Why doesn't PJ film every show?

Now obviously I'm not saying that every show needs to be released (at least this minute, haha), but why don't they have a small camera crew with them for each show these days?
They only need a few stationary cameras set up each night and maybe two guys actually using a camera around the stage. Maybe one side stage moving a bit and one between the rail and the stage. Could come in handy later and bring in good money for them (and great happiness to us later). The band Phish does it, and I find it weird that PJ doesn't at this stage in their careers. (not comparing the two bands from a musical standpoint before anyone jumps on that.) Just find it strange that they wouldn't be doing that and eventually make downloadable show videos available eventually. 
2008 - Camden, NJ 1
2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
2012 - Philadelphia, PA
2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2

Comments

• lbpeltzlbpeltz Posts: 98
    It's interesting, they were on the forefront of release cds of every show but hardly ever a video. I'm all for it if they want to. 
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    I think they do. We just don't ever see a finished product 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    NewJPage said:
    I think they do. We just don't ever see a finished product 

They do image-mag coverage for the screens above the stage,

so I'm with you...I'd bet they record all of these shows!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    We know they recorded Fenway 1 for sure because it was shown the next night at the House of Blues. I assume they record everything, but why releases of that footage are so scarce is a mystery. Hopefully the presumed Wrigley Blu-Ray will be mindblowing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    PJ does technology like Comcast deals with cord cutting. No idea what to do so they do what has traditionally been done. Fight it. Ignoring technology that can let people watch a show...after the show...is ridiculous. Anyone can walk up to a show and record. They should broadcast all shows live and charge. I'd argue you do history a disservice by not doing it. If The Who could have and didn't man...that's a missed opportunity for the fans and the history of the band.

No less people will goto the show. That what the NFL thought so if the game doesn't sell out it's blacked out. They were wrong. People still go. Same thing. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    They are also clearly not comfortable releasing anything not at their best. Thus PJ 20 never seeing the light of day. Which I don't get at all. You can't play 100 different songs a tour and be tight. We obviously love them for this and they like to do it so embrace it.

You want less people recording on phones? Record it better. 

No offence... I've been to phish shows but on their worst day PJ > phish in my opinion so I think pj just don't know wtf to do or how to do it. PM me PJ I do IT infrastructure. It would be pretty simple as you point out. 

Think about it like a professional athlete would. Some games u suck. You can't always be on. So you go home and get ready to win tomorrow. Don't dwell on imperfections. 

History hates those who try to prevent art from being consumed by the masses. I know that's not this and dramatic but how is it different? 0 harm comes from spreading the Jam. Music is love. And then couple this with the flying to a mountain top to play for rich elites and I'm losing my faith in their intentions. 

You fight tooth and nail to stop me, a club member since 93, from even HEARING your elite mountain top show. 

Just super uncool and frankly disappointing. 
  • Would love to have shows I have been too on film. 1998 Rod Laver Arena. Only have the audio
  • Just go to You Tube. There are 20,000 people recording every show. A better question is why Randall's 2 or MSG 2 1998 haven't been released from the vaults on vinyl. 
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Who has the time to sit around and watch a bunch of concerts?

• VoncasterVoncaster Posts: 29
    I remember seeing PJ in 2014 in Minneapolis, and they had real nice cameras with tracks for smooth tracking shots. The professional video is being shot. But who knows if it has any purpose beyond the video board at that particular show.

Presumably the cost of editing and distributing video is higher and the demand is lower (demands of listening to music vs. watching a concert). I would suspect that Pearl Jam also has the data to back this up. Touring Band VHS, PJ20 videos vs. sales of bootlegs. I'm not privy to these numbers, but I would guess audio bootleg sales > video sales.
    2023-09-02 St. Paul, MN
    2023-08-31 St. Paul, MN
    2018-08-08 Seattle, WA
    2016-08-20 Chicago, IL - Wrigley 1
    2014-10-19 St.Paul, MN
    2010-05-03 Kansas City, MO
    2009-08-24 Chicago, IL
    2008-06-25 New York, NY
    2007-08-05 Chicago, IL
    2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN
    2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN
    2000-08-10 East Troy, WI - The Ice Bowl
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Just go to You Tube. There are 20,000 people recording every show. A better question is why Randall's 2 or MSG 2 1998 haven't been released from the vaults on vinyl. 
    I like the way you think!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Just go to You Tube. There are 20,000 people recording every show. A better question is why Randall's 2 or MSG 2 1998 haven't been released from the vaults on vinyl. 
    I like the way you think!!!
    I have a very good brain.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Voncaster said:
    I remember seeing PJ in 2014 in Minneapolis, and they had real nice cameras with tracks for smooth tracking shots. The professional video is being shot. But who knows if it has any purpose beyond the video board at that particular show.

Presumably the cost of editing and distributing video is higher and the demand is lower (demands of listening to music vs. watching a concert). I would suspect that Pearl Jam also has the data to back this up. Touring Band VHS, PJ20 videos vs. sales of bootlegs. I'm not privy to these numbers, but I would guess audio bootleg sales > video sales.
    when they last redid this website I thought for sure they'd start adding some of their shows to the site since that last update  added a 'video' tab to the top (i'm pretty sure that was never there before if i wrong i apologize).  someday....
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I don't think PJ likes the video format a whole lot.

Even though they always had an open taping policy, it was accompanied by a no video cameras policy.   They don't put out live dvd/bluray's too often (11 years since the last one).   When they do festivals, quite often they asked for their video not to be streamed/televised :(

I think the simple answer is that the band (or someone in the band) isn't a big fan of video.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited September 2017
    Zod said:

Even though they always had an open taping policy, it was accompanied by a no video cameras policy.   They don't put out live dvd/bluray's too often (11 years since the last one).   When they do festivals, quite often they asked for their video not to be streamed/televised :(

I think the simple answer is that the band (or someone in the band) isn't a big fan of video.
    PJ has filmed and recorded all of their concert since the beginning of the Lightning Bolt Tour with their own crew and have many many shows before that filmed in the can. The cost of editing them and distribution is whatever they choose it to be. They own them. Just as they have the CDs available for download or CD essentially made to order, their is no real overhead cost, they could do the same if they chose. They could stream, they could have it for download or have it on a hard disc Blu-ray Disc. The cost is extremely minimal. It does not have to be a huge worldwide release as this Wrigley one is. You would need only a single person to edit the shows from the multi-cam raw material. They simply don't play that many shows where it takes that long. Even with the length of their shows it could be done by a post production co. or in house (which is what they would do). The crew they have in place is top notch, with 15 state of the art HD cameras and the end result could look excellent at a nominal cost.

They archive all of the footage but choose not to even release a single complete show. That is the sad part if you ask me. I am still holding out hope that there may be a deluxe version of Wrigley but I doubt it. They did not archive PJ20 properly and the raw footage was lost by the venue. We know the Spectrum show was scrapped but filmed as others along the way. Not a single complete Bluray ever by them or a complete show even in Standard Definition since 2003 MSG. They have obviously made a choice to prefer the themed docu / live  style releases. 
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Zod said:

im sure its eddie
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I understand why they don't record every show even though they probably do. 

I'm currently in the process of deleting 75 or so demos of my songs in the honor of destroying myself. 

• leep75leep75 Posts: 265
    I think they should simply drop the restriction on fan taping.  The 40 or so that I have are mostly excellent quality.

leep