Harvey Weinstein

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Only on AMT can people argue in a thread about an obvious sexual predator...taking the same sides they normally do. If this was a trump donor most of you would be losing your shit.
    trump did worse. I wish it just a trump donor that we were worried about. What sides are people taking, by the way?
    Oh please. 
    Which part does the oh please apply to? 13 women alleged sexual assault against trump and his former wife accused him of raping her. He also admitted to sexually assaulting women. Or is it my last sentence about taking side you're referring to?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Trump is scum, but we also have multiple active Trump threads. Weinstein has been accused of rape, so I'm not sure what is gained by arguing Trump has done worse. Worse than rape? That feels like a deflection. "Yeah, but, Trump..."

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    Trump is scum, but we also have multiple active Trump threads. Weinstein has been accused of rape, so I'm not sure what is gained by arguing Trump has done worse. Worse than rape? That feels like a deflection. "Yeah, but, Trump..."
    I can go with trump did the same as Weinstein, then. If you go back through the thread, 'both sides' were referenced as though trump is someone on an equal plane with Weinstein. This is trying to be made into a liberals are hypocrites issue which is intended to deflect away from trump.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Only on AMT can people argue in a thread about an obvious sexual predator...taking the same sides they normally do. If this was a trump donor most of you would be losing your shit.
    trump did worse. I wish it just a trump donor that we were worried about. What sides are people taking, by the way?
    Oh please. 
    Which part does the oh please apply to? 13 women alleged sexual assault against trump and his former wife accused him of raping her. He also admitted to sexually assaulting women. Or is it my last sentence about taking side you're referring to?
    It applies to you deflecting this shit onto someone else instead of just facing what it is.

hippiemom = goodness
    JimmyV said:
    I can go with trump did the same as Weinstein, then. If you go back through the thread, 'both sides' were referenced as though trump is someone on an equal plane with Weinstein. This is trying to be made into a liberals are hypocrites issue which is intended to deflect away from trump.
    They are all a bunch of hypocrites. And anyone that supports trump and is disgusted by Harvey is a hypocrite too.

hippiemom = goodness
    JimmyV said:

Weinstein has been insulated and protected for years. He's left countless victims in his wake. All the while he has been shoveling cash to Democratic politicians. I think liberals would do well to own that there is some hypocrisy here. That Republicans have pounced on this issue doesn't change that. Continuing to point fingers at Trump does feel like a deflection.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Um, so, back to sexual predators, instead of politics? Because, again, this is about power, not politics. Some things are always wrong, regardless of one's political affiliation. Rape? Always wrong. Torture? Always wrong. Always. There are no exceptions for "S/he's on my team, so it's okay!"

I don't know where people are getting the idea that Dems are silent on the topic or that "If this was a T**** donor most of you would be losing your shit." I'm a socially liberal libertarian, and I lose my shit when anyone's rights are violated. Period.

1) Silent Dems?? I've been following Chris Hayes on Twitter, and Weinstein has been the dominant story for the last few days. Slate has a bunch of stories about it. My husband came home from the gym the other day, actually rattled by the number of enraged women he saw on television (hint: he wasn't watching Fox News).

2) "If this was a T**** donor..." Wait. How about, "If this was T****..." -- because it IS T****. He IS a sexual predator, never mind what his donors are doing, he himself is a known, admitted, sexual predator. So I'm really not sure what your point is.

There's also a story today about how Terry Crews was assaulted by a top Hollywood executive last year -- in front of his wife, no less. Sexual assault is about power. Predators are protected because people are scared and/or because they value money more than the rights of the victims. Could we maybe have a discussion about straightening out those skewed values? How about a discussion of what we teach our children? I have two sons, and we made sure both of them knew about consent and appropriate behavior, and that they need to intervene if at all possible if they see someone who is in danger. My younger son just started college, and he is disturbed by the predatory behavior he is seeing in some of his peers. I think there is an important discussion to be had here,
    Spot on .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited October 2017
    Oh please. 
    It applies to you deflecting this shit onto someone else instead of just facing what it is.

I'm not deflecting anything, I'm pointing out the deflection. You know what equal hypocrisy would be? Weinstein's accused of sexual assault, Weinstein admits to sexual assault on audio that came out during his campaign for president in 2020. After that, liberals all cheered him on and elect him president. 

