The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I didn't know they took that long to hit the store either.....learned something already today!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157

frying up some ham w/ a little olive & butter. i'll slice up some leftover baked potato & fry that up. fryin up eggs. toasting english muffins. slicing cheese. yep that's right... screw you, mcdonald's. & ya can't forget the coffee, cream no sugar. get the heck out of town good

my work is done here

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I had leftover tater tots and hard boiled eggs.  Was tasty.  Your breakfast sounds better, though!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Both of yours sound better than my wawa breakfast sandwich.  Trash on "bread".  I don't know why I do it to myself.
    My nephew eats those sometimes if he has a 10 AM start for baseball on weekends....he gets breakfast at home but I usually stop at WaWa on the way to the fields.  They look sick.  I have never eaten one -- and it has probably been 20 years since I have eaten anything out of a c store previously cooked heater thingy.  No thanks!
    My nephew eats those sometimes if he has a 10 AM start for baseball on weekends....he gets breakfast at home but I usually stop at WaWa on the way to the fields.  They look sick.  I have never eaten one -- and it has probably been 20 years since I have eaten anything out of a c store previously cooked heater thingy.  No thanks!
    Yeah, I don't do it often, but it sounded okay to myself as I was riding my bike into work.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited October 2017
    A big fat nothing for breakfast and lunch today.
    Tonight is a family Halloween party with chips and dips (taco dip, buffalo chickene) and candy and beer so I need to save all my calorie intake for that.

I made my first butternut squash pies of the year last night for the party, but I haven't tried it yet.  Can't wait for a slice or three of that, with Cool Whip aplenty.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    Tonight is a family Halloween party with chips and dips (taco dip, buffalo chickene) and candy and beer so I need to save all my calorie intake for that.

I made my first butternut squash pies of the year last night for the party, but I haven't tried it yet.  Can't wait for a slice or three of that, with Cool Whip aplenty.

Do they taste at all like pumpkin? I've never had a squash pie other than pumpkin. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    rgambs said:

Do they taste at all like pumpkin? I've never had a squash pie other than pumpkin. 
    Look and taste exactly like pumpkin on the inside but with a higher sugar content and not as fibrous as a pie variety pumpkin.
    Between the sweeter flesh and the overuse of sugar in American baking, with a Butternut pie I use half the added sugar that most pumpkin pie recipes call for.
    The skin peels easier and they have less guts, production is slightly better than pumpkin, and they last longer on the shelf.  Once you go Butternut, you don't go back.
    I've used Hubbard as well, that's the big blue cornucopia shaped squash that most people think is just decorative, but is decently flavored and lasts through the entire winter into early spring if stored well.
    Acorn squash makes a good one too, better than pumpkin as well.

I usually call it homemade pumpkin pie until after people try it, some folks are turned off by the sound of ___ squash pie.
    Also, for those who like to cook delicious food but don't garden like a maniac, many stores carry butternut squash all year, and sugar/pie pumpkins are only around this time of year.

edited October 2017
    Well how about that, a nice little confirmation bias bump courtesy of Google lol

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/the-squash-you-should-use-in-pumpkin-pie/
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Look and taste exactly like pumpkin on the inside but with a higher sugar content and not as fibrous as a pie variety pumpkin.
    Between the sweeter flesh and the overuse of sugar in American baking, with a Butternut pie I use half the added sugar that most pumpkin pie recipes call for.
    The skin peels easier and they have less guts, production is slightly better than pumpkin, and they last longer on the shelf.  Once you go Butternut, you don't go back.
    I've used Hubbard as well, that's the big blue cornucopia shaped squash that most people think is just decorative, but is decently flavored and lasts through the entire winter into early spring if stored well.

I usually call it homemade pumpkin pie until after people try it, some folks are turned off by the sound of ___ squash pie.

If they're turned off by that, what do they think pumpkins are?
    I will be breaking into the ghost peppers this weekend.  

A pot of chili

BBQ sauce

Hot sauce

Annnnnd, if I get bold, perhaps I will pop one of those bastards in my mouth.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

People are fucking stupid!
    I SAW PEARL JAM

A pot of chili

BBQ sauce

Hot sauce

Don't do it.  Look at your fellow NYG fan

https://youtu.be/ZstObB4RVsQ

The kick to the sack seemed a setup but I still laughed at this moron
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

hahaha, yeah, I enjoyed that. Why was the dude in an elephant costume?
    He was eeyore.
    No idea why.

A pot of chili

BBQ sauce

Hot sauce

You are a bolder man than I!
    I'm overdue for my final pepper haul, I'll be posting pics for you pepperheads to feast your eyes when I do.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

So many variations on cooking.
    How do you do 'em?

Start with eggs that have been sitting a while.
    I put a dozen eggs in a pot.
    Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Remove from heat & cover.
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in ice bath for 1 minute.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    the fuck is red salt?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

How do you do 'em?

Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    the fuck is red salt?
    YOU ARE not a foodie. 
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

How do you do 'em?

Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Let sit for 9 minutes.

the fuck is red salt?
    YOU ARE not a foodie. 
    Salt from the Red Sea. Duh!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

How do you do 'em?

Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Let sit for 9 minutes.

the fuck is red salt?
    Finishing salts.
    Sea salts of all types.  They taste very different from one another in many cases and it is fun to play around and see what goes well with what.
    Have a bunch of types...here is a pic of some that I googled

Go nuts with those fucking salts when you get those Jersey tomatoes going in the summer. 
    Slice the tomato into 4 and use a little sprinkle of different salt on each one?
    Drink vodka.

(Ok the vodka is a throw in that has nothing to do with anything)
    edited October 2017
    Go nuts with those fucking salts when you get those Jersey tomatoes going in the summer. 
    Slice the tomato into 4 and use a little sprinkle of different salt on each one?
    Drink vodka.

You have a vodka thread.  Keep that nonsense out of here.

We talk about roasting whole hogs in here.  Only brown liquor goes with that.
    edited October 2017
    Drink vodka.

That's the wrong alcohol to be talking about with salt. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on

This is the correct way to talk about salt and alcohol. 
    Drink vodka.

As much as I hate to agree with a shithead Yankee fan, this is one of those times when we must take a stand together and squash this vodka nonsense. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited October 2017
    dankind said:
    Drink vodka.

As much as I hate to agree with a shithead Yankee fan, this is one of those times when we must take a stand together and squash this vodka nonsense. 

For the greater good