John McCain

vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    I disagree with the Senator on many points (such as his choice of running mate in 2008), but I am really relishing DGAF McCain. More people need to speak up.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Let's just call it the McCain road to redemption.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I don;t blame McCain for Palin.  That's the party's fault.  He was trying to be the party leader and the party failed him.  Just like they failed Mitt Romney by forcing them away from what made them electable in order to get the crazy far right vote.  Even if you disagree with McCain, you at least generally get someone that while he does follow the party line a lot, he has a mind of his own.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Good to see the old Maverick living up to his name.
    His casual dismissal of Trump's weak ass threat was awesome.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    He is a good man who doesn't have much time left on this planet.  He will be missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited October 2017
    I disagree with the Senator on many points (such as his choice of running mate in 2008), but I am really relishing DGAF McCain. More people need to speak up.
    Actually Sarah Palin was a temporary game-changer in that 2008 campaign.  There was virtually no excitement on the GOP side after John McCain got the nomination.  Shortly after the unveiling of his VP pick, the crowd sizes at the campaign rallies to see her speak was huge John McCain's pole numbers shot up because of her, not inspite of.  Saturday Night Live made a caricature out of Sarah Palin.  She's not nearly as dumb as they made her out to be. Then she went on with Katie Couric, who had the long knives out.  (Admittedly Sarah Palin was not ready for primetime.)  "What do you read?" Katie Couric asked.  (Do you actually know how to read she might as well have asked) Sara Palin never said that you can see Russia from her house in Wasilla Alaska.  That was Tina Fey who said that, and many confused Tina Fey for Sarah Palin, or thought that's actually what Sarah Palin said.  Further north and west where Russia is 55 miles across the way maybe you can see it on a clear day.  And the Republicans in Alaska hated her because she disrupted the good ol boy network in Juneau Alaska, and demanded some accountability.  If the housing market didn't collapse when it did, and John McCain's suspension of his campaign for a week, many think he might have won.
    But those untimely events stopped his momentum cold. And his campaign never regained momentum after that.
    I think John McCain would have made a great. I think John McCain would have made a great president. Because he is not tied at the hip to the Republicans he's more independent as you know see as of late. That combined with his amazing ability to put up with torture and pain and survive. John McCain is a hero to me.
    Post edited by RYME on
    Well, I only can speak for myself. I was on the fence about how to vote until I heard Palin's first speech; I still remember staring at the radio, slack-jawed in astonishment. Then Obama chose Joe Biden as his running mate, and there was no doubt about my choice at that point.

I'd also argue that the GOP establishment's decision that Sarah Palin was a viable choice for VP was a not-insignificant factor contributing to where we are today, with a grossly unqualified, unfit person in the White House.

In other words, I stand by my original comment -- I disagreed, vigorously, with McCain's choice of running mate, as well as with the reasoning behind that decision.  
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Sarah Palin is the second biggest joke every played on the US presidency. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    Actually Sarah Palin was a temporary game-changer in that 2008 campaign.  There was virtually no excitement on the GOP side after John McCain got the nomination.  Shortly after the unveiling of his VP pick, the crowd sizes at the campaign rallies to see her speak was huge John McCain's pole numbers shot up because of her, not inspite of.  Saturday Night Live made a caricature out of Sarah Palin.  She's not nearly as dumb as they made her out to be. Then she went on with Katie Couric, who had the long knives out.  (Admittedly Sarah Palin was not ready for primetime.)  "What do you read?" Katie Couric asked.  (Do you actually know how to read she might as well have asked) Sara Palin never said that you can see Russia from her house in Wasilla Alaska.  That was Tina Fey who said that, and many confused Tina Fey for Sarah Palin, or thought that's actually what Sarah Palin said.  Further north and west where Russia is 55 miles across the way maybe you can see it on a clear day.  And the Republicans in Alaska hated her because she disrupted the good ol boy network in Juneau Alaska, and demanded some accountability.  If the housing market didn't collapse when it did, and John McCain's suspension of his campaign for a week, many think he might have won.
    But those untimely events stopped his momentum cold. And his campaign never regained momentum after that.
    I think John McCain would have made a great. I think John McCain would have made a great president. Because he is not tied at the hip to the Republicans he's more independent as you know see as of late. That combined with his amazing ability to put up with torture and pain and survive. John McCain is a hero to me.
    you are correct, she didn't, she said this:

