Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Wobbie said:
    lolobugg said:
    Gtilley8 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    Yeah I shiver a bit thinking about how Daniel Murphy knocked us around with the Mets
    I'll agree with that.  Murphy has had our number.  Don't underestimate the Dusty Baker factor here, though.  He's bound to blow at least one game due to just being stubborn.  The Nats don't exactly have a real scary bullpen, and the prospects of playing against a less than 100% Bryce Harper shift the series in our favor, I believe.  Whatever happens, its been a pretty fun year of baseball on the north side.  I could really get used to making the playoffs every year.  

Agree with the Dusty Baker factor.

one of the most overrated managers ever. right there with Bobby Cox

uh.....logan? dusty has never been overrated. in fact, he's been BLAMED for playoff failures in SF, chicago, cinci and washington.

he's a way cool dude, tho.
    Mr. Toothpick never disappoints!  And yes, he's extremely overrated.  You, me, and the guy downtown living under I75 could have managed all 4 of those teams to the post season.  

Biggest spot of the season, and Dusty lays off making the decision on Weiters.  Then makes sure he tells the press after the game that he discussed it with him on the mound.  Zero talk about numbers or match-ups, maybe having some sort of data to back up his move.  I read somewhere that his reasoning was "I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if Schwarber hit one out."  WOW!  He had to know we'd counter with a very capable right-handed batter.  
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    In Dusty we trusty! 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    How is Anthony Rizzo not in the discussion for MVP?

I know Postseason doesn't count toward voting, but if what he's done so far this series isn't an indicator of how valuable (you know, the V in MVP) he is - and has been - to this team, I don't know what is.

Dude had career highs in almost every major offensive category this season, is one of the best defensive 1B in the league, and led his team from 4.5 GB and a sub-.500 record at the break to a second straight NL Central Division title and third straight trip to the playoffs.  Frank fucking Chance was the last Cubs 1B to do the latter.
  • whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,067

https://youtu.be/D5njthQMFgU

from my seat, Game 3

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    So they move the game and we're still delayed lol
  • So how long are they going to be willing to wait to start the game? If it's cancelled for today, will they play the next game tomorrow at Wrigley?
    Postponed till tomorrow afternoon. 
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    bflynn1 said:
    We will be facing a much tougher pitcher tomorrow
    PJ-Cubs said:
    bflynn1 said:
    We will be facing a much tougher pitcher tomorrow
    Yep, Strasburg again. We can beat anyone though. 
    Nope. They're throwing Roark tomorrow. Strasburg game 5 if necessary. I love Dusty!! :)
    Good Lord... I guess he's trying to "save" Scherzer for a potential game one NLCS match up?? I would throw Strasburg tomorrow and then throw Scherzer in game 5 on 3 days rest. But what do I know, it's not like if you don't win now you go home or something. Whatever works in our favor though!! Go Cubs Go!
    ^^ Exactly. I'm wondering if Dusty forgot he's no longer managing the Cubs. Seems he's doing everything in his power to help us. We'll take it! 
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,292
    Strasburg is under the weather and could not do his bullpen session today
    PJ-Cubs said:
    Strasburg is under the weather and could not do his bullpen session today
    Yeah and Dusty is complaining his team is sick from mold at Wrigley. Now I've heard it all. 
    Strasburg starting now.  Knew it was just a deceptive ploy.  I'd rather face him, honestly.  We always seem to lay eggs against shitty pitchers like Roark.
    I'm more worried about Arrieta after what - 15 days rest?
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    bbiggs said:
    ^^ Exactly. I'm wondering if Dusty forgot he's no longer managing the Cubs. Seems he's doing everything in his power to help us. We'll take it! 
    Soooo what you're saying, is he's coaching the Nationals just the same as he coached the Cubs.

:)

Some of the moves he makes, you have to wonder if he's that much of an idiot, gambling on the game or is it just the high mold level in Chicago messing with him?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I can't imagine leaving a game I paid that much to see when my team has two at bats left. Anything can happen.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I can't imagine leaving a game I paid that much to see when my team has two at bats left. Anything can happen.

especially since it's the last game you'll see until april :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Wobbie said:

especially since it's the last game you'll see until april :wink:
    How many of those people will be kicking themselves if the Cubs can come back and pull this out?
    Over-managing at its finest by Mr. Maddon.  Pull Lester, who was virtually umhittable, for Edwards who has been very inconsistent, with 2 outs and Lester having shown no problems getting out righties.  Maddon's always tinkering and his gamble lost this time. 
    bbiggs said:
    Over-managing at its finest by Mr. Maddon.  Pull Lester, who was virtually umhittable, for Edwards who has been very inconsistent, with 2 outs and Lester having shown no problems getting out righties.  Maddon's always tinkering and his gamble lost this time. 
    I have to agree.  These two losses are both on Maddon.  He managed to pull all the wrong strings at exactly the right time.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If y’all want to get rid of Maddon, we’ll take him over at Fenway.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    If y’all want to get rid of Maddon, we’ll take him over at Fenway.
    I'd never advocate for getting rid of him.  Some moves are head scratchers, though.  

Gotta have Hendricks bring it tomorrow.  And maybe have Bryant show up.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

Yeah I'm not saying I want him gone by any means.  He's made quite a few questionable calls though and they rarely catch up to him. Tonight's call did. 
    That one was rough to watch. Hopefully between Edwards and Davis doing their thing, that takes some of the sting from Addison Russell and the error he made. Pretty concerned about tomorrow night.

The rain gods were not on our side this season. Roark yesterday would have really been much nicer. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    That one was rough to watch. Hopefully between Edwards and Davis doing their thing, that takes some of the sting from Addison Russell and the error he made. Pretty concerned about tomorrow night.

The rain gods were not on our side this season. Roark yesterday would have really been much nicer. 
    Agreed.  Rather would have seen Roark, but it is what it is.  Someone needs to hit besides just Rizzo and Zobrist.  Hopefully we can pull one out tomorrow.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

edited October 2017
    They are going to have to act early I think. The team has been insufferable to watch against the power pitching of Strasburg and Scherzer. I mean you can literally look at the players as they step into the box and tell who is going to whiff and flail the bat around. I suspect Scherzer will be in the game by the 5th for more of the same.

Glad they have Hendricks going tonight. Hoping the professor can make them look silly again.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    They are going to have to act early I think. The team has been insufferable to watch against the power pitching of Strasburg and Scherzer. I mean you can literally look at the players as they step into the box and tell who is going to whiff and flail the bat around. I suspect Scherzer will be in the game by the 5th for more of the same.

Glad they have Hendricks going tonight. Hoping the professor can make them look silly again.
    My issue about the whiffing is this - exactly how many times, in a 2-strike count, are they going to look stupid on the changeup?  There wasn't even any variance yesterday.  If it got to 2-2, 3-2, Strasburg refused to give in in what should have been fastball counts, and we couldn't spit on the junk outside of the zone.  Bryant looked dumb on every single K.  
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL