Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    UGWNL is a fabulous live record. 
    I always was disappointed in the audio of that.  
    I'm always glad I'm not an audiophile. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    UGWNL is a fabulous live record. 
    I always was disappointed in the audio of that.  
    I'm always glad I'm not an audiophile. 
    :lol: I guess me too, if it means that album would sound bad to me if I were. I think it sounds just fine. ;) No, it's not one of those mind-bendingly great sounding albums that gets audiophiles raving, but it still sounds good to my ears, and the performances are just really solid, and so is the tracklist.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Allie,
    i m New to jack white and the white stripes, what live albums really stand out?
    mike 
    I think Under The Great White Northern Lights is excellent (live compilation from their 2007 Canada tour), and Jack White Live from Bonnaroo 2014 is also excellent (that's TMR Vault #22), although that one has one thing that I see as a pretty big flaw: he does a LOT of talking on that for a live album. Nearly one whole side of an LP is him just kind of babbling about nothing interesting. Jack White is amazing, but he really isn't very good with the banter at all. He gets this weird sort of fake carnival barker's voice going on. I usually LOVE stage banter... if the banter is good (like Eddie, say). JW just isn't good at it, lol. I never really say this, but the guy should just shut up and sing. Sorry Jack. :lol: But anyway, Bonnaroo is still excellent - you just might want to skip through the banter. ;)
    Roo is awesome IMO.  I think it sounds great, the set list is perfect and he was super high energy.  Plus the vault package itself is tremendous with the three colored vinyls and a great DVD.  It's my favorite vault.  

It is weird how talkative he was at that show.  I did learn a lot about Johnny Depp though!  He was in a strange mood for sure, but clearly happy to be doing a home show.  

McGruff - IMO, this is the vault to search out if you don't have it.  I always thought it was his best one.  
    Ok so I ll go for vault live at the roo and under white northern lights. Thanks for the advice guys!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I"m quite happy to be an audiophile.  To me, I don't understand the point of vinyl if not listening to music in the best possible format.  If not listening critically, then vinyl offers me no value vs. a cd, flac or even mp3.   It's just sinking money into something that takes up space.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    I"m quite happy to be an audiophile.  To me, I don't understand the point of vinyl if not listening to music in the best possible format.  If not listening critically, then vinyl offers me no value vs. a cd, flac or even mp3.   It's just sinking money into something that takes up space.  
    Well said. Reminds me I need to upgrade my equipment.
    mrussel1 said:
    I"m quite happy to be an audiophile.  To me, I don't understand the point of vinyl if not listening to music in the best possible format.  If not listening critically, then
    I was really kidding, lol. I do listen critically, and sound is important to me. I know the difference between a bad sounding record and a good sounding record, and I care about the difference. I have gotten rid of brand new albums because they didn't sound good enough. However, I may have a wider space open for what's acceptable? I don't expect sound to be absolutely fucking spectacular, and anything less isn't good enough.... And I think UTGWNL definitely sounds good enough to not reject as not worth it IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I"m quite happy to be an audiophile.  To me, I don't understand the point of vinyl if not listening to music in the best possible format.  If not listening critically, then
    I was really kidding, lol. I do listen critically, and sound is important to me. I know the difference between a bad sounding record and a good sounding record, and I care about the difference. I have gotten rid of brand new albums because they didn't sound good enough. However, I may have a wider space open for what's acceptable? I don't expect sound to be absolutely fucking spectacular, and anything less isn't good enough.... And I think UTGWNL definitely sounds good enough to not reject as not worth it IMO.
    No worries.. but I don't think it's "bad" I just said I was disappointed.  I guess I expected more from JW in some ways, particularly for something that was recorded relatively late in their career (vs. Jack and the Bricks or something like that).  

And I have also sold off or otherwise shelved things that did not beat the cd.  For example, Under the Table and Dreaming sounds EXACTLY like the cd.  It sounds good and clear, but it's so obviously cut from digital that it doesn't sound a lick different in my opinion.  I listened once, and haven't since.  I just stream the FLAC now, that way I don't have to flip records.  
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    has anybody got Vault 33 in Europe?
    mrussel1 said:
    I have a shit vinyl setup. i can't currently afford a better setup. But if a band is only releasing things I want in that format, I don't have a choice. I only buy vinyl that isn't available on cd or digitally. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1 said:
    I have a shit vinyl setup. i can't currently afford a better setup. But if a band is only releasing things I want in that format, I don't have a choice. I only buy vinyl that isn't available on cd or digitally. 
    It took me over a year but I built my setup piece by piece and am quite happy with the results.

Amazon takes AMX points!  That was my TT!
    mrussel1 said:
    It took me over a year but I built my setup piece by piece and am quite happy with the results.

Amazon takes AMX points!  That was my TT!
    Me too.  Took me many years to get where I am today with equipment.  But that's the beauty of this habit.... the products don't become obsolete. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Someone enlighten me - what do you know about The Racontwoers vinyl. Was recorded live at TMR in 2010 on RSD apparently. Live to vinyl, blue and black split vinyl. I just got one at TMR Nashville. The employees were quite confused since it wasn't listed in their system and had no price tag. Then one girl said someone "just brought them up". They even opened it to make sure it was colored as it was labeled, and one girl said "oh wow". I bought it, just can't find much info on it. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • pjpitt89 said:
    Someone enlighten me - what do you know about The Racontwoers vinyl. Was recorded live at TMR in 2010 on RSD apparently. Live to vinyl, blue and black split vinyl. I just got one at TMR Nashville. The employees were quite confused since it wasn't listed in their system and had no price tag. Then one girl said someone "just brought them up". They even opened it to make sure it was colored as it was labeled, and one girl said "oh wow". I bought it, just can't find much info on it. 
    That is a COOL RECORD!

http://thirdmanstore.com/the-racontwoers-live-at-third-man-12-vinyl
    pjpitt89 said:
    No Jack White, in case that wasn't evident.  
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    Oooohhhhhh. I didn't even notice that! ... That's kinda like Jeff, Mike, and Stone getting together with Joseph Arthur or someone and recording a live Pearl Jam cover album .... Which would actually be totally amazing - I hope they do that. :lol:
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    edited October 2017
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    Correct, that's why they played as The RaconTWOers. Haven't gotten to listen yet. According to discogs there were only 300 pressed for people in attendance. Whether thats true or not, its a great looking blue/black split record
    Post edited by pjpitt89 on
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Decided to opt out this quarter.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    JK_Livin said:
    Ditto. First Vault I've passed on. I've got too many of them that don't get played and probably need to pare down to only those that do.
    jjflash said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Ditto. First Vault I've passed on. I've got too many of them that don't get played and probably need to pare down to only those that do.
    probably going to sell all of mine. just don't get the spin they should for that price. I really wish they'd just sell the dvd's separately. those are ultimately what I dig from these. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited October 2017

someone was asking about a great White Stripes show?

This one is IT   https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-white-stripes/2001/stella-blue-asheville-nc-4bde3326.html

you might have to search but there is a good quality bootleg out there. This was the first time I had ever seen them and they blew the roof off of the place.  Last show on this tour leg and about a month before they made their debut on Jools Holland and recorded the Peel session and started their RISE to success. so happy to have been in this building.

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

jjflash said:
    JK_Livin said:
    probably going to sell all of mine. just don't get the spin they should for that price. I really wish they'd just sell the dvd's separately. those are ultimately what I dig from these. 
    How far back do you go?  I may be interested in a few. 
  • jjflash said:
    JK_Livin said:
    I need the first 12 so I'd be interested too.
    i only have a couple of the more recent ones. 

#15 Jack and the Bricks
    #23 Amazonian Lights
    #29 PJ (might keep this one)
    #32 Dead Weather Mayan

Jack White Blunderbuss inverted Lightning Bolt LP (sealed)

I think that's it. 

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    I am in way to deep now to let up. Have them all, and my subscription is actually taken out of my account before I even find out what the next one is...lol I don't know how I would live with my self if I didn't keep going.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    At this point I’m only gonna do White Stripes vaults. But I’m no longer interested in any Rac or DW shows or pre WS jack stuff. 
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Wasn't gonna get this vault but broke down at the last minute and signed back up. Being from near Detroit originally this one felt nostalgic.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    After getting the last four complimentary, felt it was only right to renew last night.
    kasedoug said:
    After getting the last four complimentary, felt it was only right to renew last night.
    how'd you manage that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD