remember the last show I went to that had a squish pit up front.  Maybe AIC/Deftones in 2010.   I bought GA tickets for QoTSA and it didn't even occur to me there might be a pit... I got old! :)
    Zod said:
    nycrats said:

It depends on the GA.  Most of the shows I go to now don't have the old school pits.  Mostly because the audience has aged right along with me.   Even back in the day if it was only the floor that was GA, but the seats were reserved.... you didn't have a super big pit... you could either endure the pit or stand 20 people back and be fine.

I can't remember the last show I went to that had a squish pit up front.  Maybe AIC/Deftones in 2010.   I bought GA tickets for QoTSA and it didn't even occur to me there might be a pit... I got old! :)
    I was surprised at the pit Saturday night in Boston at the end of the show (specifically during Song for the Dead). I was up in the first level and had a good view, it wasn’t the craziest I’ve seen, but bigger than I expected. 

RE: GA, I’ll take GA in a club all day every day but as far as arenas go, give me a seat in the lower bowl.

Closing with Song for the Dead is flat out phenomenal.  I felt bad as I had ear plugs in and couldn't truly experience the noise, but still great.

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That's true I guess.
    I like club shows when the band plays a club best. But I don't think every band is better in a club. I think Pearl Jam excels in arenas. That is where they are BEST. I would not want PJ to be demoted to being a club/theatre band because they are best at getting the most energy out of an arena. And I would be stoked to see them in a really small venue for the novelty of it, but I still don't consider it my venue of choice for PJ. I understand why the went acoustic for Benny Hall, and thank goodness they did. Any other small venue examples for PJ outside of their first 6 months or whatever? I saw them Missoula - that was around 6000 or 7000 or something, and I think that is about as small as they ought to go normally. I guess I kind of assumed the same would be true of QOTSA. I suppose I will find out how they do in an arena in the few months!
    I saw PJ in 06 in a 2800 seat it was great!!! Queens I first saw in a 1700 capacity and then recently in 10000. Both were great!
    #FHP
  • How full was MSG last night? What is the average capacity of venues this tour?

I'll say MSG was 80% full.  Upper middle seats weren't full on both sides.

I saw them in Portchester too where I think it holds 1700(?) and both were for GA and bioth times they killed.  

I saw them in 2014 at Barclays up in the 200's and the sound wasn't as good but the show was good.  Not a lot of standing people up thee with me, lol.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'd be interested in the sound in an arena.  Their music is louder than most and I wonder if the sound would actually be better in an arena.   Has anyone done both on this tour?
    I saw Queens open for NIN in an arena, and the sound was infinitely better than every other time I saw them in a theatre. The overall feel wasn't the same, mind you, but the sound was way better. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    I saw Queens open for NIN in an arena, and the sound was infinitely better than every other time I saw them in a theatre. The overall feel wasn't the same, mind you, but the sound was way better. 
    Overall feel trumps sound IMO, but only marginally. Both are so important. Anyway, I think they are using over half the arena in Vancouver, so big floor, and I'm thinking maybe 10,000 tix? That is just a guess though. It hadn't even occurred to me that QOTSA might not sell out or at least come close. Huh, I guess I'm out of touch, lol..... Shows with a bunch of empty seats... hmm. I don't think I've ever seen an arena show where that even happened before TBH. I can imagine it isn't so hot as far as vibe goes.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Overall feel trumps sound IMO, but only marginally. Both are so important. Anyway, I think they are using over half the arena in Vancouver, so big floor, and I'm thinking maybe 10,000 tix? That is just a guess though. It even occurred to me that QOTSA might not sell out or at least come close. Huh, I guess I'm out of touch, lol..... Shows with a bunch of empty seats... hmm. I don't think I've ever seen an arena show where that even happened before TBH. I can imagine it isn't so hot as far as vibe goes.
    yes, but when a band like Queens is so fucking loud that it hurts to be there, sound trumps feel. Ministry almost made me, literally, go deaf. My ears were ringing for 5 days after that show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Overall feel trumps sound IMO, but only marginally. Both are so important. Anyway, I think they are using over half the arena in Vancouver, so big floor, and I'm thinking maybe 10,000 tix? That is just a guess though. It even occurred to me that QOTSA might not sell out or at least come close. Huh, I guess I'm out of touch, lol..... Shows with a bunch of empty seats... hmm. I don't think I've ever seen an arena show where that even happened before TBH. I can imagine it isn't so hot as far as vibe goes.
    yes, but when a band like Queens is so fucking loud that it hurts to be there, sound trumps feel. Ministry almost made me, literally, go deaf. My ears were ringing for 5 days after that show. 
    Oh, that's true. That is what Mudhoney's problem was in Missoula when they opened for PJ. It was so loud that the sound waves were literally making people feel sick. Many people said that if it had gone on any longer they would have started to panic and been forced to walk out of the show. I also found Judas Priest to be borderline painful, to the point where I couldn't even focus on anything - I don't remember much of anything they did on stage because I was too overwhelmed by the loudness. I thought you meant sound quality, not loudness.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh, that's true. That is what Mudhoney's problem was in Missoula when they opened for PJ. It was so loud that the sound waves were literally making people feel sick. Many people said that if it had gone on any longer they would have started to panic and been forced to walk out of the show. I also found Judas Priest to be borderline painful, to the point where I couldn't even focus on anything - I don't remember much of anything they did on stage because I was too overwhelmed by the loudness. I thought you meant sound quality, not loudness.
    kind of the whole package. if you are talking strictly sound quality, as long as it isn't shit, then yes, I agree, feel trumps sound. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I was on the rail at MSG.  After 2 songs of Royal Blood, I left.  The bass was vibrating my ears and my stomach.  It was terrible. 
  • CopperTom said:
    I was on the rail at MSG.  After 2 songs of Royal Blood, I left.  The bass was vibrating my ears and my stomach.  It was terrible. 
    Ear plugs...  Ever since I saw Dillinger Escape Plan last year my ears have not been the same.  I'm always packing ear plugs because some bands only know how to play at 11.
    Remember, all the bands are wearing ear plugs.    I don't need them for Pearl Jam but definitely for QOTSA.  A lot of people were wearing them at QOTSA. I think people are catching on that you can damage your hearing at these shows. 
    Remember, all the bands are wearing ear plugs.    I don't need them for Pearl Jam but definitely for QOTSA.  A lot of people were wearing them at QOTSA. I think people are catching on that you can damage your hearing at these shows. 
    Hearing protection is a must. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    http://www.decibelcar.com/menugeneric/87.html

Fun list of the effects of varying volume levels.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That's true I guess.
    I like club shows when the band plays a club best. But I don't think every band is better in a club. I think Pearl Jam excels in arenas. That is where they are BEST. I would not want PJ to be demoted to being a club/theatre band because they are best at getting the most energy out of an arena. And I would be stoked to see them in a really small venue for the novelty of it, but I still don't consider it my venue of choice for PJ. I understand why they went acoustic for Benny Hall, and thank goodness they did. Any other small venue examples for PJ outside of their first 6 months or whatever? I saw them in Missoula - that was around 6000 or 7000 or something, and I think that is about as small as they ought to go normally. I guess I kind of assumed the same would be true of QOTSA. I suppose I will find out how they do in an arena in the few months!
    I saw Pearl Jam do one bar show.  The Commodore in Vancouver in 2000.  Holds about 1000 people.   It was pretty cool seeing them in a bar, and the show was good, but it doesn't crack my top concert list.     If you get towards the front of bigger venues, you still see pretty good, but the energy of 20000 or 40000 people is amazing.  I'll complain about stadium shows, but if you're at the front of a stadium show, its amazing :)
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Talk about Kyuss, Them Crooked Vultures, Eagles of Death Metal or any other related QOTSA related band......