Options

Gord Downie has passed away

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was prepared for this day - I think it was harder for me when I found out he had terminal brain cancer than it was to wake up to this terrible news. Nonetheless, I'm so, so sad about this. I feel the void. Never again will we have someone like Gord. :heartbreak:
    I guess it gives the brain time to adapt and adjust to the concept :(   I'm a bit bummed but I don't feel gutpunched like the day I found out he had terminal brain cancer or out of nowhere death of Chris Cornell.

It's a big loss though.  I've been listening to the hip for a long time.   I think I've seen them 4 times with the first one being here in Victoria when they brought Another Roadside Attraction to Western Speedway (early 90s.. I remember I was in high school). 

I also feel sad about the year in whole.    Most of my favourite bands are older than me.  I expected that one day I might outlive all my favourites.   I figured that would be an issue in my 70s or 80s.    I didn't expect to lose this many by the time I was 40 :(
    For sure, I'm feeling the same way. Chris, Tom Petty, Gord, all in quick succession. I also found out that an old friend of mine died of a fucking drug overdose in a hotel room a couple weeks ago (and he had a high profile job so it got all over the news - he'd be absolutely mortified). I hadn't seen him in probably 10 years, but I am definitely still feeling that loss as well. Too much death in my life right now. And yeah, as I grimly mentioned in another thread recently... we'd all better mentally/emotionally steel ourselves, because it's only going to get worse from here. We're at that age now. It's a huge bummer. :frowning:
    The end of your paragraph reminded me from a quote that my brain remembers everytime I lose something I like/love.  I couldn't remember where it was from so I googled it and it turned out it was from the last Indiana Jones movie:

We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving you things and starts taking them away.

I think it's the hardest part of growing older.    It's something I didn't think of when I was young.   It's not so much about me getting older (at least not at this point), it's watching everyone else around me grow older, and starting to outlive those people :(  That's the hard part so far.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I was prepared for this day - I think it was harder for me when I found out he had terminal brain cancer than it was to wake up to this terrible news. Nonetheless, I'm so, so sad about this. I feel the void. Never again will we have someone like Gord. :heartbreak:
    I guess it gives the brain time to adapt and adjust to the concept :(   I'm a bit bummed but I don't feel gutpunched like the day I found out he had terminal brain cancer or out of nowhere death of Chris Cornell.

It's a big loss though.  I've been listening to the hip for a long time.   I think I've seen them 4 times with the first one being here in Victoria when they brought Another Roadside Attraction to Western Speedway (early 90s.. I remember I was in high school). 

I also feel sad about the year in whole.    Most of my favourite bands are older than me.  I expected that one day I might outlive all my favourites.   I figured that would be an issue in my 70s or 80s.    I didn't expect to lose this many by the time I was 40 :(
    For sure, I'm feeling the same way. Chris, Tom Petty, Gord, all in quick succession. I also found out that an old friend of mine died of a fucking drug overdose in a hotel room a couple weeks ago (and he had a high profile job so it got all over the news - he'd be absolutely mortified). I hadn't seen him in probably 10 years, but I am definitely still feeling that loss as well. Too much death in my life right now. And yeah, as I grimly mentioned in another thread recently... we'd all better mentally/emotionally steel ourselves, because it's only going to get worse from here. We're at that age now. It's a huge bummer. :frowning:
    The end of your paragraph reminded me from a quote that my brain remembers everytime I lose something I like/love.  I couldn't remember where it was from so I googled it and it turned out it was from the last Indiana Jones movie:

We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving you things and starts taking them away.

I think it's the hardest part of growing older.    It's something I didn't think of when I was young.   It's not so much about me getting older (at least not at this point), it's watching everyone else around me grow older, and starting to outlive those people :(  That's the hard part so far.

