Options

Thin Lizzy

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited June 2007 in Other Music
I'm not sure how they are perceived in the states and else where but I always thought that these where a great band.
Two of three different stages of the band.
The first being with Eric bell.
the second with robertson and gorham
then snowy white , gorham and gorham and skyes.

Live and dangerous in the top ten live albums of all time.

anyone like them, have seen them etc....?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    Jailbreak makes my top 10 album list of all time.

Yes, I've seen them live....but sadly it was the current lineup. Never saw the classic lineup.

Live and Dangerous is indeed classic. I wish they would remaster that disk because it sounds like shit.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    I got a box set off a mate with old bsides etc. Some amazing stuff on it.

Yet again another great IRish singer that died along with Rory gallagher before I got to see them.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fada wrote:
    I got a box set off a mate with old bsides etc. Some amazing stuff on it.

Yet again another great IRish singer that died along with Rory gallagher before I got to see them.

rory's dead?

his records sucked. prove me wrong.
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,100
    brain of c wrote:
    rory's dead?

You have made me laugh in 3 different threads in the last few minutes. Thank you!
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    brain of c wrote:
    rory's dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04e-cw61_k
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    rory's dead?

Listen to irish tour one of the greatest albums of all time.
    A track off it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxiEMpcI83E&mode=related&search=

what happened to Eric bell after 74?
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    fada wrote:
    A track off it

Bell had a big time breakdown. Couldn't face the crowd or his abuse problems all in one go. So he kind of faded away. Or got taken away. ;) A great fourth side to an album is on Live/Life when all the old axe players come out and do their thing for a specific song. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

I wanted to see the "new" form of Tin a couple of years back, when they were touring with Deep Purple. Well to make a long and quite pathetic story short. We ended up being late for the gig and I missed Lizzy. Being one of, if not my fave bands of all time, I was very disappointed in my friend who I blame squarely for the missed show. Deep Purple were pretty good, mind you. But I wanted to hear Lizzy live. So I keep my fingers crossed that they will make their way back here so I can try again.

You can just listen or if you like to read lyrics to Lizzy and watch Phil in his tailspin. Poor bastard, laying it on the line and who knows if any help came his way.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    "Sun goes down" has it all doesn't it.

Did Bell tour with any bands after? I loved his guitar playing. Wasn't it speed and alcohol that put him in his state
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Love Lizzy :D:D

Bell actually played at a tribute night in Dublin with Gary Moore in 2005 along with Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson plus Downey on drums, you can pick it up pretty cheap on DVD now.

Current line up (John Sykes fronted) is touring UK with Queensryche in support during November & December.

I saw them a few years back and it's a good show, worth seeing although Sykes between song banter gets a bit annoying :(

Best moment of 2006? Pearl Jam covering Boys Are Back In Town at the Point and Mike with his Lynott t-shirt on :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    didn't see the t-shirt on mike. I love the song "Philoema"
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    didn't see the t-shirt on mike. I love the song "Philoema"

I missed the tee on the night, I was over the other side but was sent it afterwards... here on my last.fm page......

http://www.last.fm/user/LeavinHere/

Too many great songs to mention from all the way through the different stages for me, Lizzy & Pearl Jam are my all time favourite bands
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • Options
    One of the coolest 70s rock bands for sure.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    UKDave wrote:
    Best moment of 2006? Pearl Jam covering Boys Are Back In Town at the Point and Mike with his Lynott t-shirt on :D:D

Mike came out with the opening band (the name escapes me) in Thunder Bay and they did Cowboy Song which I really dug. When I read that PJ did Boys are back....I almost cried. That would have been cool to hear.

I agree fada that Sun Goes Down may just be one of the best songs ever written. And I know that says a lot.
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Mike came out with the opening band (the name escapes me) in Thunder Bay and they did Cowboy Song which I really dug. When I read that PJ did Boys are back....I almost cried. That would have been cool to hear.

I agree fada that Sun Goes Down may just be one of the best songs ever written. And I know that says a lot.

I couldn't believe it either... I had my Lynott t-shirt on too... they fucked it up though... :rolleyes: :D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • Options
    UKDave wrote:
    I couldn't believe it either... I had my Lynott t-shirt on too... they fucked it up though... :rolleyes: :D

Ah they fuck their owns songs up. :eek: So ya gotta give credit where credit is due. :)
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Ah they fuck their owns songs up. :eek: So ya gotta give credit where credit is due. :)

True true... and they did finish that night with Fuckin Up in admittance so hey it's all good... :D
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    VERY VERY VERY underrated band.

