Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Thanks, will def check it out.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Won’t be involved- the guy is a grade a douchebag.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I'll listen to it. 

I don't really think he's a douchebag, but he's one of those people with no filter.  Usually when you interview athletes or famous people they have very polished carefully constructed responses that don't really say much about anything.  Corgan speaks his mind, his opinions and never filters anything.   It makes him come off as an a-hole sometimes, but I respect that he doesn't guard himself like most other famous people...

Besides if I found the person behind the music annoying I'd never listen to U2 :)  I can also separate my like of the music from the person singing it :)
  • Zod said:
    I'll listen to it. 

I don't really think he's a douchebag, but he's one of those people with no filter.  Usually when you interview athletes or famous people they have very polished carefully constructed responses that don't really say much about anything.  Corgan speaks his mind, his opinions and never filters anything.   It makes him come off as an a-hole sometimes, but I respect that he doesn't guard himself like most other famous people...

Besides if I found the person behind the music annoying I'd never listen to U2 :)  I can also separate my like of the music from the person singing it :)
    He certainly has said some dumb shit.......but who hasn't?   The album is solid.
  • I loved Smashing Pumpkins. Corgan is an a-hole but this solo effort is pretty solid
  • I loved Smashing Pumpkins. Corgan is an a-hole but this solo effort is pretty solid
    Agreed.  Looking forward to his film Pillbox.  He seems to be in a good place at the moment.
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    Looking forward to hearing this release
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    Zod said:
    I'll listen to it. 

I can respect people who speak what's on their mind, but if what is on your mind is douchebaggery, well, you're a douchebag. :o
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Monuments was an outstanding album in my opinion, I've listened to it a lot recently, best since Mellon Collie. Looking forward to his new solo record. I've had it on preorder on pink vinyl for ages.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I just think Billy sounds like shit now and has for years. I love the early SP albums up to and including Mellon Collie.... but I find any of his new stuff basically equivalent to nails on a chalk board. It's weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    His vocal delivery has also been an acquired taste and not something I particularly love but Monuments is definitely worth giving another listen. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that there will be any new releases as good as the first 3.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

FR181798 said:
    His vocal delivery has also been an acquired taste and not something I particularly love but Monuments is definitely worth giving another listen. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that there will be any new releases as good as the first 3.
    Familiarity breeds contempt sometimes.  There will never be another great Pearl Jam record as far my ears are concerned.  Been listening to Eddie and the guys for 22 years now and whatever they put out won't seem as great as the good old days.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    been really turned off to the guy and his music since he started doing appearances on Alex Jones' show.

• been really turned off to the guy and his music since he started doing appearances on Alex Jones' show.

Haha, yeah. What the fuck is that all about. Corgan is a loon.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    He’s #1 on my list of 90s musicians who would be 10000x cooler if he left the spotlight after the breakup.  My connection to everything gish-machinaII is just about gone. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Love everything this guy has done musically - I don't get too concerned with it all outside of that. Guy was horribly abused as a child. He's a living miracle if you ask me, but didn't come away from that abuse unscathed. The behavior you see (sorry, putting my clinicians hat on here) is quite typical for someone with a traumatic past. Anyway, cut him some slack, or don't, but there's founded reasons that explain his behavior.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    He’s #1 on my list of 90s musicians who would be 10000x cooler if he left the spotlight after the breakup.  My connection to everything gish-machinaII is just about gone. 
    Yah, he probably would of been.   I felt the Pumpkins were waning even before they broke up.    I loved Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie, and The Aeroplane Flies High.  I thought Adore was ok.... but after that I kind of faded away.   I still love the first bunch of albums, but I think continuing after Adore, kind of watered down the pumpkins brand.

