I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Finally found this at the right price. Opened the package and saw this picture on the back... just so sad. 

It's so strange to grieve someone who I never met. We can all be grateful he left so much music behind for us all, and I would think that also means a great deal to his family. Felt like he'd be around forever... far too young. But I can also imagine living 10 lifetimes and still not having an impact like he had. 
    This is still available on Amazon, Import_CD, etc.  Was there something unique about the version you just bought?
    Nothing special. I default to getting stuff on discogs. I like to find stuff that’s opened and unplayed, near mint or close to it, rather than pay full price just for a plastic wrapper. The asking prices on this (and a few Soundgarden albums) were crazy high ever since his death. I have had the CD for a while and am just building a vinyl collection. This was a must-have for me. 
    Man, I've had nothing but trouble ordering on discogs.  I usually go there when I'm looking for a specific pressing, but I find a lot of the sellers don't bother to check the numbers before they list them.. or list them in the most expensive one even though that's not the version.  For example, I was looking for a purple Synchronicity and three different people listed them under purple and when they arrived, it wasn't.  Everyone refunded me and I ended up keeping the record because they didn't want to pay the return shipping, but it was super annoying.  I finally got the right one from Ebay where I could see the # and color.  
    But man is that RL Synchronicity worth it.. :wink:
    Sure is.  I remember asking you about 20 questions about how to find and define that one because of all of the nuances to the signature (RL), covers, colors, etc.  Took me a good 3 months and a bunch of failed purchases... but I got it now and it's excellent.  So punchy on the bass and drums.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Finally found this at the right price. Opened the package and saw this picture on the back... just so sad. 

It's so strange to grieve someone who I never met. We can all be grateful he left so much music behind for us all, and I would think that also means a great deal to his family. Felt like he'd be around forever... far too young. But I can also imagine living 10 lifetimes and still not having an impact like he had. 
    This is still available on Amazon, Import_CD, etc.  Was there something unique about the version you just bought?
    Nothing special. I default to getting stuff on discogs. I like to find stuff that’s opened and unplayed, near mint or close to it, rather than pay full price just for a plastic wrapper. The asking prices on this (and a few Soundgarden albums) were crazy high ever since his death. I have had the CD for a while and am just building a vinyl collection. This was a must-have for me. 
    Man, I've had nothing but trouble ordering on discogs.  I usually go there when I'm looking for a specific pressing, but I find a lot of the sellers don't bother to check the numbers before they list them.. or list them in the most expensive one even though that's not the version.  For example, I was looking for a purple Synchronicity and three different people listed them under purple and when they arrived, it wasn't.  Everyone refunded me and I ended up keeping the record because they didn't want to pay the return shipping, but it was super annoying.  I finally got the right one from Ebay where I could see the # and color.  
    I've had a few duds on Discogs but even worse luck with eBay.  I tend more toward Discogs with two fairly hard and fast rules:  Only order from sellers with 100% positive feedback (unless ALL negative feedback is obviously bogus) and almost always order only from sellers who add in worded descriptions of the vinyl and sleeve.  Simply rating the vinyl and record isn't enough since ratings are ambiguous- I want a written description.  Also, I tend to avoid anything sold as "mint" and instead go with "near-mint".  Goldmine suggests that "near mint" is a better descriptor even for sealed records since sealed records themselves can have flaws and records that look flawless can have flaws not seen by the eye.  Experienced sellers are aware of this notion.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I've had a few duds on Discogs but even worse luck with eBay.  I tend more toward Discogs with two fairly hard and fast rules:  Only order from sellers with 100% positive feedback (unless ALL negative feedback is obviously bogus) and almost always order only from sellers who add in worded descriptions of the vinyl and sleeve.  Simply rating the vinyl and record isn't enough since ratings are ambiguous- I want a written description.  Also, I tend to avoid anything sold as "mint" and instead go with "near-mint".  Goldmine suggests that "near mint" is a better descriptor even for sealed records since sealed records themselves can have flaws and records that look flawless can have flaws not seen by the eye.  Experienced sellers are aware of this notion.
    My luck has been good on Ebay.  I like being able to see good pictures along with the UPC number so I can get a good understanding of the quality of that record.  Best way, of course, is local record stores.  Unfortunately if you are looking for something very specific, that can be fruitless.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My luck has been good on Ebay.  I like being able to see good pictures along with the UPC number so I can get a good understanding of the quality of that record.  Best way, of course, is local record stores.  Unfortunately if you are looking for something very specific, that can be fruitless.  
    For years I wanted to get a Misfits Bullet single.  I was aware of the fakes out there but then they go and remake it and it's really hard to decipher between a fake and the real thing now. 

