Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,625
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:
    The rules fine. The call was fine. Contreras did what he had to do, but the runners easily safe if he’s not blocking the plate.
    Yeah, he's safe if he doesn't block the plate, but blocking the plate was part of the game for over a century and was always considered a good/clean baseball play.  I hate this rule. It really is turning the game into a sissy game. It's a shame what happened to Buster Posey, but those outcomes are the extreme exception and not the norm.  Let them play baseball.  They're grown men. 

Really? As if it was so much more manly and physical before.

It makes more sense to have it the way it is now. If the throw carries the catcher into the path it’s legal, otherwise keep them from scoring the run by playing the game. Fielders can’t block the path to any other base.

If it helps keep the best catcher available day after day, then  why not. 
    Home plate is not the same as any other base. The rule flies in the face of the way the game has been played for 170 some years. 
    Who cares how it was played for 100 years?  The game is best when the best players play it.  It's precisely why I don't want pitchers hitting and running bases.  They suck at it and it kills the flow of a game.  Well, injured players and AAA level players calling balls and strikes sucks too.  So protect the players.  Protect the game.

I CARE! I CARE!

You like the designated hitter so your opinion does not matter much anyway.

Baseball, like any other sport, needs to be adjusted over time to make it the most interesting game possible. DH makes the game more interesting.  Having the best players healthy makes the game more interesting.  I can't help it if you hate good things.  
    No, what makes baseball unique to every other sport is that it does not need to be adjusted to make the game more interesting. American League baseball is bastardized baseball for people who just like seeing more and more offense with as little strategy as possible. It's a notch or two above beer league softball. 

All hail the National League, baseball the way it was meant to be played (minus the stupid Posey rule....and replays....and interleague.....god damn it)
    It has changed... http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:
    The rules fine. The call was fine. Contreras did what he had to do, but the runners easily safe if he’s not blocking the plate.
    Yeah, he's safe if he doesn't block the plate, but blocking the plate was part of the game for over a century and was always considered a good/clean baseball play.  I hate this rule. It really is turning the game into a sissy game. It's a shame what happened to Buster Posey, but those outcomes are the extreme exception and not the norm.  Let them play baseball.  They're grown men. 

It makes more sense to have it the way it is now. If the throw carries the catcher into the path it’s legal, otherwise keep them from scoring the run by playing the game. Fielders can’t block the path to any other base.

Home plate is not the same as any other base. The rule flies in the face of the way the game has been played for 170 some years. 
    Who cares how it was played for 100 years?  The game is best when the best players play it.  It's precisely why I don't want pitchers hitting and running bases.  They suck at it and it kills the flow of a game.  Well, injured players and AAA level players calling balls and strikes sucks too.  So protect the players.  Protect the game.

I CARE! I CARE!

Baseball, like any other sport, needs to be adjusted over time to make it the most interesting game possible. DH makes the game more interesting.  Having the best players healthy makes the game more interesting.  I can't help it if you hate good things.  
    how does the DH make the game more interesting? and how does the DH make the players more healthy?  Don't tel me ab out pitchers getting hurt batting because pitching to a DH puts more strain on a pitcher's arm than batting.  There is less strategy in the AL with the DH and the games are longer.  the AL game stinks compared to the NL
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

No, what makes baseball unique to every other sport is that it does not need to be adjusted to make the game more interesting. American League baseball is bastardized baseball for people who just like seeing more and more offense with as little strategy as possible. It's a notch or two above beer league softball. 

All hail the National League, baseball the way it was meant to be played (minus the stupid Posey rule....and replays....and interleague.....god damn it)
    Ha....notice how there are two listed in the last 40+ years there? You've proven my point. Compare that to other sports. This is what makes baseball great. There's no need to dramatically change the rules like in other sports. It's great, as is.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

Ha....notice how there are two listed in the last 40+ years there? You've proven my point. Compare that to other sports. This is what makes baseball great. There's no need to dramatically change the rules like in other sports. It's great, as is.
    You said it doesn't need to be adjusted.  It has been adjusted.  You used a definitive statement, not a conditional one.  Baseball's age makes it less prone to change, but it changed extensively in its first 100 years.  And this rule list doesn't include the clock that was installed.  Maybe because it's a weird optional rule.  
    Edit - and the Posey rule isn't in here either...so clearly not a definitive list. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

how does the DH make the game more interesting? and how does the DH make the players more healthy?  Don't tel me ab out pitchers getting hurt batting because pitching to a DH puts more strain on a pitcher's arm than batting.  There is less strategy in the AL with the DH and the games are longer.  the AL game stinks compared to the NL
    These were two disparate statements.  But one is actually connected to the other:
    1. The Posey rule (the initial debate point) absolutely makes the game safer.  
    2. DH, in my opinion, is more interesting.  Yes a double switch is just fucking fascinating for all of 30 seconds in the late innings and post season, but 98% of the time, it's just a wasted out.  I'd rather see a competent pitcher match up against a competent hitter.  If you have any appreciation of the art of pitching, it's much better to watch a pitch really work a hitter through different locations and pitch speeds.  Seeing a pitcher throw three fast balls by the opposing pitcher sucks.  8 competent hitters and a patsy is not better.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