Given the lack of 90s bands left.   The prospect of an original pumpkins lineup reunion has me pretty stoked.   I'd love to see that.   It's been 20 years since i've seen them, and even then it was the short stint with another drummer (after Jimmy got kicked out of the band for a while)   The upside being I think the drummer was Matt Chamberlain... lol....
  • Tickets for tonight's showing of his film "Pillbox" which accompanies this solo album in hand.  Corgan will be in the house.  Can't wait.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Love everything this guy has done musically - I don't get too concerned with it all outside of that. Guy was horribly abused as a child. He's a living miracle if you ask me, but didn't come away from that abuse unscathed. The behavior you see (sorry, putting my clinicians hat on here) is quite typical for someone with a traumatic past. Anyway, cut him some slack, or don't, but there's founded reasons that explain his behavior.
    interesting. I didn't know that. 

sometimes it's hard for me to enjoy his music because he comes off as such a dick, but he is still incredibly talented. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

whatchya'll think of his first solo album?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think sometimes that Billy just sits around sometimes on the computer, looking up weird words to put into song titles. 

Half Life of an Autodidact. 

what in the sweet fuck is an autodidact?

Amarinthe? Antitam? Zowie? come on, Billy. stop flipping through your thesaurus on the shitter. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

autodidact is someone who is self-taught. like anyone would know that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    I think sometimes that Billy just sits around sometimes on the computer, looking up weird words to put into song titles. 

Half Life of an Autodidact. 

what in the sweet fuck is an autodidact?

Amarinthe? Antitam? Zowie? come on, Billy. stop flipping through your thesaurus on the shitter. 

funny!
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Check out billy covering the Deads Box of Rain...very good.

https://www.jambase.com/article/billy-corgan-covers-box-rain-grateful-dead-brooklyn
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

sometimes it's hard for me to enjoy his music because he comes off as such a dick, but he is still incredibly talented. 
    I don't care how much of a dick he is when I'm hearing his music .... I just think his music pretty much sucks now. He is certainly talented... but i feel like his craziness must have gotten in the way of that talent in more recent years. Either that, or he just ran out of good ideas.
    It is sad that he had a traumatic youth... I'm never really quite sure how to deal with that kind of info when it comes to dickweeds (or worse) though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't care how much of a dick he is when I'm hearing his music .... I just think his music pretty much sucks now. He is certainly talented... but i feel like his craziness must have gotten in the way of that talent in more recent years. Either that, or he just ran out of good ideas.
    It is sad that he had a traumatic youth... I'm never really quite sure how to deal with that kind of info when it comes to dickweeds (or worse) though.
    his music is hit and miss for me these days. some of his solo acoustic stuff I love. some of his SP stuff I love. his first solo album I hated. this one I'm not sure about yet. 

I don't know why, but Matt Good is the same for me. I have a hard time enjoying his music because he's such an ass. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    4 great albums is license to be an ass.. besides most of it is tongue and cheek..how do you rate his contemporaries new music these days?? Thats right you cant since they are dead or not making music anymore..

Pearl jam?? - hardly any new music..average at best.
    Furthermore he takes chances with the music he releases..has pearl jam ever gone adrift and tried something new?? I dont think so. 
    Wma31394 said:
    4 great albums is license to be an ass.. besides most of it is tongue and cheek..how do you rate his contemporaries new music these days?? Thats right you cant since they are dead or not making music anymore..

Pearl jam?? - hardly any new music..average at best.
    um, no, it's not. most of it is not tongue in cheek. he's actually been apologetic lately about being such a dick. 

WPC has a history of releasing every single thing he writes, at least eventually. he throws all the shit at the wall and sees what sticks. that's part of the reason people can't get into his music; there's too much water to wade through. 

that comment about his contemporaries was gross. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Wma31394 said:
    Furthermore he takes chances with the music he releases..has pearl jam ever gone adrift and tried something new?? I dont think so. 
    well, pj's leader wrote and released a fucking ukulele album. I think that qualifies. either way, not sure why what pj does is relevant to this discussion. 

most of WPC's SP stuff sounds mostly the same as it always has. Adore was an anomaly, but everything else.....kinda just a rehash of things he's done in the past. And I have it ALL. LOL. I keep giving the guy a shot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD