Devastating Band Break-ups/Hiatuses

tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
I was just spinning System of a Down Mesmerize and it made me really miss that these guys quit making music after the great run they were on. Which then reminded me of Serj Tankian singing Like a Stone with the Prophets of Rage and then how I missed that Rage Against the Machine wasn't together and then that Audioslave dissolved so early and then of course the Soundgarden break-up, re-uniting and now subsequent hiatus. So in short, it sucks when some of your favorite groups break-up or go on hiatus.

These are just the ones I thought of in my mini nostalgia day dream. What bands does everyone else miss who either broke up or went on indefinite hiatus?
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    The first ones that spring to mind that I really miss would be:

Screaming Trees
    REM
    Black Crowes

I was also really gutted when Afghan Whigs, Sebadoh and Faith No More called it a day, but thankfully they all got back together eventually.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    R.E.M. and The Gaslight Anthem are the two hardest for me. Seeing Whiskeytown play again would be cool, but I wasn't into them when they were together. 
  • You nailed it.  RATM and SOAD both bothered me.

Fugazi, Misfits, Bedouin Soundclash, The Refused, At The Drive In, all had an impact on me.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    This indefinite hiatus by The Gaslight Anthem is killing me.  Still holding out hope that they'll reunite at some point...
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Pearl Jam's hiatuses are getting longer and more and more frequent.
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    This indefinite hiatus by The Gaslight Anthem is killing me.  Still holding out hope that they'll reunite at some point...
    The longer this goes the less I think it will happen. The bass player opened a Jimmy Johns over from me and it closed already. So maybe that speeds things up.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Sunny Day Real Estate....All three times,  or is it four?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I was kind of saw when R.E.M. broke up but not totally bummed because Bill Berry had already left (due to a ruptured brain aneurysm) and because they had been around a long time and calling it quits made some sense.

And I was kind of bummed when the Replacements broke up but by then Bob Stinson was given the boot and later died while the band was still going, Chris Mars had left the band to take up his marvelous painting artistry, Paul Westerberg had basically become a solo artist and Tommy Stinson was moving more toward his Bash and Pop and then Guns N' Roses era.  Again, saddened, but not surprised.

But Mission of Burma- when they broke up because of guitarist Roger Miller's tinnitus after only 4 years and only an EP and one album , I was bummed!  But then in 2002 they reformed.  That was inspiring (I could relate, having had to ditch my career after an accident that affected my hearing) and thrilled to hear them making great music again after a nearly 20 year hiatus.  And they're still doing it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    White Stripes was a shocker to me. Had tickets to one of their last scheduled shows in Chicago. Thought it was just a cancelled show, but they dropped a press release months later. 
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Pearl Jam's hiatuses are getting longer and more and more frequent.
    Yeah, but they thankfully are still a band, not dismemberd.  I think that they are more into family time now.  I appreciate them for not touring on the heels of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction, I think that was rather classy.  With all the carnage going on at random concerts,,,I say to them Take your time, keep it real, put another album out when you're ready, and give us a good tour.
    I'm not crazy about one or two huge shows a year.  Cuz then everybody from around the globe wants to go to that 1 or 2 shows and it makes it even harder to get a seat.  You know I would say to them come back when you're damn good and ready and energized because the last tour in 2016 they still had the Lightning Bolt backdrop.  Ya know come back when you got some fresh stuff.
    edited October 2017
    As far as Band Breakups, for me it was two bands that what I would describe as AAA minor league bands. Really good just waiting for a  breakout.  The fans and the bands both  expecting a breakout moment and anytime into the mainstream, but they fell short for one reason or another and dismembered.
    These two bands are Hello Dave from Chicago, and The Why Store from Indianapolis.  Just two outstanding bands extremely talented full of energy and, The Why Store had a song called Lack Of Water that was actually on the Billboard charts for a while.  It was mid 90s and they were trying for a major record deal, the record Executives there told the lead singer Chris Shaffer that Trends are changing cut your hair short and playing songs like we have here for you. Chris Shaffer not wanting to sell out said no thanks. They hired Blink-182 instead so he was at close.  The Why Store was featured on Conan O'Brien.
    https://youtu.be/HE8QFMFeIxs
      The band by a large fell apart after they refused to sellout.

Hello Dave outstanding band. They criss crossed the United States, from San Francisco to Key West, and everywhere in between playing 200 shows a year from the mid-90s to the mid 2000s. They had fans that would drive hundreds of miles to see them.  They went overseas and played for the United States servicemen and women in Iraq Saudi Arabia Japan Alaska.  They performed the national anthem at the Chicago Cubs games a time or two.  Instead of my ramblings, you can read here about the front man Mike Himebaugh.
    He's got a higher octiv range than most musicians I listen to. I say he sings like a bird. But all of his music is Happy and mostly optimistic & fun.  He is always smiling that's something that cannot be taught.  Mike Himebaugh the frontman and lead singer for Hello Dave has iTunes EPs he is doing solo stuff now.
    He writes about things that he enjoys. He enjoys Michigan so he writes a song about Michigan.https://youtu.be/QPXwPYubTx8
    And here is Himebaugh idea of a Perfect Day

https://youtu.be/_GcQm2jqQ74
    http://www.himebaughmusic.com/iamhimebaugh.html
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited October 2017
    As far as Band Breakups, for me it was two bands that I would describe as AAA minor league bands. Really good just waiting for a  breakout.  The fans and the bands both  expecting a breakout moment at anytime into the mainstream, but they fell short for one reason or another and dismembered.
    These two bands are Hello Dave from Chicago, and The Why Store from Indianapolis.  Just two outstanding bands extremely talented full of energy and, 
    The Why Store had a healthy fan base call themselves (Whomheads) they had a song called Lack Of Water that was actually on the Billboard charts for a while.  It was mid 90s and they were trying for a major record deal with a major record label, the record Executives there told the lead singer Chris Shaffer that "Trends are changing & cut your hair short and play songs like we have here for you.".  Chris Shaffer not wanting to "sell out" said "no thanks." They hired Blink-182 instead so he was that close.  The Why Store was featured on Conan O'Brien.
    https://youtu.be/HE8QFMFeIxs
      The band by a large fell apart after they refused to sellout.

Hello Dave outstanding band. They criss crossed the United States, from San Francisco to Key West, and everywhere in between playing 200 shows a year from the mid-90s to the mid 2000s. They had fans that would drive hundreds of miles to see them.  They went overseas and played for the United States servicemen and women in Iraq Saudi Arabia Japan Alaska.  They performed the national anthem at the Chicago Cubs games a time or two.  Instead of my ramblings, you can read here about the lead singer Mike Himebaugh.
    He's got a higher range of voice than most music I listen to. I say he sings like a bird. But all of his music is Happy and fun.  He is always smiling that's something that cannot be taught.  He effortlessly puts all in attendance in a good mood.  Just a naturally uplifting  Mike Himebaugh the frontman and lead singer form Hello Dave now has iTunes EP solo stuff that he does.
    He writes about things that he enjoys. He enjoys Michigan so he writes a song about Michigan.https://youtu.be/QPXwPYubTx8
    And here is Himebaugh's idea of a Perfect Day!

https://youtu.be/_GcQm2jqQ74
    http://www.himebaughmusic.com/iamhimebaugh.html
    I didn't mean to post the same thing twice somehow.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm kind of bummed that Bad Plaid (also known as Mismatched Plaids) broke up despite have never recorded and only making one appearance, outdoing The Whites Stripes one-note show with their zero-note show.  (Photo from that appearance shown below.)  Fortunately, despite the dissolution of the band, the couple are still together.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I wish Grand Archives would do another record, the Villains demos sounded so good. They just seemed to stop.
  • joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Gaslight
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • brianlux said:
    I'm kind of bummed that Bad Plaid (also known as Mismatched Plaids) broke up despite have never recorded and only making one appearance, outdoing The Whites Stripes one-note show with their zero-note show.  (Photo from that appearance shown below.)  Fortunately, despite the dissolution of the band, the couple are still together.

Brian isn't that you?!?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Now i get it :lol:   Well done.  Great band. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:

Great shot, Brian. And I love the band name. Sounds pretty punk!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I had really good tix to see RATM and they broke up a few weeks before the concert....was really bummed
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • The only one that really left a hole for me was Frusciante leaving the chili peppers. I still enjoy them, but that was a band at their peak that lost its most important member. I still find myself hoping he comes back someday, as unlikely as that would be. 

The only other one for me would be Audioslave, but Chris so quickly transitioned into the solo and acoustic phase of his career that it didn’t have time to really sting. Also, so much of Audioslave’s material lended itself well to his solo performances. That’s not to mention all the SG and Temple stuff. All in all, we lost Audioslave, but gained the part of Chris’ career that I enjoyed and looked up to the most. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I wouldn’t say Sugar or Powderfinger breaking up was ‘devastating’ exactly, but I do still miss them both a lot. 

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • The Beta Band. I sometimes still think of what could have been and where they might have gone musically. They had just released heroes to zeros and I had seen them at the theater of the living arts in Philadelphia. it was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. Shortly after that show they broke up, citing one of the major reasons was the album didn’t sell enough and it was too expense to tour here (they are from Europe). What a bummer. a band you’re totally into and are innovative and creative and they break up and stop touring because of money. pretty sobering
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Sonic Youth. 

But fucking Thurston couldn’t keep it in his pants. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Jesus. I can't believe I didn't mention them earlier, but Silverchair was a hard one to swallow. Neon Ballroom and Diorama (sooo good) really seemed to lay the groundwork for a lifelong career for the band. Young Modern was still pretty solid. Not as good as the previous two, but the world could use more albums like it in 2017. Daniel's solo album was alright for what it is; a dude trying hard to not be a rockstar with a guitar around his neck. 
    I would love for Daniel and Van Dykes Park (who did string arrangements on Diorama) for some piano pieces with strings like we saw on After All These Years and Asylum from those Diorama sessions. 

I like Diorama. 
  • crowes74crowes74 Posts: 273
    The black crowes & jellyfish stung the most.  
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    d The Why Store from Indianapolis. 
    Haha. Bringing back memories of early nineties frat parties at Purdue....saw them a few times.

Was sad when Stabbing Westward went away, when Trent ditched flood in NIN, when metallica stopped being their selves for 20 years of Bob Cock Rock, Soundgarden was not in good place when they broke up, it was obvious something was going to happen if you saw them live near the end 1st time through
    Alice in Chains for obvious reasons,  Tom Petty leaving the Heartbreakers for an album
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    Pantera, helped me through high school
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Second Coming
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:

they sucked. I was glad when they broke up (the band, not the couple).
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:
    Sonic Youth. 

But fucking Thurston couldn’t keep it in his pants. 
    they sucked, even worse.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14