Options

Creator of Facebook "Like" button warns of smartphone dystopia.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    Breaking news lol. But yeah people don't actually want to think alone or explore the deep layers of the mind nowadays. That'd be some crazy shit. Much better and easier to have someone or something else define reality and think for you. There's no risk in that. Put a screen in front of my face and lets call it a day. Wouldn't want people getting too far outta line.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Breaking news lol. But yeah people don't actually want to think alone or explore the deep layers of the mind nowadays. That'd be some crazy shit. Much better and easier to have someone or something else define reality and think for you. There's no risk in that. Put a screen in front of my face and lets call it a day. Wouldn't want people getting too far outta line.
    Exactly!

Auto-pilot Nation
    Haha!

Let's double it-- :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    Humanity is devolving.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not sure what other outcome is expected when much of the news is "such and such went viral"...or got this many likes, or was re-tweeted a shitload of times.

Reinforce - ie, inflate - the ego and increase the bubble.

I can't wait to see how self-driving cars play into this.

Might need to blast Think for Yourself on the way to work later.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I'm not sure what other outcome is expected when much of the news is "such and such went viral"...or got this many likes, or was re-tweeted a shitload of times.

I'm down with the self driving car thing.  My insurance rates would HAVE to go down.  
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Exactly!
    https://youtu.be/eH6mKLqe4Yc

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

Exactly!
    https://youtu.be/eH6mKLqe4Yc

Ha!  I was thinking of the Beatles initially, and then that pried-open eye.

Probably one of the most powerful songs I've ever been blessed to witness.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,236
    It's an important point, raised before by "South Park" (Facebook episode, internet outage  episode), Andrew Sullivan, and others.

I quit Facebook last November. I was tired of the echo chamber nature of  things, pressure to agree with everyone, and a disappointing lack of critical thinking on the part of many very well-educated people in my feed.

My baseline stress level dropped as a result of this decision; my quality of life improved and so did my self-confidence.
    Now, reading news has filled that void to a large extent, and most of the stress has returned, too. I feel conflicted: I am tired of being perpetually stressed and angry about things, but I feel guilty about tuning out the chaos and going about my day. So I need to re-set my behaviors and establish limits for how much time I spend following news stories, no matter how many push notifications I get from WaPo and the Guardian. I've also found that traveling to an area with poor cell signal or no wifi forces me to detox, and again I see my stress levels dropping. On the other hand, while I often leave my phone behind when I go to the beach because there's little signal and it's a PITA to carry it with me while I'm running, on the few occasions when I have encountered trouble I have really wished that I had my phone with me. So there is a trade-off.

I try to remind myself that smartphones and the internet are very useful tools, but it's important to make sure that I am using those tools to improve or enhance my life, and that I am not the tool being used by the technology.  
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    It's an important point, raised before by "South Park" (Facebook episode, internet outage  episode), Andrew Sullivan, and others.

I quit Facebook last November. I was tired of the echo chamber nature of  things, pressure to agree with everyone, and a disappointing lack of critical thinking on the part of many very well-educated people in my feed.

My baseline stress level dropped as a result of this decision; my quality of life improved and so did my self-confidence.
    Now, reading news has filled that void to a large extent, and most of the stress has returned, too. I feel conflicted: I am tired of being perpetually stressed and angry about things, but I feel guilty about tuning out the chaos and going about my day. So I need to re-set my behaviors and establish limits for how much time I spend following news stories, no matter how many push notifications I get from WaPo and the Guardian. I've also found that traveling to an area with poor cell signal or no wifi forces me to detox, and again I see my stress levels dropping. On the other hand, while I often leave my phone behind when I go to the beach because there's little signal and it's a PITA to carry it with me while I'm running, on the few occasions when I have encountered trouble I have really wished that I had my phone with me. So there is a trade-off.

I try to remind myself that smartphones and the internet are very useful tools, but it's important to make sure that I am using those tools to improve or enhance my life, and that I am not the tool being used by the technology.  
    Yeah, FB definitely is best kept low or off the radar.  I check in to see what folks are up to but not much else any more.

And I hear you about trying to find that right balance of being aware of/concerned about/ wanting-trying to do something to help and at the same time trying not to be consumed by the chaos and confusion.  I tried to turn the world off today by going out to catch some fall colors but the hell-hounds kept nipping at the edge of my thoughts anyway.  It's hard.