Options

America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    There have been some incongruent and silly parallels presented which have managed to draw the ire of gun opponents. But to be fair... there have been some comments from gun opponents which have been inflammatory as well. 

In my mind, asking for people to concede hunting rights and sometimes shaming them for shooting their protein versus buying it in a store where someone else has killed it for them is not cool. I've stated it before, but I respect responsible hunting even though I don't do it myself.

A hunter that kills his animal and utilizes most if not all the entire carcass is to be respected far more than the slob who... oh... say... orders 20 hot wings at the local pub- where the bones are so soft from being raised in cages you don't even know if you bit one or not (not to mention comes home to his deep freeze where boxes of frozen, factory farmed meat from Costco are ready to be consumed). 

There's a middle way, people. This issue can't be 'all or nothing'. 
    To be fair, equating guns to knives is what really sidetracked this thread. I have no problem with someone who hunts their own food, but denying that a gun is made to kill is as ludicrous as claiming you should be able to own as many as you want because it's your right. There is no middle ground there, just as there is none for those who say guns are only made to kill people. Both views are way off.
    And this is fair.
    Del, You are the fairest of them all!

Okay... before I say anything at all... does my sarcasm meter need to be turned up here?
    No not at all.  Although I am still disappointed in you for not picking up my sarcasm before. 

I have moments when I really suck.

Cheers, buddy!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Here's  the best solution to the 2nd amendment  and gun control debate.......

Someone tell Herr drumpf, his advisers,  and supporters that President Obama was responsible for the 2nd amendment and was against gun control and national gun registry.

He would move so fast to get rid of the 2nd amendment and institute widespread gun control and national  registry that you would think someone's life depended on it. And his base would totally support him on it.

Lol

It's funny cuz it's true.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Jesus lads, the level of debate went seriously downhill here today. The facetious attempts to compare the threat of knives to that of guns is nothing short of ridiculous. Also, can I just point out that 8 of my brothers and their families live in England and have never mentioned any issue or fear of knife violence 
    Which part of England ? Because i live north london and 14 year olds knife eachother over nothing and its on the news most days . Schools have metal detectors inner london in some places. I have a son of 18 who tells me often of someone he knows been stabbed, people he knows in prison for stabbing and mothers on tv begging the knife culture to end because they lost their child to a needless knife crime. So its very real
    I also understand it doesn't necessarily have much to do with gun law. I was just stating we have fear here but don't arm ourselves to protect our children because its illegal. So if someone stabs my child i can protect them by shooting a kid?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Jesus lads, the level of debate went seriously downhill here today. The facetious attempts to compare the threat of knives to that of guns is nothing short of ridiculous. Also, can I just point out that 8 of my brothers and their families live in England and have never mentioned any issue or fear of knife violence 
    Which part of England ? Because i live north london and 14 year olds knife eachother over nothing and its on the news most days . Schools have metal detectors inner london in some places. I have a son of 18 who tells me often of someone he knows been stabbed, people he knows in prison for stabbing and mothers on tv begging the knife culture to end because they lost their child to a needless knife crime. So its very real
    I also understand it doesn't necessarily have much to do with gun law. I was just stating we have fear here but don't arm ourselves to protect our children because its illegal. So if someone stabs my child i can protect them by shooting a kid?
    Oh I know some people took your point, willfully misunderstood it and ran in a different, nonsensical direction. I get that knife crime may be an issue in certain parts of cities, I think all big cities are known for having their more iffy parts (like north inner city Dublin), my point was that knife crime is not a widespread national concern in England as gun deaths are in America. (5 of my brothers are in London, 1 in Norfolk, 1 in Todmorden near Manchester and 1 somewhere I can't remember)
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    edited October 2017
    I guess london and Manchester will have problems. Definitely not norfolk thats full of 60 year olds.hahah joking but lots of elderly. I guess my point is if we could get guns here then it would be the same . But one nutter with a knife could maybe take out 3 or 4 people before being grappled. But a nutter with a gun can take out many before anyone can do anything. So guns being available definitely make a massacre so much more likely and available .
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I just asked my partner if she thought knife crime here was a  widespread national concern out of interest. She said yes definitely . We live in a town outside north london. Murders from knives have happened in this small town even. If the guns were as accessible as knives are i can't imagine the carnage .  U.s.a must be the only country with these kind of gun laws? I mean i don't know for sure . I don't understand how the pro gun people can argue the case for guns being so readily available seeing how many people misuse them.  Just my view though.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Bringing a gun to a knife fight is totally acceptable in the US.  In some states it is encouraged. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Hahah wow. Sounds like a great place
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah. But kids here are carrying knives at ridiculously young ages truly worried about my teenage kids going anywhere its so common now.
    You guys should probably consider banning knives now...for the greater good.
    Funny. Real funny. When they make a fully auto knife shooter then maybe it would make sense.
    So only full auto knife shooters should be illegal?  What about those scary looking machetes?  Why do people outside of the jungle need them?  What about a bowie knife?  If you aren't in beer country why do you need one?
    There's a beer country? I want to go!
  • Options
    Yes Germany
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    rgambs said:
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.
    It's all a big joke to you, hehe haha hoho, I shoot my bang bang hehe.