If people want to call the others out that cozied up to Weinstein when they had knowledge of him being a sex offender, then that's fine. But sorry, it doesn't fit under the label of liberal hypocrisy. 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Conor Friedersdorf presents two markedly different conservative takes on the story; this piece is well worth reading (of course, I think his articles always are well worth reading).

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/one-harvey-weinstein-in-hollywood-another-in-the-white-house/542427/

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Weinstein leaving for Europe for sex addiction therapy.  From there probably going to a country with no extradition agreement with the USA. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited October 2017
    Miramax and Weinstein Company basically allowed a rapist and abuser to roam free for 30 years.   I hope some attorneys take those companies down along with any executives that knew.   
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Conor Friedersdorf presents two markedly different conservative takes on the story; this piece is well worth reading (of course, I think his articles always are well worth reading).

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/one-harvey-weinstein-in-hollywood-another-in-the-white-house/542427/

Excellent article!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Um, so, back to sexual predators, instead of politics? Because, again, this is about power, not politics. Some things are always wrong, regardless of one's political affiliation. Rape? Always wrong. Torture? Always wrong. Always. There are no exceptions for "S/he's on my team, so it's okay!"

I don't know where people are getting the idea that Dems are silent on the topic or that "If this was a T**** donor most of you would be losing your shit." I'm a socially liberal libertarian, and I lose my shit when anyone's rights are violated. Period.

1) Silent Dems?? I've been following Chris Hayes on Twitter, and Weinstein has been the dominant story for the last few days. Slate has a bunch of stories about it. My husband came home from the gym the other day, actually rattled by the number of enraged women he saw on television (hint: he wasn't watching Fox News).

2) "If this was a T**** donor..." Wait. How about, "If this was T****..." -- because it IS T****. He IS a sexual predator, never mind what his donors are doing, he himself is a known, admitted, sexual predator. So I'm really not sure what your point is.

There's also a story today about how Terry Crews was assaulted by a top Hollywood executive last year -- in front of his wife, no less. Sexual assault is about power. Predators are protected because people are scared and/or because they value money more than the rights of the victims. Could we maybe have a discussion about straightening out those skewed values? How about a discussion of what we teach our children? I have two sons, and we made sure both of them knew about consent and appropriate behavior, and that they need to intervene if at all possible if they see someone who is in danger. My younger son just started college, and he is disturbed by the predatory behavior he is seeing in some of his peers. I think there is an important discussion to be had here,
    great post.  as a guy i agree there needs to be discussions on how to stop sexual assaults. it has to be up to us to change it.  this type of behavior has to be called out by men who are aware of it.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    both HC and Obama have made statements denouncing him. is that good enough? or should they give all the money back too?

Why does everyone think all of these people (Hollywood, recipients of political dollars, etc) knew what he was doing? You are all presenting this as if it was common knowledge, even among the general public. i call bullshit on that. Until now, no one fucking accused the guy of anything publicly or officially, so why would anyone have any reason to believe he did anything? it would have all been rumours and nothing more. 

Sure, yeah, NOW everyone knows he's a predator, especially with that audio tape (although I haven't listened to it), but hindsight is 20/20, folks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

both HC and Obama have made statements denouncing him. is that good enough? or should they give all the money back too?

Why does everyone think all of these people (Hollywood, recipients of political dollars, etc) knew what he was doing? You are all presenting this as if it was common knowledge, even among the general public. i call bullshit on that. Until now, no one fucking accused the guy of anything publicly or officially, so why would anyone have any reason to believe he did anything? it would have all been rumours and nothing more. 

Sure, yeah, NOW everyone knows he's a predator, especially with that audio tape (although I haven't listened to it), but hindsight is 20/20, folks. 

None of us can say for sure who knew and who didn't. I certainly can't. But...I do tend to believe that it was an open secret. That many people either knew, suspected, or went out of their way not to know.

As I said yesterday, Obama allowing his teenage daughter to intern with Weinstein is a pretty clear indicator that he at least did not know.

JimmyV said:

None of us can say for sure who knew and who didn't. I certainly can't. But...I do tend to believe that it was an open secret. That many people either knew, suspected, or went out of their way not to know.