I totally agree. I only just recently really started looking at life in this way, just because reality brought me to it. I never really thought about it either. I mean, I knew it to be true, but I ignored it for as long as I could, since it wouldn't do me any good to dwell on it before it came to me. I can no longer escape it ... and that blows. It blows at high dough, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:

For sure, I'm feeling the same way. Chris, Tom Petty, Gord, all in quick succession. I also found out that an old friend of mine died of a fucking drug overdose in a hotel room a couple weeks ago (and he had a high profile job so it got all over the news - he'd be absolutely mortified). I hadn't seen him in probably 10 years, but I am definitely still feeling that loss as well. Too much death in my life right now. And yeah, as I grimly mentioned in another thread recently... we'd all better mentally/emotionally steel ourselves, but it's only going to get worse from here. We're at that age now. It's a huge bummer. :frowning:
    A cousin killed herself two weeks ago and I felt the same void (and still feel it today). Hugs to all of you fine folks all over the world; life is too short and I'm glad I get to learn from you all.
    Oh man, I'm sorry about your cousin. :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    echoing the statements above, I too have come to the realization that 20 years ago, I never thought about death much. My own, of others, of my heroes, etc. Save for Kurt, it didn't affect me except when a grandparent passed. 

at 43, my wife and I still have both our parents (mine are 70, hers are 80), but we know it's going to happen soon. And it's going to be life-changing. Life just gets harder/shittier. 

if only I had known then what I know now.........
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Not the biggest Hip fan, but this is indeed a sad day for Canada.
    R.I.P. Gord, and thank you for your contributions to our country.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    damn RIP Mr Downie i didn't know your music wouldn't know one of your songs if it came on radio but still felt the need to offer condolences just reading the this thread today makes me sad that you passed so young ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    CPR7CPR7 Stade de France, July 10, 2016 Posts: 364

In Tribute to Gord Downie, CTV Advances World TV Premiere of LONG TIME RUNNING to Now Air This Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m.

In celebration of the life of the unforgettable Gord Downie, CTV announced today it will now present the acclaimed film about The Tragically Hip, LONG TIME RUNNING, in a special advance, commercial-free world television premiere event this Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. The 95-minute film was previously scheduled to debut in November.

“Canadians from across the country are grieving the passing of this extraordinary individual, and in consultation with the band, we thought this was the right time to share with fans this intimate peek into last summer’s tour,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. “Gord Downie’s talent, passion, and heart made this country a better place. Gord, we miss you already.”

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    Terrible. God bless Gord and The Hip.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    CPR7 said:

In Tribute to Gord Downie, CTV Advances World TV Premiere of LONG TIME RUNNING to Now Air This Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m.

In celebration of the life of the unforgettable Gord Downie, CTV announced today it will now present the acclaimed film about The Tragically Hip, LONG TIME RUNNING, in a special advance, commercial-free world television premiere event this Friday, October 20 at 8 p.m. ET/PT. The 95-minute film was previously scheduled to debut in November.

“Canadians from across the country are grieving the passing of this extraordinary individual, and in consultation with the band, we thought this was the right time to share with fans this intimate peek into last summer’s tour,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. “Gord Downie’s talent, passion, and heart made this country a better place. Gord, we miss you already.”

My TV guide still has regular programming schedule. I will check back tomorrow to set the PVR. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Rest in peace, Gord.
    Canada is better for having you. Thank you for your music, your words, your courage.
    May you truly be walking among the stars. Your light will always shine. Xox
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    guitar101guitar101 Sutton, ON Posts: 397
    So sad to say goodbye to Gord.  I was lucky enough to be at the last show in Kingston and will never forget that night.  He has left behind an incredible legacy in his music.
    2005-9-12 London, ON
    2006-5-09 Toronto
    2007-8-03 (ed w/ ben harper) chicago / 2007-8-05 chicago
    2008-8-12 (ed solo) toronto
    2009-10-08 (ed solo) Albany
    2011-9-11 Toronto / 2011-9-12 Toronto
    2013-7-16 London, ON / 2013-7-19 Chicago / 2013-10-12 Buffalo
    2016-5-11 Toronto, On / 2016-5-13 Toronto, On
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Thank you Gord for all that you gave us.  I'm lucky to live close to Detroit so I saw many a show at The State / Fillmore, Cobo, Pine Knob.  I also saw you in Toronto, London Ont., Buffalo, Chicago, Edenfest, Toledo Zoo!

and a recording studio in Harper Woods with maybe 40 people.  You and the band were always so gracious when I did get to meet you / talk with you.  Your performances were always top notch and I never, NEVER walked away thinking  - "Eh they phoned it in today".  Gord - You were Ahead By A Century.  R.I.P.

Thank you Eddie and Pearl Jam for giving Gord a shoutout August 20th in Wrigley.  I had posted here on the forum in the days leading up to the 20th as I was torn about going to Wrigley or Kingston (chose Wrigley only because I had tickets).  You made my night with your shoutout as my wife and I went crazy on the infield.  Thank you.  

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    pearljim said:

Thank you Gord for all that you gave us.  I'm lucky to live close to Detroit so I saw many a show at The State / Fillmore, Cobo, Pine Knob.  I also saw you in Toronto, London Ont., Buffalo, Chicago, Edenfest, Toledo Zoo!

and a recording studio in Harper Woods with maybe 40 people.  You and the band were always so gracious when I did get to meet you / talk with you.  Your performances were always top notch and I never, NEVER walked away thinking  - "Eh they phoned it in today".  Gord - You were Ahead By A Century.  R.I.P.

Thank you Eddie and Pearl Jam for giving Gord a shoutout August 20th in Wrigley.  I had posted here on the forum in the days leading up to the 20th as I was torn about going to Wrigley or Kingston (chose Wrigley only because I had tickets).  You made my night with your shoutout as my wife and I went crazy on the infield.  Thank you.  

I was thrilled that Ed gave that shoutout (I was hoping for a cover, but that was good enough). It made me cry when I saw footage of it. I honestly had no idea if the Hip were on his/their radar. I can't imagine being a fly on the wall when Ed and Gord spent time together in Seattle. I would love to see a pic of the two of them from then, if one exists. 

some people I know have met Gord. by every single account, by famous people and non-famous people alike, the consensus was he was an incredibly humble and genuine human being. Wish I could have met him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,437
     This one cuts the deepest. 
    We love you Gord. R.I.P. 
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    edited October 2017
    CBC Radio did a good job of honouring Gord yesterday with a two hour special on Radio 2 and q on radio one. As well, many of the other shows took time to remember him. I happened to be in the car quite a bit yesterday and was grateful to hear all that, sing along, and shed a few tears.

If you get a chance, check out a movie called One Week with Joshua Jackson. The story is about a man who finds out he has cancer and, instead of starting treatment right away, buys a motorcycle and rides across Canada. Gord has a cameo in the movie as a stranger who gives the younger man some advice. It's bittersweet to reflect on that now. 

Thank you Gord for many years of meaningful, interesting, and creative music. Your voice will be missed.
    Post edited by ShanKathy on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Ron McLean's interview from yesterday was so touching. Ron's awesome - he says things so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnfhxvh1PE

My numbness rubbed off on the way home from work yesterday - hit me harder last night.

FYI, apparently the CTV Long Time Running broadcast on Friday will be at 6pm Pacific, not 5pm as many might assume (or at least that's what I read online).

