Hurricane Maria/Crisis in Puerto Rico

stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
edited September 2017 in A Moving Train
Post edited by stuckinline on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    A rough year for the Caribbean.  Seven dead in Dominica.  This one is predicted to stay off the US coast but too early to tell.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Reading some of the latest news on Puerto Rico, several questions come to mind.  Many or most of the residents in Puerto Rico will be out of power for months.  Most of the gas stations are down.  Puerto Rico hugely suburban.  How will the people there live, get by?  Where will all the money come from that's needed to rebuild when Houston and many other parts of the Gulf region are a wreck?

Speaking of, what's going on in places like Houston?  Irma and Harvey have only been gone for a matter of weeks and yet how much do we hear about the havoc left in their wake.  What has happened to the people who lost everything there?

And where is this all going to take us when the US debt is already sky high?  Is this the beginning of what James Howard Kunstler refers to as "The Long Emergency"? 

I'd say this is a good time for all of us to learn to live a more simple life.  Learn some good basic skills.  Live closer to work.  And have a good circle of friends.  Life is getting interesting.

• Many people can't image living without power for six days yet alone six months.

The former Presidents are taking action:

Former Presidents expand hurricane relief efforts to Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands 

"One America Appeal," the hurricane relief effort established by all five living former US Presidents -- Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama -- will now include aid for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, which were hit by Hurricane Maria.

The fund was established to aid relief efforts in Texas after Hurricane Irma, and was later expanded to include Hurricane Irma recovery efforts in Florida.

Many people can't image living without power for six days yet alone six months.

The former Presidents are taking action:

Former Presidents expand hurricane relief efforts to Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands 

"One America Appeal," the hurricane relief effort established by all five living former US Presidents -- Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama -- will now include aid for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, which were hit by Hurricane Maria.

The fund was established to aid relief efforts in Texas after Hurricane Irma, and was later expanded to include Hurricane Irma recovery efforts in Florida.

Meanwhile, the current president Tweets about football.  Man....

• (CNN)Rapper Pitbull sent his private plane to hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico to transport cancer patients to the mainland US for chemotherapy treatments. 

Hurricane Maria left Puerto Rico in ruins, with mass power outages and almost half the residents without drinking water. Of the island's 69 hospitals, only 11 had fuel and power on Tuesday.
    The lack of electricity and fuel have yielded dire consequences.
    At a hospital in San Juan, two people died in an intensive care unit after it ran out of diesel, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz said. And 12 children continue to depend on generators and batteries to keep ventilators running at San Jorge Children's Hospital. 
      The 36-year-old rapper hasn't been public about the part he's playing to ferry patients. When contacted by CNN, he said through a spokesman, "Thank God we're blessed to help. Just doing my part." 

• Should I send money, donate supplies or both?

Anyone close to the matter have some ideas?
    • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
      Should I send money, donate supplies or both?

from what I've read about it this morning, supplies are plentiful, but it's the humans they need to deliver them. I saw a picture of a whole wack of storage containers full of supplies, with no truck drivers to deliver them. 
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

from what I've read about it this morning, supplies are plentiful, but it's the humans they need to deliver them. I saw a picture of a whole wack of storage containers full of supplies, with no truck drivers to deliver them. 
      How awful, to think that what they need is right there but can't be provided to them. 
      my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

How awful, to think that what they need is right there but can't be provided to them. 
      http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/us/puerto-rico-aid-problem/index.html
      Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Can the National Guard help distribute the supplies?
    • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
      edited September 2017
      Can the National Guard help distribute the supplies?
      There are already some NG troops down there, but obviously not anywhere near enough. The US Army is also down there, apparently.... but it looks like the entire US military isn't powerful enough to bring aid to 3.5 million of its own citizens. I mean, they only have an annual budget of $825 billion. How are they supposed to pull off the near impossible job of distributing supplies to Americans suffering a humanitarian crisis with that?? :angry:
      Post edited by PJ_Soul on
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
      edited September 2017
      PAWS and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society stepping up to help in the Caribbean Islands post hurricanes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucZN3pYi2-Q

Post edited by brianlux on

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
      But kneeling at a football game is more important.  (!!!!!)
      The love he receives is the love that is saved
    • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
      edited October 2017
      Kat said:
      Thank you to this group helping in PR. I watched several of the videos from Jason Maddy. Wow.
      Post edited by RunIntoTheRain on
      Kat said:
      Unbelievable.  And frustrating because what can most of us do?

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
      As of today 18% of the island has electricity
      At this rate it will take 6 months or more to get to 100%.

Yup the white house is doing some good work
    • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
      Nothing to see here, White House says everything is great in Puerto Rico.

Dead animals in Puerto Rico water, mayor says

AT THIS HOUR

San Juan Mayor Carmen Cruz asks the international community for drinking water, stressing that the water supply in Puerto Rico has been contaminated by dead animals. 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
      Just donated again.  This is fucked...have to wonder if the donations are making an impact on getting items on docks to people in need.  All of this fake news is misleading us!
    • Money over stuff.  Money can buy the right stuff at the right time.

People/companies have delivered bins full of stuff to docks with no plan on how to distribute. FEMA is only equipped to plan what they are doing. Not what others are doing.