Grow up and get a fucking life.
    Positive post right here.  Constructive criticism too, well done.

The man does have a point though.
    no, he doesn't. it ludicrous to compare knives to automatic weapons. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING BANNING HANDGUNS/SINGLE SHOT RIFLES. if you want to compare, that is the only, still semi-illogical, argument that can be made. and no one is suggesting it. 

if there is ever a knife that can kill 58 people and injure 500 more in 10 minutes from 32 floors up and hundreds of meters away in the dark, then you have an argument. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    If democrats really want their gun control arguments to be taken seriously and garnish something even close to bipartisan support, they are going to have to replace quacks like Feinstein.  That would be the most positive step towards gun control legislation that a democrat could take at this point.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You guys are fucking idiots if you think making light of this issue is ok when there are still bodies waiting to be buried.

no, he doesn't. it ludicrous to compare knives to automatic weapons. NO ONE IS SUGGESTING BANNING HANDGUNS/SINGLE SHOT RIFLES. if you want to compare, that is the only, still semi-illogical, argument that can be made. and no one is suggesting it. 

if there is ever a knife that can kill 58 people and injure 500 more in 10 minutes from 32 floors up and hundreds of meters away in the dark, then you have an argument. 
    So the people suggesting that the US should adopt policies mirroring Australia’s and Europe’s are not suggesting banning handguns and single shot rifles...got it...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    If democrats really want their gun control arguments to be taken seriously and garnish something even close to bipartisan support, they are going to have to replace quacks like Feinstein.  That would be the most positive step towards gun control legislation that a democrat could take at this point.  
    Exactly what I've said several times. She only feeds the "going to take my guns" fear. It isn't unreasonable to see why people fear losing their guns with people like her in charge. End result is they push back on everything because of the "give an inch take a mile" syndrome and nothing gets passed.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    I want to hear more about knives. Please tell me more about knives.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...
    Target practice is important, especially for a hunter.  No need to make a wild animal suffer because you were irresponsible and did not zero your scope in accurately...
    That assumes you can justify killing wild animals.  But we've already been over all that.  I stand by my words.  Guns are made for killing.
    Even this gun?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flare_gun

Ya got me there! 

I'm reading Frozen in Time by Mitchell Zuckoff, a book about downed WWII planes in Greenland.  Great read!    Flare guns were useful in helping save some of the crews of the planes that went down.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16248142-frozen-in-time

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I think if the knife thing is going to keep coming up here there should be a separate thread like "Knife Violence in America" or "Knife Violence in England" or "Bread is yummy no matter how you slice it".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I want to hear more about knives. Please tell me more about knives.
    Save a life, ban a knife, lol
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Exactly.  And some gun owners will say they don't use guns to kill (even though that is the purpose) like to target practice.  I can thank some of my neighbors who do that for driving my anxiety bat shit crazy up the wall on a bad day.  Not cool.  Besides why do they really target practice for?  Do they never think about how that might make them better at killing?  Hmmmm...
    Target practice is important, especially for a hunter.  No need to make a wild animal suffer because you were irresponsible and did not zero your scope in accurately...
    That assumes you can justify killing wild animals.  But we've already been over all that.  I stand by my words.  Guns are made for killing.
    Even this gun?

