Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    edited October 2017
    jjflash said:
    Multiple maroon-colored limited edition vinyl from the American Epic series are up in Novelties. Some really good stuff if your collection needs some foundational blues/country/roots music.
    How do these sound?  Some old recordings can be pretty rough.
    I've the 'Blues' and 'Country' compilations on black vinyl and they both sound good. They're old recordings tho and have that nice, old-time vibe to them.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mfc2006 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Mine just updated & is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Also, I forgot to cancel, so it looks like I’ll be getting #34. Hoping that it’s something good!
    I don't think it's too late to cancel #34. It hasn't even been announced yet, and you can always cancel (or subscribe) after you know what it's going to be. :)
    Hmm...not sure why I received that email then. I’ll send them an email. Thanks.
    Oh, maybe I missed something, but what did the email say??
    It’s a vault payment. 3 months after I ordered #33. Doesn’t look like I can reverse it, so I hope that #34 is great!
    Ooohhh, sorry, I know what I was thinking - I've always been able to pick and choose because I've always cancelled my subscription before it's too late to do so, and then resubscribe after the next one's announced and I find out if I want it or not. I just remember that I didn't do that once, and ended up with that fucking Loretta Lynn vault against my will, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    jjflash said:
    Multiple maroon-colored limited edition vinyl from the American Epic series are up in Novelties. Some really good stuff if your collection needs some foundational blues/country/roots music.
    How do these sound?  Some old recordings can be pretty rough.
    All sound great.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    anyone ever heard Redd Blood Cells? It's the bassist from Redd Kross who added bass tracks to White Blood Cells. I believe Jack and Meg gave their blessing, but I'm not sure. If anyone wants it, I can wetransfer it to you. 

http://www.reddkross.com/features/RBC/

In the summer of 2002, Steven came up with the idea to do an art experiment by adding bass tracks to 2 White Stripes songs and sharing them with Redd Kross fans via the internet. The overwhelmingly positive response inspired him to cover the entire "White Blood Cells" record. Word spread quickly over the internet and soon press such as Entertainment WeeklyPitchfork Mediathe NY Times, BB Gun to name but a few ran articles about "Redd Blood Cells." Check out the animated explaination of the project, and at Creative Commons.

The original intent was to post 2 songs per week, and it would all be over within a 2 month span of time; however the popularity of this art project has made us decide to archive at least part of it on www.ReddKross.com since so many people still come to the site looking for it.

We've decide to leave Steven's diary and comments as he worked on the record, and a few artifacts that happened along the way. If you are looking for the actual MP3's, in honor with keeping with the original intent, they are no longer available here ... check music and file sharing services and good luck. The online CD was downloaded over 60,000 times, so there's a good chance you will be able to find them out there.

Thank you to everyone who supported Redd Blood Cells, as well as the curiosity seekers. We hope you enjoy this digital time-capsule.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

although I just realized I only have 10 of the 16 tracks for some reason. Dangit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I'll be honest, I want it but I have trouble now listening to all the live WS albums I have. Are these complete shows?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    I'll be honest, I want it but I have trouble now listening to all the live WS albums I have. Are these complete shows?
    Sounds like it

Live at the Magic Bag 7-30-1999

Jimmy the Exploder
    Wasting My Time
    Astro
    Cannon / John the Revelator (traditional)
    The Big Three Killed My Baby
    I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself (Bacharach/David)
    Love Sick (Bob Dylan) (piano)
    Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (piano)
    St. James Infirmary (traditional) (piano)
    Suzy Lee
    Stop Breaking Down (Robert Johnson)
    Lafayette Blues
    The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
    You’ve Got Her In Your Pocket (piano)
    Broken Bricks

Live at the Magic Stick 8-18-2000

You’re Pretty Good Looking (for a Girl)
    When I Hear My Name
    Jolene (Dolly Parton)
    Cannon/John the Revelator (traditional)
    Apple Blossom
    Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
    Death Letter (Son House)
    Little Bird
    Jimmy the Exploder
    I’m Bound to Pack It Up
    Broken Bricks
    Hello Operator
    Astro / Jack the Ripper (Screaming Lord Sutch)
    Ashtray Heart (Captain Beefheart)
    Do
    Let’s Shake Hands

Live at the Gold Dollar 6-7-2001

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
    Hotel Yorba
    I’m Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman
    Fell in Love With a Girl
    Expecting
    Little Room
    The Union Forever
    The Same Boy You’ve Always Known
    We’re Going to Be Friends
    Offend in Every Way
    I Think I Smell a Rat
    Aluminum
    I Can’t Wait
    Now Mary
    I Can Learn
    This Protector

JK_Livin said:
    any recordings of Winnipeg 2007 or Vancouver 2005 available?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JK_Livin said:
    I have no idea.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    JK_Livin said:
    I have no idea.
    I can't see pics at work, so I didn't know you were responding to the announcement of vault 34. I thought maybe steelerfan had some bootlegs or something. 

I'm going to pass on this one. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    how the hell do you unsubscribe? I can't find a link on my account at TMR. I must have unsubscribed before, but I don't remember how!

edit: never mind. found it. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited October 2017
    JK_Livin said:
    Ditto re: listening to the live albums. I've been a member of the Vault since Day One and fortunate to have all of 'em. However, many are collecting dust (probably gonna be selling some of those soon) and this one probably would as well. Just cancelled my membership and'll hop back on the train for a future vault that piques my interest.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Is it just the sound of the live albums you guys don't like? (i.e. the playing style)
    bflynn1 said:
    Is it just the sound of the live albums you guys don't like? (i.e. the playing style)
    Love their studio work and def glad to have some live material in my collection but I only need so many TWS live albums. After a while it becomes a bit redundant. 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Hmm... Two White Stripes packages back to back. Was hoping to get a break this quarter but here, take my money. I think they realise that anything White Stripes sells best. They've ditched the 7" again as well.
    FR181798 said:
    Hmm... Two White Stripes packages back to back. Was hoping to get a break this quarter but here, take my money. I think they realise that anything White Stripes sells best. They've ditched the 7" again as well.
    that was part of what didn't appeal to me this time. I always dig the 7" and dvd. the poster is not something I care for. it would be cool if you were at one of those shows, but otherwise.....
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Hmmmm I think I'll cancel soon before this drops. Don't have any live ws stuff but these set lists don't really blow my mind when I glance at them.  Plus I've been bothered with myself for buying the icky box....  all I really want are the 12" records, the rest is all a lot of waste to me.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    For me it has nothing to do with the sound, it's about the abundance of live WS I have. I have until the end of the month to decide.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Got the Peel Sessions in the mail yesterday....holy shit this is good!  mind blown.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    I'm digging record one much more than record two.
    edited October 2017
    Hmm. Maybe I should break out some of my WS/JW records. I have so fucking many of them, lol. I actually have no recollection of what the Peel Sessions sound like - it's actually like if I have a big collection of one artist (like PJ, LZ, WS, NY, QOTSA for me), it makes me listen to them less instead of more because they all drown each other out or make me feel like I listen to them too much, going by how many of their albums I have, so I reach for the one-off artist instead, lol. I don't think I've even played the last TMR Vault I got. :pensive: That's fucking stupid. :loser:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Allie,
    i m New to jack white and the white stripes, what live albums really stand out?
    mike 
    edited October 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    Allie,
    mike 
    I think Under The Great White Northern Lights is excellent (live compilation from their 2007 Canada tour), and Jack White Live from Bonnaroo 2014 is also excellent (that's TMR Vault #22), although that one has one thing that I see as a pretty big flaw: he does a LOT of talking on that for a live album. Nearly one whole side of an LP is him just kind of babbling about nothing interesting. Jack White is amazing, but he really isn't very good with the banter at all. He gets this weird sort of fake carnival barker's voice going on. I usually LOVE stage banter... if the banter is good (like Eddie, say). JW just isn't good at it, lol. I never really say this, but the guy should just shut up and sing. Sorry Jack. :lol: But anyway, Bonnaroo is still excellent - you just might want to skip through the banter. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    UGWNL is a fabulous live record. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    Live in Mississippi - Vault #8 - best show ever. Guess it's their last show.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    UGWNL is a fabulous live record. 
    I always was disappointed in the audio of that.  
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Allie,
    mike 
    I think Under The Great White Northern Lights is excellent (live compilation from their 2007 Canada tour), and Jack White Live from Bonnaroo 2014 is also excellent (that's TMR Vault #22), although that one has one thing that I see as a pretty big flaw: he does a LOT of talking on that for a live album. Nearly one whole side of an LP is him just kind of babbling about nothing interesting. Jack White is amazing, but he really isn't very good with the banter at all. He gets this weird sort of fake carnival barker's voice going on. I usually LOVE stage banter... if the banter is good (like Eddie, say). JW just isn't good at it, lol. I never really say this, but the guy should just shut up and sing. Sorry Jack. :lol: But anyway, Bonnaroo is still excellent - you just might want to skip through the banter. ;)
    Roo is awesome IMO.  I think it sounds great, the set list is perfect and he was super high energy.  Plus the vault package itself is tremendous with the three colored vinyls and a great DVD.  It's my favorite vault.  

It is weird how talkative he was at that show.  I did learn a lot about Johnny Depp though!  He was in a strange mood for sure, but clearly happy to be doing a home show.  

McGruff - IMO, this is the vault to search out if you don't have it.  I always thought it was his best one.