PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Anyone going to GnR Sunday? 
    Annoying that they are not telling us who the opener is.  Have great seats....last time I had decent seats but for a Football Game.  ;)  This will be a much better view/sound.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GnR kicked ass...played for 3+ hours and brought a better set than last year, delivered @ Wells Fago vs. The Linc.  Much better overall show, although I was more excited to see them last year.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Am I a lousy PJ fan for not being at all interested in this Let's Play 2 thing? Seriously, nothing could beat the 4/28/16 and 4/29/16 shows, and I already own them.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Am I a lousy PJ fan for not being at all interested in this Let's Play 2 thing? Seriously, nothing could beat the 4/28/16 and 4/29/16 shows, and I already own them.
    Not at all. I have zero interest in it, but I'll still most likely get the blue ray. I enjoy myself some loud, live PJ on the tube/surround sound when I'm not doing anything on a Friday night and want to pound beers and smoke. I don't see any reason to buy all this other crap that comes with it. But, again, if there's a PJ video I'm probably buying it.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    god i hope Ruben Amaro Jr. doesn't become the next phillies manager!

http://www.philliesnation.com/2017/10/phillies-rumored-managerial-candidates-include-ahem-ruben-amaro-jr/

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    agree and that would be a pr nightmare for the Phillies. fans would be all over him from the get go..

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

http://m.phillies.mlb.com/news/article/258291854/phillies-interview-3-manager-candidates/

Club meeting with trio of members of the organization

Sources Phils interview 3 manager candidates
    Third-base coach Juan Samuel is one of the three internal candidates to interview for the Phillies' manager opening. (AP)
    By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com | @ToddZolecki October 11th, 2017

PHILADELPHIA -- The Phillies have stepped up their managerial search.

On Wednesday, sources said the Phillies are interviewing three internal candidates this week. Juan Samuel interviewed Tuesday, Jorge Velandia interviewed Wednesday and Dusty Wathan will interview before the weekend. The Phillies are expected to begin meeting with external candidates next week.

Samuel, 56, has been a Phillies coach since 2011, including serving as third-base coach since '16. He is highly regarded and served as interim manager of the Orioles for 51 games in 2010.

Velandia, 42, is a special assistant to Phillies general manager Matt Klentak. He fits the mold of the young, energetic, analytically-inclined candidate the Phillies seem to be seeking.

Wathan, 44, is the Triple-A Lehigh Valley manager. He is a rising star based on how he has developed most of the team's talented young players and prospects.

It is unclear if the Phillies have finalized their list of external candidates, but names like former Tigers manager Brad Ausmus, Red Sox bench coach Gary DiScarcina, Astros bench coach Alex Cora, former Mariners bench coach Tim Bogar, former catcher David Ross and White Sox bench coach Joe McEwing have been discussed. Certainly there are many others.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter remains the biggest name connected to the Phillies' managerial opening because of his history with Phillies president Andy MacPhail and Klentak, but sources said there is no chance of Showalter coming to Philadelphia. Showalter is under contract through 2018, and there is no hope Orioles owner Peter Angelos will let him out of his deal.

Former Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and former bench coach Larry Bowa also are not candidates. While Amaro is regarded as a managerial candidate, he doesn't make sense for the Phillies. Bowa is expected to remain in the organization, but not as a member of the big league coaching staff.

Mackanin on stepping down

The Phillies have had no shortage of suitors since they announced on the final weekend of the season that former manager Pete Mackanin has been reassigned to a front-office role. Most in the industry see the Phillies as an organization on the rise with talented, up-and-coming players on the big league roster, a deep farm system and an owner that is ready to spend millions to fill the holes they cannot fill internally.

MacPhail said last week that he hopes the Phillies find their manager before the GM meetings, which begin Nov. 13. But it is not out of the question the Phillies can find their man before the end of the month.

Todd Zolecki has covered the Phillies since 2003, and for MLB.com since 2009. Follow him on Twitterand Facebook and listen to his podcast. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Share This
    • Email
    +
     8 COMMENTS
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Blues Traveler @ TLA tomorrow night.  Stoked, will be the 2nd time in a week I am at throwing distance from a favorite band.  I love how every band loves playing in Philly.
    Blues Traveler @ TLA tomorrow night.  Stoked, will be the 2nd time in a week I am at throwing distance from a favorite band.  I love how every band loves playing in Philly.

You see that story over the summer about Popper and some random guy on twitter going at it? Not sure of all the details but Popper doxed him, gave out the guy's personal info and was relentlessly arguing with this guy. Was pretty weird.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Also--I share everyone's general lackluster feelings towards "Let's Play Two" but FS1 is showing it tomorrow night after the Cubs game. Set yo dvr's
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Also--I share everyone's general lackluster feelings towards "Let's Play Two" but FS1 is showing it tomorrow night after the Cubs game. Set yo dvr's
    After the Yankees game, bro.  There is no cubs game tomorrow.

Going to be a glorious Friday night.

You see that story over the summer about Popper and some random guy on twitter going at it? Not sure of all the details but Popper doxed him, gave out the guy's personal info and was relentlessly arguing with this guy. Was pretty weird.
    I did not see that but will look for it.

Also set the DVR -- and set it to tape the few hours beyond in the event the Yankees game runs long.

Also set the DVR -- and set it to tape the few hours beyond in the event the Yankees game runs long.
    The designated hitter can go directly to hell
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

The designated hitter can go directly to hell
    Seconded!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    TLA VIP is nice.  Seat drink service, front row balcony.  Arrived 90 mins after the GA folks entered.  You also cannot drink out on the floor (fuck that)

Haha - I totally forgot about this, and I stumbled upon it while searching something in my Gmail...

http://phillyfixmycar.blogspot.com/

Haha.
    it's really kind of sad watching Chase Utley being so feeble a the plate in these playoffs.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    well this happened 24 years ago today :disappointed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F5HwiGm7lg

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Wrong thread.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

I like that he's only 44 and knows all the young bucks better than anyone.....but definitely not SEXY choice though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

I like that he's only 44 and knows all the young bucks better than anyone.....but definitely not SEXY choice though.
    You're not a sexy choice

You're not a sexy choice

This is true.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    i would be ok with it
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    pjhawks said:
    it's really kind of sad watching Chase Utley being so feeble a the plate in these playoffs.

he’s soaked the d**gers for $24M, so I wouldn’t feel too badly for him.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited October 2017
    Of the names being talked about I think I would prefer Kapler. Young, outside the box thinker, from outside of the organization (would be the first one since Francona, I believe). Would be good to get a fresh perspective for once.

Wouldn't mind Dusty either, just because of his familiarity with the young bucks but my choice would be Kapler. 

gophils
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    as in gabe kapler???
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited October 2017
    Kapler it is.

Klentak making his mark on this franchise 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Kapler it is.

Klentak making his mark on this franchise 
    yes but is that a good thing?  how can you hire someone who has never managed and only coached for 1 year at the very lowest level of baseball?  personally i think it's a dumb hire.   how do you hire someone with no on field experience for the top managerial job in your organization?  i hope i'm wrong and will freely admit down the line if i am but i don't find it likely.