Let's Play Two

Comments

• SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I wish they would have turned up the volume of the crowd in the LP2 soundtrack. They don't capture the live feeling of PJ live very well when they have the crowd so drowned out.

I guess as an example, my favorite show ever was the Moline show. The day after the show I downloaded an audience boot from a link I found here. I then of course bought the official bootleg when it came out. To this day, I just enjoy the audience bootleg a lot more. Yeah it's not as clean of a sound of the band, but it feels like the concert I was at. It literally makes me feel like I'm back in the GA for the epic show., The official bootleg loses all that. It loses the crowd singing, it loses the crowd clapping along to Hail, Hail...all that fun stuff is gone. Not meaning to complain...I just think this could be done a wee bit better.
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    I've listened to this thing a few times since it arrived, and the standout performance for me is Inside Job by far.  I haven't heard Ed so engaged with the song in years. It's a beautiful performance from him, delicate in the right places during the opening verses.  I can't wait to see the visual side of this on Wednesday.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Sarava said:
    I wish they would have turned up the volume of the crowd in the LP2 soundtrack. They don't capture the live feeling of PJ live very well when they have the crowd so drowned out.

I guess as an example, my favorite show ever was the Moline show. The day after the show I downloaded an audience boot from a link I found here. I then of course bought the official bootleg when it came out. To this day, I just enjoy the audience bootleg a lot more. Yeah it's not as clean of a sound of the band, but it feels like the concert I was at. It literally makes me feel like I'm back in the GA for the epic show., The official bootleg loses all that. It loses the crowd singing, it loses the crowd clapping along to Hail, Hail...all that fun stuff is gone. Not meaning to complain...I just think this could be done a wee bit better.
    Crowd noise is probably always a difficult thing to gauge, especially from venue to venue. Even moreso in a massive outdoor one. I trust them to give us the best balance on a bootleg, even if that varies a bit. Probably important to remember that LP2 is a “soundtrack”. I would even assume that Clinch had separate tracking for crowd noise to level in and out of the film as he saw fit, so that’d be all the more reason to have very little of it in the mix. I haven’t had a chance to spin mine yet, but I might like that this may be a little more polished and isolated as a listening experience - especially for the sake of a vinyl package (Maybe similar to Third Man). If the Corduroy video that was shared is any indication, it will certainly capture enough of that live energy for me. 
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    Have my movie ticket for Tuesday night in Pico Rivera, CA. Can't wait! 
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 380
    Saw it Saturday night at a drive in in CT.  Really fun atmosphere to watch a movie as people had their speakers blasting so you could walk to the restroom and not miss any music!  The concert footage is fantastic with great versions of the songs (esp. Inside Job and Release) and the band's show never looked better onscreen than it does here (kudos to Cinch!)  There is a fair amount of baseball stuff in there which might be a plus or minus depending on your interest level.   Its more like Imagine in Cornice if there were fewer complete song performances and the in between background segments given a more prominent role.  I only wish there was more of the rooftop rehearsal featured (maybe on the bluray?) and a little more Stone and Matt.  All in all, a really fun experience and of a very high quality both visually and sound wise.
  • I just got my Let's Play Two vinyl and I got sides C&D for both discs. Anyone else have that problem?
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    The cd soundtrack has arrived in Melbourne Australia one day before the movie screening. Ordered the cd via ten club! Cheers ten club! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Does the vinyl include a digital download?
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    wall232 said:
    Not too excited about this being more of a Cubs movie, not all of us have jumped on their bandwagon just because Eddie is a fan, but I'll still go see the movie. Hopefully there's enough live music to hold me over from all the Cubs nonsense. 

Well there is definitely more live music than Cubs stuff. And most of the "Cubs" stidf is about the fans

But yes it's about the Cubs. But really it's about being invested in something. About caring about something stupid like baseball or rock music. And it's about community. 

To me the joy in the streets when they win, it's not different than the whole crowd singing these songs that have been with us for most of our lives. 

Take that for what it's worth but that's what I took away from it. 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    username said:
    Does the vinyl include a digital download?
    No
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Sarava said:

I've been finding that to be an issue for all of their live recordings for the past 4 years or so. Even on their boots, there are times when it almost sounds like Eddie simply stopped singing for no reason... but no, he's just letting the crowd sing... and they are singing, really well. You just can't hear it on the boot. :confused:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    Sarava said:

I've been finding that to be an issue for all of their live recordings for the past 4 years or so. Even on their boots, there are times when it almost sounds like Eddie simply stopped singing for no reason... but no, he's just letting the crowd sing... and they are singing, really well. You just can't hear it on the boot. :confused:
    Yeah the thing about not raising the volume of the crowd during sing-alongs must be considered a mistake/oversight. But it happens on pretty much every boot. 

It sucks. 

