Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Gtilley8 said:
    They are going to have to act early I think. The team has been insufferable to watch against the power pitching of Strasburg and Scherzer. I mean you can literally look at the players as they step into the box and tell who is going to whiff and flail the bat around. I suspect Scherzer will be in the game by the 5th for more of the same.

Glad they have Hendricks going tonight. Hoping the professor can make them look silly again.
    My issue about the whiffing is this - exactly how many times, in a 2-strike count, are they going to look stupid on the changeup?  There wasn't even any variance yesterday.  If it got to 2-2, 3-2, Strasburg refused to give in in what should have been fastball counts, and we couldn't spit on the junk outside of the zone.  Bryant looked dumb on every single K.  
    My argument to your point is below:

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Game 2 was on Edwards, not Maddon.  He was the right guy to be on the mound, but that was just an absolutely awful pitch to Harper.

Last night, though, it should have been apparent to pull Edwards after the Rendon walk.  He's proven to melt down more than enough recently when he gets himself into tight situations and last night was no different.

Anyway, pitching isn't our problem.  Starters have given up one earned run in 4 games.  We can allow the bullpen to give up a couple runs, but ONLY IF WE FUCKING SCORE.  This entire series has been nothing but impatience.  No one on the entire offense can work a fucking count.  Every single game this series the Nats starter goes into the 7th inning at like 75-80 pitches.  That's just utterly ridiculous.  Way too many first pitch swings and stop chasing those fucking change-ups in the damn dirt!!  We'd probably get better results if the guys just went into the box and didn't swing.  Nats pitchers don't even have to locate and work the zone.

I swear if these guys make Hendricks bail us out again tonight, my head might explode.  Score some fucking runs!
    On the plus side, we've won 3 straight elimination games and 4-1 over the last 3 seasons.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ All good points. My only argument is that Edwards should not have come into the game in that situation to begin with, but such is life.

As far as tonight, we need to fucking score. Spot on.  We've been a great team all year in 8-6 ball games, but not so much in 2-1 ball games.  Pitching trumps hitting in the postseason and that is what's hurting us.  Our starters have been lights out.  After that point is another story.  The Nats have a distinct advantage in that department, not to mention we will undoubtedly see Scherzer in some fashion tonight.

Anyway, time to be big boys and go out there and get it done.  No excuses. Just win! 
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Well, we've gotten some big breaks, and capitalized on some errors.  We really need to lock this game down right now.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    You blew it! We were all not posting on purpose! Just kidding.
    bflynn1 said:
    You blew it! We were all not posting on purpose! Just kidding.
    My bad..... Lol.  After last year, I don't believe in the superstitious stuff anymore.  My wife fell asleep.  I had to say something to someone
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

I'm glad Russell's bat has shown up tonight. And Zobrist has been clutch in getting on base. 
    Looking like Tony LaRussa with all the pitching changes
  • My God. Let's not put the lead off man on every damn inning.
    Mother fuck! I am getting too old for this shit! That would have been a great game to watch if I were not such a fan of the Cubs. Like, if that was NY vs. HO, that would have been terrific to watch. As it is, is a couple tums and a shot of Jack. Not necessarily in that order.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    DEEP DISH AND BASEBALL!! THAT’S WHAT CHICAGO DOES!!
    Mother fuck! I am getting too old for this shit! That would have been a great game to watch if I were not such a fan of the Cubs. Like, if that was NY vs. HO, that would have been terrific to watch. As it is, is a couple tums and a shot of Jack. Not necessarily in that order.
    Uh, yeah.  This is a rough morning at work.  What a game though.  It really had a bit of everything in it.  Just a wild game.  

Who starts game 1 tomorrow?  Lackey?  I fear the Dodgers will play HR Derby with him in that park.  He may be all we have to go to for a start, though.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Gtilley8 said:
    Uh, yeah.  This is a rough morning at work.  What a game though.  It really had a bit of everything in it.  Just a wild game.  

Who starts game 1 tomorrow?  Lackey?  I fear the Dodgers will play HR Derby with him in that park.  He may be all we have to go to for a start, though.
    I’d say that’s probably a good bet and most likely why they didn’t use him out of the pen last night.
    DEEP DISH AND BASEBALL!! THAT’S WHAT CHICAGO DOES!!
    And PJ shows at Wrigley!
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Gtilley8 said:

Early articles are saying Quintana gets the start.  I would not mind starting Lackey especially if we can get him to go 6+ innings.  He has actually been decent in the second half and his intensity might be a nice boost for a team that is probably exhausted.  Then we can start Quintana on Sunday to get Lester and Jake another day of rest.
    I think Lester demands (in a good way) the ball for Sunday's game. I could see Quintana starting game 1 (with a very short leash) with Lackey coming out of the pen after the 4th or so.
    Corey Seager was left off the Dodgers 25 man roster for the NLCS. Definitely works in the Cubs favor. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    rooting for either of these teams is like hoping trump is impeached so that pence can take over.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    rooting for either of these teams is like hoping trump is impeached so that pence can take over.
    We can agree on the political portion of this post. Being from Indiana, I thought we were winning big when we got rid of that scumbag. 
    Let me first say, I love the Cubs.  Have my entire life.  That said, I have never seen a worse bullpen.  They aren't winning shit with this group of jokers. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Let me first say, I love the Cubs.  Have my entire life.  That said, I have never seen a worse bullpen.  They aren't winning shit with this group of jokers. 
    True story. They are all garbage.
    bbiggs said:
    And yet they’re all the same guys we had last year, minus Wood. Truly puzzling.
    ^^ It sure is puzzling.  A true mystery.  
    bbiggs said:
    And yet they’re all the same guys we had last year, minus Wood. Truly puzzling.
    Except for the one that doesn't suck (Miller). 

bbiggs,  I think we all said it when Q allowed the 2nd walk. 
    Basically we need to get 7 innings from our starter each night, Strop in the 8th, and Davis to close it out to even have a chance at a win.  Our totally inept offense sure as hell won’t fucking help the pitchers out. Batting .172 in the postseason.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    bbiggs said:
    Let me first say, I love the Cubs.  Have my entire life.  That said, I have never seen a worse bullpen. 

you must have missed the last two years of Giants bullpen.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I would have rather seen us pull a high school pitcher out of the stands than to have activated Rondon.  Why on Earth is that guy on the roster?  He might be worse than Marmol
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Dodgers fans gotta be getting jacked: Edwards warming up with the game tied and a man on.