The basis for the line was Governor Palin’s 11 September 2008 appearance on ABC News, her first major interview after being tapped as the vice-presidential nominee. During that appearance, interviewer Charles Gibson asked her what insight she had gained from living so close to Russia, and she responded: “They’re our next-door neighbors, and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska”:

no one confused Tina Fey for Sarah Palin. that's nonsense. the parody simply got misrepresented as her actual quote as time went on. 

asking a politician, or any public figure, "what do you read?", is actually a very common question, and a great way to out an idiot. you are taking it as "do you know how to read?' because of her portrayal in the media as a slack jawed hick. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    Hahaha you can't make an intelligent person out to be a dummy, you can only expose the dummies.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Palin was an awesome mayor and governer in Alaska. I was in middle school in anchorage when she was governer and she was moderate and well liked by many. I think the National attention killed her. Sad to see.
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited October 2017
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    Hahaha you can't make an intelligent person out to be a dummy, you can only expose the dummies.
    Just like you can't fix stupid. ;)
    I know that people didn't confuse the two people.  It was a disjointed answer by Palin in the first place.  And I cringed as I was listening at the time.  What does being able to see Russian land  from an Alaskan Island have to do with U.S./Russian relations?  What insight could you possibly gain from that?  Do you stand on that island and yell back and forth to each other to gain insight?
    Nope she didn't help herself too much there.  I watched that interview and most of the other interviews, and none of them went to good for her.
    Post edited by RYME on
    In Sarah’s befense, this photos was taken in Alaska. And the land in the distance is Russian land. 
    riley540 said:
    Palin was an awesome mayor and governer in Alaska. I was in middle school in anchorage when she was governer and she was moderate and well liked by many. I think the National attention killed her. Sad to see.
    I can't argue your points because I didn't follow her back then but how she could possibly gone from "awesome" (that much misused word) and "moderate" to whackadoo... hmmm?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

riley540 said:
    In Sarah’s befense, this photos was taken in Alaska. And the land in the distance is Russian land. 

I can see the ocean from my house; that doesn't mean I am qualified to command the navy -- or even a sailboat.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    riley540 said:

I can see the ocean from my house; that doesn't mean I am qualified to command the navy -- or even a sailboat.
    It's big water.  Ocean water.
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    I can't argue your points because I didn't follow her back then but how she could possibly gone from "awesome" (that much misused word) and "moderate" to whackadoo... hmmm?
    Fame, popularity, money. She used to be best friends with my aunt. They would do yoga together in the mornings. My aunt is a liberal, and her and Sarah always got along fine. And then post 2008 she just changed a lot. When Fox News starts paying your bills you are probably expected to be a certain way. My aunt says Sarah doesn’t call or anything anymore. Last time she went to her house she said it was just a little weird. I always give my aunt a hard time when Sarah makes the news saying crazy things. The day after she came out in support of trump my aunt and I boarded a plane to go see David gilmour in California. I had a field day giving her crap about palin. Good times. Sad they aren’t friends anymore though. Politics suck. 
  • Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:

It's big water.  Ocean water.
    With lots of salt and swimmy things.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,421
    riley540 said:

details on this shot please. whats the source, its specific  location etc....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    Fame, popularity, money. She used to be best friends with my aunt. They would do yoga together in the mornings. My aunt is a liberal, and her and Sarah always got along fine. And then post 2008 she just changed a lot. When Fox News starts paying your bills you are probably expected to be a certain way. My aunt says Sarah doesn’t call or anything anymore. Last time she went to her house she said it was just a little weird. I always give my aunt a hard time when Sarah makes the news saying crazy things. The day after she came out in support of trump my aunt and I boarded a plane to go see David gilmour in California. I had a field day giving her crap about palin. Good times. Sad they aren’t friends anymore though. Politics suck. 
    Interesting story, Riley!  

It leads me to wonder how to make sure the right people end up in positions of power.  Your story reminds me of another from way back when I was in my early 20's and was working in an auto parts store (haha, can you believe it?!)  I was friends for the first year or so with one of the guys I worked with until he got promoted.  Then all of the sudden he had this power and as a result it was like he became a different person- still a good person underneath it all, but outwardly he changed. 

