The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    The first time I made hard cider I puked my guts out.  It was awful! 
    I do enjoy some good stuff, though.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Had my favorite NYC (53rd and 6th) street meat for the 2:40 a.m. train back to Boston. Smelled up that train car something fierce. You're welcome, fellow passengers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Do I dare ask what "street meat" is?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    edited October 2017
    I believe I asked this on the Pizza thread on accident.

Where in NY can I find Abondigas soup?  Has anyone had any luck finding a place that makes it?

hedonist
    said:
    Do I dare ask what "street meat" is?
    This is usually "Halal" meat.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    That looks great!  ^^  Especially late night.

I love Albondigas soup.  My cousin's wife used to make a mean version of this.
    Never had in NY
    Mmm mmm good-lookin'.
  • That looks great!  ^^  Especially late night.

Never had in NY
    I have been to a dozen "Mexican" restaurants and they all look at me like I have 10 heads when I ask for Abondigas.  The places out here are more South American than Mexican.

My recent trip to Cali I had me some Abondigas and I was happy.  Had Tri-tip too.  Missed all that living here on the east coast.

Never had in NY
    I have been to a dozen "Mexican" restaurants and they all look at me like I have 10 heads when I ask for Abondigas.  The places out here are more South American than Mexican.

My recent trip to Cali I had me some Abondigas and I was happy.  Had Tri-tip too.  Missed all that living here on the east coast.
    Should have taken pics...we had our company picnic on Saturday, which brought me to SoCal.
    We had a local taco truck come to the park where we were and serve up some authentic SoCal Mexican Street Food.
    I fucking killed my stomach but ate 6 Al Pastor tacos, loaded with onion, cilantro, and salsa verde.  The guy laughed at me when i came back for 2 more (both times) and did not change to Chicken or Carne Asada...he told me 'You know what's up!'. 
    Shit was so good.
    Oh, and the 16 coors lights mixed in with volleyball, whiffle ball, and drinking horse, didn't help my stomach. 
    Ate handfuls of Tums twice before the pizza meet up on Sunday.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Never had in NY

Should have taken pics...we had our company picnic on Saturday, which brought me to SoCal.
    We had a local taco truck come to the park where we were and serve up some authentic SoCal Mexican Street Food.
    I fucking killed my stomach but ate 6 Al Pastor tacos, loaded with onion, cilantro, and salsa verde.  The guy laughed at me when i came back for 2 more (both times) and did not change to Chicken or Carne Asada...he told me 'You know what's up!'. 
    Shit was so good.
    Oh, and the 16 coors lights mixed in with volleyball, whiffle ball, and drinking horse, didn't help my stomach. 
    You are the very soul of moderation, F Me  =) 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Ever ones to jump on a trend, Starbucks now offers sous vide eggs. Colour me suspicious, particularly when you know that they are then going to be microwaved. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Never had in NY

Shit was so good.
    You are the very soul of moderation, F Me  =) 

https://youtu.be/XPFMzskXZvY

https://youtu.be/y4usE2RePqo

• That looks great!  ^^  Especially late night.

Never had in NY

Shit was so good.
    I love me some Mexican tacos.  Cilantro, onion, meat and a tortilla.  Some hot sauce too.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Ever ones to jump on a trend, Starbucks now offers sous vide eggs. Colour me suspicious, particularly when you know that they are then going to be microwaved. 

Those are actually really good, but the price of $5 for those 2 little things is ridiculous.  I'd need to eat at least 4 of those things to fill me up.  I'd much rather go with a breakfast sandwich there....bacon and gouda sandwich is very good.
    edited October 2017
    The packaging look leaves much to be desired.
    Huevos, indeed.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017
    dankind said:
    Does street meat also include those kabobs sold off of carts in NYC? I liked those.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Last time I was in Chicago I stopped in The Famous Taco Burrito on the corner of N Western and W Addison.  It's just one of those small strip mall joints but damn was it good!  In addition to the normal meat fare, they offer both tongue and tripe tacos.  Naturally I had to try both and also got a chorizo burrito.  I'd have to say the tongue taco was the best.  Everything was quite good!
    tacos de lengua y tripa!  

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited October 2017
    Boars Head cracked pepper turkey and pepper salami with provolone and mustard, and roasted peppers on rye with wheat thins. Brown bagged it!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Boars Head cracked pepper turkey and pepper salami with provolone and mustard, and roasted peppers on rye with wheat thins. Brown bagged it!
    Did your neighbor make it?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    dankind said:
    Did your neighbor make it?
    He's not my neighbor anymore!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

So many variations on cooking.
    How do you do 'em?

Start with eggs that have been sitting a while.
    I put a dozen eggs in a pot.
    Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Remove from heat & cover.
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in ice bath for 1 minute.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    I have yet to try red salt, but man - I love a good hard-boiled egg!  Simple with salt and pepper, or the devil's way.

Just picked up some oatmeal for breakfast from the French cafe on the corner.  Topped with bananas, strawberries, toasted almonds and some brown sugar.

:bow:
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

So many variations on cooking.
    How do you do 'em?

Start with eggs that have been sitting a while.
    I put a dozen eggs in a pot.
    Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Remove from heat & cover.
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in ice bath for 1 minute.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    I'm asking for an egg cooker for Christmas because I have tried every method and haven't nailed it yet.
    It may just be that my eggs are too fresh, but I have not had success in getting a cosmetically acceptable peel.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    That might be it.  How old would you guess eggs are when they hit the stores?  I think they need to sit at home from the store for at least a week.  
    Even then, every so often I end up with ones that peel like crap. (this morning's batch, actually)
    My wife's aunt makes the best deviled eggs....so good!
    She swears by boiling water, adding eggs and vinegar, and keeping them boiling for 12 minutes.
    I don't like the yolks when I tried that but it shows how many different ways there are.
    My three year old loves a sunny side up eggs on a biscuit.  He says "goodbye yolk!" And smooshes the top of the biscuit on before eating.  

Eggs are great.   Fresh eggs are far superior (as you know) for almost every way I know how to cook.  In VT, there were always fresh eggs available in a quick drive....here I wouldn't know how to get.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited October 2017

My gym bag this AM lol

Farmers have 30 days to carton the eggs and then 30 days to get them on the shelf of a store.  It then has between 2 and 4 weeks to sell.
    Average age is about 40 days!
    Then add the time in your fridge, and you are looking at eggs almost 2 months old.
    Of course, they can last double that under ideal conditions, but there is a daily depreciation of flavor.  I try to eat one chicken butt warm every day, but I give my freshest ones away.
    I also don't refrigerate.

I boil mine at about 2-3 weeks and it's just not long enough for the albumen to shrink and separate from the shell.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambs said:

My gym bag this AM lol

Farmers have 30 days to carton the eggs and then 30 days to get them on the shelf of a store.  It then has between 2 and 4 weeks to sell.
    Average age is about 40 days!
    Then add the time in your fridge, and you are looking at eggs almost 2 months old.
    Of course, they can last double that under ideal conditions, but there is a daily depreciation of flavor.  I try to eat one chicken butt warm every day, but I give my freshest ones away.
    I also don't refrigerate.

I boil mine at about 2-3 weeks and it's just not long enough for the albumen to shrink and separate from the shell.
    Who the hell has eggs sitting around for 30 days?!?  Deal lord man...

That is good to know if the apocalypse comes though.  I'll be raising chickens!