Harvey Weinstein

Do you think the major media coverage and outrage would be different if he was a Republican donor?

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Isn't he threatening to sue the NY Times for reckless reporting?

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Do you think the major media coverage and outrage would be different if he was a Republican donor?

I don't think so.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I don't see how it would be. The coverage has been widespread and there is a fair share of outrage.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

It is definitely out there in the media.  Probably not reported as much by liberal media as was the Fox News incidents (which unfortunately are now becoming difficult to count using one hand). 

What this does highlight is the hypocrisy of the Hollywood actors/actresses who are now proven to put their money, fame and notoriety above what they proclaim at every awards show and media appearance.  Apparently this was not a well-kept secret but somehow people kept working with him.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    edited October 2017
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

He got fired because the John Q. Public learned he was a giant perv and abuser.   Hollywood A-listers knew it and surely the board new it all along.  Until publicity got bad they supported it.  Sick.   

Hopefully he is the first of many to fall and all of those abusers in Hollywood get exposed.

On the left we have a party supported by a sleazy industry. On the right we have a party that happily voted the sleaziest of men into the highest office in the land. As always there is plenty of hypocrisy on both sides.

I don't know if I am officially a registered Republican but if I ever get time to check I will be switching to Independent.  Both parties suck.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    EXCLUSIVE: Meryl Streep Speaks Out Against Harvey Weinstein
    She said the women who have spoken out against him are “heroes.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meryl-streep-harvey-weinstein_us_59db5d87e4b072637c45420e
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Where was she the last 20 years when it was apparently the worst kept secret in hollywood?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Where was she the last 20 years when it was apparently the worst kept secret in hollywood?
    hmmmm....not sure, maybe SLANDER?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    She continued to work with the guy over the years.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    From the article...

In a statement sent to HuffPost exclusively by Streep’s longtime publicist Leslee Dart, Streep says she did not know that Weinstein― with whom she has collaborated for years on films like “August: Osage County” and “The Iron Lady” and once jokingly referred to as a “God”― was engaging in “inappropriate, coercive acts” and that he had paid financial settlements to at least eight women after they accused him of harassment and assault. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • What is this big influence that Meryl Streep seems to have?  She has zero presence in the political spectrum.
    From the article...

In a statement sent to HuffPost exclusively by Streep’s longtime publicist Leslee Dart, Streep says she did not know that Weinstein― with whom she has collaborated for years on films like “August: Osage County” and “The Iron Lady” and once jokingly referred to as a “God”― was engaging in “inappropriate, coercive acts” and that he had paid financial settlements to at least eight women after they accused him of harassment and assault. 

It is not fair for me to make assumptions about Meryl Streep. 

When you read the stories though of his behavior you wonder how this could have stayed under wraps for so long. I would think people who are high up in Hollywood would know about it but I can only speculate.      

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I don't know if I am officially a registered Republican but if I ever get time to check I will be switching to Independent.  Both parties suck.
    It's really just people in general that suck. It doesn't matter what party or affiliation you have. Even if someone is aligned with a positive or neutral group, people are still going to abuse their role. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    What is this big influence that Meryl Streep seems to have?  She has zero presence in the political spectrum.
    She has the same amount of political presence that your hero the one & only orange fucking moron has ,  i had to borrow it from Tillerson what you think it rolls of the tounge pretty easy no ? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • What is this big influence that Meryl Streep seems to have?  She has zero presence in the political spectrum.
    She has the same amount of political presence that your hero the one & only orange fucking moron has ,  i had to borrow it from Tillerson what you think it rolls of the tounge pretty easy no ? 

Indirectly I don't disagree with this.  However I think Donald Trump has a bigger immediate political presence like nuking NK or this kneeling shit.  Meryl Streep? cmon, next thing you know she will be on Fallon writing thank you letters to Hillary.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    From the article...

This is really hard to believe, seeing as how it was an open secret. I wasn't the least bit surprised by the NYT story, and the last time I did any acting was in sixth grade in a school play. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    And, speaking as a woman -- a woman who wore her "Pussy Grabs Back" shirt today because it has been one year since that tape that didn't stop Agent Orange from landing in the Oval Office -- this is about power, not politics. You may as well -- and should -- ask what happened to the outrage over the many (many, many) stories and accusations leveled against the current president.

My outrage is bipartisan. These men are predators, period. So is Bill Cosby, so is Jerry Sandusky (and so is Bill Clinton).

Why is the behavior allowed to continue for so long? These men have power and influence, and they are responsible for lots and lots of cash flow. Other people know but decide that it is more important to protect a revenue stream than to see that justice is carried out. These are not the only men out there who have behaved badly for extended periods, and they will not be the last. I know of several, myself, whose predatory behavior is well-known but is left largely unchecked. They sometimes find a few doors are closed to them, but they still have plenty of options to make good money, their reputations and fame are such that some people worry that leveling charges against them would damage their industry, and so they continue to prey on new victims and everyone else shakes their heads and/or looks away.

It's a damn shame. And all I, personally, can do is to choose to boycott these men's efforts, and teach my own sons that "if you see something, say something."
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • And, speaking as a woman -- a woman who wore her "Pussy Grabs Back" shirt today 
    And how did that go for you today, where did you wear it?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Don't engage it curmudgeylady, not worth your time!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    JimmyV said:
    On the left we have a party supported by a sleazy industry. On the right we have a party that happily voted the sleaziest of men into the highest office in the land. As always there is plenty of hypocrisy on both sides.
    Since Weinstein isn't President, I'm thinking one side has more hypocrisy than the other.
    edited October 2017
    JimmyV said:
    Since Weinstein isn't President, I'm thinking one side has more hypocrisy than the other.

Sure, but "Their hypocrisy is worse than our hypocrisy!" isn't a very inspiring message when you are trying to lure Independents and get to 270.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Sure, but "Their hypocrisy is worse than our hypocrisy!" isn't a very inspiring message when your trying to lure Independents and get to 270.
    If an independent has to be lured away from Trump, they aren't an independent, they are an idiot.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

Sure, but "Their hypocrisy is worse than our hypocrisy!" isn't a very inspiring message when your trying to lure Independents and get to 270.
    If an independent has to be lured away from Trump, they aren't an independent, they are an idiot.
    But you do have to give them a reason to go and vote.  If voting against Trump worked, it would have worked in the Republican primary...or the general election.  But it didn't.  SO you have to energize those that don't vote to go and vote FOR something.
    hippiemom = goodness
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

The problem wasn't independents voting for Trump. The problem was independents and others voting third party or not voting at all. A pissing contest over which major party is more hypocritical is a great way to encourage more of the same in the future.

JimmyV said:
    rgambs said:
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:

The problem wasn't independents voting for Trump. The problem was independents and others voting third party or not voting at all. A pissing contest over which major party is more hypocritical is a great way to encourage more of the same in the future.
    Sorry, I just don't buy that.
    If one stands by and lets Trump get elected because his/her panties are twisted about some boo dee hoo "lesser of evils is still evil" bullshit, he/she is an idiot.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    JimmyV said:
    Not even close to the same thing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg