America's Gun Violence

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    I'm just glad i had enough personal responsibility not to get killed on the way into work this morning, or in the office, or at the convenience store i went to for lunch.  i hope i still have enough personal responsibility to make it home tonight.
    Where did you learn to drive and why?  How do you get out of your office if there is a fire?  How did you know which burrito to avoid at the convenience store?  Is all of the above knowledge something that makes you safer and prepared?  Maybe, just maybe, if you did your part and furthered that foundation of knowledge, you might very well be prepared if other situations ever presented themselves.  I sure as hell hope that if I am ever choking in a restaurant, at least one other person has taken a first aid class and knows what to do...Sorry if I believe every responsible person should.
    you do realize that cars in general are about 1000x safer today than in the past because of you know laws and regulations that were passed.  as opposed to gun laws which because of the NRA and people like you we can't change.  so umm yea....
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    pjhawks said:
    I'm just glad i had enough personal responsibility not to get killed on the way into work this morning, or in the office, or at the convenience store i went to for lunch.  i hope i still have enough personal responsibility to make it home tonight.
    Never let your guard down. Keep a keen eye on the rooftops and the windows of any tall building, you never know when someone might rain down bullets on you with an assault rifle.
  • dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    Never let your guard down. Keep a keen eye on the rooftops and the windows of any tall building, you never know when someone might rain down bullets on you with an assault rifle.
    Kid riding the subway from comicon out here in NYC got his face slashed for no reason.

Always be alert for ANYTHING.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    Guess I shouldn't have a couple of beers before or at the next PJ show I go to.....just in case someone might shoot up the place. Must always be vigilant and have my guard up.

Preparing for that scenario makes much more sense than passing common sense gun legislation.
    Well, maybe you shouldn’t have so many that you are oblivious to your surroundings.  We’ve all seen “that guy” passed out with his pants around his ankle and all of their pockets picked.  Maybe do not be passed out drunk around a bunch of people you do not know.  Darwin would probably have had things to say about “that guy”.
    Ha ha. Calling HFD a gun-nutter was probably the funniest thing I read today.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    dignin said:
    pjhawks said:
    You know what, don’t.  Don’t educate your self or learn how to educate others. Instead, it’s probably better to bitch and moan on the Pearl Jam forums about laws or untenable “solutions”.  Better skip knowing how to get out of a building in the event of a fire too, all useless knowledge that probably won’t ever be needed, right?  To hell with educating your children on what to do if they find a firearm at a friend’s house because that most likely would never happen, right?  You guys are so adamantly apposed to education that, frankly, i’m surprised Darwin hasn’t already paid you a visit.
    pjhawks said:
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    edited October 2017

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Where did you learn to drive and why?  How do you get out of your office if there is a fire?  How did you know which burrito to avoid at the convenience store?  Is all of the above knowledge something that makes you safer and prepared?  Maybe, just maybe, if you did your part and furthered that foundation of knowledge, you might very well be prepared if other situations ever presented themselves.  I sure as hell hope that if I am ever choking in a restaurant, at least one other person has taken a first aid class and knows what to do...Sorry if I believe every responsible person should.
    you do realize that cars in general are about 1000x safer today than in the past because of you know laws and regulations that were passed.  as opposed to gun laws which because of the NRA and people like you we can't change.  so umm yea....
    People like me that encouraged people to be responsible and aware?  Well that’s a new one.  It’s because of people like you and Diane Feinstein that make gun owners say “don’t give an inch”.  What tenable realistic gun control do you suggest?  Read this before answering:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.eaec3734deb9
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited October 2017
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Laws on driving haven't changed much (other than cell phone use I guess). Safety features on cars have.
    But I'd give the credit to the advancing safety features and not any laws.
    So much paranoia, but I am starting to understand the fear that is behind Americas gun violence problem. Very educational.

PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    People like me that encouraged people to be responsible and aware?  Well that’s a new one.  It’s because of people like you and Diane Feinstein that make gun owners say “don’t give an inch”.  What tenable realistic gun control do you suggest?  Read this before answering:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-used-to-think-gun-control-was-the-answer-my-research-told-me-otherwise/2017/10/03/d33edca6-a851-11e7-92d1-58c702d2d975_story.html?utm_term=.eaec3734deb9
    You keep talking about realistic gun control but I haven't heard you give any suggestions yourself. Do you have any? Cause as far as I can tell you are perfectly fine with the status quo. 
    edited October 2017
    dignin said:
    So much paranoia, but I am starting to understand the fear that is behind Americas gun violence problem. Very educational.

Aware=Paranoid...thanks for the lesson professor.  Paranoid is being afraid of going to a concert because you think you will get shot.  Aware is going to a concert and having the essentials basic knowledge to help you not panic if something does happen.  In CCW class, I was taught to “live in the yellow”.  Do not be in the red where you are paranoid everywhere you go that something is going to happen.  Do not be in the green where you are unaware of any risks and think nothing could possibly ever happen to you.  
  • mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Laws on driving haven't changed much (other than cell phone use I guess). Safety features on cars have.
    Gotta link? And there you go again......................Driving laws haven't changed much. Umm, sure. The traffic light came before the automobile, dontcha know? Driver's ed? Started with Henry Ford. Stop signs? Invented in 1776. Blinking yellow lights at those unused intersections? Brought over on the Mayflower.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited October 2017
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    You keep talking about realistic gun control but I haven't heard you give any suggestions yourself. Do you have any? Cause as far as I can tell you are perfectly fine with the status quo. 
    Realistic, tenable gun control that would have guaranteed the event in Vegas would not have happened?  I’ll admit it, I do not know of any. That is why I am suggesting alternative solutions other than gun control?  Where have you been???  And you obviously did not read the article in my post that you quoted.  I am more focused on how to decrease violence and loss of life as a whole.
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Aware=Paranoid...thanks for the lesson professor 
    Your awareness wouldn't have helped you in the middle of the dance floor in Orlando when fired on from an assault weapon....or in the middle of a theater in Colorado.....or at an outdoor concert in Las Vegas. 
    Post edited by dignin on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Aware=Paranoid...thanks for the lesson professor.  Paranoid is being afraid of going to a concert because you think you will get shot.  Aware is going to a concert and having the essentials basic knowledge to help you not panic if something does happen.  In CCW class, I was taught to “live in the yellow”.  Do not be in the red where you are paranoid everywhere you go that something is going to happen.  Do not be in the green where you are unaware of any risks and think nothing could possibly ever happen to you.  

Why do we need to treat the two concepts as mutually exclusive? Why not implement real reforms that will actually address causes of violent crime while also passing laws intended solely to stick it to the gun nuts?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited October 2017
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

You're awareness wouldn't have helped you in the middle of the dance floor in Orlando when fired on from an assault weapon....or in the middle of a theater in Colorado.....or at an outdoor concert in Las Vegas. 
    It most definitely coukd have and there are several examples of people saving lives by being aware of their surroundings/exits and knowing how to stop bleeding, etc.  Those people that were aware and trained saved countless lives.  Imagine if more were.
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Realistic, tenable gun control that would have guaranteed the event in Vegas would not have happened?  I’ll admit it, I do not know of any. That is why I am suggesting alternative solutions other than gun control?  Where have you been???  And you obviously did not read the article in my post that you quoted.  I am more focused on how to decrease violence and loss of life as a whole.
    Exactly. I just wanted the update. Some around here seem to think that you are looking for some common ground, you are not. Like democrats could do anything to meet you halfway.

You like the laws already on the books, no more. That is extreme.
  • CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Why do we need to treat the two concepts as mutually exclusive? Why not implement real reforms that will actually address causes of violent crime while also passing laws intended solely to stick it to the gun nuts?

Why frame it that way?
    "My brain's a good brain!"

CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Wow, is that the real intent here?  To “stick it to the gun nuts”?  I thought it was to prevent shootings and save lives, but I would support no legislation specifically designed to “stick it to the gun nuts”...that just seems vindictive and helps me understand why “gun nuts” do not give any ground...I cannot believe you just admitted that as the intent of gun control...
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

You're awareness wouldn't have helped you in the middle of the dance floor in Orlando when fired on from an assault weapon....or in the middle of a theater in Colorado.....or at an outdoor concert in Las Vegas. 
    It most definitely coukd have and there are several examples of people saving lives by being aware of their surroundings/exits and knowing how to stop bleeding, etc.  Those people that were aware and trained saved countless lives.  Imagine if more were.
    Solution to gun violence : train everyone to become a paramedic - problem solved!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Exactly. I just wanted the update. Some around here seem to think that you are looking for some common ground, you are not. Like democrats could do anything to meet you halfway.

There is no common ground on guns except that everyone wants to save lives.  The methods for doing so is what is up for debate.  Create laws requiring safe storage or requiring background checks, I’m all for those.  But it will never be “enough” for those that hate guns...never.
    edited October 2017

CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Why frame it that way?
    Because for many gun control advocates, that is the true intent.  And it is obvious, cm didn’t even have to say it.
    edited October 2017
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Solution to gun violence : train everyone to become a paramedic - problem solved!
    I know you are trying to be clever, but educating the mass on the value of preserving human life is not at all a bad call.  The method is dumb, but the philosophy is solid.    
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

or run and leave everyone else behind. personal responsibility 
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

I know you are trying to be clever, but educating the mass on the value of preserving human life is not at all a bad call.  The method is dumb, but the philosophy is solid.    
    Like some sort of re-education camp:  Where people learn the value of human life by helping their fellow citizens.  While at the same time, learning the grave societal responsibilities that come along with being a gun-owner.  Perhaps the state could organize it, and they could hold regular training meetings.  A well-regulated militia, if you will.
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:

pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:

There is no common ground on guns except that everyone wants to save lives.  The methods for doing so is what is up for debate.  Create laws requiring safe storage or requiring background checks, I’m all for those.  But it will never be “enough” for those that hate guns...never.
    I was going to say that there is common ground like the majority want assault styled weapons to be banned and you don't fall into that majority because you are too extreme...but it turns out I was wrong and I'm in the minority and I guess that makes me more extreme.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/196658/support-assault-weapons-ban-record-low.aspx

This surprised me.

edited October 2017
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    Gotta link? And there you go again......................Driving laws haven't changed much. Umm, sure. The traffic light came before the automobile, dontcha know? Driver's ed? Started with Henry Ford. Stop signs? Invented in 1776. Blinking yellow lights at those unused intersections? Brought over on the Mayflower.
    My bad, I was assuming you were using rational logic in your argument. 
    In recent years, there have been far more advances in safety technology that driving laws.

But if you want to go back 200 years, then yes, there have been a lot of changes in driving laws. Changes that do not impact your argument in the least bit. Lets see, the fist traffic light was 1868 (wikipedia) and the first deadly car accident didn't happen until 1869 (going on the earliest definition of a car, some sources have it much later). Even then deadly car accidents were extremely rare, since most cars had a top speed of 20 mph or less and were still very rare to begin with.
    In the times you were referring to there were more horses on the road than cars, you could count the car accidents that lead to fatalities on 1 hand.
    First, I'll jsut use common sense to debunk your statement. It isnt rational to compare the introduction of street light, stop signs, turn signals, etc because those all happened before the modern car era

Now I'll use facts and stats to debunk it. Car deaths increased nearly every year, despite the introduction of everything you mentioned, until about 1980. So what happened in 1980?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year
    DId they re-introduce a new stop light, or were there more advances in technology like an airbag, ABS, anti-skid and everything else that is on a current car that wasn't common 30 years ago.
    The only notable exception is 1974 with a 17% drop. That was also the year the speed limit dropped to 55 mph. There is one big example of laws helping, but there were many of decreases in the last 2 decades that would outweigh that one year.
    So comparing safe driving from 200 years ago to today and claiming it is the laws and not the technology doesn't make any sense. It would be like coming to the conclusion that we should get ride of all traffic lights, because prior to traffic light there were no deadly accidents in the US. 
    I would equate it to claiming that the lack of pirates are the blame for global warming.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Why frame it that way?
    Because for many gun control advocates, that is the true intent.  And it is obvious, cm didn’t even have to say it.

And some people were patting themselves on the back just yesterday for their superior skills at sarcasm.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited October 2017
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:

Like some sort of re-education camp:  Where people learn the value of human life by helping their fellow citizens.  While at the same time, learning the grave societal responsibilities that come along with being a gun-owner.  Perhaps the state could organize it, and they could hold regular training meetings.  A well-regulated militia, if you will.
    Would only work if it were mandatory for everyone in the country.  Not only the gun owners being violent...That way there would be no question that all people are part of this well regulated militia too.  Everyone wins!  Better yet, maybe those positive values and skills could be included in the mandatory education requirements that are already paid for!
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJPOWER said:
    pjhawks said:
    My bad, I was assuming you were using rational logic in your argument. 
    In recent years, there have been far more advances in safety technology that driving laws.

But if you want to go back 200 years, then yes, there have been a lot of changes in driving laws. Changes that do not impact your argument in the least bit. Lets see, the fist traffic light was 1868 (wikipedia) and the first deadly car accident didn't happen until 1869 (going on the earliest definition of a car, some sources have it much later). Even then deadly car accidents were extremely rare, since most cars had a top speed of 20 mph or less and were still very rare to begin with.
    In the times you were referring to there were more horses on the road than cars, you could count the car accidents that lead to fatalities on 1 hand.
    First, I'll jsut use common sense to debunk your statement. It isnt rational to compare the introduction of street light, stop signs, turn signals, etc because those all happened before the modern car era

Now I'll use facts and stats to debunk it. Car deaths increased nearly every year, despite the introduction of everything you mentioned, until about 1980. So what happened in 1980?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year
    DId they re-introduce a new stop light, or were there more advances in technology like an airbag, ABS, anti-skid and everything else that is on a current car that wasn't common 30 years ago.
    So comparing safe driving from 200 years ago to today and claiming it is the laws and not the technology doesn't make any sense. It would be like coming to the conclusion that we should get ride of all traffic lights, because prior to traffic light there were no deadly accidents in the US. 
    I would equate it to claiming that the lack of pirates are the blame for global warming.

Guess you haven't heard of mandatory seat belt laws? Or child seat restraints? Or graduated licensing for new drivers at age 16? Lower BAC thresholds? Increased drinking ages (Reagan, gasp!)? Speed limits? Nah, driving laws haven't changed much, except for cell phones, I guess. Nothing new since 1980 except technological advances, most imposed or required by law or the federal government because you know, car manufacturers love making enhancements that make their product more expensive. Try again with another misguided theory to defend the indefensible and when that fails, cry anti-gunners want to ban all guns.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.