Ya got me there! 

I'm reading Frozen in Time by Mitchell Zuckoff, a book about downed WWII planes in Greenland.  Great read!    Flare guns were useful in helping save some of the crews of the planes that went down.

A lot of guns, and even ammo, are specifically designed for paper or other target shooting. 
    Yes, you could easily kill with them, and the origin of guns is for killing. But not every gun was designed with that purpose in mind.
    I don't think that changes anything or enhances the pro-gun argument. I just disagree with the sentiment that all guns are designed/made to kill
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I think if the knife thing is going to keep coming up here there should be a separate thread like "Knife Violence in America" or "Knife Violence in England" or "Bread is yummy no matter how you slice it".
    I agree, and it should probably be England since America does not have a knife problem that I am aware of.
  • Options

brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Even this gun?

Ya got me there! 

I’ll have to check it out, always interested in WW2 history.
  • Options

mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Exactly what I've said several times. She only feeds the "going to take my guns" fear. It isn't unreasonable to see why people fear losing their guns with people like her in charge. End result is they push back on everything because of the "give an inch take a mile" syndrome and nothing gets passed.
    Funny that she doesn’t even deny the “give an inch take a mile syndrome” based on her “slippery slope” comments.  People like her holding office is almost as flabbergasting as Trump holding one.
  • Options
    Yeah. You get people like her in office who run on total gun control and make it well know they would like to eliminate guns if they could. Then throw their hands up and say they don't know why congress wont work with them on passing gun control. It isn't hard to figure out why people fear any gun legislature. .
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    mace1229 said:
    Yeah. You get people like her in office who run on total gun control and make it well know they would like to eliminate guns if they could. Then throw their hands up and say they don't know why congress wont work with them on passing gun control. It isn't hard to figure out why people fear any gun legislature. .
    If you have two politicians in the same room unwilling to compromise, is it the fault of both or just one?
  • Options
    Ok i will exit at this point. I hear ya
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    I agree, and it should probably be England since America does not have a knife problem that I am aware of.
    Don't be so sure:

Paul Westerberg talks about guitarist/singer Grandpaboy:

Of Grandpaboy, Westerberg himself says, "I heard him play in an empty room once ... it was like a knife fight in a phone booth. The man scares me."

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    If you have two politicians in the same room unwilling to compromise, is it the fault of both or just one?
    Both. I've said both are to blame before. But when Vegas happened last week, how many people said if you voted Trump/Republican then the blood of the 58 dead are on your hands?
    Quite a few, here, hollywood celebs, late night hosts, all say it. The anti-gun are just as much to blame for gun laws for those reasons
    But the blood of those dead are not on anyone's hands but the shooter. Those comments are just cheap shots to incite rage.
  • Options
    It doesn't have a knife problem because it has a GUN problem. Thats it from me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

So the people suggesting that the US should adopt policies mirroring Australia’s and Europe’s are not suggesting banning handguns and single shot rifles...got it...
    pretty sure those people are only using those examples to highlight that gun control can work. they know that the outright banning of ALL guns is simply not possible in the US. you can't, anyway, without an amendment to the constitution. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2017
    PJPOWER said:
    rgambs said:

pretty sure those people are only using those examples to highlight that gun control can work. they know that the outright banning of ALL guns is simply not possible in the US. you can't, anyway, without an amendment to the constitution. 
    I agree with you, it’s pointless to suggest banning ALL guns.  That being said, there are plenty around that are drooling over an amendment to the constitution and would throw their vote at anyone pushing a complete ban.  To suggest that “no one wants to ban all guns” is vastly ignoring a significant number of voters that would love that.  Just go to a Coalition to Stop Gun Violence Facebook page and read some of the comments by the gun control lovers.  They are not an anomaly, those quacks are easy to find.  Several here even.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
This discussion has been closed.