Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    1. Strop should have pitched the 8th last night.  I guess Joe didn't learn from last year about overusing his closer.  If there is a save situation tonight, don't expect it to go well.
    2. Since they went ahead with Davis anyway, why didn't they bunt him with Jay on and no one out?  If executed, Jay would've scored on the Almora single giving us a much needed insurance run.  If not, the result is no different than what happened anyway.
    3. We still haven't plated a run by advancing a baserunner.
    4. That third base umpire can burn in hell.
    5. If last night was it: Thank you, Jake Arrieta!
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    bflynn1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    I haven't posted in this thread so far for the NLCS so that may be why we're losing. This oughta fix it.
    Told you guys
    So we have you to blame for all the mental anguish we've endured the past several days? Kind of a dick move, don't you think?

:lol:
    My bad haha. Just going to go ahead and get my post in for today so we're covered tonight. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Was a good year.  Just not the best team in the league.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Yeah the combination of the poor pitching and hitting was entirely too much to overcome at once. I honestly didn't expect us to make it back to the World Series. 
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    edited October 2017
    bflynn1 said:
    Yeah the combination of the poor pitching and hitting was entirely too much to overcome at once. I honestly didn't expect us to make it back to the World Series. 
    After the season we had, I can't say I expected it either.....I didn't expect us to beat the Nats.  But watching Rizzo and Bryant suck balls has been a bit much.  Hell, if Rizzo wanted to bat .900 this series, he could have by laying one down the 3rd base line every time.  Rondon better be fucking released. 

I'd entertain offers for Bryant too..... Before everyone else figures out he's the right handed Adam Dunn.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Gtilley8 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    After the season we had, I can't say I expected it either.....I didn't expect us to beat the Nats.  But watching Rizzo and Bryant suck balls has been a bit much.  Hell, if Rizzo wanted to bat .900 this series, he could have by laying one down the 3rd base line every time.  Rondon better be fucking released. 

I'd entertain offers for Bryant too..... Before everyone else figures out he's the right handed Adam Dunn.  
    Entertain offers for Bryant? He'll no. He's way to versatile. He can work on  lowering his k rate. 

Obviously I would have liked to see them hit better in the playoffs.  But we have a great nucleus. We are a playoff team for years to come.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Gtilley8 said:
    We're going to go ahead and call this part "over reaction Thursday".
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ah, the yang side of having a winning ball club after 100 years. Don’t trade off your team just yet Cubs fans. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Gtilley8 said:
    bflynn1 said:

Entertain offers for Bryant? He'll no. He's way to versatile. He can work on  lowering his k rate. 

Obviously I would have liked to see them hit better in the playoffs.  But we have a great nucleus. We are a playoff team for years to come.
    Versatility is absolutely where he provides the most upside.  And we do have a great nucleus.  Maybe the Adam Dunn reference was a bit harsh - based on his defense alone.  But, man, we've heard about him trying to lower his K rate for 2 years now.  I haven't looked at the numbers, but my eyes and memory tell me not much has changed.  Maybe I'm wrong there.  He just seems to swing at about as many pitches in the dirt as Baez does that are neck high.  

Ah, the yang side of having a winning ball club after 100 years. Don’t trade off your team just yet Cubs fans. 
    I said entertain offers.  Not trade the team.  Let's be realistic here.  I do, however, think that Rondon should be released by 9 am, or whatever time he shows up to clean out his locker.  

I didn't think what I said above was all that crazy - even after a few pops last night at my sister's rehearsal dinner.  I'll give you the Bryant comment.....even so, I never said the word "trade."
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • They won last year. They made it to the second round of the playoffs this year. It would have been great if they went to the World Series but they still beat out the Washington nationals and they were a great team this year. I don't know why anyone would be thinking anyone would be leaving the team.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    There'd be 29 teams interested in Bryant.  He's one of the best players in baseball.  His K rate has gone way down.  199 Ks his rookie year, 154 last year and down to 128 this year.  I'm not even a Cubs fan...I love watching this guy play.  He's a guy like Jeter that you never let get away and should be a Cub for life.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah, you don't trade Bryant.  That is insanity.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    good. now ed can get back to making music. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Kris Bryant strikeouts by season:
    2015 - 199... 35.60%
    2016 - 154... 25.53%
    2017 - 128... 23.31%

Kris Bryant walks by season:
    2015 - 77... 13.77%
    2016 - 75... 12.43%
    2017 - 95... 17.30%

Kris Bryant K/BB by season:
    2015 - 2.58
    2016 - 2.05
    2017 - 1.35
    I don't foresee Rondon in a Cubs uniform next season.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Considering they were barely a .500 team at the break, I was shocked they got as far as they did.
    The Cubs were the least talented of the 4 remaining teams and it played out that way.
    They need to fill some holes but there is no reason to think they shouldn't make a legit run next year.  In the mean time....go Blackhawks!  
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I LIke this Cubs fan.....

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Rondon, Lackey and Arrietta will all most certainly be gone next season. 

Washington just dumped Dusty, so they've already become tougher next season.

Need some good work from Theo and Jed.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    mca47 said:
    Considering they were barely a .500 team at the break, I was shocked they got as far as they did.
    The Cubs were the least talented of the 4 remaining teams and it played out that way.
    They need to fill some holes but there is no reason to think they shouldn't make a legit run next year.  In the mean time....go Blackhawks!  
    After Rondon gave up the grand slam last night my immediate thought was "Well, it's officially hockey season now."  Let's Go Hawks!
    Looks like Arietta shaved his beard.  When you lose you realize the beards just look stupid.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Trade Bryant?? Jeez..

Bryant, Rizz (for now), Contrearas, and Russell are locked in..cant trade these guys. Accepting offers for everyone else.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Looks like Arietta shaved his beard.  When you lose you realize the beards just look stupid.
    He does that after every season. 
    He does that after every season. 

Ah.  He should spare us all from that filthy rat's nest next year.
    Nationals have reached out to Dave Martinez for managerial position.
    Nationals have reached out to Dave Martinez for managerial position.
    They have already gotten better by getting rid of Dusty. They will be super good next year, then Harper will be a Cub! Muahhahahaha
    John Williamson has some impressive stuff down in Single A. I’d like to see him work his way up. Cueto type lefty.
    And yes I know Cueto is a righty, but this guy looks like him as a lefty. Has the same deceptive timing moves.
    As long as he's not like 2017 Cueto. 
    edited October 2017
    True dat. From what I’ve seen he looks like 15-16 Cueto. Hope he moves up thru the ranks quickly next season and continues to bring his stuff to each level.