The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I need more grits in my life.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Sounds good!

And, I also love spinach.  However....there is a home for good lettuce. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    rgambs said:
    I've actually never tried Feta with eggs so I probably should.
    I don't think my mind is open enough to change it on this debate, me and cheddar are just too tight.

Sometimes I'll go feta and then top it with a light sprinkling of cheddar...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    I've actually never tried Feta with eggs so I probably should.
    I don't think my mind is open enough to change it on this debate, me and cheddar are just too tight.

Sometimes I'll go feta and then top it with a light sprinkling of cheddar...
    How decadent!  Jambe, scrape and butter the orgy pit!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Chili Rellenos
    Chorizo and Eggs
    Cuban black beans and rice.
    Yum!

Spent the day making and canning hot sauce and bbq sauce, I'm whooped!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That sounds badass.  And that can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
    That sounds badass.  And that can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
    Probably will be too lol
    I've got poblanos coming out of my ears.

Left to right: Carolina Reaper BBQ sauce, Thai chili paste, Louisiana style hot sauce, and Bajan style hot mustard with Scotch Bonnets
    Holy crap!

(Any concern about running a grill on top of a keg?). Nice keg stand!
    Holy crap!

(Any concern about running a grill on top of a keg?). Nice keg stand!
    Haha yeah, the keg is empty.
    It's from my first keg party when I was a sophomore in high school, I kept it as a memento because I thought it would make a nice little table well worth the 10$ deposit.
    rgambs said:

Left to right: Carolina Reaper BBQ sauce, Thai chili paste, Louisiana style hot sauce, and Bajan style hot mustard with Scotch Bonnets
    That's awesome, man.  All looks amazing.  Are you freezing some of it or will it all keep? 

Talk to me about the hot mustard.  How'd you do that?
    The bbq sauce, which is a recipe that my brother's old lady pulled together from a few others, will freeze.  He named it Reaper's Blood, which I think is corny, but oh well, it was his to name.
    The pH is just on the edge for water bath canning and we all have room in the freezers so I didn't bother getting the pressure canner out.
    The rest will keep.

The mustard was a lark and it came out great!
    I found a recipe online that was simple and followed it very loosely with some tweaks.  All the typical ingredients you'd expect.
    About 15 whole scotch bonnets, an onion, and a few cloves of garlic in the magic bullet.
    Cup of vinegar, white and apple cider mixed
    2 tablespoons or so of brown sugar, some lime juice, couple hunks of pineapple.
    1/4 cup yellow mustard and 1/2 cup mustard powder
    Dash of curry and a double dash of cumin
    Salt

It came out sweet almost to a relish level, which I like, but next time I'll make a sweet and a not sweet batch.
    It's hot as you'd expect from a sauce with a handful of whole habaneros per jar, I wonder how hot it's gonna be in a month.  Yee haw.

The Reaper's Blood has 9 peppers, without seeds, in 13 pints of sauce, and is seriously hot.
    It's as hot as the mustard with whole habaneros.
    rgambs said:
    The bbq sauce, which is a recipe that my brother's old lady pulled together from a few others, will freeze.  He named it Reaper's Blood, which I think is corny, but oh well, it was his to name.
    The pH is just on the edge for water bath canning and we all have room in the freezers so I didn't bother getting the pressure canner out.
    The rest will keep.

The mustard was a lark and it came out great!
    I found a recipe online that was simple and followed it very loosely with some tweaks.  All the typical ingredients you'd expect.
    About 15 whole scotch bonnets, an onion, and a few cloves of garlic in the magic bullet.
    Cup of vinegar, white and apple cider mixed
    2 tablespoons or so of brown sugar, some lime juice, couple hunks of pineapple.
    1/4 cup yellow mustard and 1/2 cup mustard powder
    Dash of curry and a double dash of cumin
    Salt

It came out sweet almost to a relish level, which I like, but next time I'll make a sweet and a not sweet batch.
    It's hot as you'd expect from a sauce with a handful of whole habaneros per jar, I wonder how hot it's gonna be in a month.  Yee haw.

The Reaper's Blood has 9 peppers, without seeds, in 13 pints of sauce, and is seriously hot.
    It's as hot as the mustard with whole habaneros.
    Love all this. Awesome stuff.  I am going to have to take a swing at the mustard.  Have done plenty of hot and BBQ sauces, but never tried mustard.
    It's just like any other hot sauce, you can't hardly screw it up!  
    I love that you can add peppers or sugar to adjust it later if it's not properly balanced.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jesus, gambs.  Beautiful.

And fuck Blue Oyster Cult!  I now fear the Reaper('s Blood).
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Go go, Hedozilla!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Toke-e-YO =)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Had a burrito bowl from Chipotle for lunch.  I never get tired of Chipotle...good stuff.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I finally tried quinoa. I cooked red quinoa and put white beans and tofu on top. I was hungry within a half hour, but I felt wired like I had a shot of espresso. The flavor came from spices and onions.

I look forward to figuring out the different flavors of the different colors of quinoa. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I finally tried quinoa. I cooked red quinoa and put white beans and tofu on top. I was hungry within a half hour, but I felt wired like I had a shot of espresso. The flavor came from spices and onions.

I look forward to figuring out the different flavors of the different colors of quinoa. 
    I can't stand quinoa. Love me some cous cous though.
    Had a burrito bowl from Chipotle for lunch.  I never get tired of Chipotle...good stuff.
    I haven't been back since they killed have the country via poop.  I want to, just can't bring myself to do it with all the good options out there.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I haven't been back since they killed have the country via poop.  I want to, just can't bring myself to do it with all the good options out there.

Haha yeah, those were a nice few months with barely any lines at chipotle!  It's a nice and quick option for lunch during the week.
  • Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    That looks good!
    Put a pork loin in a brine bath overnight for roasting tomorrow.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    In Brooklyn .  Best pizza I ever had. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Wow, best ever!
    What place in Brooklyn