As one local doctor said - send money even though sending stuff makes you feel better.

There are a number of logistical issues that saying - why can't they do this? why can't the do that?  - is foolish.  Things can always be done better, but the infrastructure was decaying before this, so the devastation is beyond your wildest imagination.  Getting up into the mountains (yes, there are mountains right in the middle) is near impossible.  Yesterday, they had a "normal" rainstorm, and the whole Island flooded (As it would have normally done in that instance, but now exacerbated by the destruction).  People trying to get to work took 2-3 hours to make 15 minute trips. 

Only send stuff if you have a plan to distribute it yourself.  Otherwise, send money to a reputable place and trust that it will be used appropriately.  If you send stuff or run down there yourself without a plan, all you are doing is stressing the situation and the precious, limited resources trying to make their way to the people in need.

If you need a place that will direct all funds to Puerto Rico, please let me know. I can recommend something for you to research (As you shouldn't take someone on a Pearl Jam message board's word either). 

Thank you for all your concern. I'm not sure some people realized Puerto Ricans are US citizens before this happened.  This is a long road back for our friends, family and colleagues in Puerto Rico, and we can all help by supporting the people on the ground trying to make things better.

Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
      What's pathetic is how Puerto Rico has faded from public view so we can focus on Harvey Weinstein, NFL flag policies and Trump's IQ. 
      It's a hopeless situation...
    • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Money over stuff.  Money can buy the right stuff at the right time.

People/companies have delivered bins full of stuff to docks with no plan on how to distribute. FEMA is only equipped to plan what they are doing. Not what others are doing.

As one local doctor said - send money even though sending stuff makes you feel better.

There are a number of logistical issues that saying - why can't they do this? why can't the do that?  - is foolish.  Things can always be done better, but the infrastructure was decaying before this, so the devastation is beyond your wildest imagination.  Getting up into the mountains (yes, there are mountains right in the middle) is near impossible.  Yesterday, they had a "normal" rainstorm, and the whole Island flooded (As it would have normally done in that instance, but now exacerbated by the destruction).  People trying to get to work took 2-3 hours to make 15 minute trips. 

Only send stuff if you have a plan to distribute it yourself.  Otherwise, send money to a reputable place and trust that it will be used appropriately.  If you send stuff or run down there yourself without a plan, all you are doing is stressing the situation and the precious, limited resources trying to make their way to the people in need.

If you need a place that will direct all funds to Puerto Rico, please let me know. I can recommend something for you to research (As you shouldn't take someone on a Pearl Jam message board's word either). 

Thank you for all your concern. I'm not sure some people realized Puerto Ricans are US citizens before this happened.  This is a long road back for our friends, family and colleagues in Puerto Rico, and we can all help by supporting the people on the ground trying to make things better.

Yes good advice 
      jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
      Always send money not goods......

Disaster Relief Donations That Don't  Bring Relief
      https://youtu.be/pzH-7k035sM
      Where are you, FMC?  You seriously suck.,.....
      Where are you?
      This goes back a few weeks but at least partly illustrates why things are going badly in Puerto Rico:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/09/26/the-very-big-ocean-between-here-and-puerto-rico-is-not-a-perfect-excuse-for-a-lack-of-aid/?utm_term=.dfd94b5bdafb

"Twice on Tuesday, President Trump offered an excuse for why government aid to Puerto Rico has been slow to arrive after Hurricane Maria: Puerto Rico is an island.

“It’s very tough, because it’s an island,” Trump said during a meeting with members of the House. “In Texas, we can ship the trucks right out there. And you know, we’ve gotten A-pluses on Texas and on Florida, and we will also on Puerto Rico. But the difference is, this is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. And it’s a big ocean; it’s a very big ocean. And we’re doing a really good job.”

For cryin' out loud, Donald, it's THE CARIBBEAN, not the Pacific Ocean!

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
      Agreed Brian. I am speechless.

(CNN)Nearly three weeks after Hurricane Maria pummeled Puerto Rico, the vast majority of the island remains without power and the death toll from the storm has risen to 45, authorities said.

At least 113 people remain unaccounted for, according to Karixia Ortiz, a spokeswoman for Puerto Rico's Department of Public Safety.
      The recovery has moved slowly since Maria struck the US territory on September 20, leaving most of the island without basic services such as power and running water, according to residents, relief workers and local elected officials. 
        Acting US Department of Homeland Security Elaine Duke will make her second trip to the island on Thursday, DHS spokesman David Lapan said Wednesday. 
        The visit comes as hospitals throughout the cash-strapped island of 3.4 million people have been running low on medicine and fuel. Some residents and local elected officials have said they expect the death toll to rise.

In the town of Caguas, in the central mountain range, some patients -- including one breathing with the aid of a ventilator -- had to be evacuated to the Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort near San Juan after a generator failed, Dr. Christian Rodriguez said this week. 

At least two people have died from leptospirosis, which spreads when the urine of infected animals gets into drinking water, San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz told CNN Wednesday. People have been drinking water from creeks contaminated by dead animals, she said. 
        "We're not out of the woods yet," she said. "We are now starting to see a lot of health issues. ... So we are in a great effort, a great humanitarian effort."