Generally I think that crowdnoise-levels is a balance and boils down to personal taste, you can have alot or nothing at all like Bad Religion did on one live album. But during sing-alongs – it just sounds so sad, embarrassing with it just going silent. 

It must be because the mixer of the boots work so fast they don't have the time to listen through the whole songs?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I was bit disappointed with the soundtrack, to be honest. The song selection is good enough, although they are certainly not definitive versions of most of them. I just really hate it when live albums have a fade out in between songs. It's the one thing that ruins Chris Cornell's 'Songbook' for me, and it's the same here. I know we've been spoiled by years of complete bootlegs, but there's no real flow to it when the crowd fades out to silence at the end of a song, and then fades back in at the start of the next one.

The completist in me bought the vinyl and cd, and I'll pick up the blu ray because I'd like to see the film. But the vinyl will stay on the shelf now, and the cd probably won't get played more than a couple of times. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    goldrush said:
    I was bit disappointed with the soundtrack, to be honest. The song selection is good enough, although they are certainly not definitive versions of most of them. I just really hate it when live albums have a fade out in between songs. It's the one thing that ruins Chris Cornell's 'Songbook' for me, and it's the same here. I know we've been spoiled by years of complete bootlegs, but there's no real flow to it when the crowd fades out to silence at the end of a song, and then fades back in at the start of the next one.

The completist in me bought the vinyl and cd, and I'll pick up the blu ray because I'd like to see the film. But the vinyl will stay on the shelf now, and the cd probably won't get played more than a couple of times. 
    Agreed 100%..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    https://pearljam.com/news/rescheduled-lets-play-two-park-at-wrigley-screening
    Rescheduled - 'Let's Play Two' Park at Wrigley Screening
    News October 11 2017

Due to the rescheduling of NLDS Game 4 to tonight (Oct. 11) the FREE screening of Let's Play Two at the Park at Wrigley will be postponed to Monday, Oct. 16 at 7pm.

Gates Open @ 6pm | Film Starts @ 7
     Space is limited, so please arrive on time to secure a spot

Can't make the Park at Wrigley screening? ArcLight Cinemas in Chicago and Glenview is still showing Let's Play Two tonight (Oct. 11) and tomorrow night (Oct. 12). 

• SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    edited October 2017

Let's Play Two will have its television premiere on FS1 FOX Sports 1 following Game 1 of the 2017 American League Championships on Friday, October 13th. Check your local listings for approximate air times.
    https://pearljam.com/news/lets-play-two-on-fox-sports-1

Post edited by Sea on
  • EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 473
    is this likely to be the 'full' version, or a cut-down version (like what Eagle Rock tend to do with their 'making of' dvd's...)
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    If the Yankees advance to the ALCS you should set your dvr to end around 3 a.m. just in case
    I miss igotid88
    Yankees advanced. So going by today's game. They're still on the post game and it's 12:37 a.m.
    I miss igotid88
    1:11 a.m. still on the post game
    I miss igotid88
    east coast people set your dvr to end at 4 a.m. just to be safe. And that's only if it goes 9 innings
    I miss igotid88
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    For those worried about DVR issues, a replay will be on Sunday night. Verified on my Xfinity guide (times shown are Central time):

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    So, this will be the full unedited version?
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    demetrios said:
    Woohoo, 3:22 in! 

The Rock said:
    So, this will be the full unedited version?
    That's what they're claiming, with limited commercials.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    igotid88 said:
    east coast people set your dvr to end at 4 a.m. just to be safe. And that's only if it goes 9 innings
    I think i'll just wait until the Blu-Ray comes. I'm a night-owl, but even that's too late for me.
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    I just got my Let's Play Two vinyl and I got sides C&D for both discs. Anyone else have that problem?
    That's freakin bizarre.

Haven't checked mine, but I will when I'm back home in a few days.
    Anyone else notice this??
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
    It says immediately after game 1. So does that mean there's no postgame?
    I miss igotid88
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    wall232 said:
    Not too excited about this being more of a Cubs movie, not all of us have jumped on their bandwagon just because Eddie is a fan, but I'll still go see the movie. Hopefully there's enough live music to hold me over from all the Cubs nonsense. 

Well there is definitely more live music than Cubs stuff. And most of the "Cubs" stidf is about the fans

But yes it's about the Cubs. But really it's about being invested in something. About caring about something stupid like baseball or rock music. And it's about community. 

To me the joy in the streets when they win, it's not different than the whole crowd singing these songs that have been with us for most of our lives. 

Take that for what it's worth but that's what I took away from it. 
    I saw it at the IFC the day it was released and really enjoyed it, Danny did a great job. My love of PJ outweighs my dislike for the Cubs so I was good with it. I do agree with pretty much everything you wrote. 

NYPJ
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    Would be great if they released a special collectors edition Blu-ray too for Let's Play Two.