I've been rockin to 'Jailbreak' for the past week.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    fada wrote:
    I'm not sure how they are perceived in the states and else where but I always thought that these where a great band.
    Two of three different stages of the band.
    The first being with Eric bell.
    the second with robertson and gorham
    then snowy white , gorham and gorham and skyes.

Live and dangerous in the top ten live albums of all time.

anyone like them, have seen them etc....?
    how the hell could you miss out GARY MOORE!?!?!?!??!Black Rose ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cornell pwns u
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    fada wrote:
    A track off it

bad song. highlights his minimal talent. horrible keyboard fills. okay he can really bend a string. so can my two year old. at least my boy is funny. this song is why he's not famous........not special....boring. god, that record must have caused train wrecks.
  • Options
    ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    even flow? wrote:
    Bell had a big time breakdown. Couldn't face the crowd or his abuse problems all in one go. So he kind of faded away. Or got taken away. ;) A great fourth side to an album is on Live/Life when all the old axe players come out and do their thing for a specific song. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

it is to my eternal disappointment that i was offered a ticket for that show at the hammersmith odeon... and i couldn't go.

nevermind, i thought. lizzy will be back together in a few years and i can see them then. unfortunately it was never to be and lizzy are the one of the few bands who are no longer going who i regret not seeing live.

i just can't bring myself to go and see the version of lizzy touring now. it great that those songs are still being played (and its nice that john sykes plays as a tribute to phil lynott as sykes was well shafted at the time) but without phil it just wouldn't seem right to me.
  • Options
    Arctangent wrote:
    it is to my eternal disappointment that i was offered a ticket for that show at the hammersmith odeon... and i couldn't go.

nevermind, i thought. lizzy will be back together in a few years and i can see them then. unfortunately it was never to be and lizzy are the one of the few bands who are no longer going who i regret not seeing live.

i just can't bring myself to go and see the version of lizzy touring now. it great that those songs are still being played (and its nice that john sykes plays as a tribute to phil lynott as sykes was well shafted at the time) but without phil it just wouldn't seem right to me.

Obviously nowhere near the same but you get Scott Gorham & John Sykes and it's nearest thing you can get so I think I'll be going again, more like a tribute band with one or two of the original members, worth supporting though... :o
    Astoria Crew
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
  • Options
    ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    UKDave wrote:
    Obviously nowhere near the same but you get Scott Gorham & John Sykes and it's nearest thing you can get so I think I'll be going again, more like a tribute band with one or two of the original members, worth supporting though... :o

don't get me wrong, i don't think its wrong of them or that they shouldn't be doing it. i know sykes says on stage that it is a tribute to phil lynott, which is nice. i know someone who say them supporting deep purple and said they were fantastic. so good luck to them. thin lizzy's music is music that is worth hearing, even after all these years.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I can't tell you how many times I've read good stuff about Thin Lizzy yet somehow never managed to find time to dig into their catalog.  And then the other day I came across this excellent documentary on the band (in a thrift store for two bucks!):

I'll definitely be getting into there stuff more now!

A couple of classic numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGZqDzb__bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC6Cgb8nHwk

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Great thread!

Jailbreak was an unreal album. My buddies and I listened to it endlessly.

Jailbreak and Boys are the classic tunes... but Romeo and the Lonely Girl and Running Back are songs I love.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Great thread!

Jailbreak was an unreal album. My buddies and I listened to it endlessly.

Jailbreak and Boys are the classic tunes... but Romeo and the Lonely Girl and Running Back are songs I love.
    Oh man, for sure- Jailbreak is killer through and through!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I've heard their story is interesting but I don't know it.

that said, I can't get enthused about TL.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    edited October 2017
    I dig some Thin Lizzy..... Good stuff... Cowboy Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwN-SHV5rA
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Attaway77 said:
    I dig some Thin Lizzy..... Good stuff... Cowboy Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwN-SHV5rA
    Great song!

Speaking of Cowboy Song, anybody read this yet?  Just came out earlier this year.  I have to get my hands on a copy soon!

• Options
    UKDave wrote:

I listened to Sun Goes Down and it's not my taste at all...