So for all I know, yeah, Palin might have been just some nice lady down the street until her involvement in politics.  She seemed way out of her league being in politics. Of course, as is obvious, the American political league in general these days is like having all the MLB teams currently "in the basement".

brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

It leads me to wonder how to make sure the right people end up in positions of power.  Your story reminds me of another from way back when I was in my early 20's and was working in an auto parts store (haha, can you believe it?!)  I was friends for the first year or so with one of the guys I worked with until he got promoted.  Then all of the sudden he had this power and as a result it was like he became a different person- still a good person underneath it all, but outwardly he changed. 

So for all I know, yeah, Palin might have been just some nice lady down the street until her involvement in politics.  She seemed way out of her league being in politics. Of course, as is obvious, the American political league in general these days is like having all the MLB teams currently "in the basement".
    I think you hit the nail on the head! Anybody in a position of power can let it get to their head. When I was super young, Sarah Palin really was just an awesome lady who lived on Wasilla. Very out doorsey. Always out doing runs and hikes. 
    Crazy how things can change! I’m pretty sure she still lives on lake Lucile in Wasilla. I can show you her place some time ;)
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head! Anybody in a position of power can let it get to their head. When I was super young, Sarah Palin really was just an awesome lady who lived on Wasilla. Very out doorsey. Always out doing runs and hikes. 
    Crazy how things can change! I’m pretty sure she still lives on lake Lucile in Wasilla. I can show you her place some time ;)
    Maybe people just shouldn't* become politicians.

Unsung, you out there?

*er, um, I mean "would do better if they didn't"  :lol:

brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

I think Tocqueville wrote about this in "Democracy in America." The challenge of finding and selecting the best people for high office is that the people who would do the best job want no part of politics, and the people who want to run for office, by and large, are not the best the country has to offer/ not the most well-suited for the work.

And, yeah, I've seen normal-appearing people turn into rabid, bloodthirsty monsters when given just a tiny bit of power (ugh, preschool).
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

I think Tocqueville wrote about this in "Democracy in America." The challenge of finding and selecting the best people for high office is that the people who would do the best job want no part of politics, and the people who want to run for office, by and large, are not the best the country has to offer/ not the most well-suited for the work.

And, yeah, I've seen normal-appearing people turn into rabid, bloodthirsty monsters when given just a tiny bit of power (ugh, preschool).
    I sat down the other day and thought about what grade I would give the various politicians I've been familiar with over the years.  I only came up with one I believed deserves an "A" grade: (1969 to 1993) California Senator  Alan Cranston.  (Would add a minus if his minor role in the 1991 savings and loan scandal were proven.)

Sadly, I can come up with plenty of "F"s.

• brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

Take the money out of politics, the inherent personal attacks and flaying of anyone who runs and a shortened election season and you'll see better, more capable people running. Otherwise, you get Joe the Plumber or Donald Trump.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

Take the money out of politics, the inherent personal attacks and flaying of anyone who runs and a shortened election season and you'll see better, more capable people running. Otherwise, you get Joe the Plumber or Donald Trump.
    Damn straight, my friend!

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

If you outlaw money in politics, then only outlaws will have money in politics!

...or something...

Anyhow, John McCain can f right off into the sunset. 

A couple votes doesn't make him a hero when he's fallen lock step with R's on thousands of other shiatty votes, including this week: 

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:
    brianlux said:
    riley540 said:

Unsung, you out there?

If you outlaw money in politics, then only outlaws will have money in politics!

...or something...

Anyhow, John McCain can f right off into the sunset. 

A couple votes doesn't make him a hero when he's fallen lock step with R's on thousands of other shiatty votes, including this week: 

" If you outlaw money in politics, then only outlaws will have money in politics!"

Haha!.  Of course, this is a moot point.  We won't see this happen any time soon.

Yeah, I agree that wholeheartedly accepting McCain as the latest greatest American hero fails to look at the man's entire resume.  It is punctuated by some poor decisions and very questionable policies, no doubt.  At the same time, saying her can "f right off into the sunset" would not be my choice of comments either.  I don't see him as exclusively good or evil.  We have had much better, we have had much worse.