No way I'd ever buy it off of Discogs without being to see it.!
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I just want wildflowers...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    MedozK said:
    Loving my Tom Petty Volume 1 box I recently picked up.
    I started from the first record on and realized that maybe I don't like him as much as I thought I did...
    I’m kinda the same way. I really like Last DJ of all albums, but I think that, Greatest Hits and maybe one or two others are musts for my collections. I might pick up the boxes if I fall into a steal for them.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I too like it that LPs sold on eBay have photos but I've had some bad luck that way even with retouched photos or lighting on photos that hide or conceal flaws.  Yeah, local stores are great but where live they don't offer much.  I rarely find things I'm looking for even when I go down to Sacramento. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I too like it that LPs sold on eBay have photos but I've had some bad luck that way even with retouched photos or lighting on photos that hide or conceal flaws.  Yeah, local stores are great but where live they don't offer much.  I rarely find things I'm looking for even when I go down to Sacramento. 
    I've had much worse luck on ebay compared to discogs. I've been burned via ebay a few times, both with fakes and really inaccurate condition descriptions. I think the grading and the seller ratings on discogs are much more reliable. I'll still use both, but if I had to choose one to disappear forever and one to stay, I'd definitely favour discogs.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Margo Price - All American Made
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    Gang of Four - Entertainment 
    Phish - Rift
    Okkervil River - The Stage Names
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Eels - Blinking Lights box set
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    Phish - Rift
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Okkervil River severely underrated band - the stand ins is also another great album by them. 
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PB11041 said:
    Phish - Rift
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Gang of Four is a top 10 fave band for me, great choice..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. $3 NM at a garage sale over the weekend.
    21% Off Your Order Monday 10/30! (excludes gift cards & sale priced items)
    Free Standard Shipping on all US orders over $75!

21% Off Your Order Monday 10/30! (excludes gift cards & sale priced items)
    Free Standard Shipping on all US orders over $75!

I love Newbury... although I'm on a self imposed buying hiatus due to all the PJ vinyls ordered, Black Friday, and a bunch of new records just received..
    But I suppose a few new ones never hurt anyone...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Picked up a great copy of Led Zeppelin III for $10.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    edited November 2017
    Coffin Break- Psychosis @Santos L. Halper bands Lp. Ripper!
    Post edited by H.Chinaski on
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Heavy Blanket 
    Earthless Meets Heavy Blanket - In a Dutch Haze
    Kula Shaker K2.0
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • WOW that’s one hell of a deal for such a great double album. Score 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'

• Clear indie store exclusive. 
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • WOW that’s one hell of a deal for such a great double album. Score 

Crazy awesome deal. If I didn’t already have the original and the repress, i would be all over this.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Original pressing of u2 boy: $8

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats - Live at Red Rocks 2017

(It was supposed to arrive today, but Amazon just sent an email saying it will be delayed)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

Second-hand:

Australian original from 1984.
    edited November 2017
    Second-hand:

Original 1993 Euro pressing.

So I got pretty lucky with this one, found it for NZ$46, which is about $US30, in top condition too, sounds much better than the reissue I had from a few years back.. :)
    Post edited by reesdog on
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Grabbed the reissue of R.E.M.s Automatic for the People today.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Pearl Jam - Self Titled
    Soundgarden - Superunknown 20th anniversary edition
    The Cult - Sonic Temple Original 1989 US press.