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Secret Path In Concert is on CBC on Sunday October 22nd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    RIP Gord. You were a true legend and the memories you and the Hip gave me are some of the greatest of my life.  Glad I got to see the hip in Minneapolis one last time in 2015.  They blew the roof off First Ave.!!! 
  • Options
    rylan said:
    RIP Gord. You were a true legend and the memories you and the Hip gave me are some of the greatest of my life.  Glad I got to see the hip in Minneapolis one last time in 2015.  They blew the roof off First Ave.!!! 
    that's the show I was trying to convince some buddies to go to. none of them wanted to. total regret i didn't try harder. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rylanrylan Posts: 206
    rylan said:
    that's the show I was trying to convince some buddies to go to. none of them wanted to. total regret i didn't try harder. 
    I hear you bro, was going to go see Tom petty in June and chose not too and never went to go see Soundgarden or Audioslave..........ahh hindsight.  Did see PJ and Tom Petty in Milwaukee in 2006.  Also caught the hip on a sidestage at summerfest 2 days later and it was one of my favorite shows ever.  Didn't even know the Hip were there until the morning of the show. We were supposed to drive home but a few of us stayed and it was awesome!! It was Canada day too!!
  • Options
    rylan said:
    rylan said:
    I hear you bro, was going to go see Tom petty in June and chose not too and never went to go see Soundgarden or Audioslave..........ahh hindsight.  Did see PJ and Tom Petty in Milwaukee in 2006.  Also caught the hip on a sidestage at summerfest 2 days later and it was one of my favorite shows ever.  Didn't even know the Hip were there until the morning of the show. We were supposed to drive home but a few of us stayed and it was awesome!! It was Canada day too!!
    yeah, fucking soundgarden. saw them in 95, got backstage. met matt. then in 2012 they were playing Minnie. My buddy who is a massive cornell fan couldn't go with me as he had a wedding that same weekend. we were going to catch them next time. FUCK. 

same happened with Temple. fought with myself over spending the travel costs to see them in Seattle. didn't. FUCK. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    dear hughfreakingdillion if i can find my tape that i made at the 90 show i would like to get it to you. its from the masonic temple in toronto. very small venue. had 1st row balcony which was the best place to record from. i have never released this recording. i just have to find it. 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    The feeling you guys are getting about bands you wanted to see but missed, it's how I currently feel about the Stones.  The only big rock band I've wanted to see that I've never seen.   You think it's hard seeing PJ, I think the Stones only play here once every 10 or 15 years.    I'm starting to think I need to plan a trip around it and see them before it's too late.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ron McLean's interview from yesterday was so touching. Ron's awesome - he says things so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnfhxvh1PE

My numbness rubbed off on the way home from work yesterday - hit me harder last night.

FYI, apparently the CTV Long Time Running broadcast on Friday will be at 6pm Pacific, not 5pm as many might assume (or at least that's what I read online).

Now that I see the guide tomorrow, what I read about the time is not true. The broadcast is at 8pm Pacific.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224

STATEMENT

October 18, 2017

Last night Gord quietly passed away with his beloved children and family close by.

Gord knew this day was coming – his response was to spend this precious time as he always had – making music, making memories and expressing deep gratitude to his family and friends for a life well lived, often sealing it with a kiss… on the lips.

Gord said he had lived many lives. As a musician, he lived “the life” for over 30 years, lucky to do most of it with his high school buddies. At home, he worked just as tirelessly at being a good father, son, brother, husband and friend. No one worked harder on every part of their life than Gord. No one.

We would like to thank all the kind folks at KGH and Sunnybrook, Gord’s bandmates, management team, friends and fans. Thank you for all the help and support over the past two years.

Thank you everyone for all the respect, admiration and love you have given Gord throughout the years – those tender offerings touched his heart and he takes them with him now as he walks among the stars.

Love you forever Gord.

The Downie Family

Beautiful text. Farewell, poet.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    RIP Gord. Saw the Hip for the first time in July 1990, saw them for the last time in February 2015. They, along with PJ, have been the soundtrack of my youth into my middle age.  I grieve for his family, for the band and for the fans.  Thank you for the the music and the memories.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    ❤️
  • Options
    foodboy said:
    dear hughfreakingdillion if i can find my tape that i made at the 90 show i would like to get it to you. its from the masonic temple in toronto. very small venue. had 1st row balcony which was the best place to record from. i have never released this recording. i just have to find it. 
    um, YES PLEASE. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Lukin19Lukin19 We The North Posts: 505