You said it doesn't need to be adjusted.  It has been adjusted.  You used a definitive statement, not a conditional one.  Baseball's age makes it less prone to change, but it changed extensively in its first 100 years.  And this rule list doesn't include the clock that was installed.  Maybe because it's a weird optional rule.  
    Edit - and the Posey rule isn't in here either...so clearly not a definitive list. 
    Come on. Obviously there were changes every now and then as the sport was developing. The majority of stuff on that list happened prior to or at the beginning of the 20th century. And a lot of it is stuff like forcing players to wear protective helmets and setting up rules for the minimum boundaries for new stadiums--thats elementary and necessary stuff for a relatively new sport. And these minor changes are a mere fraction of the amount of changes every other sport, except soccer I guess, has made over the years. The fact that baseball does not have to dramatically change their game is what makes it stand above all other sports......which brings us to the designated hitter

None of those rule changes are remotely close to the advent of a part time player hitting for the pitcher. That would be like the NFL, instead of having all these rules for protecting the qb, going way overboard and putting flags on them and saying you cannot even touch the quarterback, you just have to pull one of the flags to get them down. 

The AL is bastardized, inferior baseball. I dread the day when it comes to the national league....sadly that is probably coming. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Posey Rule and instant replay aren't that minor.  Raising and lowering the pitcher's mound and adjusting the strike zone are massive changes.  
    DL change would be dramatic, I agree with that.  I will welcome it.  Offense is good for the game.  I love a great pitcher...every five days.  I don't love watching them look like a fool with a bat on their shoulder, praying that it makes a tad bit of sense to bunt.  And they're bad bunters to boot, so it's not like you get a bunch of safety or suicides out of the deal.  That never seems to happen.

I have a much bigger issue with the shifts, the rise in strike outs and rise in home runs (all of those things are connected) than I do with Posey rule and DH.  

• Options
    And back to the Posey rule.....does it really keep catchers that much safer? We're we really losing a lot of catchers to debilitating injuries on a yearly basis prior to one, high profile player got hurt? I think the rule is/was a classic reactive overreach.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2015/09/08/catcher-injuries-baseball/

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    And back to the Posey rule.....does it really keep catchers that much safer? We're we really losing a lot of catchers to debilitating injuries on a yearly basis prior to one, high profile player got hurt? I think the rule is/was a classic reactive overreach.

Wow, that's super compelling.  You mean we can only reduce injuries by 15% by changing a rule?  Seems hardly worth it.  What's the right % in order to make a rule change, in your mind?  Does it have to be a plurality?  A majority?  What if concussions in football were below 15%, is that too immaterial to try to protect players?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fj2B9z4Dbw
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930

Perfectly said.  And I'll add the Utley rule to that as well. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Yeah... it does keep them safer.  And if it saves one catastrophic injury per year or 5 minor ones, then it's worth it.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

These were two disparate statements.  But one is actually connected to the other:
    2. DH, in my opinion, is more interesting.  Yes a double switch is just fucking fascinating for all of 30 seconds in the late innings and post season, but 98% of the time, it's just a wasted out.  I'd rather see a competent pitcher match up against a competent hitter.  If you have any appreciation of the art of pitching, it's much better to watch a pitch really work a hitter through different locations and pitch speeds.  Seeing a pitcher throw three fast balls by the opposing pitcher sucks.  8 competent hitters and a patsy is not better.
    it's about strategy not the 30 seconds that the double switch actually occurs. there is a lot more thought that goes into managing in the NL than in the AL. A robot could manage in the AL. 

the Posey rule I am 50/50 on .  I don't think a player should ever have been allowed to barrel over the catcher full steam like you were before the rule. that being said the way the rule is written now has gone to far. no way the play the other night should be illegal for the catcher. the rule was intended to protect the catchers but has put the onus on the catchers not the runners who were barreling over them. i don't think that is the right way to go about it.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Yeah... it does keep them safer.  And if it saves one catastrophic injury per year or 5 minor ones, then it's worth it.  
    There was nowhere near one catastrophic injury (like Utley's) per year prior to this rule.  If a player makes a hard, CLEAN slide into 2nd base to break up a double play, that's good fundamental baseball.  This rule has eliminated that clean play. I'm not condoning a player that comes in high with his cleats.  There never was a place for that in baseball and it can obviously cause serious injury.  But a good fundamental hard slide should be a part of the game, and unfortunately has been removed due to another over reach by MLB. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

it's about strategy not the 30 seconds that the double switch actually occurs. there is a lot more thought that goes into managing in the NL than in the AL. A robot could manage in the AL. 

the Posey rule I am 50/50 on .  I don't think a player should ever have been allowed to barrel over the catcher full steam like you were before the rule. that being said the way the rule is written now has gone to far. no way the play the other night should be illegal for the catcher. the rule was intended to protect the catchers but has put the onus on the catchers not the runners who were barreling over them. i don't think that is the right way to go about it.
    That's exactly how I see it.  I'm all for protecting the players, but the rule has surpassed it's intention and has made what was a perfectly legal defensive play for over a century now illegal.  They've written the rule so the catcher has less right to get the runner out on a bang-bang play, such as Contreras' play the other night.
  • Options

I think the NBA should adopt a Designated Free Throw Shooter rule.

This will eliminate us viewers being subjected to players like Andre Drummond being forced to make a foul shot! Who wants to see that? Bring in the ol' designated free throw shooter off the bench to drain those shots! It may increase scoring and possibly improve the flow of the game! This way, those big, lumbering centers can devote more of their time to other areas of the game where they excel. I love a great powerful center, but not at the foul line with a free shot praying it goes in more than 50% of the time. Offense is good for the game---get these guys off foul line! 

See how ridiculous this sounds with another sport? That's probably what the DH sounded like to people when it was first introduced. It's just ingrained into the game at this point that people are used to it....well, ingrained into the inferior American League game I should say.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^ LOL!! 
  • Options

This will eliminate us viewers being subjected to players like Andre Drummond being forced to make a foul shot! Who wants to see that? Bring in the ol' designated free throw shooter off the bench to drain those shots! It may increase scoring and possibly improve the flow of the game! This way, those big, lumbering centers can devote more of their time to other areas of the game where they excel. I love a great powerful center, but not at the foul line with a free shot praying it goes in more than 50% of the time. Offense is good for the game---get these guys off foul line! 

See how ridiculous this sounds with another sport? That's probably what the DH sounded like to people when it was first introduced. It's just ingrained into the game at this point that people are used to it....well, ingrained into the inferior American League game I should say.

An interesting analogy but not quite the mark in my opinion.  Baseball is fundamentally about the pitcher/batter interaction.  That is the game.  Free throw shooting is not THE game in basketball.  It's important, but basketball specifically has rules to prohibit subbing in free throw shooters (if you're injured and can't shoot, you're out of the game).  But basketball is trying to eliminate the hack a shaq because...similar to my point about pitchers hitting...it inhibits the game.  
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DewieCox said:
    bbiggs said:
    DewieCox said:

I CARE! I CARE!

That's exactly how I see it.  I'm all for protecting the players, but the rule has surpassed it's intention and has made what was a perfectly legal defensive play for over a century now illegal.  They've written the rule so the catcher has less right to get the runner out on a bang-bang play, such as Contreras' play the other night.
    I'm not against tweaking the Posey rule, but barreling has no place in the game.  That's my point.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

An interesting analogy but not quite the mark in my opinion.  Baseball is fundamentally about the pitcher/batter interaction.  That is the game.  Free throw shooting is not THE game in basketball.  It's important, but basketball specifically has rules to prohibit subbing in free throw shooters (if you're injured and can't shoot, you're out of the game).  But basketball is trying to eliminate the hack a shaq because...similar to my point about pitchers hitting...it inhibits the game.  

......well baseball USED to not allow part time players to hit for the pitchers. This would fundamentally change the game of basketball similar to how adding a part time player who only hits changed the game of American League baseball.

They're looking into making a rule change to prevent Hack a Shaq from happening (wow, look!--another sport who routinely alters their rules on a yearly basis)......but I seriously doubt they will incorporate a part time player who only has one job that replaces one of someone else's responsibilities. That's a drastic and unnecessary change, much like the designated hitter in the al.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Pitchers batting is stupid.  End of story.
  • Options

You enjoy an inferior brand of baseball, Cliff......not that there's anything wrong with that.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598

You enjoy an inferior brand of baseball, Cliff......not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Inferior baseball is watching a dipshit try to get down a bunt looking like it's the first time he held a bat.  I prefer taters.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Coming from a fan of an AL team:

Fuck the DH
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,295
    The NL needs a DH
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    The NL needs a DH

YOU need a dh
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Inferior baseball is watching a dipshit try to get down a bunt looking like it's the first time he held a bat.  I prefer taters.
    Inferior baseball is watching a dipshit who can't field ride the pine while real men play defense.
  • Options
    A bat can run into a heater once in a while.  
  • Options

an AL manager could fall asleep on the bench during games and no one would notice. their job pretty much stops once they hand in a lineup card.

• Options
    pjhawks said:

an AL manager could fall asleep on the bench during games and no one would notice. their job pretty much stops once they hand in a lineup card.

The over exaggeration on this page is really astounding...  In the regular season, I agree there's not a ton of in game management, but in the playoff there definitely is.  But at the end of the day, who the fuck cares?  For me, the question is whether the game is better or worse.  And pitchers hitting are shitty.