*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    A little basketball tonight, eh gents?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Yeah buddy. I was perusing tickets for a game, and holy shit. This exclusive Stub Hub thing is for the birds.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    If the Sixers can shoot, Ben could avg 10 assists. Surprised that Holmes looked so bad on D. Simmons and Fultz took no jumpers.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    If the Sixers can shoot, Ben could avg 10 assists. Surprised that Holmes looked so bad on D. Simmons and Fultz took no jumpers.

Eh....first preseason game. Everyone was a little rusty.

Simmons is going to be a fucking super star. His court vision is like nothing this team has had since I can remember. So excited for this season to start.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    thought they would let him become a restricted free agent until they see how many games he plays this year but hard to quarrel with giving him the deal.  at least that is out of the way and don't have to deal with it. now if he can only get on the court on a daily basis

Probably will hear more on details tomorrow but looks like the Sixers have a nice insurance plan if he gets hurt again. Can't wait for season to start:

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/09/joel-embiid-might-have-the-most-complicated-extension-in-nba-history/

Joel Embiid might have the most complicated extension in NBA history

DunkWire

October 9, 2017- by Bryan Kalbrosky

0 shares
    tweet
    pin
    sms
    send
    email

By: Bryan Kalbrosky | October 9, 2017

Philadelphia 76ers big man Joel Embiid signed a huge contract extension despite the fact that he has an extensive injury history and has played in just 31 NBA games.

Embiid's extension has been described to me as "perhaps the most complex" in NBA history. Expect a lot of details to trickle out.

— Zach Lowe (@ZachLowe_NBA) October 9, 2017

Adrian Wojnarowski indicates Embiid has contract incentives based on whether he makes All-NBA teams or wins the Most Valuable Player award. The report also mentions that the contract includes language that offers Philadelphia some kind of reassurance in case Embiid suffers more injury setbacks (via ESPN):

“The deal will include some salary-cap protection for the 76ers should Embiid suffer injury that causes him to miss significant playing time, league sources said.”

As a way to protect the front office from spending surplus money on a player who may be sidelined for a prolonged period due to his prior health issues, the teams could have included several clauses in the contract.

If the organization decided to factor this into the equation, they may have used a contract model similar to what the Nets once offered Brook Lopez.

According to NBA insider Bobby Marks, the front office in Brooklyn was concerned about offering Lopez big money if he was going to have any of the same lingering problems from the 2011-12 and 2013-14 seasons (via ESPN):

“What the Nets and Lopez agreed upon was a three-year, $64 million contract that guaranteed $19.7 million in the first year but included protection language that would reduce compensation in years 2 (50 percent) and 3 (25 percent) if Lopez were to injure the same right foot, not appear on the active roster for 62 games and average fewer than 15 MPG in 2015-16.”

Marks predicted that if Embiid were to fail to appear on the 76ers’ active roster for “fewer than 51 games” during the 2018-19 season, Philadelphia could “reduce the remaining compensation owed” to 50 percent in each year of the deal.

We don’t know yet the actual figures of what Embiid and the front office decided. Shams Charania of Yahoo Sports originally reported that the deal contains a 50 percent guarantee, though this post was since deleted.

Assuming Shams has the % right, if Embiid doesn't stay healthy, he's making less money than the Lakers paid Mozgov. Take that gamble any day

— Kyle Neubeck (@KyleNeubeck) October 9, 2017

However, this means that an unhealthy Embiid would make $74 million on a five-year deal. This would be $14.8 million per year, less than the $16 million that Brooklyn will annually pay fellow big man Timofey Mozgov.

Of course, Embiid has one of the highest ceilings and potential for players at his position in the NBA. We can expect, based on a tweet from ESPN’s Zach Lowe, the deal to be complicated.

If he can stay healthy and effective, it will be well worth it for both parties. If not, it seems Philadelphia likely has a method in place to avoid huge risk.

chinese-happy.jpg
    edited October 2017
    Fultz's new shot resembles Philip Seymour Hoffman's in Along Came Polly.

What was he thinking? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Simmons -31 last night. Sixers made me turn on that garbage football game last night.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

What was he thinking? 
    Phillip has slightly better technique

Jason P said:

What was he thinking? 
    Phillip has slightly better technique

haha. nice
    chinese-happy.jpg

The absolute best Sixers writer in the city breaking down the Embiid contract. If you don't subscribe to this site, you're missing out. This article is free though:

https://theathletic.com/123336/2017/10/10/breaking-down-the-impact-of-joel-embiids-contract-extension/

chinese-happy.jpg
    Jojo probable for tomorrow night. Looks like Eskin was correct about him not playing in a game until a contract was done.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    Jojo probable for tomorrow night. Looks like Eskin was correct about him not playing in a game until a contract was done.

TAKE THE NIGHT AND RUN
    chinese-happy.jpg

What was he thinking? 
    might be injury related. 

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/markelle-fultz-alarm-bells-starting-early-for-76ers/
    pjhawks said:

What was he thinking? 
    might be injury related. 

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/markelle-fultz-alarm-bells-starting-early-for-76ers/
    I can't even comprehend that. I don't think I've ever heard of someone changing his shot because of an injury.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    After getting more details on Embiid's contract, I think he should consider getting a new agent.  Did he hire Master P?

NBA is all about guaranteed contracts
    Looks like Embiid will be playing tonight
    chinese-happy.jpg
    22 points. 7 rebounds. 3 assists. 15 minutes. 

Dude is a freak of nature. Scary how much better they are with him on the floor. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    22 points. 7 rebounds. 3 assists. 15 minutes. 

Dude is a freak of nature. Scary how much better they are with him on the floor. 
    yeah they looked good with him playing.  hoping it continues in the regular season
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Big sixer fan here. Too bad the celts are loaded for the next 3 years. 
    Go Sixers
    OMG! I was drooling last night.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    OMG! I was drooling last night.
    Ha...yeah I can safely say I've never been that animated for a meaningless basketball game in my life. That was fun.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Got my tix for home opener. Can't wait.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Have buddies that want to go but no shot am I paying those prices for the tickets.  Insanity.  The stubhub partnership is bullshit. 
    Have buddies that want to go but no shot am I paying those prices for the tickets.  Insanity.  The stubhub partnership is bullshit. 

Yeah it blows. Prices drop after the first game but you don't know if you're buying from the team or some random schmuck.

Overspending but I just feel like I need to be in the building for this one.

chinese-happy.jpg
    so the tanking is official over with the start of this season.  should be good to see the development of this team.  going to be interesting how Simmons and Embiid work together,  

am I the only one who thinks 'Phila' on the jersey is fucking stupid?  no one in the world calls this city Phila.  and don't give me this bs that it harkens back to Wilt's era.  If you don't want to put Sixers or spell out Philadelphia on the jersey then put Philly.  Everyone in the world calls it Philly.
    Tonight's the night!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Tom O.
    -The Writer