As I said yesterday, Obama allowing his teenage daughter to intern with Weinstein is a pretty clear indicator that he at least did not know.

that's what I mean. nobody can say for sure. But whenever something like this happens, everyone gets all bent out of shape asking why people didn't do something. and I find it outrageous to suggest that someone should possibly endanger their career and be blackballed from their peers for speaking out against someone who did nothing to them but they SUSPECT or HEARD they did something to someone else. that's absurd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Harvey Weinstein joke at the 2013 Academy Awards:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SzNoT3Zcw2A&t=3m24s&feature=youtu.be

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    JimmyV said:

It is frightening to think that a person with the resources of a President could not vest the person his daughter would intern with.  I do not have a daughter, but I can only imagine the horror/anger of learning your daughter was in close contact with a sexual predator on the level of Weinstein.  I’m no Obama cheerleader, but as a parent, I empathize.  I was a social worker for roughly 10 years and can tell you that these type of people are no anomaly, in fact, they are prevalent.  The only real power a parent has is to hopefully raise your child to be assertive enough not to be a victim of this type of behavior.  
    PJPOWER said:
    JimmyV said:

It is frightening to think that a person with the resources of a President could not vest the person his daughter would intern with.  I do not have a daughter, but I can only imagine the horror/anger of learning your daughter was in close contact with a sexual predator on the level of Weinstein.  I’m no Obama cheerleader, but as a parent, I empathize.  I was a social worker for roughly 10 years and can tell you that these type of people are no anomaly, in fact, they are prevalent.  The only real power a parent has is to hopefully raise your child to be assertive enough not to be a victim of this type of behavior.  
    I would go into an uncontrollable rage. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think the conservative uproar is bullshit and being used inappropriately based on their support of the sexual predator in the White House, but that has nothing to do with whether the liberal crowd who associated with Weinstein should denounce him as quickly as possible because how many times has Trump or his Republican cohorts been mocked or called out for not immediately denouncing the KKK, non-foreign related terror attacks and the like. People on this board throw a fit when nothing is said for days by a conservative, but defend non commentary from public figures (i.e. Obama and Hillary) who clearly hobnobbed with the guy. Just say something and be done with it. How many other things are they willing to comment on immediately when the president doesn't? It's mostly political BS.
    tbergs said:

I think the conservative uproar is bullshit and being used inappropriately based on their support of the sexual predator in the White House, but that has nothing to do with whether the liberal crowd who associated with Weinstein should denounce him as quickly as possible because how many times has Trump or his Republican cohorts been mocked or called out for not immediately denouncing the KKK, non-foreign related terror attacks and the like. People on this board throw a fit when nothing is said for days by a conservative, but defend non commentary from public figures (i.e. Obama and Hillary) who clearly hobnobbed with the guy. Just say something and be done with it. How many other things are they willing to comment on immediately when the president doesn't? It's mostly political BS.
    I agree with this.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    tbergs said:

I think it makes perfect sense, in this situation where it's allegations and not video of actions (like white supremacist rallies), to wait a bit to get some information before commenting or releasing a statement. there is so much misinformation out there. Remember how Tom Petty died 3 or 4 times before he actually died? reported by very reputable news sources?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Did all the republicans give back all the money donated by Roger Ailes and O'Reilly? Anyone?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • How about from Ahhhhhnold after he knocked up his house keeper while married?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • And Hastert? Any money get returned from that guy?

Brilliantati©
    Giving back the money won't do a single thing to prevent sexual assault or change the culture in Hollywood.

JimmyV said:
    Giving back the money won't do a single thing to prevent sexual assault or change the culture in Hollywood.
    and really, how many other criminals, sexual or otherwise, have politicians from all sides accepted money from? you don't get to that level and keep your hands clean. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JimmyV said:
    and really, how many other criminals, sexual or otherwise, have politicians from all sides accepted money from? you don't get to that level and keep your hands clean. 
    Agreed.

Did all the republicans give back all the money donated by Roger Ailes and O'Reilly? Anyone?
    Who's asking that they return the money? Is this coming from Hannity or something? It's said and done on all sides. They know that's part of being in the business of politics. You are taking money from the scum along with the wholesome family. Raising republican examples is just a deflection from this situation. I don't think any of us here believe either party has clean hands in this.